Are SaGa games actually good or do hipsters just pretend to enjoy their jankiness like Dragon Quest fans?

Are SaGa games actually good or do hipsters just pretend to enjoy their jankiness like Dragon Quest fans?

Attached: SaGa_Frontier_US_box_art.jpg (256x255, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gameinjapanese.com/iwata-asks-final-fantasy-the-crystal-bearers-part-i/
youtube.com/watch?v=1ZJxonv4AbI&list=PLmQ0ukKaG1TnNHsFEtO6uwIhtKCFzioRG
youtube.com/watch?v=aD0MgDglVRo&list=PLmQ0ukKaG1TnNHsFEtO6uwIhtKCFzioRG&index=28
youtube.com/watch?v=HYMFwBgyt-Q&list=PLmQ0ukKaG1TnNHsFEtO6uwIhtKCFzioRG&index=8
youtube.com/watch?v=_Fh31cE_KCU
youtube.com/watch?v=UIVz5akeVow
youtube.com/watch?v=5GU_N2QP_hI
gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/198537-saga-frontier/faqs/58412
gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/561939-unlimited-saga/faqs/39002
youtube.com/watch?v=DWvEsYnPojE
youtube.com/watch?v=uzJVCWRvujY
youtube.com/watch?v=LTj4n0L9Uh0
youtube.com/watch?v=tPv2Ely79lI
youtube.com/watch?v=pEkppaI3LFM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Both.

Attached: Unlimited SaGa 2.webm (900x674, 2.78M)

Little of column A, little of column B.

liking saga in your reality makes them hipsters?
how old are you btw? i need to know this answer.

Mostly the latter

Didn't they make it a spin-off of Final Fantasy outside of Japan back in the day? I'm guessing they're mediocre.

They're absolutely great, but definitely not for everyone.
Hard to call a multimillion selling series something for hipsters either.

Attached: Phantom.webm (800x600, 2.98M)

Yes.

Attached: saga_2_hihou_densetsu__goddess_of_destiny_art_22.jpg (364x500, 31K)

The first three GB games were rebranded as FFL in America, they have nothing to do with FF.
>I'm guessing they're mediocre.
You're guessing very, very wrong.

Attached: D3DX3OuUwAAMpK1.jpg (1200x869, 226K)

Reminder that there will be a TGS direct regarding the RS3 remaster.
Kawazu already said to not expect something like Minstrel Song, just to make sure, it will be a remaster with minor additions and not a remake.

Still mad that the DS remakes of 2 and 3 never got official localizations and the fan translation of 3 fell apart due to bickering.

>Are SaGa games actually good
Sort of. SaGa is full of a LOT of experimental components. In fact, so many that the only thing I would say relates to an actual RPG is the use of turns and HP. Everything else is unique to SaGa. A lot of it is really good, but then there's a lot of it that's really bad. It's just a matter if you find more good than bad.

anime art is so stupid. everyone is either super unhappy or super happy.

I thought SaGa 3 DS got a full translation though?
Given how Squenix is pushing the series lately we might get an enhanced port someday, with some luck.
After all we got RS2 and 3, and even Scarlet Grace, if we make enough noise they might very well consider some kind of "HD" rerelease.

Not really, but whatever floats your boat.
>complaining about anime on Yea Forums

Attached: DssSNWpUcAEL1I4.jpg (718x1024, 105K)

Attached: C1QRDfGUkAEuDkY.jpg orig.jpg (1124x1500, 376K)

i can complain about whatever i want, you socially needy faggot, but keep trying to stop complaining on Yea Forums. top fucking kek

That game was strange as fuck 2deep4me

SaGa still uses a lot of classic RPG mechanics, many of its unique mechanics, like PC monsters or the stat systems are also elaborations of mechanics from other games, turned into something almost completely different to be sure, but still elaborations at their core.
The series also loves to reuse D&D stuff, especially spells like Fireball, Mirror Image, Missile Guard and even some of the more niche ones like Simulacrum, part of what makes it a great series is that it's a fusion of various different RPG designs and Kawazu's own madness, it's pretty fun to look for all the various homages to old RPGs or even tabletop games.

put me in the screenshot, reddit

>not enjoying jankiness
What kinda fagola are you?

saga is great. kawazu is a genius and he deserves way more recognition than he gets. it's awesome how square is finally showing the series some love.

