343 ruined Halo

>343 ruined Halo

And Halo ruined the FPS genre. Justice has been served.

Attached: My First FPS.jpg (486x639, 70K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zbpZIUGE9xA
youtube.com/watch?v=9nGWEb5QxGA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>one console shooter completely destroyed my favorite thing!!!

Must not have been that great before lmao

I'm not a Halo fan exactly but I genuinely can't think of another FPS that competes with Halo's campaigns.

T. Zoomer with no taste

I remember this image. Thank you for reminding me of the old days. I am dying very soon and this makes me fond for the times back when people thought Halo 1 was for casual and fratboys, instead of being a nostalgiafag classic. Thank you for posting an old meme for this old man.

Nurse, please close the laptop. I'm ready.

Halo did destroy the FPS genre. Before Halo arena FPS like Quake and Unreal were dominant. Then Halo came out and simplified the genre. Every FPS since has copied at least some elements of Halo and most copied a ton from Halo. Including Call of Duty. FPS has never recovered after Halo. Never

>Then Halo came out and simplified the genre
Yes, Doom an Quake were sooo complex

Doom and Quake still get released today and no one wanted to play Quake even though it had the EXACT same gameplay because it's just boring and too simple, and all the boomers kept saying the new DOOM was the best one made.

They were thousand times better than Halo.

Not only was Halo ruined by Gears too. Gears got WOKE

half life """ruined""" fps more than halo did. Halo has barley any scripted sequences compared to half life. It correctly balanced the game around a two weapon limit and having regenerating shields. It also had the best AI ever when it was released and legendary difficulty is way harder than quake and doom on their hardest difficulties.

take some of that edge off lord

Halo did nothing wrong, only what it did to the industry.

2>>>ODST>>>CE

Attached: 1433422352948.jpg (295x300, 35K)

quake was absolutely more complex than halo. Doom was one of the first like 4 FPS games ever made the genre was constantly evolving after its release

>Halo has barley any scripted sequences compared to half life
Half-life genuinely played a big part in ruining seamless gaming. Everyone and their mother bandwagoned the cinematic experience.

>343 ruined Halo
Who made Reach again?

How did it ruin FPS again? A decade of these threads and it still isn't clear, especially since games like Serious Sam kept getting made.

But 343 are better than Bungie's devs now whose games are all now shit, Destiny, Disintegration, and Golem, even 343's own Josh Holmes who no longer works there game looks like shit.

Halo didnt ruin shit you posturing zoomer faggot, Quake, Unreal Tournament, and Doom all had releases after Halo 1 AND 2:

>Halo CE: 2001
>Unreal Tournament 2003: 2002
>Halo 2: 2004
>Unreal Tournament 2004: 2004
>Doom 3: 2004
>Quake 4: 2005
>Halo 3: 2007
>Unreal Tournament 3: 2007

Halo didn't ruin shit, there were still Arena shooters in the early to mid 2000s, and in general that time period had plenty of diversity of games in various fps subgenres. FPS's didn't become homogenous and Arena shooters didn't tie till CoD4 became a thing and then every FPS was brown and grey twitch cover shooters with regen health.

There's also the issue that even if that WERE true, the Halo game's themselves were still fine. It'd be that other games took bad lessons from it that they weren't able to execute as well. But THAT'S not even true, it's that a games took lessons from a game that took lessons from Halo that ruined FPS's.

why do people shit on reach so much. i thought it was a good prequel to lead up to the events of halo 1 showing how brutal the covenant was.

This

Everyone likes the original Halo trilogy. This is just daily bantz

/thread

Because it was a shit Halo game and deserves the hate it gets.

What did it ruin for you?

>>why do people shit on reach so much.
>retcons
>loadouts
>armor abilities
>bloom
>awful looking Forge maps forced into the rotation

Halo CE destroyed everything that was old and outdated with FPS and rebuilt the genre. Halo 2 put online multiplayer FPS on the map. Halo 3 was the absolute peak of multiplayer FPS.

Admit it. Halo 1-3 saved a dying genre and you need to thank it.

Halo brought in a ton of casuals that would shape how developers made FPS from then on. Stop being purposefully ignorant to this fact. Halo and casuals killed FPS.

