What is your opinion on Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven?

What is your opinion on Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven?

Attached: 516GXW2N27L._SY445_.jpg (312x445, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kEbJxWEvMJ4
youtube.com/watch?v=8GVjWgxEmL8
youtube.com/watch?v=5ynAS1ff2P4
youtube.com/watch?v=aD2mDtE72VI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

good ninja stealth game but PSX Tenchu games were better

Bretty gud but didn't have the kino effect of the first 2

Fucking three characters with two story campaigns each and awesome multiplayer where you can play as every character in the game, including the evil CEO. Game was the tits booooyyyeeee

What the fuck, I just played this yesterday
Can you guys help my brainlet ass, I played through the first level, got to the boss and he wrecked my shit and I had to restart the level, do you have any tips for me?

ECHIGOYAAAA

git gud

This is the truth.

Well its the best Tenchu game. One of the best stealth games I've ever played. Multiplayer was fun.

multiplayer was really fun, I just played that all the time. didn't get very far into single player

It's in my top 5 favourite games of all time. It has the best movement controls of any game I've played. The combat system is also surprisingly deep and people don't give it enough credit for that.

Assuming you're playing on Layout 1, there's a Ninja Rebirth item outside the door of both boss rooms in the level. Remember you can dodge by tapping X while locked on. Also, use caltrops.

Good, but a step down from the first two entries. I'm also a little more fond of the Shinobido games.

youtube.com/watch?v=kEbJxWEvMJ4

Of the Tenchu games I've played:
Tenchu 2 > Tenchu Z > Tenchu 3 > Tenchu 1 > Tenchu FS

>FS that low
FS is just WoH except slightly worse.

Precisely. Being exactly like the last game but not as good is the worst kind of sequel because it doesn't change anything and is worse for not improving or expanding upon the core gameplay.

youtube.com/watch?v=8GVjWgxEmL8

Kino intro

bring back the level creator

I have extremely fond memories of the game. My cousin and I would play multiplayer all the time. He beat Rikimaru's campaign and I beat Ayame's. I loved trolling him as the little robot baby or whatever it was in 1v1s

not nearly as good as fatal shadows, the best game in the franchise, but pretty good.

fatal shadows is an improvement over WOH in every way besides not having multiplayer

What makes Fatal Shadows good?

I'll get the personal opinion out of the way first, I just really dig the asthetic and story of the game. It's very grounded compared to other tenchu games with no weird magic shit. Also rikmaru always kind of sucked compared to ayame in terms of gameplay and as a character, so making her the lead and having an actually fun second character with an extremely angry little girl was a nice contrast

The main thing is that it's wrath of heaven except with much better level design and a bunch of new mechanics as well as returning ones from the PS1 games like water. The combat also has more depth so it's more enjoyable to fight bosses instead of just cheesing them with items and it has side content that better takes advantage of it.

Also it actually has a goddamned tutorial.

oh yeah, and it's got some great music and a cool tv show style presentation to the story stuff instead of coming off like a b martial arts movie
youtube.com/watch?v=5ynAS1ff2P4
youtube.com/watch?v=aD2mDtE72VI

Wow I thought I was a fan of Tenchu but I've never even heard of this game and I loved playing as Ayame.

Guess I got something new to add to the emulation list

They should let you play the xbox version on an XboneX at 4k.

I usually don't like cinematic takedowns but Tenchu for some reason I actually enjoy it, maybe its the gore or maybe its the buildup, but I love watching a dude get his throat slit

What's the difference between Wrath of Heaven and Return from Darkness because I played Return from Darkness.

Fatal Shadows is one step forward, two steps back from WoH.

Improvements:
>Double Stealth Kills
>better AI
>boss rush mode
>restart mission option in pause menu
>brought back swimming

Downgrades:
>have to grind for scrolls to get upgrades rather that just getting stealth kills
>fewer cool items like disguises and fire magic
>can't select characters, the game decides when you play as Ayame or Rin
>worse level design
>less variety in locations (every level is either a cave or a village)
>worse bosses
>no cool bonus campaigns or missions like Through The Portal

Fatal Shadows was a good game, but it was the start of the decline for the series.

I like Fatal Shadows a lot more.

Return To Darkness is basically Wrath of Heaven: Final Mix

Cool, so I had the privilege of playing the better version.

Is Sekiro a good Tenchu successor? I'm thinking about buying but I'm just not feeling it, they should have just made an actual Tenchu game like they said they would before scrapping it and turning it into Sekiro.

I'm playing it right now, and the similarities are vague at best. The stealth is significantly worse than even Tenchu 1 and the combat is just Bloodborne without a stamina gauge. The biggest reference to the series I've seen is that there's a horse in the game called Onikage, which felt like a massive cocktease considering what Sekiro was originally supposed to be.

