>comp randoly shuts down
>no error message, nada
>pop open tower and try running
>GPU spontaneously combusts
>unplug everything/blow out flames
>remove GPU
>after some fretting, try powering on sans GPU
>everythingworksfine.jpg
>cautious about seeking a simple fix but also need my PC to enjoy the long holiday I have
>supportive fiancee eventually convinces me to just buy another GPU at a nearby shop
>it's a small upgrade (GTX1070 to RTX2060) at roughly the same price I bought the original
>plug it in, works fine
>still immensely concerned about what caused the issue
I clean my PC regularly with compressed air on the inside. The only time I used it recklessly was during a hurricane almost two years back where a power surge knocked it out. I had to replace the RAM, but there were no GPU issues since. Other than that, about a year ago, I shipped it overeas (I was lazy and just shoved bubble wrap into the tower instead of taking the GPU out and shipping separately like my compsci friend told me to). The thing is, 14 months later, I haven't had an issue until today. Some cursory research showed that my EVGA card might have a tendency to combust (pic related). I dunno if that entitles me to a replacement despite being over the initial factory two-year warranty.

Either way, I'm trying to surmise what might have caused it otherwise, and the only issue I can come up with is voltage. I built my PC in America but am in Japan atm. I have an adapter for my PC and, again, no issues until now. Moreover, the power supply is working fine.

I guess I just want to verify with anyone who's listening on Yea Forums that it was simply a GPU malfunction and that replacing it was the only way to go.

Attached: lit fam.jpg (1280x720, 137K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Always try RMA before buying a new card. It would tell you a hell of a lot more than people on the internet guessing about what happened.

What do you mean by "try RMA?" I know I was being impatient, but the manufacturer's website told me two years was the warranty. There weren't any special notes there or anywhere else that extended it for this specific malfunction.

EVGA has been known to replace out of warranty, and I do remember hearing about some thermal issues busting components that they had to provide support for. You should always try contacting the manufacturer before spending money, especially if the issue ends up being with a different part of your system.

Good to know. I'm not too hung up about the upgrade, but I'll contact EVGA anyways to make sure. At the very least I can be sitting on two mid-tier GPUs in case of an emergency. Thanks again.

Maybe it was a faulty fan?

From what I've read it has something to do with how the EVGA cards distribute heat. I was unable to get it open to see where exactly the burn originated.

When I got an overheating GPU, the problem was simply that the cooler fan stopped running.

They replacing the thermal paste. I doubt its voltage it's the psu job to handle that.

Tmax would kick in regardless. Thermal design failure can happen to cards in conditions where specific components that can't give temp readings end up killing themselves because they have no access to passive or cooling. Specifically on the back of the card, from what I remember.

Could be. I know the fans stop when something comes into contact with them, but I steer the internal chords clear on any moving parts. If it just broke down on its own, I wouldn't know how to tell.

Thermal paste on the GPU? Did I miss a step when installing?

As I posted, at first it was a flat shutdown followed by the fire. I don't know if that coincides with your explanation, but at the very least this is all sounding like I did nothing wrong, thankfully.

GPUs come with high quality thermal paste from factory and don't need replacing unless you use it for many years or have to open it up for repairs.

Two years doesn't sound like it warrants any tinkering. But it's a good tidbit to know nonetheless. Thanks.

>paid the nvidiot and evga tax
>paid it again for a second time
Le nvidia user faec

Replacing thermal paste won't fix a card that has already combusted. You can't fix this on your own unless you know what broke and how to solder a new one.
It's resilient, but of average quality. Being built to last means that factory paste is usually not the issue. Replacing it can lead to better temperatures and compatibility with subambient cooling.

GPUs aren't really designed to be opened up. Tinkering with them isn't as simple as mounting a PC. Make sure you know what you're doing or seek professional assistance before opening your GPU

I'm not really an electrician or an expert in power supplies but if you bought your PSU in the US then I think that is made to work on 120V/60Hz

Japan seems to be 100V/60Hz or 50Hz or with 120 V in military facilities in Okinawa I guess so that US soldier's appliances work on their military bases.

You say you have an adapted but isn't that only so that the socket can plug in the grid?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

I've done it, and it's gotten easier with newer models. The only thing to look out for usually is that the cables are more brittle and harder to unplug. The reference coolers are really a bitch with their trillion screws, but since nobody should have one anyway it isn't hard to do simple things like change paste/pads or mount a different cooler. If you're going to put on new paste, more is better since the die will not even out like a CPU's nickel plate can.

>supportive fiancee eventually convinces me to just buy another GPU at a nearby shop
She's got to have something to distract you whilst Tyrone & DaShawn visit

keep your off topic fetishes to yourself

>supportive fiancee
>am in Japan
Bruh are you living the dream right now or what is happening

Despite Japan's fucky power standards, it's not likely to be an issue since modern desktop power supplies use internationally compatible components.
I believe that Japan shares the American socket, unless OP adapted to remove the ground pin (which is a terrible idea).

Attached: Screenshot_20190820-074941-01.jpg (1200x496, 66K)