Guild Wars, one of the best games ever made?

This is one of those games I just find myself missing so much. It was rather unique in many ways and had a special kind of sparkling magic that most games fail to have.

comfy thread theme youtube.com/watch?v=oBKItGgtqOo

Attached: 300px-Hall-of-heroes-poster-page.jpg (300x424, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_Mc0OSVrhoE
youtube.com/watch?v=cSw0CyFYV4Q
youtu.be/0Yx9LjgALP4
youtu.be/SMPX8q3zaVs?t=48
youtube.com/watch?v=E8FvrzXMwPo
youtube.com/watch?v=wtfjWleiHQ4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Maybe you've been living under a rock but they released a sequal which is still popular. It is 7 years old now and going strong, you should try it

Oh yes, let's start the debate that some people who liked GW1 hate GW2. We totally need that. Don't forget to bring up arguments as to why GW2 sucks from 5 years ago!

I did play GW2 for about 1,5 years but I grew pretty weary of it since it in some ways failed to recapture that magic of the sequel. It was still a great game by all means, just didn't have that special stuff that made me fall in love with the first. Maybe if they'd release a Cantha expansion for GW2 I'd return to it.

You can't recapture the essence that made GW1 great, neither can you do that with for example WoW Classic. The community itself changed and so did you, you are less naive, more imaginative and the general mmo community is becoming more and more aggressive and self centered.

>Balthazaar the human god of war is best friends with a fucking Charr
>Gwen is just a-okay with Charr after being enslaved by them watching her fellow captives being eaten alive
>Fucking NPC's mention their grandparents being eaten by fucking Charr and they're allowed in human cities
>Sylvari
GW2 spits in the face of GW's lore every opportunity it gets

I liked how they turned the Glint story into something actually interesting.

tranny wars II is nothing like Guild Wars I

Charr are based, so who gives a fuck.

>You can't recapture the essence that made GW1 great
Unfortunately it seems like this is true, but I still have my hopes up for them doing a Cantha expansion. I want some of that Factions magic back, even if just a little.

kys furry fuck, Ascalon belongs to Ascalonians

And then they introduced Aurene

Go away you fucking smelly furry

What's wrong with the aurene arc? It continues the story of glint and will potentially give us neat insights into the elder dragons itself.

The next Season apparently is going to be Jormag in the far shiverpeaks. Cantha might come next, or maybe they are holding on to that for a full on GW3

If they made a GW3 and modelled it more after the GW1 system I could die a happy man. Question is, is it even possible? A CORPG with the improved GW2 graphics and some of the gameplay/pathing kept but keep the story driven focus of GW1 and let the profession system work the same way. Please.

>Cucks us out of Palawa Joko kill
>Spend all this time raising and bonding with her only for ANOTHER SYLVARI mary sue to jump in and be the super uber special bonded one
>Kill her off
>Oops lol lets res her

Different devs than the original.
Different game ENTIRELY.
Fuckface.

Aurene is just another flavour of Kormir where she shows up, steals all the credit and fucks off to become a god while you do all of the heavy lifting.

Reminder: if you play gw2 and loved gw1 you're a stupid asshole.

Dunno, she allowed us to kill kralkatorrik in the first place.

Why? They are completely different games.

F2P when

>Dunno, she allowed us to kill kralkatorrik in the first place.

Hey remember the plot of Path of Fire?
>Oh no Balthazaar wants to kill Kralkatorrik we have to stop him!

Attached: 1548803049991.jpg (548x816, 81K)

>Dunno, she allowed us to kill kralkatorrik in the first place.

I hate how convoluted the whole process of dealing with the elder dragons has been. First, you kill Zaitan and Mordremoth, but then the story does a u-turn because killing dragons are bad, then two of them are taken out offscreen and then there was the whole saga with Balthazar which could have been avoided if the human gods had not behaved like complete retards, then we end up killing Krackhead anyway and then Aurene absorbs all the dragon magics to become a super dragon god or some stupid bullshit. Then there's that sea dragon which we will never ever see.

>Game where you can have a swordfight on a bridge with the person in the chasm below that bridge
>Game where jumping up a short distance makes melee enemies completely lose interest in you, regenerate all their HP while invulnerable and run back to where they started from
Somehow the game that didn't care about the Z-Axis handled it better

Less of an asspull than LOL KRALK WINS BECAUSE FUCK YOU

I've given GW2 plenty of tries from vanilla, HoT and PoF and I was never able to stick with it.
It just isn't that much fun.