Saga is a shit series with garbage-tier '''art''' and 'experimental' (shit) gameplay.
These games were panned at release and for good reason.
Just play Suikoden if you're looking for a good oldfag JRPG.

Filtered.

maybe xenocringe 2 is more your speed, zoomer.

It's sad how the west totally ignores him when he's a big shot in Japan.
On that matter, you all should read this, it's one of the series of interviews Iwata made with various japanese devs back when he was still alive, it's a fun read, sheds some light on FFCC too for the fans of that game.
gameinjapanese.com/iwata-asks-final-fantasy-the-crystal-bearers-part-i/

XBX is the only good one

you go into dark souls topics

Facts

>Shitting on Tomomi's art
>Implying SaGa has bad gameplay
Nigger

Attached: Romancing_Saga_-_047-048_Poster_3.jpg (3646x2881, 3.41M)

is that Armin Arlert

>These games were panned at release and for good reason.
JP sales to Worldwide sales:
1.07m SaGa Frontier // 1.35m
0.71m SaGa Frontier 2 // 0.94m
0.38m Suikoden II // 0.68m
0.21m Suikoden // 0.60m

Attached: 1552677923871.jpg (294x294, 18K)

FRONTIER REMAKES FUUUCCKKKIIINNG WHEEEEEEEEEEEENNNN!!!!!!!?

FUCK ROMANCING! BITCHES AIN'T SHIT! I WANT TO RIDE THE PRAIRIE MY NIGGAS!

Soon™.
Give it a few more years.

Attached: Frontier beach flag.webm (430x600, 805K)

Soul or soulless, Yea Forums?

Attached: SaGa_Frontier_II_Cinegrid.jpg (2014x1632, 1.23M)

Eventually.

Attached: 12520157.jpg (818x900, 515K)

I appreciate unpolished but interesting games. There's not much else out there like the SaGa games, and they do things I love.

Reading comprehension sweetie. No one is talking about sales

Also I'd argue that, despite the jankiness, they're genuinely good games and not just interesting ones.

it really is all i want

Attached: WhiteRose.jpg (1024x677, 129K)

Attached: fuse2.jpg (695x1000, 303K)

The entire series is made with love, Frontier 2 is no exception.
youtube.com/watch?v=1ZJxonv4AbI&list=PLmQ0ukKaG1TnNHsFEtO6uwIhtKCFzioRG
youtube.com/watch?v=aD0MgDglVRo&list=PLmQ0ukKaG1TnNHsFEtO6uwIhtKCFzioRG&index=28
youtube.com/watch?v=HYMFwBgyt-Q&list=PLmQ0ukKaG1TnNHsFEtO6uwIhtKCFzioRG&index=8

Attached: Gustave the Comfy XIIIth.jpg (1300x1440, 3.13M)

>Tfw I just played Saga Frontier for the first time and fucking loved it
Red was the best one and Emilia's ending pissed me off. I liked the ambiguity of Blue's ending but fuck Riki's final boss and fuck Oscillation. Developers room was full of so much damn soul, holy shit.

romancing saga minstrel song is great, a pc/switch port would be appreciated.

You're a fucking faggot retard, christ

Honestly, the most I was expecting was bug-fixes and an alright translation so anything else is a bonus.

>I liked the ambiguity of Blue's ending

It's not ambiguous.
You weren't ever suppose to beat Satan, just stall him long enough for hell to get resealed, which is what happens and is why everything just suddenly freezes

That's a cute pic but dafuq they have plants under the table for?