Is the steam-version ever going to be released?

>Halo CE destroyed everything that was old and outdated with FPS
Because guns that could actually hit the front-side of a barn were really holding FPS game back. Too bad the best game in the series went back to the old ways of guns that put bullets were you pointed them

>arena FPS like Quake and Unreal were dominant.
not after CS came out
Arena shooters were on their way out the door long before Halo, hell halo was the closest thing to a big arena shooter in terms of it's multiplayer at the time

>started dudebro culture
>help start paid online
>help start mappacks and dlc cancer
>help create infrastructure for matchmaking cancer
But no i'll just be a retarded zoomer and pretend halos massive success didn't skew the market into focusing on simplified console shooters which in turn led to the rise of how shitty they are today. I no way were any doom or quake game mutilated by console influence. Don't know you know that massive return to form that was quake 4 and doom 3?

Zoomers gonna zoom.

Halo did change FPS games, arguably for the worse, by popularizing 2 weapon limits, regenerating health, and ultimately putting a larger industry-wide focus on consoles over the pc. This trend of making games easier and slower changed FPS games in general, leading to gameplay with less skill based arena shooting instead replaced by slower pop and stop action. It's presence on the console also meant that less small devs could actually participate in the market. Where small teams of

Attached: 1531290743152.jpg (195x259, 11K)

>lord
I didn't tell you speak, servant.

Oh no it doesn't have players flying into walls at 100mph what a shame.

>>started dudebro culture
That was Gears. These accusations of "dudebro culture" by the gamejournos really broke Cliffy.

Arena shooters come out to this day, yet no one buys them. Zandronum and MM8BDM are FREE, and no one plays them. Areniggers are nothing but posers

>why do people shit on reach so much.
You'd know if your age didn't start with a 1.

Actually, TF2 was released after Halo and copied zero elements from it, therefore making TF2 the best FPS game of all time

also Halo is alright, Call of Duty trying to copy Halo and getting it terribly wrong is not alright

Attached: FUN.png (368x347, 178K)

>hallway simulators with ADHD controls
it really wasnt.

>343 Ruined Halo
True

>Halo ruined FPS's
Not true. There are still some good fps games after it like Battlefield.

I wonder how many of the fags in here bashing Halo are Xbox fags. The sheer irony.

You mean half-life right halo wasn’t a big influence on Pc gaming it was more of a this is how a console shooter should be done

The medic had health regen.

FPSs were never that good to begin with, dont lie to yourself.
the fast movement and unlimited weapons made everything just a matter of who shot who first with no actual skill beyond twitch reflexes.
they were a novelty when they were introduced and thats how they should have stayed.

>>started dudebro culture
Need for speed madden and tony hawk would like word
>>help start paid online
Sega started that with the Dreamcast at least on consoles MMOs on Pc
>>help start mappacks and dlc cancer
Dlc started as Pc expansion packs and just moved from physical to digital
>>help create infrastructure for matchmaking cancer
Sure why not

this. the age of quake and unreal were hated by the gaming community of the late 90s. every FPS was just a copy of eachother.

>Dlc started as Pc expansion packs and just moved from physical to digital
Expansion packs often offered something more substantial than $10 for 3 multiplayer maps. Maps that you weren't even guaranteed to play on thanks to matchmaking cancer.

This

>Expansion packs often offered something more substantial than $10 for 3 multiplayer maps
I didn’t say they weren’t more substantial in content with time value erodes but the idea of charging for additional content started there

>True
Is it really when ODST and Reach both sucked and it seems whether the old Bungie devs still work at Bungie or not, their games still suck.

Halo is the reason why FPS games are able to work on console at all. Fuck off and try again.

Attached: Master_Chief_&_The_Arbiter.jpg (1920x1080, 1.46M)

so did Half-Life and Counterstrike

>Halo is the reason why FPS games are able to work on console at all.
"Work" by making it slow, limiting your weapon inventory, and including an inbuilt aimbot.

Pretty much

Halo didn't kill FPS, PC becoming irrelevant killed FPS. Don't blame Halo for being the only good console FPS for a generation.

This

>ruined the FPS genre
The genre seems fine to me.

