Star Citizen is the most expensive game ever

Star Citizen has passed GTAV and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 as the most expensive budget for a game of all time.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop
The most expensive video game budget ever made was GTAV at $265 million or adjusting for inflation Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 at $292 million

robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals
Star Citizen has received $231 million in donations.

cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/letter-from-the-chairman/investment-news
It has also received in 2018 $46 million from a minority investment from Clive’s family office and Keith’s Snoot Entertainment which is not included in the donations.

cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cfo-comment-2012-2017-financials
Before the 2018 investment firm money they had already received $32 million from subscribers and partnerships not part of the crowd funding.

231+46+32=309

>309 MILLION DOLLARS
Star Citizen is now the most expensive game budget ever. (Adjusting for SC inflation annually adds another 16 million to 327 million)
No game has ever received as much funding as Scam Citizen.

Thoughts?

Attached: StarCitizenLogo.jpg (1920x1080, 113K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Most_expensive_video_games
forbes.com/sites/mattperez/2019/05/01/exclusive-the-saga-of-star-citizen-a-video-game-that-raised-300-millionbut-may-never-be-ready-to-play/#4ecf85bb5ac9
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The fans are literally a cult. The coping is mind-boggling. My roommate bought into it and he says that he's gotten his money's worth, even in it's current state.

>game

>Lost Wallet in game item
Even the devs know it.

Attached: T-Shirt.png (2522x1150, 860K)

Attached: 5321FC6E-D1D0-43E2-B894-81C9450804FB.jpg (1200x687, 144K)

Attached: EE7098EC-6ECB-4157-A8F8-0B4D72EAD18A.png (1400x1800, 2.37M)

>ITT: intense, prolonged goon cope
still agitated since 2013

Attached: 1565248266686.jpg (2008x2968, 2.33M)

Scam Shitizen

Attached: 1501569526094.jpg (1024x602, 76K)

Star Citizen thread?

>Trying to do the tarantula nebula dungeon with some randoms
>Since the latest patch lets you use cargo space to mount weapons we pick up a freighter player with some meme dps build and a tonne of guns as a joke
>Guy didn't actually have guns
>He just rolls need on everything and uses his cargo space to steal loot

Attached: based derek.png (788x1014, 612K)

who cares

I still find it hilarious that people think shit like this is in any way unusual in the game development world.

How were people ever gullible enough to buy into this scamware?

Did those game studios use donated money to do it?

Mayhap....

This has now reached the Xenu level of scamming.
I'm impressed.

It's irrelevant because both of those things are actually money-savers. That automatic door? Common security feature, allows 24/7 access to the office without having to hire a full-time security guard. That coffee machine? A hell of a lot cheaper than paying for multiple Starbucks runs a day for a 100 person staff. You see similar things in pretty much any game studio for similar reasons, especially ones that do a lot of crunch (prolonged periods of heavy overtime), and without stuff like that you're gonna have a harder time attracting employees unless you try to compete by paying them more, which would be a hell of a lot more money down the drain.

Show me one (1) company that buys 13k coffee machines without having released a single game.

I spent a total of $400 on this back in 2013
a.m.a.

Are you retarded?

An automatic door is nice, but wouldn't the goofy scifi decor have made it cost at least somewhat more than a normal sliding door would have?

Are you double retarded?

You're dumb as shit. You can buy a 100$ coffee maker that will make coffee for the whole staff and you can also just have a keycard/FOB reader installed for less than 500$.

Back in elementary school I was placed in the honors program and had some college credits before I finished high school thanks to AP classes.

I also lettered in academics thanks to my gpa, but never bought the jacket so I just have the patch with the letters.

>elementary
>honors
Yup, the "special" class for "smart" kids. Retard confirmed.

;_;

It continues to happen and no one cares because we need work.

A lot of different people are working on star citizen yet no one says shit about it. I can't even find a way to start discussion without MUH NDA popping up.

Unlimited detail and the crisis clone are two popular examples. We have so many more and third world artists will continue to fall for the startups because the startups give into the $10hr they request.

If I remember right, that door doesnt restrict access to the offices, its for their public relation meeting room where they take guests.