Based Hamauzu.
youtube.com/watch?v=_Fh31cE_KCU
youtube.com/watch?v=UIVz5akeVow
youtube.com/watch?v=5GU_N2QP_hI

Attached: JustRightJacket.png (557x600, 105K)

Blue's ending confused the crap out of me as a kid. I remember resetting the game and trying again because I thought I did something wrong.

>b...but muh metacritic
>S...sales don't count no bully
OH NONONONO
Suikoden was never critically acclaimed, SaGa games made history, not to mention they're still getting made.

Attached: Laughing scientologist.jpg (800x450, 61K)

>they're still getting made.
[citation needed]

>fuck Riki's final boss and fuck Oscillation
RingLord is considered the toughest final boss in Frontier, and if you think Oscillation is bad you probably never witnessed Revolution 9 spam, each fucking turn, shit's even more brutal than Starbuster.

Was going to say Scarlet Grace, but apparently that was all the way back in 2016. Time is going by too fast.

>Fuck Oscillation

you can buy an accesory that nullified Sonic attacks in Manhattan.

who is that in the back?
im having trouble remembering characters besides a few.

should we tell him?

Attached: 1558610365965.jpg (827x1049, 234K)

Kelvin and Flynn.

>Frontier remake with Fuse scenario included as intended.

Muh tower card

I still hold out hope

Attached: fuse saga frontier.jpg (1000x800, 106K)

Imagine if they actually finish Emilia's story when they do.

>an Emelia scenario where her costumes work a intended

mama mia.

Emelia's Costumes' Effects:
Pink Tiger: use Liza's Spark Talent List instead of Emelia's.
Bunny: no change except appearance (still uses Emelia's Spark Talent List).
Dancer: use Annie's Spark Talent List instead of Emelia's.
Commando: no change except appearance (still uses Emelia's Spark Talent List).
Wedding Dress: keep whichever Spark Talent List she had immediately before
changing (so if, e.g. she went on her final mission as Pink
Tiger, she would keep Liza's List).
gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/198537-saga-frontier/faqs/58412

Were they supposed to do more?

A light bulb just appeared over your head Yea Forums. What skill do you perform?

Me? No Moment.

>Fuse scenario
>Asellus alternate escape route/Nusakan
>Red's multiple endings with Yuria
>Lute scenario that doesn't suck
>King of Region quest
>Furdo's quest
>Proper Biolab questline
>Recruitable Ren
>Made in UE4 with a decent budget
>Option for original and arranged OST
>Option for PS1 costumes and remade costumes that perfectly follow Tomomi's original design
>Keep the Dev Room at the end of the game when you complete all scenarios
>Minstrel Song tier amount of polish and additional mechanics
>Integrate regions like Santuario
>Optional hard mode
Imagine

Attached: 1564347879491.png (382x383, 181K)

Attached: Ct_twYmVMAElcR5.jpg orig.jpg (1860x1200, 474K)

Three Dragons, Unlimited Ver.

Attached: Silver combo.webm (560x420, 2.87M)

Emilia's story was one of the complete ones though.
Now, Lute's story...

>Punch

!!!9!!!

Can I...can I kick him?

dunno, but they line up nicely with each of the abilities Humans can use (Fighting, Magic, Swords and Guns) so they could do something like "X Costume gives a bonus to X ability".

>SaGa
>fight a bunch of generic battles on the way through a dungeon
>kill enemies with your sword because your character uses swords, so your sword level increases further
>use your strongest sword skill on the boss

>other jrpgs
>fight a bunch of generic battles on the way through a dungeon
>kill enemies with whatever seems to be most effective, gain levels and learn new skills
>use a combination of available tools to overcome the boss because the devs know what your options are and can balance the difficulty just right

I get that the SaGa method could lead to differences if you plan to play a game several times but if you're just doing one playthrough is it not a subpar experience?

I enjoyed romancing saga games because I like the idea of increasing skill based on how much you use abilities. It's janky as fuck too, but they're well designed enough. Never played any but the romancing saga games so I can't speak on them. I hear the GB games are good if not really basic.

