Developer Quotes

>The team behind Crash Bandicoot managed to perfect 2D platforming in a 3D environment. I was amazed by what they had accomplished.
>In regards to my game [Mario 64] we struggled to even make it a platforming game at all and instead focused on collecting stars. If I could do it all over again I would copy Crash Bandicoot.

Attached: miyamoto_loves_crash.jpg (416x340, 92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mario.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Super_Mario_64_Enemies
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I literally cannot stop sucking dicks

t. OP

why does he look depressed

The man is delusional. He will never recognise the genious of his early work, and is far too old to have any good ideas. He has been for years

>Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good.

Sour grapes.

not a real quote retard

It's a real quote in a real printed medium.

Crash Bandicoot was fucking trash

Yea Forums?

>If I could do it all over again I would copy Crash Bandicoot

Attached: 3DSSuperMario3DLand.jpg (965x860, 162K)

Obviously not real, but is this how some people actually think? The lazy collecting, the overly cartoonish character design, the way crash has to run TOWARDS the camera to create gameplay tension simply because you can't see where the fuck you're going.

It's obvious crash was just Sony's attempt at capturing the Mario audience and it didn't work

>lazy collecting
Mario 64 is entirely about collecting stars. Most stars don't even require you to jump in a "platforming game".
>run TOWARDS the camera
Most Crash Bandicoot levels do not have you running toward the camera.
Even Miyamoto knows Mario 64 is inferior to Crash Bandicoot.

Attached: miyamoto's_fav_shirt.jpg (800x1200, 273K)

It'll only get worse for him

Attached: 1560647210316.png (1092x373, 835K)

>no source

Attached: 1563537130712.png (105x143, 20K)

>doesn't know where the quote is from
>still thinks he has the authority to claim it's fake

Attached: 1554545903378.jpg (573x619, 61K)

crash looks repetitive as fuck and it seems like you must lack the capacity to comprehend the nuances of mario 64 to not understand how unique the individual endeavors of obtaining each of the stars in it is while crash is just endless box breaking and awkward camera angles with the same four level themes repeatedly endlessly.

One of these games is definitely garbage but you're too brainlet to not realize how mixed up you got it.

Is that a real quote?
Because I always felt that Mario Galaxy played more like a gimmicky Crash game than a Mario game, with the linear levels

>crash looks repetitive as fuck
>looks
so you're arguing from a position of ignorance

>how unique the individual endeavors of obtaining each of the stars in it is
Is it supposed to be a platformer or an adventure game?

>dude, trust me

>I believe we accurately recreated the DooM 1/2 feel with all the other games labled doom and certainly do not believe we are just recreating quake over and over again and speeding it up.
-John Carmack

there appears to be zero consistency with his aging, almost as if he is time travelling.

Couldn't we all just be friends?

Attached: The Big 3.jpg (1280x720, 129K)

>Crash formula is hallway after reskinned hallway with pits and "something" chasing you
>Bonus levels are just 2.5D jumping with pits and generic fruit to collect
>Comparing that to Mario 64's world design and platforming mechanics/enemy variety

Please just stop, it's embarrassing

Attached: 1515633828568.gif (631x609, 661K)

let's face it
you like mario 64 because its easy. you get lots of chances to get hit without dying and its easy to just avoid enemies in most stages

>doesn't understand burden of proof
this is stuff taught to 7th graders.

Attached: 087.gif (326x281, 170K)

you'd know, 7th grader

mario 64 was challenging, yet fair.
Crash bandicoot was frustrating, and only appealed to autists who liked doing the same thing over and over again. Which is proven by how easy crash bandicoot 2 and 3 were when compared to 1.

The power of misinformation is amazing, I can't believe retards still believe he said this.

>"something" chasing you
Very few levels in Crash Bandicoot are chase levels. Why does it seem like Mario 64 fanboys were little kids who only owned a Nintendo 64 and never even played Crash Bandicoot?

This is what the Wii U does to you.

Crash 1 isn't even that hard unless you're going for all the gems.