Wait that class was for the retards? After all this time I thought I was the dumb one for not getting into it in elementary school.

>goonpost
>archer
>derek smarties
>i just called my stanley rep
>i would then double that

Attached: 1564707746699.jpg (492x388, 39K)

i know people talk shit but this company is actually really legit. i got a full size jpeg picture of a really cool space ship, and it only cost me 2500$ of real life money. you idiots just dont know the true value of things

i spent around $550 back when it was on kickstarter, got scared and sold both ships for $2000. One of my fav games now. Part of the reason i got scared was also that I was pissed they changed the art style of vanduul scythe, original was much better.

Attached: 1451116462_1449893461499.gif (630x354, 3.58M)

>meanwhile my multi billion dollar company used a walmart coffee maker

Can't wait to see the desperate coping from whales ITT. The last thread was full of it.
>no don't you see, it DOES exist! It's a good thing that I spent 1000 dollars on an unreleased game!

Attached: 1523475838373.png (1000x1000, 77K)

Most places just toss a couple of keuregs in the break room. In fact only those California tech startups that last about a year or Google tend to splurge this much on coffee makers at work.

i just wanted Freelancer 2.0, but now it will be released in 2030 (with any luck), cost 60$ to boot to menu, then 1000$ for your first ship. Ships will be un-fly-able except by the very best autists. I don't know what to think, they should have released a fucking space fighting game then work on FPS, etc. Just iterate one a good core, don't fucking do everything at once and wait 30 years to ship it. What a absolute bummer

Probably a bit, but it's a pretty simple build with MDF or plywood, I could do it myself. Aside from that, though, something nobody ever points out is that the door mechanism may well have been in the building when they bought it, I looked the place up a while back and it used to be a commercial photo/video studio so it'd make sense for them to have had big automatic doors for rolling equipment in and out.

Oh yeah? Show me this $100 coffee machine, one that'll withstand years of everyday use. The cheapest commercial drip machines with appropriate capacity that I can find are like $1,200 minimum, and those are shitty diner drip coffee makers, not nice espresso makers that will make your employees happy and be something that might help talent decide to come work for you and not a competitor.

All of that aside, though, both of those things are ridiculously tiny drops in the bucket compared to pretty much any other expense involved in this game. The building that door and coffee machine are in is worth close to $5 million, and CIG have probably done at least 500k worth of remodeling, furnishing, and equipping.

the 46 million is for marketing only. if you include marketing budget there are games way more expensive than Star Citizen

>the goofy scifi decor
It's called branding and mind-setting, done on purpose to set the ambience right for the employees to FEEL what's it about, to foster creative juices.

Yeah, Star Citizen isn't finished, and it won't be for a long while (the single player based SQUADRON 42 is slated to go beta by Summer 2020, my educated guess is it will go 'gold' by Xmas 2020, and the MMO STAR CITIZEN will take longer than that). But SC's engine had a lot of growing pains and broke a lot of industry ground in terms of features. Granted, Chris Roberts is a stickler and fanatic for details, but I can see his vision what he wants to achieve - not just merely a game, but a "life simulation in the far future". The level of detail and interaction just with those ships alone is astonishing.
Even though a lot of people are arguing about the "x hundred dollar JPG ships", you're not paying for the ship per set, you're paying for the support of development.
Effectively all you need is the usual new-game price ranges starter package for around 50 bucks.
As for the "pay to win"-i-bought-a-capital-ship-for-400-bucks-to-kick-your-ass argument; it's not working that way, the bigger the ship the more costly the ancillary support costs in terms of ship maintenance in-game, with in-game currency.
Which ties into the "life-sim in the far future".
My educated guess is this: it will take another year+ for the remaining, needed core game-engine systems (server meshing and NPC AI), then another half to a year of raw-tuning them all together, then the actual content will drastically go up (more star systems and planets, missions, POIs, ships and more), then the fine-tuning before it's "done™".
Star citizen faced a lot of technical challenges, which at current stage have been resolved for the most part.
It will get there, I am sure of that, but do the players have the patience to wait for it?
CIG is the only one that shows in detail, what's going on with the dev process publically.

i want to add that their big ass team is such a waste of resources. They pay so many third-party studios (artists and what not) and their core mechanics still don't look very polished seeing from their awkward gameplay videos. God damn it

Is this pasta ?