Will we ever get another game as avant-garde as Unlimited?

Yeah that would be cool. I remember for years a lot of people assumed it worked like that or they did nothing at all. Then someone looked at the data and saw how a couple of them affected skill learning.

Would be cool if Commando affected guns and Bunny affected magic though.

Probably only indie games. Sadly it seems rarer now for big companies to experiment like that.

true, but since they change Spark Talent lists, there's kinda no reason to use anything but Pink Tiger, since Liza's one of, if not the best martial artists in the game.

One can only hope.
But seeing the current state of both the industry and the audience, I doubt it, perhaps Kawazu's last hurrah before retiring will be some kind of proper successor, or maybe something even crazier, you never know with the guy.
I'd also really like another SaGa mainline with 2D sprites though, but I guess that's even more unlikely than getting a game close to Unlimited's mechanical level and experimentation.

Right. I always use Liza when she's available. Not only is she powerful, she's cute too.

Attached: liza.jpg (700x850, 55K)

I don't know if we well. At least from Saga games.

Being a young kid who grew up on ff, vagrant story and xenogears with a fortune (60 bucks) spending all of
that money on a game with a cool looking box and the square enix logo on it, what could possibly go wrong? Oh boy, was I wrong alright. I started to worry when I kept asking myself 'okay, when does the menues end and the game begin?' but it never happened. Then to realize the combat system is a fucking slot machine. Worst blind purchase I ever made.

Attached: 18780_front.jpg (640x865, 75K)

>there's kinda no reason to use anything but Pink Tiger
It's boring to use the same builds all the time though, especially in a series like SaGa that allows you to do whatever you like.
Minmaxing is fine and all but minmaxing alone makes even these games boring as fuck, even Unlimited and MS with their more accentuated roguelike elements become boring, every playthrough would end up with a bunch of Axe/Bow users or polearm/Castle knights and some Rosalian mages with a bunch of utility skills.

Shame because Pink Tiger is my least favorite appearance-wise.

Zoom zoom

Attached: Unlimited SaGa.webm (640x480, 2.89M)

unlimited was so hated when it came out that there will probably never be another game like it.

>use your strongest sword skill on the boss

You get five party members who can combo with other party member's moves for damage multipliers. Not every party member can use swords effectively and some sword moves don't combo well with other sword moves so you build parties for most potential.

Attached: inspiredbythesameexcellence.png (1194x895, 1001K)

This was me, followed by Children of Mana. I took an immediate loss and exchanged both to Gamestop. I then stopped buying console games for a long time.

>bought Unlimited SaGa
>zoomer
he'd have to have bought it at like age fucking 3 for him to be Gen Z

Do not reply to shitposters.
We're on Yea Forums after all.

Attached: emelia.jpg (800x600, 175K)

Calling him a zoomer doesn't change the fact that Saga is shit.

When a man asks for help you help him.

Ditto, I'd rather use Bunny or Dancer, but Annie's spark talent is shit.

i won't hate on you because unlimited is the worst possible introduction you could ever have to this series. the rest of the series isn't that obtuse. try romancing saga 2 if you ever want to give it another chance.

Anyone too much of a pleb for Unlimited is a zoomer. Plain and simple.

Attached: Unlimited SaGa Triple Zero Combo.webm (600x450, 2.58M)

just call him a pleb, don't be like your parents complaining about millennials

>That moment when you fight Phantom and realize the game is reverse FF2

Attached: 1565560897157.jpg (225x225, 4K)

OP here. Yeah no doubt I was filtered alright, lol. I can admit that. Maybe there is some hidden genius design to Unlimited Saga but I never found it. I'd actually rather play train simulators all day than touch another Saga game.

>complaining about anime on a fucking anime site
>ON FUCKING Yea Forums
neck yourself normalfag

>I'd actually rather play train simulators all day than touch another Saga game.

I don't know how that's a problem, train sims are fucking great. Post your throttle setup.

