Do I have to play the first seven Mario Karts or can I jump into Mario Kart 8's story blind without any past knowledge?

Do I have to play the first seven Mario Karts or can I jump into Mario Kart 8's story blind without any past knowledge?

Attached: 1565494916696.png (554x460, 362K)

I'd say you can skip the first trilogy (Super, 64 and GBA) since it's a different timeline.

all you need to know is that Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach, and Dry Bowser come from a dark future timeline which is where Neo Bowser City takes place

This, start with DD for the current continuity. Also, 7 doesn't affect the main canon, so you can skip that one.

Fucking hell
There's still some important lore in the post-Double Dash!! that makes absolutely no sense without at LEAST basic story knowledge of Super and 64

This and you can skip the remake for the Switch.
The new characters are horriblee and contradict with everything they made before.
Also don't skip Double Dash, it's one of the most important ones for the series, if you skip it you will be completelly lost on the DS version.

>mario kart
>story
r u the retarded?

Is 8 still canon or was 8DX a full retcon

You need to play all the games if you want to understand the history behind the retro tracks. Otherwise you won't be able to appreciate what a good job Nintendo did remastering them.

Yes, 8DX was a sequel

Super circuit actually takes place in the paper mario timeline. It's got a different tone from the others but is still good.

you're the only retard here

no you idiot,

dry bones comes from the split new super mario timeline were mario prevents bowser jr from trowing dry bones into the magic brew that gives him his skin back

did you even play the games?

There's nothing in 8DX that I would consider a full retcon, just some minor detail fluffing just to make some of the incidents link in more with the overarching story rather than Mario just going from random adventure to random adventure, by having other established characters and their storylines actually be involved this time, and obviously to work in the new quests with the Inklings and BOTW Link.

Attached: MK8D_Image10.png (1280x720, 950K)

The dumbest thing you can do is skip Mario Kart Arcade GP. People do it all the time and then they wonder where the hell Metal Mario came from.

Attached: RoboMarioScreen.png (920x751, 776K)

Just watch a video, user.
The story and writing of these games are top notch, but the gameplay will let you down.
You literally just hold one button to win.

Attached: 1449639098301.jpg (768x1024, 65K)

Double dash actually splits off into 2 separate timelines, console and handheld, then they re-merge for 8. So I'd say play SNES MK, dd, and 8.

Those girls look familiar but the ugly blonde wigs throw me off.

That's Robo Mario though. He was built by E Gadd, not a Lovecraftian iron abomination in the guise of our hero.

Attached: fc97c260ea194d3c6702ee1ad4e05f7f.png (237x262, 72K)

Mario Kart doesn't have a story, but I do recommend playing older games as every Mario Kart game since the DS version has introduced retro courses (basically remakes of older courses). You won't appreciate the retro courses as much if you just play Mario Kart 8.

The one on the right is Anri, dunno who the left one is.

Exactly. But the people who skipped it won't know that Bowser created Metal Mario using stolen Robo Mario blueprints. They also won't know how Robo Mario sacrifices himself to prevent the robot uprising almost caused by one of the many Metal Marios produced by ShyGuynet.

Attached: source.gif (500x211, 1.26M)

>he doesn't know

fukcing epic

Attached: 1565494722519.jpg (1024x946, 40K)

>Mario Kart
>Story

user...

>he didn't enjoy that time Luigi actually got with Daisy
>he didn't enjoy how Isabelle completely trolled all of the Koopa kids
>he didn't like how Wario got his revenge on Mario
Mario Kart 8 had the best story ever written.

Explain this, lorefags.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 134K)

Remember those 128 Mario clones? Now give them all a power up.

Attached: MK8D_Image1.png (1280x720, 1.16M)