I thought Pikmin fans still liked him. Still, it's honestly insane that the guy who made the travesty that is Star Fox Zero is also the guy who made the work of genius that is Donkey Kong '94, but I guess that's what 20 years of being one of the biggest names in an industry does to you.

Why don't you go ahead and address the rest of the points made in that post? Also, who gives a shit if it wasn't every level? The level design itself is mundane and "samey"

the controls were super...blocky I guess the word is. lots of diagonal jumps in a control scheme that was only consistent if moving up, down, left, right. The tiny little platforms you gotta land on, while crash was constantly being cut off by the top of the screen when jumping.
I mastered all 3 games, but the only reason I was patient enough to even beat part 1 was because I was 11 when it first came out. which is peak autism age. I can pick up and play original mario 64 again today, and even master it and enjoy it. i got frustrated dealing with crash one basically on the 3rd level.
being tortured with unfun, frustrating mechanics isn't the same as a challenge.

>Why don't you go ahead and address the rest of the points made in that post?
Sure thing
>Crash formula is hallways after reskinned hallway with pits
Imagine criticizing Mario 1, 2, 3, and World like this without even a hint of irony. That's what this "criticism" is. Crash Bandicoot has a solid formula that isn't schizophrenic so that's baaaaad.
>Bonus levels are just 2.5D jumping with pits and generic fruit to collect
You have to do them perfectly or you do not even pass the "bonus" level. Every level in Mario 64 is "collect stars" many of which have a dumb low-skill minigame attached as the means to collect a star.
>Comparing that to Mario 64's world design
Mostly empty arenas?
>and platforming mechanics
Yeah, Mario can jump and flip in a variety of ways, but too bad hardly any of them are useful to actually completing the game. This is so bad that autists are managing to slowly work their way to a jumpless run in a platforming game.
>enemy variety
There are a handful of enemies in Mario 64. There are more if you count non-enemies such as penguins and fish sprites.

>I thought Pikmin fans still liked him
we do, it's just faggots like the guy you replied to doesn't even know pikmin exists because he's a turbo casual.

>Imagine having to bring up entries in a series that aren't even 3d to try and invalidate a legitimate criticism of a forgotten Snoy game
>you have to be autistic and suffer through poor movement and level design to even pass the "bonus" level
>There are so many ways to control Mario compared to Crash so I'll just try and mitigate that by bringing up the one guy who is trying to do a jumpless run. Still waiting on that Crash movement optimization vid though.
>mario.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Super_Mario_64_Enemies

>imagine having to bring up entries in a series that aren't even 3d
Oh, 3D is what you focus on, not the gameplay critique which applies to other more popular entries in the Mario series than Mario 64? Does a game formula stop being good? No. Crash Bandicoot successfully translated the Mario formula to 3D. Mario 64 had to drop the Mario formula and focus on collecting stars.
>you have to be autistic and suffer through poor movement and level design to even pass the "bonus" level
Mario 64 has proo movement and level design throughout the entire game.
>There are so many ways to control Mario compared to Crash so I'll just try and mitigate that by bringing up the one guy who is trying to do a jumpless run. Still waiting on that Crash movement optimization vid though.
Crash doesn't need movement optimization. It is already well designed and works. Mario being able to flip and slam on his ass on one part of a nearly empty arena or another doesn't make it good.
>mario.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Super_Mario_64_Enemies
Well you got me there, but considering how many of them can be ignored by walking around them in the arena sized stages and how many of them you see once or maybe twice I wouldn't toot Mario 64's horn too much about them.