Attached: animesite.png (1956x2194, 3.03M)

baka

>Maybe there is some hidden genius design to Unlimited Saga but I never found it.
Maybe if you actually searched for it you'd find it, but you gave up.

Attached: Dante's pearls of wisdom.jpg (538x221, 22K)

gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/561939-unlimited-saga/faqs/39002

Dodge Rock

haha! now i can't get stoned to death!

>OP here.

wh-why do people do this, I'm OP and I never played Unlimited Saga

Actually wrong

XCX is fucking amazing, but XC1 is good.

Attached: Alex Kills Man.webm (1280x720, 2.75M)

To be honest, Mikiri were kind of overpowered, it's no wonder they were slowly phased out in favour of automated counters.
Still cool when you got something as strong as evade tail sweep though, the biggest fuck you to Dragon Rulers.

It might be worth trying some of the other games even if you disliked Unlimited. I couldn't get into Unlimited because I absolutely hate slot reels as a mechanic, but several other SaGa entries are amongst my favorite games in the genre.

shit, why am i finding out now about a SaGa gatcha?

why can't we have this in english!
fuck!

Re:UniverSe?
Strange you found out so late, it's been printing money since release, so much in fact that it received a company award for being such a goldmine.
>why can't we have this in english!
Because even though Kawazu loves us, the west hates him and SaGa.

Attached: Emilia+Ren_ReuniverSe.gif (430x600, 3.92M)

more like Square Enix hates him and SaGa

this webm keeps getting posted can I get a quick rundown of why this is important?

fuck these are cute as shit
it makes me sad as shit we won't officially get it, even worse when they are trusting us with RS3 in english.

do we know how much RS2 sold? i bought it like 4 times.

Not anymore, SaGa's making them too much money for them to ignore it, we're definitely out of the dark ages for the series.
A bit late given Kawazu's age and the fact that a part of the team went their way to create their own SaGa games, but better late than never.

Attached: ReUniverSe-booze.webm (430x600, 1.48M)

squeenix literally took time out of their e3 presentation to promote saga this year. they're also finally bringing romancing saga 3 and scarlet grace to the west. the idea that they hate the series isn't accurate anymore.

>do we know how much RS2 sold?
The game was digital only, so unless Square releases some sales figures we'll never know.
Back in 2016 they said it sold 200K on Vita alone, and Squenix execs said the general performance was well above expectations, Scarlet Grace probably got similar figures considering it broke 100K in the first two weeks iirc.

I'd say it sold good, the fact that RS3 got the same treatment is proof of that.

Most of the hate for it came from Wada, coupled with his exacerbation of Sakaguchi's previous "FF first" policy that brought the company to its knees not once but twice.
Now that Wada's no more and the series proved it still has a strong audience waiting for the series to be properly revitalized, there's no excuses.

Now, if old Square's management weren't that garbage to have killed the series in the west since its inception, we'd probably be in a much better situation too, but that's something for another time I guess.

I know it wasn't as good of a game as the first SF, but not even a mention of 2? The story was really fun and it had one of my favorite protags ever

Attached: SF2 gustave.jpg (350x447, 44K)

>I know it wasn't as good of a game as the first SF
It's better.

SF2 is good as well.

Attached: CaDWTmDUcAAS8R1.jpg orig.jpg (600x849, 82K)

>I know it wasn't as good of a game as the first SF

Says who? They're both great for their own reason.

We mentioned 2 plenty in this thread.
It's also just as good as Frontier 1 really, it's just a different game that does things differently, both have their strengths and weaknesses, given how they have little in common outside of some common rules for battles/character building it's hard to compare them, SF2 has more in common with RS2 than it does with SF1.
youtube.com/watch?v=DWvEsYnPojE

Attached: D3pCCLZUYAE_taW.jpg (750x1060, 82K)

It’s different. I liked the region aesthetic of 1, as well as the mix of monsters and robots and humans and transgenders.

