What's the deal with this game? Just had my file ruined about 8 hours in for...

What's the deal with this game? Just had my file ruined about 8 hours in for... using a game mechanic that you are actively encouraged to use. This is bullshit. The game says the entire point of your mission is to sacrifice your teammates but, if you do, you get locked into a very early and very bad ending. This is the most unfair thing in video game history.

Attached: 81fLF2Gfb1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg (1489x1382, 217K)

Eat actual shit.

is it worse than Valkyrie Profile Ending B or trying to get its A Ending?

>Me kill my friends for short sighted power :^)
>how could this have negative effects what the fuck

>game tells you to do that
>puts you in fights where enemies insta kill your guys
>do what the game tells you to do to get stronger
>get punished
no, it's dumb. I guess now looking back that those tough enemies could've been killed by properly chaining attacks together, getting lots of finishers in, but at the time I definitely did not have that option. I usually couldn't build the gauge for a finisher. This might have been because I sacrificed the archer girl too early, who knows. Either way there are some levels where, if you don't have a certain party or equipment setup, you can't win without using the plume.

Do you talk to you're mother with that mouth?

To get the best ending you have to not sacrifice a single one of your comrades, who are only able to be sacrificed with a super mode power up that ensures a battle victory once the story considers them a close enough friend to justify it. Problem is that the game attempts to corral you hard into making sure you can't avoid at least one sacrifice because the enemies are often radically overpowered and your party members are initially woefully underpowered. NG+ after destroying your runs is all but a necessity and the official strategy guide itself basically goes "yeah nah this is impossible on a first run." Nevermind that the A path takes almost all the worst case options in each arc besides stopping the most absolute worst case scenario in the plot, but handwaves it with a "you let go of your self-destructive, suicidal and ultimately pointless vengeance" plot wrapup.

That's the way the game's designed to be played, not unlike intentionally ruining your save in Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter to unlock more cutscenes and have more Party EXP / D-Rank for the next run, but in CotP's case you have to beat the fucking game and get a shitty ending for another chance.

My mom taught me to swear, you dense, shit covered, mouth breathing waste of vaginal discharge.

Your mum taught me to fuck

I wouldn't be surprised, she has a thing for 12 year olds.

I used it on the final battle, no consequences. :)

I've never played the DS game but it reminds me of how VP1 played out its endings. Without a guide, you'd be railroaded to the B Ending which is arguably the worst ending (at least C Ending was eventful). Even so, you'd be encouraged to try to get the best ending except without a guide you could still end up on the B Ending yet again (since you had to go by Seal Value aka unlock your memory seal without tipping off Odin or doing a horrible job).

I find it funny how both the DS game and VP1 had the idea of 'do what the game tells you, get fucked'

What the fuck did you just say to me? Did you just say I'm 12?? I'll kick your fucking ass you piece of shit.

With CotP the game at least heavily outlines that yeah, sacrificing people's eternal souls to the plume for power boosts that kill them after the battle is over is an incredibly shitty thing to do, so if folks have pre-knowledge of Valkyrie Profile's reputation for multiple endings, you'd probably figure to not do what the game tries to force you to do, or simply not be an asshole. Problem is the protagonist is an asshole, has no qualms about using the plume in-character, and the game does everything in its power before a NG+ to damn well try to make sure you take a bite of the forbidden fruit and fuck everything up. If VP1 lures you into a false sense of security by screwing you for doing as you're told, CotP expects you to rebel against what you were told, then tries to rape you up the ass for it so you see the various angles of the plot until you literally get good enough on repeat playthroughs to rebel successfully.

Man I think I did A-route(no sacrifice) in my first and only run of the game and I hated myself a lot for it. Had to redo maps several times(an early roadblock was saving some girl who was captured in a knight dude's route) and on the final boss I think I had to just chip away at it with 3 characters while my 4th stood away from it's attack range so they could rez the dead safely. Ending was pretty great though, and from what I remember of my attempts to play the game afterwards most of the dialogue you get from sacrificed party members after a battle was pretty good especially the ones that knew you sacrificed them.

Is this even any good? I loved the first game and thought the second game was ok.

I played it once and it was subpar. I never used the sacrifice mechanic but it was pretty easy nonetheless. For the most part you just walk around the map and combo one enemy at a time, there's not much difference between the fights except the final boss. I'd consider replaying it for the other endings but it seems like I'd be playing on easymode because I have to use sacrifice to get them.

Valkyrie Profile Hrist game when

Attached: Hrist.jpg (700x890, 193K)

I got towards the end of the good side on my first playthrough where I ended up not being able to progress because the enemies got too strong even if I got rid of one.

That's pretty cool you did it in your first run. It seemed fucking impossible to me.

It is kinda good but slow to start since you can't do finishers that easily

Honestly I was kicking myself when I started an NG+ run since I just realized I had those exp giving items(expert's something) and I didn't use them to power up my underpowered fools to be on par with the guest party member. Took me at least an hour and a massive toll on my sanity to deal with the final boss and having cutscenes in the A-route where the dude you had to save that mission or the mission before just dies right in front of you was a kick in the balls for how rough that route was with no NG+ items or extra plume abilities. It was to some extent fun but I would never suggest A-route as their first route to someone fresh to the game. Also my memory was probably wrong, I think I restarted the game because Earnest's route is a pain in the ass without a sacrifice but Darius' was doable

OK, that's good to know and I will keep this in mind if I ever dare to touch this game again