Attached: uglygirl.jpg (358x358, 19K)

I miss pre-Searing Ascalon so much bros

>I miss pre-Searing Ascalon so much bros

Gas the Charr race war now

Attached: 1552942546500.jpg (750x534, 122K)

youtube.com/watch?v=_Mc0OSVrhoE

fug

lmaoooooo retard

Balthazar wanted to kill him just to absorb his powers, Aurene was and is a replacement for Kralkatorik.

Well in terms of storytelling it became less of a checkbox as to which dragon we will kill next, obviously if you look closely it'll still be just that but the storytelling tries to hide it in a somewhat decent fashion.

Realizing that the game was more than just presearing was such an amazing moment. This is something I'll never be able to relive, no other game will ever be able to produce this sheer endless amount of content I've gotten when playing through the game for the first few times.

Holy shit. And the journey through the Shiverpeak Mountains....fugg. I miss Prince Rurik so much. That was a good character and a man worth following (in game).
youtube.com/watch?v=cSw0CyFYV4Q

Attached: gw017.jpg (700x520, 58K)

I think Balthazar could have acted as a replacement for Kralkatorik, if the writers didn't turn him into a pants-on-head retarded villain.

I was in the mat final with triple melee, guess wich guild

But he was nuts, even before they turned him into that.

The entire premise for him being a lunatic and not valorous was based on those lines from that book in Orr. There was also that story about that ritualist he slayed in anger over losing a game, but he also built a shrine to honour said ritualist after his death. I honestly don't consider Balthazar being an UNGABUNGA war god canon.

come and play, user!

Attached: gw009.jpg (2560x1440, 1.32M)

>There was also that story about that ritualist he slayed in anger over losing a game, but he also built a shrine to honour said ritualist after his death
See that kind of shit isn't uncommon for greek or norse gods there's tons of stories about that shit and in GW lore there ghost, especially being a ritualist could spring back up and be like "Yo wtf man"
>War God violent
>War God bad
>War God should be black lady jesus

I hated that. I hated everything about that. What's even the point?
Imo the thing I like least about GW2 is its writing. Also everyone being goofy and "anime-esque" all the time. Everybody is witty to the point where there's no danger. The game itself is pretty and the music is great, the questing and mechanics and combat are cool. The writing is so jarringly bad I ask myself why tf am I even playing.

>The writing is so jarringly bad I ask myself why tf am I even playing.
It's like being a battered wife, they start showing you pictures of the muursat and hiting at the elona desert and leaving you little messages
>"Come back baby, remember the good times, remember infusion runs and ascension? It can be like old times again, come back"
So you're like "Maybe it's changed" some of that looks pretty good and they even changed the writers
Then GW2 gets drunk and stumbles home drunk and you ask where it's been and it clocks you in the mouth and tells you to buy gems for the monk and ritualist outfits

Attached: 1536988690563.jpg (461x461, 59K)

ffffffuck gw2 desu

Attached: 22d15b0c839868a156a5.jpg (447x446, 123K)

Mesmers were a mistake.

Guild Wars is the prime example of how the internet (and especially wikis) ruined online gaming.
Fuck PvXwiki.

Attached: 1543060348162.jpg (410x599, 94K)

>never ever

Attached: gw293.jpg (1440x900, 349K)

legit best caster class after those insane buffs

>Wastrel's Worry
>Westrel's Demise
>Wastrel's Worry
>Westrel's Demise
>Wastrel's Worry
>Westrel's Demise
>PSYCHIC INSTABILITY WOO MLG PRO
>Wastrel's Worry
>Westrel's Demise
>Wastrel's Worry
>Westrel's Demise

Attached: 1562842904355.jpg (1000x1200, 131K)

I wish only to return

youtu.be/0Yx9LjgALP4

Fuckkkkkkk. Thank you for posting this bro, it's beautiful. I'm overwhelmed with nostalgia.

Why yes I played Warrior how could you tell?

Attached: 1562511617639.png (1608x218, 27K)

Let it go
Keep the warmth of your memories
Don't hurt yourself by coming back to a dead game thinking it will be the same
I wish I never came back, now I can feel nothing anymore

Attached: gw323.jpg (1440x860, 497K)

my love

I just HATE how everyone is so cheery-happy all the time to the point it's annoying. Also politics here and there, but at least they're not all over the place.

Faction was really a strange setting
I always hated the bland, monochrome environments
Yet I fucking loved Kaineng for some reason, even though it's just a huge barf-colored shanty town

Attached: gw031.jpg (1600x900, 510K)

It makes you wonder how people live in such a giant maze, what they do for a living, and how deep the city is willing to let you in.