>broke a lot of industry ground in terms of features.

Really? I can concede the game looks pretty nice but aside from that it doesn't seem that much better in terms of size and play than, say, WoW or FF, not enough to justify its massive price tag.

So much staff with multiple offices and very little gets done.

It's mind boggling to me.

>see that crater?
>all of skyrim can fit in it
Star Citizens planets are massive beyond fucking belief. Still empty though.

protip: anyone claiming all that shit about one video game... is lying. none of what you said will ever come to pass, especially not from the people behind start citizen

>Show me this $100 coffee machine
You just stick a Keurig or 2 in there and you're done.

It's true that they're tiny drops in the 250+ mil budget of this retarded tech demo, but it shows why 7 years later they barely have an alpha scrapped together, because of mismanagement and spending time/money on useless shit.

>educated guess
You won't fool anyone mister cult member.

>Star Citizen is the most expensive game ever
Sure, if you only count development/marketing costs

Street Fighter II is the most expensive game ever made, Capcom spent over $382 million, not adjusted for inflation, manufacturing the carts. Adjusted for inflation SFII cost over $700 million.

>vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Most_expensive_video_games

It's pretty easy to make shit huge when it doesn't have anything in it and there's no mechanic to implement besides walking/flying around.

He just wanted to get something to eat, you guys!

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1920x1080, 71K)

people saying star citizen is groundbreaking and listing all these crazy revolutionary features without nary a demo all these years. you deserve to be dissapointed. this is going to be like spore all over again but worse because they've been taking peoples money donations for years

Yea but give it another 14 years and Star Citizen should be past the 750 mil mark. They might even reach beta by that point, but that's being optimistic.

I can't tell whether this guy or the dude with the Mickey Mouse voice are more hilarious

Is Star Citizen the Theranos of the gaming world?

Attached: Elizabeth_Holmes_2014_(cropped).jpg (330x381, 23K)

>without nary a demo all these years

Attached: 1564964066053.gif (500x500, 420K)

By how much have they expanded their dev size since the project started?

So you're autistic, then?

something like 500 employees in 3 studios.

Imagine posting this as a thread, this very same text which was a comment in another thread about Star Citizens budget

Attached: 1565791720975.png (644x800, 15K)

Not pasta, just someone who's a sceptic-retard who dug into the detail since 2014.

At this point, it's (sort of) tiny in terms of play-space to where it's heading.
Take for examples the scale; orbital machanics have been reduced to a tenth of real astro physics, otherwise people would be bored to death to travel between the planets/POIs at 0.2 c (in-game 'mini-warp' speed). Yet, one moon alone is so big, that even with all 2.5 million players/accounts evenly spaced out on its surface, they won't be able to see each other.
The scale is massive.
As for features, take for example the ability to pick up anything, examine/manipulate it, and place it anywhere in the world to be left there persistently - regardless inside a ship, a POI or a moon/planets' surface.
Or
The systems with how ships work, their power/cooling/Newtonian avionics/damage state tracking. You damage/destroy i.e. nav-thrusters, and the ship can't roll clockwise any longer, or certain parts won't get power anymore because the in-hull power-lines are shot.

Or, that pretty much every ship has a bed and a toilet, because you will need to go to sleep (also for safely logging out) and eat/drink/piss/shit/cook food (yes, mid-sized and bigger ships actually have cooking/food processing stalls/kitchens)

As I said, it won't be just a mere GAME, it's going to be a life-sim-in-the-future.

Possibly. Never been tested for it but I do obsess over stupid shit.

>haha nobodies even gotten close to play the game they claim they're making but it will totally be how they say! it must be because i spent money!!!
you. will. never. play . star . citizen. it is . a . scam

fucking retard

>haha nobodies even gotten close to play the game they claim they're making but it will totally be how they say
are you joking user?