>Crash bandicoot only appealed to autists who liked doing the same thing over and over again.
Are you retarded? You have to play each level in Mario 64 at least 7 times

>An interesting story lies behind Yoshi's Island. When Shigeru Miyamoto first demonstrated the game to Nintendo's marketing department, it was rejected because it had Mario-related graphics rather than the waxy, prerendered graphics of Donkey Kong Country. Rather than change to an artistic look he did not like, Miyamoto made the game even more cartoon-like, giving it a hand-drawn look. The second version was accepted
>Miyamoto, who is rightfully proud of his work, was offended that the first version was rejected. That same month, I interviewed Miyamoto and Tim Stamper, creator of Donkey Kong Country, together and noticed that Miyamoto was a bit hard on Stamper, making such statements as "Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good."
-Steve Kent, The Ultimate History of Video Games

Attached: 1540560740538.jpg (353x480, 44K)

>Why does it seem like Mario 64 fanboys were little kids who only owned a Nintendo 64 and never even played Crash Bandicoot?
Because that's exactly how it is.

>MY THING GOOD
>YOUR THING BAD
Absolute faggots.

>Trending Enemies

Attached: 1563372063278.jpg (1024x963, 111K)

No one actually thinks Crash can compete in the league as Mario games, right?

Attached: jontronathon.jpg (225x225, 5K)

Well the first 3 crash games are excellent platformers so yeah. Of course branding wise, and in terms of overall quality in all the games released crash cannot ever come close

Attached: 1566038304611.png (527x3702, 2.13M)

Judging from the quality of the first 4 games? Absolutely

Mario games are trash

Only Snoys think that

Galaxy 1/2 > Crash Trilogy > Mario 64 > Mario 1-3 >>>>>>>> Sunshine >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NSMB

Also CTR is better than any Mario Kart ever made.

Hating on Crash must be how Nintendo fans feel about people hating Mario.

I really don't like Crash though. Every level feels the same. At least Mario has gimmicks.

Neither or both.

Crash's quality post-PS1 is far too schizophrenic to let it.

That said, CTR barely needed anything more than some touch-ups to compete with MK, further solidifying it as one of the best racing games to be released. Poor Sanic never stood a chance.

Could you post a picture of the page in question? Thought not, bullshit.

I provided you with the quote and where to find if, if you want to hunt down a paperback copy of the book to be entirely sure that's on you.

NO! the quote isn't real miyamoto-sama isn't that petty

This is america and shiet.

So it's fake? Cool.

>I provided you with the quote and where to find it.

It's pretty dark and smelly up there though and your head is blocking the way.

Imagine being this infatuated with someone.

Attached: 1565322008315.png (953x1282, 495K)

Fake quote shitposting aside, Mario and Crash have inherently different design philosophies. If anything, Crash team has taken a lot from frogger. Why are we even having this conversation

>Why are we even having this conversation
Nintendo fanboys coping over their hero liking Crash more? The thread is about developer quotes.

But since you don't actually have an image of said quote, I can and will continue to call you a retarded fucking mongoloid.

are you sad that you don't have a board to lord over anymore, mark?

Crash Bandicoot is just as easy, retard. The difference is that Crash lacks the depth of Mario 64's skill ceiling and movement options.

This is honestly the first time they actually adapted 2D Mario into 3D.
I fucking hate when I see people say that Mario had a smooth transition into 3D, its stupid as fuck, Mario 64 was good, but it wasn't Mario. 3D Land was the first Mario game in 3D.

Too bad the quote is fake, I don't know about crash being the perfect 2D platformer in a 3D environment, but the quote is correct in that Mario 64 wasn't.

>we hired people who hate Halo

Attached: l_55f288717cfd4.jpg (640x427, 52K)

unlike most game developers miyamoto actually played his games. Imagine going from the difficulty of mario platforming to super mario 64, which difficulty wise is a fucking joke. I'm sure he knew the game would be loved and well received, but it wasn't well received by miyamoto who loves games as a hobby.

Crash 2 is one of the best 3D platformers ever. I wouldn't put it in the same league as SM64 but it's better than the Galaxy games

3D land is what i expected to be playing when i first heard about a 3D mario. that said mario 64 was excellent and sunshine improved on the mechanics but unfortunately the world wasn't as diverse. it's a shame they didn't make a snowy peak on the isle with ice/water mechanics. melting ice or making ice platforms.

So Karen Traviss, then?