Is it ever okay to cheat in a video game?

Under any circumstance? If so, when? If not, why?

Attached: screenshot011.png (1920x1080, 1.52M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/rRb3N9mgYqM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

always

It's okay to do whatever you want in a game, just understand that there may be repercussions based on what you do.
In a singleplayer game you maybe will be "cheated" out of the real experience but as long as you have fun that's all that matters, but just make sure you don't act like an authority when discussing it.
In a multiplayer game you will upset other players and probably be banned. This is less "okay" but it's not like anyone can stop you if you have the account and cheats.

It is 100% okay to cheat when the fucking quest breaks because the dipshit designers just wanked quest triggers all over the map and didn't account for what would happen if you hit them out of order.

yes as long as you pay for it goyim

If it's a multiplayer game as a whole/ you happen to be playing Compeititve while using cheats, then yes, you're in the wrong.

If not, and you're just doing single-player things, then it's nobody's business but your own. If you want to max out your damage and healthbar in the starter zone with cheats then sleepwalk through the game, hey, it's your combat to skip if you want to do that. Maybe it's an old game with awful combat like The Witcher 1, in which case it's fair to skip it, and if it's a good game then the player is only cheating themselves out of a good time, not anyone else, so there's no harm done.

The ideal time for cheat codes/ hacks is NG+ or endgame, depending on what you're playing. Use it to mess around as a literal god once you've already done everything. Use those cheats and hacks to create new experiences like flying over San Andreas vomiting exploding cars onto the pavement below wherever you go. Things like that. Have some fun and mess around. This is why it's always a good time when a game gives you some overpowered items/ weapons/ characters at the last second for you to mess with in zones you've done already, because it's not overpowering the content and ruining it for you (you've already passed it, you're in endgame or whatever), and you get to have a good time breezing through old, conquered content with fun, overpowered combat options. A good recent example would be Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, where you unlock a glasses accessory that gives the playable character literally infinite mana for infinite spellcasting if they've taken the time to collect every spell available in the game.

on the quest where you have to deliver that one note but you get slowed so you can't get there in time and you fail the entire questline if you don't deliver the note yes it is perfectly fine to cheat.

Im not even there yet. Im in solstheim, never played bloodmoon before, and god damn this staircase. Who thought it was a good idea to put 2 npcs walking in opposite directions on a staircase the player has to go up to do the main quest of the dlc. I always get pincer attacked and have to tcl out or wait like 5 minutes while jumping and jiggling to get either of them to stop walking and leave.

In singleplayer games, do whatever the fuck you want.

if you use MCP download the new update, there's an option to shrink npc collision boxes so you can easily squeeze past them

If I've already played the game a few times, sometimes it feels fun to just max out your character and wreck everything during a quick playthrough. Cheating on your first time doesn't make sense to me though, I did that a couple times as a kid and it ruins your first playthrough.

Im in open mw is it compatable by any chance?

Sadly no. I don't think there's an alternative. There are mods that let you switch place with NPCs, you may as well try and find one of those.

Ah, thanks anyway tho

This. The whole "you're spoiling the experience" is bullshit.

Yes
Whenever the fuck you feel like.

The only time I have a problem with cheating is in multiplayer, because that kind of makes you a prick. But you can do whatever the fuck you feel like when you're playing singleplayer.

Is it ever ok to suck your own dick? Sure, do what you want in singleplayer but don't expect not to be ridiculed for it.

I would rather noclip than reload if I get stuck. I cheat in some grindfest games to lessen grind.

Have fun that is all

Single player to fuck around. Other than that, you suck.

It's okay to cheat if you are a child.

That's about it.

Attached: Screenshot_20190630104904_1_1.png (673x457, 249K)

Depends on the game, since some have shit story but good gameplay, and if you trivialize the gameplay then you're left with nothing but that shit story. This is why it tends to be better to play through initially the normal way, then have fun with cheats later, since you'll never get another opportunity to play the game for the first time and beat it with your own skill and abilities. Like, sure, you could turn on a game like DMC5 or Bayonetta 2 with a shit-ton of cheats enabled to max out your damage and make you immune to taking any yourself, but that just turns every enemy into a punching bag, which I don't personally find entertaining or engaging. There needs to be some risk of loss, otherwise it feels like I'm watching some else complete a game for me or something, as if I'm not good enough to beat it without cheats. I don't like that feeling, and I normally wind up disliking a game if I experience a stupidly easy version of it as my first interaction with the game. It just makes the whole thing feel like arbitrary busywork that I need to see through to the end, not anything that I need to actively try to succeed at and overcome. If the game doesn't push me at all then it's boring, unless we're talking about some really chill game like Animal Crossing, but even then I'm always trying to improve my house and stuff.

do we count things like Big Head Mode and alternative color input 'cheats'?

