How did Undertale's music get so much more attention than most music in AAA stuff?

How did Undertale's music get so much more attention than most music in AAA stuff?

Attached: 6ef.gif (206x203, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=esofirhSD-o
youtube.com/watch?v=AyRtZ590E8A
youtube.com/watch?v=yhNOXJxg_wE
youtube.com/watch?v=vXQzuf-2KMM
youtu.be/-WyKbbP8ft0
youtube.com/watch?v=6nQbkE1DS0o
youtu.be/iPT_YvaM7vc
youtube.com/watch?v=F7nkPtPokO8
youtube.com/watch?v=OGVzsJ1v7eg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's actually good

Because fuck the AAA generic shit

THICC

its not bland shit

Attached: 1546042632368.png (512x492, 84K)

The game was catered towards children and adults who have the mentality of a child. That demographic is more likely to hype something up and talk about it incessantly, as they are easily excitable due to having experienced very few things in life. Therefore, children and transsexual "people" obsess and bring a lot of attention to things like Undertale due to their sheer, unrelenting autism.

See also: Trash Ultimate

soul
also "retro" style that doesn't sound like boiled ass

Aaaasriel :3
come here baby

its simple and catchy to make it easy to digest and did leitmotifs well to give it a little bit of depth

interesting, I never liked Undertale

Damn I've never seen someone so violently passionate for shitting on a game

It didn't even get mentioned as a nominee for best music during that years Game Awards

I went into undertale expecting it to be exactly as Yea Forums portrays it. But it was pretty fun overall. The only really cringe character was alphys.

Because most AAA stuff is forgetable just like current day movie music?

Hipsters be like

>OMG DUDE LISTEN TO THIS 8 BIT EARRAPE BEEP BOOP SHIT

hang yourself tumblr fag!

Attached: 27694569-512-k510675.jpg (512x800, 41K)

Just taking the bait and letting you know
You're a massive faggot

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me personally the catchy melodies and rhythmic ambience simply are more interesting than most ambient pieces and orchestra braps in big releases.

the furry mafia

too bad the music is plagiarized and the fanbase is toxic af.

Yeah, it was hard to tolerate her even knowing that she's supposed to be cringy and stereotypical. But at least Mettaton was great in the same segments.

Hipsters LOVE to be at ground 0 of the "new thing"
Notice how every discussion of this garbage is comparing it to AAA and how derivative and generic AAA is, but compare the best indie to the best AAA and it gets its teeth kicked out
Oh I'm sorry, second best, this garbage lost to car soccer

holy shit fucking BASED

I'm gonna need a source on that one, user

jewtubers, streamers and millennial freaks that gave the game WAY too much exposure despite being a pretentious piece of indishit

Nice tripcode faggot

Yeah Mettaton really saved that section. Shame he barely shows up in the other routes. Even got shafted out of a ramped up boss fight.

Toby Fox is a hack who only knows how to take old obscure video game tracks and turn them into Touhou-shit while reusing the same leitmotifs over and over. His Homestuck work was better anyway.

Attached: 68696.png (599x543, 574K)

what recent AAA games even have good music? It's mostly just ambient, orchestral movie scores

Mettaton is literally a tranny

>toxic af
you have to go back

It had good soundtracks, but there are better soundtracks out there like Witcher 3

>undertale
>8 bit

You expect anyone to take your shit seriously when you don't know what the fuck you're talking about?

Attached: brainlet 4.jpg (680x813, 56K)

It's catchy and nice to listen to outside of playing the game.

Melody
Leitmotif
Emotions>setting the scene
Thats literally it

The reason answer is strong melodies and excellent use of leitmotifs. Like 30% of the soundtrack shares a central melody and others are used multiple times as well, and it results in each track having an almost nostalgic feel. Even if you dont notice the thematic consistency yourself while playing, your brain does

Because it's better than most music in AAA stuff.

Attached: 55550547_p0_master1200.jpg (516x658, 122K)

because videogame music lost it's identity with the modernization of audio and only indie games are replicating it

Why does music in so many AAA games (western)suck so much
most games i beat i cannot remember any note worthy tracks
it's just white noise most of the time

Hollywood dominated culture

metal gear rising?

Attached: 1553789751439.jpg (1280x720, 108K)

MGR was more AA than AAA

Mettaton is literally a robot. Robots can't be trannies, because they don't have sex organs.

It's spastic and imitates the good stuff too well with no originality.

Because the way the songs are constructed make it easy and clear for most listeners to tell what the compositions are doing to evoke certain emotions and build on themes present in the story. The average person doesn't have the training in music appreciation to break down what's going on in a fully orchestrated composition don't have the training in music appreciation to understand what's going on in a fully orchestrated composition. There's nothing wrong with either style and sometimes the basics work best.