>are you joking user?
Nah, he is just butthurt, because he wants to belong to something he can't ;-)

no joke. if they ever launch star citizen fully, it will never ever ever be close to what they're telling you it will be. you are giving money away to people that will never even come close to the game they're selling you right now

if i throw away hundreds of dollars can i join your club? or shoudl i just give it away, will you let me be friends with you?

user you realize there is a playable alpha running all the experimental tech that the backers can play whenever they want

is that what was promised to you? an alpha? i guess your money was well spent then *tips* retard

you definitely wont wait for years to play a product that is nothing like what was promised right? you'ren ot a total cuck right?

yes it was promised and delivered, i've played it

you didn't do the bare minimum research before getting the shitposts going did you dipshit

So people say youre supposed to be able to see billions of stars in the night sky, but you can't because of light pollution, right?
Howcome when I watched moon landing documentaries, all those old farts kept saying when they were on the dark side of the moon they saw nothing but pure blackness? Shouldnt they have had a better view of the stars than anyone ever has?
>inb4 it was fake

I think its funny that this entire project sank because of one man.

The cult of personality is a dangerous game.

>Howcome when I watched moon landing documentaries, all those old farts kept saying when they were on the dark side of the moon they saw nothing but pure blackness?
Wrong board, kiddo, this for games, and your hijacking-bait post has nothing to do with Star Citizen

it sank?

>NMS shaping up
>Everspace announcing a persistent sequel
>Underspace coming out
Why even play Star Citizen when so many better space options are becoming available?

It's a scam

>STAR Citizen has nothing to do with STARS
Ok, bucko.

I mean not him but my law office. 140 people in the office, at least 2 coffees a day for half of them. Its a lot of coffees in a week, let alone a year. You want a machine that wont break down in a few days or else the lawyers are going to start throwing the clerks out the windows to get more coffee.

I dont get why people freak out over this stupid coffee machine and stupid door. Why is that over the top when they spent literally millions and millions paying developers to make content which was cut because one man said he didnt like it? It seems like low tier stupid bait to think a coffee machine is relevant.

user i need you to tell me you posted that ironically

Attached: 1565800515009.gif (262x300, 2.89M)

Over 300 million down the drain, years over budget, down to their last tens of millions, no game.

Thats a sunk project. Speaking as someone who had $240 in the game, got a refund a year ago though. I still keep up with it but this is not a game and its no where near complete. They dont have another $300m to finish it either.

So when does the pooping minigame show up on the roadmap, and will it support a dual flightstick setup? Also will they be bringing actors for mocap and audio recording for said poopigame?

Attached: 1565754864887.jpg (640x630, 87K)

>Speaking as someone who had $240
Anything you say should be dismissed outright as your opinions on things have no merit. You have forfeited all credibility for all time.

I wanted Freelancer 2 from this game, it's shaping up into a shitty game. I'd rather put my support behind something that's actually got a chance of being that Freelancer 2.

>had
I always had the right to refund because I come from a country with actual consumer protection laws.

Unlike you im not retarded. It was a no risk bet.

Are the promised procedurally generated birds in yet?

>Over 300 million down the drain, years over budget, down to their last tens of millions
sauce? no?

user you need to rethink your whole fucking life

>rethink my whole life
Why? Fuck me Underspace looks more Freelancer than SC does at this point, and I don't have to wait twenty years for it to come out.

You paid 240 for a game, you are retarded.

Has anyone snuck onto anyone else's ship and pooped on it

underspace looks worse than freelancer did at launch

the SC alpha is already better than no mans sky even after years of desperate patching

Freelancer still looks great though, and you're not suffering from the mess of ship design that is SC

>the mess of ship design that is SC
lol go to fucking bed derek

It was worth it when the game was what was promised, it isnt anymore.

Difficult concept for a moron to grasp but you'll understand when you leave school.

It's made by Yea Forumslancer's devs.

>It was worth it
Wow what a retard

Attached: GEDDAN.webm (1200x675, 2.41M)

forbes.com/sites/mattperez/2019/05/01/exclusive-the-saga-of-star-citizen-a-video-game-that-raised-300-millionbut-may-never-be-ready-to-play/#4ecf85bb5ac9

>At the end of 2017, for example, Roberts was down to just $14 million in the bank

>just $14 million
Oh my god, how will he afford food?