2 is just a different animal systematically and tonally. I enjoy it, just not as much, also because it splits more from the anthology feel of the series and veers towards a singular story (yes I know it’s two technically, they are bookends.)

youtube.com/watch?v=uzJVCWRvujY

Attached: LOVAGUSTAVE2.jpg (1430x974, 1.03M)

>LocomotionG

Attached: 39d[1].jpg (640x671, 97K)

Being a more focused and dramatic story is Frontier 2's biggest strength, together with its beautiful graphics.
It's strange to have a SaGa game focused on storytelling, but that's also what makes Frontier 2 all the more interesting, especially because it kept SaGa's usual style of fragmented narrative applied to a very interesting and moving story.
No doubt Hamauzu's stellar soundtrack did a lot for the game too, the heavy use of leitmotiv and the distinct european atmosphere of the game is truly something special.

Attached: CBcmxQZUkAAY3hO.jpg (500x500, 64K)

Shit literally plays in my head from time to time to this day. I don't think there's ever been an rpg with a better battle theme than SF2

They're straight up better than dq in every conceivable way

youtube.com/watch?v=LTj4n0L9Uh0

i don't like this idea
i wouldn't want my SaGa characters to suffer in some shitty moba or card game, only in gatcha dammit

Feldschlacht and its variations are great stuff, not to mention the other battle themes.
youtube.com/watch?v=tPv2Ely79lI
I personally prefer Unlimited's battle theme when it comes to Hamauzu, as for Ito, it's hard to make comparisons since they're different styles and I really love all of his stuff.

I hope Hamauzu keeps working with Koizumi too if he doesn't return for another SaGa, it would be really fitting and he's done a great job with both Legend of Legacy and Alliance Alive.

youtube.com/watch?v=pEkppaI3LFM

Attached: .gif (200x199, 442K)

hearing this hurts a good amount as my friend from highschool and me played through SF1 and 2 co-op back in the 90s. he was the only friend i had who also played a lot of RPGs and we picked up SF1 because it was a Square game and it wasn't FF, but it had to be good because Square was on the box.

and we had so many emotions for SF2, holy shit we just broke down when Gustave died, talking about it during school the next day.

Lord of Vermilion historically had multiple playable SaGa characters or bosses since the very first game, it's a tradition, since it's basically Square's very own crossover franchise where anything goes I don't see any problems with that.

Attached: LOVre3Alkaiser.jpg (1280x720, 200K)

>holy shit we just broke down when Gustave died
Didn't we all?
>tfw you begin to slowly recognize bits and pieces of his theme in the last boss themes
>tfw Gustaf destroys the egg with Gustave's sword and it breaks
>tfw you realize Gustave's theme in the last boss theme is there to tell you how he's still fighting together with you after his death by proxy of Gustaf wielding his sword
If this isn't Kino I don't know what is

Attached: SF2.jpg (478x470, 183K)

>using banners as a sign of non anime
Really now? Go back to facebook and stay there,
fucking normalfag.

Attached: chinese banners.jpg (1838x4337, 1.55M)

dragon quest is jank now? it is literally the basic bitch gameplay of jrpgs, thats why i love it.

I'm honestly surprised Yea Forums has so many banners compared to other boards

What's jank about Dragon Quest? Go on, we're listening.

Are the Regions in Frontier basically like the worlds in SaGa II? That is, "islands" in a huge space...actually kinda like Flash Gordon, circa 1980?

Yeah. Somewhat. They're basically different "places"

Attached: 9657586.jpg (800x600, 251K)

this

they are like a small universe with Blue having the easiest time traversing them with his map.

Until this very moment I thought it was Solja frontier

Attached: FF1033E2-5FFB-47FC-A1A1-25C0F703C446.gif (300x262, 1.84M)

So that Bright light in the center is their sun?

Soulja Boy's next gaming endeavor

>Phoneposter

Tablet, actually

still mobile.

Jesus. The guy just fucking melted through reality.

SaGa is a mobile franchise now

>korean zombie desk car

the tears of hilarity and nostalgia

WATCH ME CRANK THAT SOULJA BOY AND ALKAISER THAT HO