Its good. And different. And caters to the most autistic fanbase outside of Sonic. What else is there to say

>What else is there to say
niggers

:( why must you turn my post into a house of hatred

Yes, there are indeed no niggers in Undertale. That's why it is exponentially better than Deltarune, which has exactly 1(one) nigger.

Attached: ralsei.png (640x899, 43K)

NIGGER

He's a ghost that is constantly called a guy. He's just flamboyant.

People want more 8 bit music in games. It's nostalgic.

>ghost
Mettaton is not a ghost.

Correction, then, he was a ghost.

Everyone else right now is still stuck on shitting out generic orchestral shit without any kind of identity.

Tobi Fox is a composer first imo. It's the only 10/10 thing from that game

Not to memtion RULES OF NATURE was memed to hell and back, so I say it got plenty if attention. But I agree with
They all just want to sound like movies. Miss me with that gay shit.

Because most AAA games have the same shitty "epic" symphonic soundtracks, Undertale is somewhat different and catchier

undertale is in no way 8-bit

The first post was the best post, just wanted to check

/thread

I like Nier: Automata a lot

It sounds similar genius. It was clearly designed to sound like old 8-bit music.

Japanese games are generally doing pretty good still

>It's another "Yea Forums gets extremely upset about Undertale" thread

Attached: 1555446521659.jpg (900x596, 52K)

It doesn't sound 8-bit at all zoomer.

But user it legit doesn't sound 8-bit at all.

Just call it "chiptune", that way you aren't wrong.

Well, yeah, because it is.

I want to go back in time to the two week period of Yea Forums liking the game.

normalfags got a taste of the bandcamp music scene for the first time, instead of the generic modern marvelshit soundtracks. They would shit their pants if they ever heard a Danny B or Clark Powell album, but nobody played his games.

Attached: 1565825435545.png (540x547, 417K)

what, he literally wrote the characters and then did the soundtrack afterwards except for everything in the tutorial dungeon which is just old tracks he wrote and but never used for anything. Torial's theme is an unused homestuck b-side

Imagine hating a videogame this much.
Also, I recognize the fact that I only like Undertale so much because the music is so we'll done, if anyone else did it I'd probably hate the game.

The game is a cheap high, a one and done you finish in 6 hours. There's no way the hype for that was gonna hold up years later.

But user everyone on Yea Forums has to prove that they don't like popular thing

It's still holding up though

Because the fans are autistic

>STOP LIKING THINGS I DONT LIKE!

Attached: 1565598958331.jpg (233x217, 10K)

Are you merely pretending right now? What that guy you're replying to is saying is that the only thing Toby's good at is composing music, not that he wrote the music for the game first.
If I played Undertale on mute I'd be cringing the whole time because the music is a solid 10/10 when everything else is maybe a 6/10 at best.

It has catchy melodies rather than just there for ambience.

Because the music in "AAA stuff" is generic trash most of the time, and Undertale's is le quirky and retro, so everyone eats that 6/10 shit up.
They don't know of actual good soundtracks.

Toby Fox is a musician first, a game dev second.

His melodies are actually catchy, and he knows how to use music in the more moving moments of the game. He's just good.

this
guy that made the game is a musician, not game developer
game sucks, music is great
/thread

Undertale was weirdly prophetic of modern zoomer culture even though Toby is a late millennial, in that regard it holds up but gameplay wise it sucks. The edgy nihilism and depression and post-irony that runs through the game is in every single zoomer facebook and tiktok meme.

Witcher 3 was surprisingly good. The game gets a lot of praise in other areas, a little too much if you ask me, but the soundtrack legitimately doesn't get praised enough.

Fantastic games but they aren't AAA in the slightest.

the game itself is garbage it just handles everything else pretty well that it doesnt matter
a bit like automata except that automata ends up being shit anyway
2b has nice legs though

>Fantastic games but they aren't AAA in the slightest.
Um, yes they are

Toby and Taro are the overrated hacks of this generation.

Witcher 3 just ripped off a bunch of existing songs, and the original stuff was only occasionally good. First game's OST was better.

toby does a lot himself though, gotta respect that

its amazing how a single track can translate into different forms
youtube.com/watch?v=esofirhSD-o
youtube.com/watch?v=AyRtZ590E8A
youtube.com/watch?v=yhNOXJxg_wE
youtube.com/watch?v=vXQzuf-2KMM

He's not an auteur on the same level as somebody like Kojima or chris sawyer or Pixel though. But im sure he wishes he was and his fans think he is lmao.

hes got potential, hes only got 1 game under his belt so far
he might surprise us, who knows

A lot of AAA music is generic orchestrated shit that you won't remember. It's just background music.

Undertale's music is catchy, memorable, and you associate the music with a lot of characters as most boss fights have their own unique theme.