>this custom made space door is a security feature bro totally not frivolous spending because they can

Attached: 1565144791716.jpg (211x203, 15K)

>he fell for Freelancer 2
no really show me them donations you made I really want to laugh at you

Attached: __junko_touhou_drawn_by_okema__d0318b543e8cd7e3114a2bde105ad460.jpg (600x600, 118K)

I only backed the real Freelancer 2 tyvm
and also Limit Theory. It still hurts.

Is it released yet? As in finalized as a commercial product?

post yfw you didn't fall for Scam Citizen

Attached: 1534536913326.png (611x792, 618K)

yes

Post yfw you did pledge and still dab on salty goon threads every day

Attached: t_cultist.png (821x191, 98K)

>F-F-Fr-ree-l-lancer w-w-was...g-g-ood
>STOP LAUGHING AT ME

Attached: laughing-dead-weight.png (267x338, 106K)

Oh dont worry, he paid himself tens of millions.

Its only the company going to zero :^)

They rented it
They didn't buy it
Still retarded but not 13k retarded.

He sounds smart :^)

>this underage bitch missed out on the glory of Yea Forumslancer

Like said, huge environments don't mean that much if they're so empty.

Hey as long as you get yours right America :^)))))

>specifically mention that the worlds are empty
>get called out by multiple anons about it anyway

Attached: 1479784762073.png (492x293, 215K)

Nope, I didnt get anything. As long as he screws over the right people, then it's a good thing 8^)

You didnt earn it, you should have started a big company and promised big things then cashed out :^))))

I should have 8^)

I got way too excited early on and since then I've just shuffled store credit around. Haven't given them any money in like a year at least.

Attached: whale.jpg (1905x1022, 321K)

I wasn't calling you out, or at least I didn't intend to. I was just saying that the massive size of the planets alone isn't enough to justify the price tag of SC, I think you might agree with me.

idiot

The server is still up, you could play

This happened with Ion Storm too. They leased this wonderland of an office space in downtown Dallas and kited it out with a party room and A++ decor and the rent monthly on it was like 50k or some shit which they could never keep up with, which is why they went under even with successful games going out. It's a proven fact the difference in success in the tech industry is nerds doing nerd shit and the business guys managing it. Can't do one without the other.

College education (especially nowadays) doesn't mean you're NOT retarded. Depending on the college and the degree it also works against your defense.

Yes, the slight of hand for actual results is almost 1 to 1.

>All these poors on Yea Forums
Over 5k and still happy

The thing is, though, that successful studios are generally the same way, even new studios making their first big game. I live in LA and have a lot of game dev friends, including a bunch who work within a few blocks of CIG. They've all got the same kinds of shit in their offices.

Ion was a bit of a different story, their place was really over the top compared to what CIG or most other studios have. CIG's is pretty tame in comparison.

Being intelligent and having sense are two very different things. I should know, I'm confirmed around 150 IQ (multiple tests from different testers etc.) and yet I blew like 2k on this fucking game.

>Like # said, huge environments don't mean that much if they're so empty

They're not as empty as you make it out to be, have you even tried/played it?

>idiot
You're just salty of his disposable income, dropping 1600 bucks on a game, because he can

Nope

Wrong. If you don't include marketing every other game's budget drops a good 100 million below just the crowdfunding money.

Reminder that every single mainline pokemon game makes billions and the franchise is worth over 90 billion.
They could literally make every single game the most expensive game ever made, with each successive game more expensive than the last to break this record every time to keep it true, and they would still make massive profits.
And they treat it like a cheap B team project.

Meanwhile a game that is likely a scam that wont ever come out has received more funding than any other game ever conceived on the vague promise of an eventual release.

The world is a funny place.

Attached: fuck.jpg (556x700, 91K)

Interesting. Adding in manufacturing costs it's still the second most expensive, not adjusting for inflation and 6th adjusting for inflation.
Given games don't have physical releases anymore I doubt Street Fighter II will ever be passed.

Heh...

Shit, that's pretty interesting. But how much did SFII cost without physical manufacturing, since as you say physical releases aren't so much a thing anymore?

Cope seems real.

Attached: Screenshot_20190815-164748_Chrome.jpg (1080x2220, 524K)

According to that link around $30 million to market and maybe develop.

>You're just salty because you are not retarded