Kaineng had a lot of soul, unironically. Factions had such amazing views. The contrast between the Jade Sea and Echovald Forest gives me shivers. The massive almost dystopian city landscapes of Kaineng with the crime, the secrets, the old shrines and gangs. Shing Jea Island with its pristine beauty and traditional east Asian atmosphere. Unbeatable, unless by Prophecies which might have been even better.

Attached: 161367-guild-wars-factions-windows-screenshot-an-area-loading-screen.jpg (1024x768, 209K)

I MISS IT BRO
youtu.be/SMPX8q3zaVs?t=48

> Guildwars 1 - Celestial Lingerie.
> Guildwars 2 - Charr wearing pretty pink dresses with anime protagonist hairdos dyed fucking blue because muh pronouns shitlord.
Yeah, nah.

Fuck bros I loved it so much

Attached: gw038.jpg (1600x900, 379K)

>that loading screen

Why did they choose to kill this fantastic game bros ;_;

>2019
>Still no option to pick different loading screens

I really liked the Nightfall screen myself.
youtube.com/watch?v=E8FvrzXMwPo

Am I the only nigga here who thought vabbi was the best area?

Even the weird Skyway part, permanently engulfed in this weird barf-colored smog above the huge sewage tunnels

Attached: gw041.jpg (1600x900, 220K)

Vabbi is a great location. Other than the Desoluation, to an extend, its kind of hard press to find an area that everyone hate.

I always felt Kaineng had a lot of Spirited Away vibes. Did anyone else get that feel too? I just wonder what it would have been like to perhaps live in one of those houses there, up in the tower like structures.

got back into the game 2 days ago and will at least play thru the 'beyond' content with my qt Ranger or my new Mesmer but first off i'll do lvl 20 in pre-searing, currently lvl14
the atmosphere is just superb

Yes
NF killed GW
Best desert was in prophecy anyway, the entire expansion is redundant

Attached: gw342.jpg (1440x900, 254K)

The Crystal Desert was amazing. I didn't like Nightfall much either, actually.

I did get that feeling in the areas around the Closer to the Stars coop mission
Senji's corner, Xaquang Skyway, Nahpui's quarter... Those were so comfy yet so ominous and mysterious at the same time

Attached: gw368.jpg (1920x1040, 532K)

>NF bad
gate of anguish is the pinnacle of the series for me but yeah most of the missions were shit. only started to feel good once i reached Vaabi
for me speedclears and PvE skills killed the game, so actually Eotn, tho Dungeons are amazing

>That elite skill that makes you wonder why it exist in the first place

Attached: Word_of_Censure_(large).jpg (248x248, 17K)

>for me speedclears and PvE skills killed the game, so actually Eotn, tho Dungeons are amazing

Pretty much the same for me. It feels like they balanced a lot of their hard mode content on the presumption that you would be popping out pain inverters everywhere and spamming save yourselves.

I didn't like Crystal Desert much to begin with because the missions were long and boring to me.
Then I went back going for Vanquisher title and realized how right I was.

Cleave > Eviscerate

like why the fuck is it an elite
why the fuck is it even an actual skill

Attached: Quick_Shot_(large).jpg (256x256, 64K)

'Save Yourselfs' sure was cheesy af but i rather speak about Shadow Form autists who know nothing about the game and crashed the economy with no survivors.
FUCK consumables, seriously.
i did some FoW/UW/GoA runs almost daily with my old guild, the good thing was we got builds for almost every class, so no one was bound to play Assassin forever

There are a lot of skills like that in the Smiting Prayers tree. One thing I still don't understand to this day is why they nerfed Smiter's Boon into uselessness in PvP when it honestly wasn't that good anyway. There were only a handful of skills you could even use it with and those skills weren't nearly as good as the arsenal that protection or healing prayers offered you.

Attached: 1532481498084.png (540x438, 289K)

(you)

Attached: 1539779166772.jpg (960x682, 38K)

For me, it's that feel you got once you finally had crossed the Shiverpeak mountains. With your noble Prince Rurik dead, you left the snowy peaks behind you and arrived on the inhumanely beautiful sands of Kryta.
youtube.com/watch?v=wtfjWleiHQ4

Attached: 300px-Krytan_Towers_concept_art.jpg (300x448, 43K)

FPBP GW1 is for shitters

Before the aftercast shit, you use Quick shot immediately after any other Bow attack for a quick spike damage. The Aftercast fucks it up.

I never use PvE skills in my soloing. Its just too powerful.

>I never use PvE skills in my soloing. Its just too powerful.
a must if you want to do hardmode

Because Smiter's Boon and Balthazar's Pendulum combination is broken as fuck in PvP. However, Izzy is just shit at skill balance.