Attached: tenor (2).gif (294x276, 666K)

I really wish undertale could get a proper remake by a real studio (with Toby supervising obviously). The gameplay is so awful and while the art should be kept simple it could definitely be improved. Undertale would be an incredible game if the gameplay segments were improved and expanded on. The way it is, undertale feels like 2 hours of great segments/battles surrounded by 4 hours of bad filler.

nice bait trip fag
it's because the game was enjoyable

Who cares about the music when the gameplay and story are both terrible

the game also reuses a lot of tracks
its just fanboy cope in the end

Because AAA game soundtracks (with the exception of Nintendo games and a handful of Playstation titles) are all the exact same generic movie scores.

>"that part" of Asgore's theme plays during the battle and you immediately understand his mindset on a deeper level
This is why.

Attached: 1447392636980.jpg (540x543, 21K)

based tripfag

I think this is why I didn't like it very much. I feel like it was made for a certain demographic that I'm too old for.

One of the main themes, Megalovania, was also used in Homosuck years before Undertale. It's self plagiarism, but it's still plagiarism.

youtu.be/-WyKbbP8ft0

How did toby manage to make a song playing in reverse sound so good? youtube.com/watch?v=6nQbkE1DS0o

MTT's musical motif was also self plagiarized from a song Fox wrote for Cucumber Quest. It was the end of Noisemaster's theme.

youtu.be/iPT_YvaM7vc

You could also make the argument that MTT as a whole was lifted from CQ

it has as much soul as fortnite
Undertale is the human centipede result of big bang theory eating pop culture shit, then tumblr eating big bang theory's shit to shit out undertale. This game failed because it can't capture any emotion that's genuine or isn't reliant on shitty memetier humor- its clear that it tried to give the same impact Earth bound had which is pretty embarrassing.

Seeing Toby's recent game was YIIK, its not far off to say that he doesn't have anything left after undertale

Attached: 1536790189064.png (1866x1420, 3.76M)

Toby didn't make YIIK, he made a song for it.

AAA games have awful music.
There's creativity, catchiness and fun melodies in Toby's tunes.

yeah I meant that. sorry I was shit posting in 2 threads, my deepest gomennasais

Attached: 1564781352054.png (426x364, 29K)

Reversal is an old as fuck production trick. Even the beatles were doing it.

What a retarded question you already know the answer to

>Undertale
>nihilism
Pick one and ONLY one.

You have to go back.

Absolutely fucking based.

This. Original Super Meat Boy OST is one of my favorites.

Undertale's music is good. The sound of cute shota goats bleating is even better.

Attached: gote (3).jpg (917x1184, 200K)

oh fuck it's lancer's theme

Reminder that Asriel killed his own father and then mocked him.

All the attention in the world won't ever catch up to talent.

Based

My cute little shota friend could not even hurt a fly

Attached: Asriel Semi 2.jpg (587x800, 126K)

I love Undertale but you're absolutely right.

He's the main villain of the game. You're in love with a murderous psychopath.

>literally just three songs repeated over and over again

He's a just a small little shota goat. I'm gonna pet him and stroke his ears.

Attached: 1541425610405.png (457x364, 95K)

i don't think reusing your old work counts as plagiarism
otherwise everyone's a plagiarist

Goatmom and Ralsei are miles better than him though.

do you remember the music from ebin hollywood action flicks? it's the same shit for aaa games

Most of it is extremely cliche and predictable. None of it sounds good.

I'd say god of war had a fantastic soundtrack.
sure you could argue that its orchestral but mccrearys use of a hurdy gurdy along with other weird ass sounds gave it a pretty unique flavor.
youtube.com/watch?v=F7nkPtPokO8

one talented artist is better than 20 mediocre ones

not wrong
youtube.com/watch?v=OGVzsJ1v7eg

Self plagiarism is definitely a thing, especially in an academic setting. It's less 'reusing your old work' and more 'representing something old incorrectly as something new'.

Is it less odious than normal plagiarism? Definitely, yeah. But it's a thing.

Fucking this. Goes from "Patriotic Child Murderer" theme song to "I just want everything to go back to the way it was"

orchestral isn't bad per se. It can just turn out generic. But yeah GoW is pretty good.

The game blows ass but RDR2 has a great ost

Because it has actual melody, where as most music in AAA games these days is all chords and tones and ambience.

Put simply: Because you can whistle it.

user self plagiarism literally only applys in schools where they want you to do the work over agian. Furthermore plagiarising your own music is a meaningless crime, as plagiarising other people's music is only at cost to them. You can't compare academic plagurism with artistic plagurism like that.
Also kys tumblerite. But you know after you get this right.

My nigga

Attached: 1560856635543.jpg (680x447, 26K)

Hes necrotransrobosexual

based and redpilled as FUCK

Attached: 1565599539672.png (3000x3000, 1.45M)

Asriel and Chara are best friends!

Attached: 55799212.jpg (680x800, 146K)

FUCK TRANSPHOBES

Attached: CEC9F508-2B74-4BE6-BB13-1DBE46CCDB42.gif (554x400, 18K)