Attached: file.png (624x628, 73K)

Why is it that any company but 343 can do the Halo artstyle?

youtube.com/watch?v=zbpZIUGE9xA

Attached: Gears5Halo.jpg (1920x1080, 445K)

because 343 is staffed by people who hate halo

They literally ported the models and polished them. Are you retarded or what? Also Halo reach artstyle is ugly as fuck, the best artstyle Halo had was from the OG trilogy.

Clearly not since 2001 to 2007 still had tons of arena shooters and shooters from a variety of subgenres, mechanocs, and aestheics.

You only see shit homogenize after Cod 4. That's what ruined the genre, not halo

>2007
I'm sure 360 and ps3 coming out had nothing to do with that

Halo 2 is the fucking ugliest game though

>my first fps
My first fps was Chex Quest, the best Doom mod

>majority of bungie stayed behind to continue making halo as 343
>those that left made destiny

Either way they make shit and Halo was a beautiful fluke

Winnie the pooh ching chong motherfucker. Praise gayben!

>And Halo ruined the FPS genre
Not a lot of games tried to copy it, though.
I get the argument "It's a shit FPS", sure, but it was Call of Duty/Medal of Honour that had the waves and waves of clones, the only Halo-like FPS games that come to mind are Timeshift, Haze and The Conduit. Which were all weird and generally didn't matter, though. The former two could be argued to be just as much Crysis wannabes and the latter was a fucking wii game.

Being derivative, a carbon copy, completely soulless - that'll fuck a game regardless of its inspirations. Just being a console shooter won't inherently fuck you - see Timesplitters or Perfect Dark.

You must of missed the Infinite trailer and also, Reach was ugly as fuck.

This is bait.

Infinite still looks too much like the plastic shit in Halo 4/5

Shit taste desu

>Halo 2's gross looking brown textures look good
The game looks worse than CE, Halo 2 is fucking ugly.

Look Mexican, every Halo game looked like a plastic toy/cartoon, Reach was the only one that tried to look like that shitty brown and bloom shooter of that era for muh realism points.

>good
>console shooter
Doesnt exist.

Halo 1/2/3 did not look like plastic

I looks worse than CE and 3, it looks better than Reach. Reach looks like ass today, actually, it always looked like ass.

Reach looks fine though the worst part was the motion blur

Attached: h3_blackout03-860d7cb34dda4f758f2e0eac76581fff.jpg (1920x1080, 1.7M)

It looks bland and washed out.

>creative director for Infinite left
>confirmed microtransations and game as a service
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH HELP ME BUNGIE

Halo 5 has Reach armor sets that look about as good too you morons

>loadouts

in 99% of modes the ""loadouts""" were just selecting your armor ability, the only mode people gave a shit about where it assigned weapons was Invasion, which people liked.

Not that armor abilities are good., they aren';t, but it doesn';t make sense to list it separately

>bloom

On every gun other then the DMR bloom functioned fine, and it outright helped the AR, for instance.

The DMR's bloom was bad because of how it was tuned, not bloom itself as a mechanic, as evidenced by it being a non problem on the AR, Plasma repeater, Needle rifle, etc. And even then, the DMR's bloom wasn't as bad as the random spread on the Halo 3 BR, which is way worse since it's not even visible and can't be mititigated at all.

The only reason people whine about bloom so much yet tolerate the insane spread 3 slapped on not jkust the BR but other guns just shows that most people are fucking morons who only give a shit about problems when it's made obvious.

>Awful looking forge maps
Yes because all the samey looking maps in H3 made in Foundry and Sandbox are so much more visually varied amirite?

If you wanna bitch about maps, talk about how all of Reach's maps are fucking dogshit. They are SO bad the fucking jetpack actually makes some of them more tolerable

I started with CE, reach is fine. It's not the best game in the series or even in the upper half but it's far from shit.

Armor abilities suck and the map design is shit, but it's got one of the better weapon sandboxes, with guns not being as samey as in 2 or 3 and with non-precision weapons sucking a lot less. The campaign is above average for the series, as is the story even if it's still not good, with only really ODST and 2 doing it better; and it's got a fucking shit ton of content and options, moreso then any other Halo game.