I already did, got 50/50 hom, GWAMM, and got based Hero Zei Ri.

>got based Hero Zei Ri
how to get him? i stopped playing before this 'new' cantha contend came out

>Izzy is the only member of the old guard still working at ArenaNet

Really makes you think

Who the actual fuck would use Victory is Mine or Steady Stance after it got nerf? They should have buff them.

Attached: 'Victory_Is_Mine!'.jpg (64x64, 6K)

Yes you could
Plenty of tools in divine favor would allow you to do massive heals, the new smite support spells would have been OP along with smiter's boon, I instantly knew this was going to be a problem in PvP because then monks would be able to prot, heal and damage at the same time

Attached: Divine_Boon_(large).jpg (248x248, 19K)

Warrior/monk gang

I loved this skill on my janky ass alliance battle build back in Factions.
>Balanced Stance
>Desperate Blow
>Drunken Blow

Complete Winds of Change on hard mode. Not worth the effort

*shadowsteps 2 u*
*shocks ur ass*
heh, nothing personnel 60ar babby
*100-0 u*

Attached: Decapitate_(large).jpg (248x248, 24K)

Finish Wind of Change Hard Mode. He is the third Rit Hero and the content itself exist for the challenge

Attached: cake.jpg (462x171, 12K)

Still mad, honestly. I have tech knowledge enough to download Steam and use the internet, but they insist I've been botting and my account from 2005 is banned, wasn't a few months ago until I got a nostalgia trip and wanted to play Factions again out of the blue. No knowledge of how to do this but, while support has been nice about it, they're insistent that I did it and that this is against their policy. Instant, forever ban.

I was part of a wave of people that were banned last year per the Guild Wars subreddit. A false-positive ban wave occurred in GW2 about a year ago and someone with more tech savy than me identified that the culprit might have been if you'd ever installed Cheat Engine on your PC, what is basically a Gameshark (remember those?) for the PC. I have used a program based on Cheat Engine as a difficulty mod for Kingdoms of Amalur (YSA Heartmod) per a friend's recommendation and help installing it. Don't know any more about it other than the instructions it provides but it did make the game less OP. I figure this was my problem, though I haven't run this program in over three years.

Point being: these guys are very strict about bots. Apparently. I wouldn't so much as run any background programs whatsoever while playing. I'm at a complete and total loss for how my inept butt is the "supa hacka" they think I am but it is what it is. I'm banned. Have politely appealed it two times now and have received equally polite no's, though the last one said I could repurchase the game and use a new email (an odd confirmation that they don't ban IPs outright, but that's comforting in a way). Still, for all the nostalgia this game brings back, I'm not interested in doing anything further. It's a real shame; I identified about 15 people in a similar set of circumstances, if they can be trusted that they really weren't doing anything either. 5 were in the same guild and had just bought the game in a Steam sale to play together too.

Evidently the menu video is hard-coded into the patches. To the knowledge of the two devs still working on GW1 off and on (once a week reportedly for the one guy that's does so regularly and is responsible for the graphics patch recently), the old videos may be lost.

GW2 was such a disappointment. All the good shit which made GW1 fun and amazing to play went out the window for a pretty generic MMO. The profession/class system and the way a party had to work together and how there were plenty of roles to play were what made GW1 amazing to actually play. I loved being able (and having to) to switch builds and secondary professions entirely based on exactly what content I was doing and it was great fun trying to figure out more effective builds for whatever I wanted to do. It was fun how certain regions or farming spots were best tanked by Monks with apparently weird builds where minimizing their own health was an actual goal and shit like that.

GW2 felts so bland and boring in comparison, especially with how it "removed the trinity" and that resulted in everyone doing the same shit in instances. Or at the very least that's what it was like when I last played GW2, which admittedly was multiple years ago. The story in GW2 was also garbage.

>2000+19
>still no fan-made remake on Unreal or Unity Engine
it hurts so much, bros

Attached: 1508571458659.png (503x388, 390K)

>chilling on vent with your guildmates, discussing PvP builds
>fighting your way through the Tombs to the hall of heroes
>winning your first hall of heroes and getting the item to get a guild hall
>winning the Favor of the Gods for America and having everyone in the Temple of the Ages cheering for you

I miss those days

They eventually added dedicated healers to the game, but for the most part, there's still no tank. It's mostly learning the wind up animations for big attacks on bosses and timing the dodges just right.
Out of all the MMO's I've played, I think GW1's build system was the best for its wide variety.

>start game
>have this beautiful landscape to play in
>well that was just the intro
>now you have to play for hrs in a disgusting desolate landscape ,everything is brown

what were they thinking ?

