What the fuck happened with the level design in this game? it's a fucking nosedive from the first one

what the fuck happened with the level design in this game? it's a fucking nosedive from the first one
I still love it because of the super shotty and new enemy types though

Attached: Box-Doom2.jpg (640x640, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/iakwDDZn4eQ
youtube.com/watch?v=PRI2rTwvWfk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The map design is great.
It's just devs literally started playing tricks on the players.

The prevailing theory is that iD needed something to keep busy with while Carmack developed the Quake engine

some maps here and there are pretty neat, but most of them aren't. the city is fucking dreadful

Tricks and Traps best map to play with friends on.

Looking back, what the fuck was Sandy's problem

doom 1s level design sucks so

I love playing Suburbs on multiplayer.
I run out, grab the blue key, then run to the BFG secret and hide there and listen to the carnage.

I keep seeing people shit on the city one but I personally liked it, there were no death pits, no sudden ambush shit, no narrow catwalks, none of the things that I personally found annoying in Doom 2, it was a unique map and a good change of pace.

>Doom 1 has better ma-

Attached: Mount Erebus.png (1061x593, 1009K)

At least post Limbo faggot

The maps feel mostly like a "best of" mishmash made by fans. Honestly, the maps have no sense of cohesion, and the story makes no fuckin' sense.

Doom 2 gave us more monsters and the super shotty, so there is that.

You take that back you faggot heathen

Heretic had way, way tighter level design than both and better art direction and aesthetic. Severely underrated doomclone

The amount of pain elementals past the mid game levels ruins it for me. Holy fuck are they such a tempo killer.

youtu.be/iakwDDZn4eQ
also a great soundtrack

Attached: plutonia gameplay experience.png (400x378, 117K)

The problem with the city levels is that it sacrifices readability for the attempt to make streets and buildings on Doom's engine. Going into the map blind, it doesn't flow like a typical Doom level would. If you need a big ass arrow in a section of your map to guide players instead of the level design itself, you've fucked up.

Was TNT any better?

This guy pretty much breaks it down level by level.
The first 1/3 of the game is kino.
The middle 1/3 of the game sucks because it was made by an intern.
The last 1/3 had some Romero maps in it which kinda saves it, kinda.
youtube.com/watch?v=PRI2rTwvWfk

Plutonia's main problem is that some of the traps and levels feel cheap rather than an actual challenge (Still overall a decent megawad). TNT Evilution's problem is that the map design is too fucking large without the enemies to compensate for it.

Make of that as you will.

Dude expected every level past e1m1 to be designed around continuous play instead of pistol start.

>DOOM
>cramped hallways into giant octagons
>DOOM 2
>cramped hallways full of traps into giant squares
level design was always shit. you just stayed for the gameplay and music.

What's the best way to play Doom and 2? Just Steam?

>What's the best way to play Doom and 2? Just Steam?
Or GOG.

Get GZDoom, obviously.

yeah any heretic/hexen games have much better level design than any doom

doom was basically walk forward and shoot, then come back to where you start and open a gay door. just nowhere as complex

even hexen 2 had better level design than any doom desu

Thanks user.

gzDoom.
Runs any Doom engine game and loading wads is as easy as just click-dragging the wad onto the .exe.

back to saturn x e3 when

The maps are completely uninspired. They're all brown levels filled with boxes and half of them have shitty gimmicks.

Civvie is waaaay too shit at Doom to call himself a pro. Compared to someone like Decino he's like a little baby.

Chocolate Doom for the pure vanilla experience. PrBoom+ for vanilla plus QoL things like high-res support.

GZDoom is a meme and isn't accurate at all. The kind of people who recommend GZDoom are the ones who'll tell you that Brutal Doom is a good mod.

>Doom 2 gave us more monsters and the super shotty, so there is that.

And the pain elemental. Fuck that monster.

He was a fat nerd.

Of course for playing the base game GZDoom is not the way to go, but you are missing on some high quality wads if you don't No, not fucking Brutal Doom or Project Brutality

Romero was busy with Quake.

I specifically want to play the base game, though. So should I go with PrBoom+?

>even hexen 2
What are you talking about? Hexen 2 is a masterpiece. Especially the expansion.

Why didn't someone tell me this before. I don't want to replay Doom 1, 2, Masterlevels, No Rest For the Living, TNT, and Plutonia all over again.

What exactly is inaccurate about gzdoom?

i agree but at least he gives a good rundown on the maps/games. and the guy can clear Blood on a higher difficulty than I can, so props to him for that.

>what the fuck happened with the level design in this game?

Quit exaggerating. Its got more shit levels than the first game but its still got plenty of great ones. Most notably the first dozen or so are pretty good.

FYI fan wads shit all over the original games in level design though.

Why does every level seem to start with enemies just stood their with their backs to you. At one point i thought the game was broken because no one was shooting me even when i was inches away from them. I think i like Doom 1 better.

got any recommendations?

Can't go wrong with Ancient Aliens.

just finished it. i think it was totally awful. it's just plutonia with less chaingunners.

Originally Doom2 was suppose to be 3 episodes just like Doom1, but they just removed that at the end of development. Eveidence of this was from the original release of the source code.
The middle third of of the game was suppose to be called something like "Hell on earth" (which turned in to the subtitle of the game), which was the episode with city themed levels. These are the garbage levels with the other ones being a lot better in quality.

doom 2 levels are amazing, you zoomer faggot

Attached: 1564973456177.jpg (571x1200, 79K)

GZDoom is fine, but it gives jump, croch and look up/down as default. Disable those things to be like the original games and it's better than PRboom+.

That's not Fortress of Mystery.

Doom 2 was using an old engine with new hardware, so they went comparatively nuts with the amount of enemies you could have onscreen at once and how large levels could be.

Turns out there's diminishing returns with that. As I see another 30 pinkies pour out of the walls, my reaction is nothing more than pure boredom. Doom 2 manages to make shooting boring.

200 minutes of vr