Attached: H5G_-_Wrath_armor_concept.jpg (1120x739, 150K)

Another

Attached: 539601e54431417dc87c0636a25259ff.jpg (1920x1072, 238K)

3's armor absolutely looked like plastic

>creative director for Infinite left
>the man who fucked up Halo 5's campaign left
You say this like this is a bad thing when rumors have been coming out that he was demoted after Halo 5.
>confirmed microtransations and game as a service
For one, we knew this, second, compared to all the MTX shit in other games, Halo's is lenient, plus it's hinted to be somewhat similar to Gears 5's.

>Gears of war does Halo better than Halo
Yikes...

>but it's got one of the better weapon sandboxes, with guns not being as samey as in 2 or 3 and with non-precision weapons sucking a lot less
Have you ever played Reach? The automaics were awful, and most of the weapons were reskins.

>implying the irrelevance of pc didn't come from halo being a massive success if not straight up console killed that start bland military shooter focus.
I really don't understand why zoomers try to be blind to the obvious. As if all those pseudo 'realism' halo trailers weren't trying to appeal to casual military faggots.

dude hexagons

"They hated Jesus because he told the truth"

It really didn't. If I asked you to name 3 games that play like Halo you literally wouldn't be able to answer me, meanwhile Counter-Strike has spawned hundreds of direct clones and spiritual successors, as well as setting no-respawn, round based matches as de facto competitive standard. If anything it was CS that "ruined" the genre.

Armor in Halo 5 looks like fucking trash in game

Have you?

The AR in reach can actually hit shit past 5 feet, the magnum is a nice balance btween ce's absurd utilitu and 2/3s being fucking useless, the plasma pistol can avtually kill on its own again, etc.

As far as variety goes, unlike in 2 or 3, the sniper rifle vs focus rifle, nade launcher vs concussion rifle, ar vs plasma repeater, spartan laser vs plamsa launcher, etc, all actually fell different even if they have similar niches

>the fast movement and unlimited weapons made everything just a matter of who shot who first with no actual skill beyond twitch reflexes.

Try to win a quake duel against an even moderately competent player without utilizing map/item control and say that again, zoomer.

Have you?

The AR in reach can actually hit shit past 5 feet, the magnum is a nice balance btween ce's absurd utilitu and 2/3s being fucking useless, the plasma pistol can avtually kill on its own again, etc.

As far as variety goes, unlike in 2 or 3, the sniper rifle vs focus rifle, nade launcher vs concussion rifle, ar vs plasma repeater, spartan laser vs plamsa launcher, etc, all actually fell different even if they have similar niches

Most do, those look fine

What is the context of this picture?

>people don't pay for trash
>people won't even play FREE trash
Indie trash is DoA, these games need a large community. Commercial games are basically just Quake: Zoomers which Arenachads sniff out the corporate cuckoldry immediately.

>zandronum
>trash
Maximum cringe
>Indie trash is DoA, these games need a large community
That's an excuse, and a really terrible one at that, considering all the indie games that have large communities.

you fucking boomers need to move on. arena fps games have been dead for over 20 YEARS. SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY. ENOUGH . NO MORE SCREECHING ABOUT QUAKE AND UNREAL. THEYRE DEAD. accept it.

Attached: RAIDEN.jpg (1040x447, 73K)

hey fuck you, its only been dead for 15

I think you mean halo was where the people who played n64 shooters went to dummy.
What PC player actually got an xbox? Dont tell me you did

>stop screeching about your once good games boomers!
>BU BUT PLEASE LET THE NEXT HALO WHICH HASNT BEEN RELEVANT IN YEARS BE GOOD! PRETTY PRWEASE!
Zoomers gonna zoom.

>Halo was a good game
>People without the talent tried to make Halo clones and failed miserably
>Halo killed FPSs
There were a bunch of great FPS that were made after Halo like 007 Nightfire and the Timesplinter series and those games played nothing like Halo. Just because some untalented devs try to make a Halo clone, doesn't mean Halo killed FPSs. That like saying Super Mario killed platformers because everyone and their mothers were trying to canalize on the craze

Halo didn't change FPS's for the worse, Microsoft did after they bought out Bungie and forced them to make more Halo even though they were ready to start a new IP

This

amen brother

Doesn't matter. Halo set the formular for FPS games for decades to come and so in one form or another it crept onto the PC scene and infected the games there.