>be 600hp monk tank in Foundry
>everyone there knows you
>get 3-5 messages in an instand to do some runs
*SIP* those were the days man

Attached: 1530444345155.jpg (2687x2319, 1.38M)

>thuh WoW killer
>kek

Attached: 1565221692951.jpg (293x301, 11K)

incredibly well coded. highly effective netcode, could run on a fucking toasted. deepest team based PVP whilst still superplayable.

balanced for both PVE and PVP.

fun builds, amazing depth, complex combat.

the FEAR you'd get when you saw the moonrunes of KOR 8 man squad.

Game was ace.

I liked this side of GW, it was part of the experience
Start in pre-searing, crawl through the tar and desolation of old Ascalon, slowly trek through dangerous and lonely mountain zones and finally reach the beach side of Kryta
Seriously, walking on the sand, seeing this all this blue water, clear sky, the fucking SUN, lush vegetation, trees... It felt like a literal breath of fresh air
The same thing happened in Faction. The beauty of Shin Jea replaced by the gloomy, oppressive and claustrophobic Kaineng city, its tunnels, not seeing the sky for hours on end... Until you reach the top of the shanty towns, walking on the rooftops and fighting your way to Maatu's keep

Attached: gw411.jpg (1920x1040, 500K)

Well put bro. I will always cherish those memories.

What if this game went f2p?

Attached: healbot10.gif (800x660, 121K)

Didn't the chinks get assmad because factions was the chinese expansion and the first thing we saw were the afflicted and Kowloon's walled city?

If they restructured their monetization scheme to work more like Warframe they would be rolling in it so fucking hard. Make the game free to play and sell premium currency to buy the premium cosmetics, character slots, storage slots, and so on. Plus some store exclusive minipets and tonics. Maybe remove dye traders and put them up on the premium currency shop at a low cost. But instead the stupid sons of bitches went the fucking cash shop "pay to pay" route the absolute retards. God I will never not be mad. While warframe was revolutionizing the monetization game, these dumb cunts hopped on the slow suicide catwalk and now they just fucking refuse to get off of it. *A N G E R Y *

I think they only thing they got mad about was pandas being pets, which could lead to depiction of them being hurt or killed. Really, it was the government there that said no to that.

GW1 hasn't had an update in almost 10 years. Nothing can revitalize it at this point.

They only got mad about the panda pet.

It still hurts.

They actually did a few updates semi-recently.

>OP starts best Game thread with the best music
I am proud. What I also really miss about GW is the PvP system, especially HA. Nothing has come close to the tactical complexity of it.

A few friends and I once went into isle of the nameless and tested whether we could stack enough buffs to turn decapitate into a one hit kill.
It took two entire skill bars of buffs from said friends, plus every buff I could cram into my bar, but we barely did it.
Thinking back, the fact that that was even possible is a testament to how stupidly great GW1's skill system was.

If you want the same exact fucking dungeon crawling experience, install and pay the subscription for Dungeons & Dragons: Online, it's literally the same fucking game. You're welcome.

Attached: fu.jpg (180x195, 14K)

>While warframe was revolutionizing the monetization game, these dumb cunts hopped on the slow suicide catwalk and now they just fucking refuse to get off of it
what do you mean?

It has gotten several somewhat significant qol updates within the past few years.

Fuck off nigger, they're not even remotely similar.

Warframe sells players a premium currency which is used to purchase premium cosmetics, or skip building reqs for gear, or can be traded among players.
Guildwars 2 just flat out sells the fucking gear (in a shitty sub par game) and guildwars one expects fiat currency for all its shit.
If they instead put every little addon thingy like the storage spaces and character slots, you know all those bits and bobs, on the premium currency store, sold some premium currency, and kept some fresh new cosmetics up on the store every now and then, and most importantly don't make it look like fucking guildwars 2 with its complete and total excersizes in absolute tasteless degeneracy, they would be seeing growth, like warframe sees growth. But instead they do the fucking chink thing of just selling you gear and fucking horrendous haircuts while they slowly die.

Little Monkie got her skillbar power blocked one time too many, huh.

kek
on a serious note tho: why did they removed team arena back in the day? too much abuse? never really read a reason for that

The GWW is one of the best wikis I've ever seen, it's crazy how detailed everything is.

Pling is a fucking artificial intelligence. I Swear to god it's true. He's a robot. No matter what he says, he's a robot.

It was a lot worse before EotN. Tons of content was missing that was on the other wiki.

Wasn't popular.

>Guildwars 2 just flat out sells the fucking gear (in a shitty sub par game)
You can't buy any statted items off the gem store in GW2. It's purely cosmetics.