Great game. The Onikage fight taught me the importance of blocking

I feel like you have some weird nostalgia for WOH or just didn't play FS a lot
>have to grind for scrolls to get upgrades rather that just getting stealth kills
this is much better than having to replay the same level over and over in order to actually get moves for it because it leaves it up to you what moves you want to get first
>fewer cool items like disguises and fire magic
both of these are still in the game. literally every item from wrath of heaven except for ayames lifedrain swords is back as well as a bunch of new stuff like claws that let you hang on walls
>can't select characters, the game decides when you play as Ayame or Rin
This is a good thing because both characters are actually fun and they are a lot more fleshed out in their differences so they can design levels to fit their unique quirks better. unlike WOH where you go through the same linear hallway/bottomless pit filled levels as three characters with the main changes being sometimes you go in a different order through the level and what boss you fight. you generally do every area as both characters anyway
>worse level design
I already kinda went into this but on top of the above FS is a lot better about having verticality as a focus in levels and the areas are generally a lot more open as well
>less variety in locations (every level is either a cave or a village)
because it's not a wacky cartoon like WOS.
>worse bosses
They're not as distinct visually but they have more going in in terms of fighting them
>no cool bonus campaigns or missions like Through The Portal
not only does through the portal suck. but fatal shadows has actually fun bonus modes like pit fight/red blade that actually test your ability to play the game instead of your ability to get shot by guns or abuse caltrops on a boss that reads your inputs.

no.
it is just a little inpired by it,

Breddy gud game. As a matter of fact, all 4 first games were pretty kino. Even though FS felt like one game too much, Z was a way bigger disappointment.

>Through the portal sucks

I was with you until the end, my friend. Through The Portal was like a cherry on top of your favorite dessert

I was the same, honestly. I only played it recently but I really like it, felt like I was missing out on something the whole time.

THE SECRET INVENTION

wrath of heaven was always a bad game that removed a bunch of key mechanics from the previous tenchu games (how do you make a stealth game where you can't move bodies but guards can still see them and get mad? at least MGS1 just makes people dispear magically) and had way way way too many instant death pitfalls for a game with levels that can take 20 minutes if you don't know the exact way through due to everything looking so samey

I really liked it at the time but I haven't gone back to it since I don't have a CRT anymore and emulation sucks.

Soundtrack kicks ass, characters, stealth kills, fighting all is good. Also additional enemy layouts made game more replayable.Also it didnt punish you for Slaughtering whole levels. I wish stealth more games were like this. If they gonna port this to steam its instabuy for me. Also it works amazing on emulator. Call me a shill but its peak kino, soul meme game. Also it was ported to psp(xbox ver. of the game- two additional levels)

Man, Tenchu games after 2 are all trash. Even the intros are a complete failure.

An amazing game that really has all the marks of a content-packed old school game. Call me a boomer, but this sort of game really doesn't exist anymore. Today we would have this instead

>Tesshu campaign sold as DLC
>Multiplayer sold as DLC+online on console
>Some items are gonna be DLC
>Extra missions DLC
>Multiplayer characters DLC
>Joke script also DLC

It would be torn to fucking pieces and that's depressing.

Not him, but
>this is much better than having to replay the same level over and over
Why would you do that? You only need more or less 9 stealth kills to unlock new moves. Grinding for scrolls take way longer.
>because it's not a wacky cartoon like WOS.
Well, I guess I'd rather have more variety in locations than having a more grounded story.

I'm not calling you a boomer, I'm calling you a straight up faggot. Nobody asked for you to shit up the place by nostalgiafagging all over us. Besides,
>PS2
>oldschool

the PS2 is older than people who can legally post here. get with the times

>you generally do every area as both characters anyway
This is what was good about it. The levels are mazes with multiple pathways that actually encourage you to use the abilities you unlock. The Buddha Temple is a good example since to get through the long section with pits you can eith wall kick your way across it, angle your jumps properly, use the grappling hook or bypass it entirely unless you're trying to kill every enemy in the level. Then you have Tesshu who requires more precise movements in some cases. I like that every level is basically an obstacle course with multiple solutions rather than being a big open plain where you can skip to the end in 2 seconds.

Is this game related to Tenchu?
also Should I buy this?
I saw it in local game shop the other day

Attached: 81Z+WLdsEOL._AC_SX215_.jpg (215x274, 16K)

PURE kino, the entire series is kino, giev more tenchu games

>dat intro tho

>too many instadeath pitfalls
Just jump over them. Or find a route with fewer pitfalls.

Hiding bodies also doesn't matter that much when either using a disguise or letting a guard catch a brief glimpse of you will make them forget about the body. The alert phase also only lasts a few seconds.

Developers of the first 2 Tenchu games made it. Do get it.

I love WoH but he's right, some of the trap doors were absolute fucking bullshit

Especially in the doll castle, shit was a maze to begin with, you spend 30 minutes getting lost slaughtering all the dolls, then fall down a trap door and it's instant game over, it should've at least given you a quicktime event or something

>nostalgia
>for a game released less than 2 years prior

i'm not even talking about the pitfalls, but shit like "you grappled to this point but even though we let you hook to that wall you were 1 pixel off so instead of grabbing the ledge you die in areas that are mandatory to progress through like the caves or the buddha temple

trying to downplay dumbing down the mechanics with "just use this item that requires you to get a grandmaster rank on one of the later levels. or just get caught" is stupid as hell.

>tfw Rikimaru calls Tenrai an asswipe when he lands the final blow like it's some B-grade action movie
Why don't more games have joke dubs?

The floorboards creek when they're about to collapse though.