I'm not generally speaking about turning on god mode and enemies die in 1 hit, but turning on an exp gain or something so you can negate the quite frankly meaningless grind and skill tree percentage increases that a lot of modern games involve seems like an non-issue to me. Either way, play the game how you like.

If it's singleplayer, and it would be more fun to cheat, then it's fine.

NOOO YOU HAVE TO BUY TIMESAVERS THINK OF THE POOR PUBLISHERS

When the game is designed wrong so that you get stuck between NPCs that you can't move even though they are perfectly capable of pushing you around, then console commands are not cheats. They're essential basic game functions. NPC gets you stuck, you type "ra" into the console and it resets actors to their starting positions.
If instead NPCs get you stuck and then you use noclip to get unstuck but also fly into an area you have no access to, that's actual cheating.

Yeah, codes like those are fine in my book, so long as they don't mess up stats. I know some turn-based RPG's have cheats for things like holding down R1 after defeating an enemy monster to make the exp bar keep filling up much higher than it should, leveling the player up over and over as long as the button stays pressed. Things like that are entirely up to the player in my mind, since it doesn't sacrifice any gameplay with any godmode or anything like that, it just bypasses some busywork grinding. Still, I guess an argument could be made about stuff like how building something in Minecraft Survival Mode (where you have to gather all materials by hand) tends to be more satisfying than making it easily in Creative Mode with flight, cheats, infinite resources, etc. Still, that's the player's business, so other people are free to play however they like and I'll do my own thing in turn.

Either way though, yeah, it really doesn't matter in the case of single-player stuff. It only impacts the experience of the user, and if they dislike the experience that they shape for themselves then they have nobody to blame but themselves. It's just funny when cheating children try to talk about a game like they beat it for real, especially in the case of any game of Souls-level difficulty or higher, which is a really low bar.

Only if it makes virgin gamers seeth

If it's multiplayer, not really unless the community is shit enough to deserve it. '

Singleplayer who fucking cares, I fiddle with games after I've already beaten them to death and wanna eek out some more fun. Like using Noclip to skip sewers in Bloodlines since the segment is fucking garbage, and like in Rimworld to use Dev Mode to swap Dry Thunderstorms to Rainy Thunderstorm and make the map look like shit for months after everything burns down

Attached: begin exorcism.gif (263x368, 1.2M)

If you're playing single player and you've done everything you can in the game then sure do what you want.

I had some good fun in DMC4 with Credo where I made it so both the player and enemies couldn't die, then spent half an hour just dicking around learning his moves and how to counter them. That gif of Nero throwing his spear back at him got me.

>Singleplayer
you can do whatever the fuck you want, shit on the game, add shitty loli mods, delete game files to see what happens, who cares? if the thing eds up being unplayable it's your own problem, no one can tell you what is or isn't fun
If you take "the true experience" too seriously and forget you're talking about a video game, then the problem is you, and should be worried about your girlfriend cheating instead
>Multiplayer
If the game allows you to cheat, then it's the game's fault. That said, cheaters should get banned if some kind of competition is involved. No game should require you to get into that level of figuring out how to break the meta aspect of the thing to have fun.

Who the fuck do you think you are to tell when a community is shit?
>I'm trolling lol they deserve it because their retards xD

youtu.be/rRb3N9mgYqM

No. It isn't. For example I reported every single player I saw doing the Lester glitch on GTA Online when it was a thing. I also lobbies for all guilty players to be permanently banned and all progress and money wiped and reset to zero. There should be a zero tolerance policy on cheating especially in online games.

I sometimes cheat in super grindy weeb games (e.g. the coins in Danganronpa), but as long as it's singleplayer and there's no risk of a ban. Also I don't cheat when the difficulty is literally the point of playing the game.

Attached: 15216633200982.jpg (1280x960, 610K)

cheating is super lame and I'd rather discuss video games with people who play them as they are intended, singleplayer, multiplayer, whateverplayer.