>Halo set the formular for FPS games
No Call of Duty did. Halo released every 3 years with gameplay be radically different between installments, meanwhile every CoD game played almost incidentally even to this day. Outside of the obvious Halo clones, a lot of FPS still had their own identity

CoD used to alternate between classic and CoD2 styles before MW2/BO killed the trend

Classic FPS had microtactical elements of applying proper tools for proper job. Having 2 weapon limin redused dilema to 2 weapons + whatever lies on the floor nearby.

no, even if halo was casualized it still had decent gameplay

HL2 ruined the fps genre by blurring the line between cutscene and gameplay

Turns out that arena shooters are pretty boring when you get down to it. They're become a terribly stagnating sub-genre that's been riding on the goodwill of a couple groundbreaking games and have lived off that success ever since. They've never really tried to shake up the formula or improve their elements whatsoever over the years, and this is why they're pretty much dead.
They were a perfect example of the saying "it's fun with friends", and that's why they've been a mainstay of LAN parties for many years. They were fast-paced games that could be installed everywhere with a single disc, no strings attached. Remove that ambient, or worse add random matchmaking and all you're left with is just a frustrating barebones experience.

keep crying you dense Boomer.

Everything about your post could be said about Halo.

No. Just no.

Attached: 13.jpg (480x512, 22K)

no u

did you mean half life 2? hl2 is a huge fucking tech demo with cut scenes nonestop that people defend because "your still in character!"

This. Everyone says HL ruined it, but they neglect to mention that the only place you're locked off from continuing with the game is at the start, and before using the teleporter to Xen.
HL2 instead has 6+ very long "gameplay" sections where you just listen to people talk, in the middle of the game.
If you watch a speedrun of both games you'll notice this big difference.

>kat and emile
>fucking halo reach as the cross over content
what

Attached: 1497277570081.png (600x802, 418K)

Halo Reach is coming to the Master Chief Collection in the future.

>Microsoft and 343 cares so much about Halo CE-3 and so little about ODST and Reach that they would kill ODST's main character in a book and drop Reach's shittiest characters in a game where they can be cut to pieces and blown apart
BASED!

What is your favorite part of the Sangheili anatomy?

Attached: .png (540x1239, 1.08M)

I swear you're the ACfag or Zero Suit fag of Halo threads, they're good or decent until you show up.

based, half life 1 is the only true half life
half life 2 is far from being a fucking half life game at all and is just a tech demo with half life's skin

I start some of these threads, user.
The threads are shit long before I get here, so quit bitching.

Attached: .png (577x462, 333K)

Yeah, now it's going to be worse, great.

You just said they're good or decent. Don't move the goalposts.

Attached: .png (1200x1200, 1.8M)

>And Halo ruined the FPS genre
If you losers had your way nothing would have evolved from Doom 2. Get your head out of your ass.

This

I like their double thumbs.

If they're so great then shut the fuck up and go play them right now.

FPS didn't work on console until very recently with the advent of gyroscopic technology. If you need aim assist and bullet magnetism, your FPS doesn't work

Back in the day you could actually buy purely multiplayer map packs rather than normal expansions. These tended to be unlicensed 3rd party stuff though but selling maps was a thing even before the xbox.

The FPS genre was always shit.
Braindead garbage designed to appeal to LCD retards. Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, Halo, all of them suck shit.

What games do you like, user?

Attached: fatlus Halo.png (800x582, 117K)

>they hated Jesus because he spoke the truth

>LCD retards
Are you saying people never played fps on crt monitors?

Persona 5

>claims to hate braindead garbage
>plays JRPGs
The only genre designed for people without any sort of reaction time at all.

>ADHD controls

whats that

>westacuck can't comprehend the subtle complexity of Japanese storytelling and RPG gameplay
Shocker.
Go back to playing your little rooty tooty point and shooties, kiddo.

Its already obvious you were trolling when you picked P5 while acting elitist

>weeaboo needs video games to tell him a story because he's never seen the inside of a book
Imagine my surprise. You even play it with a controller that has symbols instead of letters. You must not be able to read.

