Pleasantly surprised thread

what games did you get on a whim and actually really end up enjoying?

Attached: Rain World.jpg (600x800, 107K)

Definitely not that one. I got SanctuaryRPG black edition on a whim and liked it. Templar Battleforce too.

I didn't pick it up on a whim, but I wasn't expecting Rain World to become my favorite game of all time and it did.

After Yea Forums kept saying it was one of the worst games ever made, I was pretty pleased with it.

Attached: H2x1_NSwitchDS_Celeste_image1600w.jpg (1600x800, 219K)

Hollow Knight. I just randomly saw it on GoG and decided to buy it, as I hadn't had a good metroidvania in years.
THAT game, on the other hand, I knew I was gonna love well before I bought it.

on the other hand, this I knew I was gonna like it, but I didn't know it was gonna instantly push HK off the GOTY throne with its massive penis and then make it into my top five games of all time

Pixel piracy. Sounded like trash indie pixel game but turned out it's starbound with pirats where you can build your own ship and crew. I was worth the cents.

The fuck is this, the pretentious Journo-darling indie thread?

Explain to me, in detail, how any of these games are pretentious.

Because I perceive them that way retard.

>Rain World
>journo-darling indie
Game was panned and ignored because journos are retards and it's a game about figuring things out for yourself. I think there's some shitty article from the usual suspects whining that Rain World "didn't give them the tools they needed to succeed," succinctly demonstrating that they could not have missed the point any harder.

When I started getting into Survival Horror games, I got this game after playing 1, and didn't expect a whole lot from it. It became my third favorite game of all time, with DKC at number 2, and MGS3 at number 1.

Attached: Silent Hill 2.jpg (220x317, 25K)

That game sounded just right for me, but for some reason I couldn't stand the aesthetic nor the combat.

Same thing happened with Pixel Privateers. I usually love managing squads and stuff in games, but the sheer amount of shit to handle was overwhelming. Maybe I'm just a brainlet.

I got Titanfall 2 last year as a gift and I thought the campaign was going to be an afterthought but I was really surprised by the ideas and especially the level design

I got Sin and Punishment 2 pretty much on a whim and I love the shit out of that, most other things I tend to think about a bit more. I just heard it was good, saw it was cheap as shit and got it.

Finished it in one sitting. Not that it was very hard though

Attached: Transistor.png (1600x800, 1.64M)

I always liked wacky kart racing games, but hated any 'realistic' racing game. Never thought that Mario Kart with realistic cars and stages was just the thing I wanted.

The best part is that all of my friends loved it too, we had hundreds of hours of fun playing against each other or just watching one of us play while the others talked shit from behind.

Attached: BLUR.jpg (1920x1080, 329K)

Attached: journo-darling.png (666x304, 37K)

You just posted it. I completed the game yesterday after getting it in this summer sale after some user recommended me this gem. Holy shit, what a trip it was, it's been ages since I enjoyed a game this much, like way back on Christmas 2004 when I played Half-Life 2 for the first time. Whoever that user was in that steam summer sale thread I'm eternally thankful.
Still, I'm baffled on how mistreated and ignored Rain World got, when I checked the official critics scores after I finished the game out of curiosity I got really surprised and even a bit mad after reading the complete review points. Is such a shame this game didn't get the light it deserved.

Attached: 1543303177237.jpg (445x1067, 55K)

>I got really surprised and even a bit mad after reading the complete review points
Same. It's like the Tropical Freeze review, except it's literally every review the game got.

You've sold me on Rainworld. I'll give it a look.

The ironic thing is, if you actually read the reviews you'll notice everything they complain about is something cool which'd be really fun to play. It's what convinced me to buy it, personally.

You should get the game, but you shouldn't buy games just because journalists hate them. That would imply that journalists' opinions have some kind of correlation, positive or negative, with whether or not a game is good, and that clearly isn't the case.

what the fuck is this game even about? I watched a video and it looks incredibly god damn boring

You can often tell a game is interesting when the user score is way higher than the critic score. Same with movies. Users may be retards, but they're considerably less retarded than the critics.

evidently it's not for you

i'm just trying to understand what the hell this game is about or what you're doing. So far as I can tell you run past enemies, crawl through tunnels and hibernate?

Girl's Last Tour and Tokio Jungle love child, basically.

Attached: slugcat's ancestor.gif (366x245, 224K)

Hollow Knight

Don't assume I'm so naive. I'm only going to pirate it at best.

Attached: BM0.jpg (1920x1080, 490K)

this

You can take or leave the story but the gameplay is solid, a truly excellent, platformer particularly if you like a challenge and do all the extra levels.