>jrpg
>rpg gameplay
jrpgs are the most braindead games with barely any rpg elements.

so the fire fight beta should be this week right?
after that its the multiplayer beta and then the game is out
right?

>click on enemy's head
>instantly win
Ah yes, so this is the pinnacle of western game design.
Give me a break.

Attached: smug.png (894x894, 473K)

>subtle complexity of Japanese storytelling
I love P5, but holy shit nigger.

>This shitty meme pic again
I hate you fucking zoomers, this picture used to MEAN something and you zoomers took it and overused it.

I can't complain about Gaylo's music, or Bungie's music. But yeah, it put horrible standards for a FPS about hueg super soldiers

>wRPG
>gameplay
rofl

Attached: jrpg vs wrpg.png (1596x4682, 2.96M)

>battles consist fo standing still and taking your sweet ass time in picking a flashy attack with rng gamage
sasuga japanese game desing

>UGH, you mean I have to READ and THINK?!?
>This hurts my tiny western FPS playing brain!
You can't make this shit up

>read and think
>in a jrpg
its literally a numbers game
get the items with the bigger numbers and do the attacks with the most damage
repeat until you win
it aint rocket science kiddo

Well, it's based around sheen megaymi tansai

>ughh....numbers.....math too hard.....
>just want to....run around and click on heads.....
t. you

youtube.com/watch?v=9nGWEb5QxGA

Attached: 1443460051694.png (520x600, 290K)

>READ and THINK
>purse owner 5
Play a real sheen megaymi tansai for once

Can I get a qt milf Teacher gf in those games?
No? Thought not.

based and HOYpilled

Rookie didn't deserve to die like that.

you can in Nocturne

>And Counter-Strike ruined the FPS genre
FTFY

Then stop saying P5 it's the pinacle of JRPG combat you filthy casual, you better play the grorious japanese dub where she is way more older than she looks like
Finally, it took 2 games to avenge Kenji

>Quake and Unreal
Unreal is basically a slowed down Quake with uninteresting movement, and Halo is just a slightly more slowed down version of Unreal with slightly more uninteresting movement. Halo is basically the spiritual successor to Unreal.

Reach was Bungie's best Halo game. If you want to point to a bad Bungie Halo game then point to the half finished rush job that is Halo 2.

Imagine think that jrpgs are something complex
play and rts nigger

>rts
>complex
L M A O
Go play your halo wars kiddo, the adults are talking here.

Is it really necessary that you keep bumping this thread with your elementary level trolling?

Seethe.

Dilate.

Cope

>matchmaking bad!

Yeah because stomping on shitters or getting stomped on by someone who has no live and lived and breaths the game 24/7 is so great. It keeps games alive to a degree.

If you want to debate about the cancer that match making has grown into like momentum/script in EA sports games I'll agree with you that artificially keeping people feeling like they compete is cancer.

Have sex.

Imagine thinking jrpgs
especially persona is anything but a glorified dating sim with a budget

Hold Hands.

fuck my wife

Rent Free

cringe

Attached: 1537662824125.gif (382x554, 2.57M)

Attached: 1309487339012.jpg (369x500, 26K)

>Update
>666.jpg
>Its too late, your sins cannot be fOrGiveN

He looks like he plays Halo.

>Reach was Bungie's best Halo game
Kill yourself you baiting mother fucker.

>Reach was the best halo
I will never forget the feeling of bliss using hologram to trick someone with a shotgun in a hallway watching his radar. Invasion was also the best playlist for its variance of objectives, phases of weapon power curve, and spawn on ally location.

he's a chad so yeah

>Reach was Bungie's best Halo game
This is not a popular opinion, but it should be.

>This is not a popular opinion
But it is you fag, if that wasn't the case then H4 would have been way more different

>Halo Infinite destined to be a jewish cashgrab
>MCC PC is vaporware
why did this have to happen halobros

God I hate these halobabies talking about real arena shooters as if they would mop the floor with anybody. Arena shooters took skill you stupid shits. You fags wouldn't even get a single kill against any good player in Quake.

Of course they couldn't. It's hard to get a kill in a game that has a population of 0

gottem