3 years after the release date and people still didn't know that Wii U console is NOT the same as Wii console

>3 years after the release date and people still didn't know that Wii U console is NOT the same as Wii console

I still can't fucking believe that they did such terrible, disastrous marketing mistakes

they fucking killed it with the first (E3) presentation

what were they thinking?

Attached: 230309.png (1054x704, 717K)

they were thinking the general public wasnt retarded

The Wii U's failure (and the success of identical games ported to the Switch) are a case study in the importance of marketing. Good games don't sell. Well marketed products sell. Quality is no longer the factor in choosing a product. There are more good games that exist than you'd have time to play them in your entire life. In order to move units you need to market.

>the one time corporations respected people's intelligence

People not interested in video games don't have time to keep up with Nintendo's fucking retarded decisions.

Should have seen how many returns I had to do at GameStop because little Jimmy couldn't play Mario Kart 8 on his old Wii and the mom was convinced that it was a defective game.

A case example that good marketing is sometimes necessary for a business.

>nintendo doesnt have time to keep up with people too stupid to read

Oh please we all know that casual fuckers are dumb as bricks. They need to be spoonfed everything. And this is where marketing comes.

I remember being in at a Walmart and overheard a lady buy a copy super Mario bros u around the time of the Wiius launch
She was arguing with the cashier because she wondered why there was a U next to the wii logo. The cashier told him that it was for the new Wii U, but she assumed it was just a tablet for the Wii. She kept yelling at him because she didn’t want to waste so much money on a tablet to play a game for the wii and the cashier kept trying to explain it to her.
She just bought the game and told him that she’ll contact his manager for trying to rip her off and left. Idk what happened afterwards but the dude still worked at Walmart afterwards

>wii u fags were right the whole time, it took the switch porting everything to prove it
>mk8 is still #1 best selling game on both wii u and switch

People buying a gift for someone shouldn't have to do so much research into what they've been asked for. It was a dumb name. I have a Wii U and I think it was a good console, but the Switch's success is owed to the superior name and marketing, and doing exactly what it looks like it's supposed to do.

Ive worked electronics dept at target and people really are that stupid and rude

Don't fucking act like people aren't uninformed about video games, especially boomers.

>do much research
>huh, the name is different
>*google wiiU*
>oh, its a different console

Cowabunga?!? More like Cowafuckingpieceofdogshit

>Implying casuals would put this much effort
kek

That poor kid

half of society probably thought nintendo died after the wii for 6 years and came back to life with the switch
ala commodore with the pet phone

remember E3? it was all about the controller, not a single word about the console itself

even journalists thought that it is an add on

THE FUCK

Attached: 32906.png (1069x725, 570K)

The fact that the word Wii is the same color and font of the OG Wii doesnt help either.

>3 years after the release date and people still didn't know that Wii U console is NOT the same as Wii console
These people are retarded.

Even Nintendo promotes race mixing these days. I thought they were apolitical.

Parents are uninformed idiots yes.

Arm and leg for 47$
Thats cheap af

They always did this kind of stuff, expecially NOA. Are you new to gaming by any chance?

I honestly think there was some sort of push to try and cause this confusion by negative shills. There were actually a ton of "IT'S JUST A CONTROLLER LMAO" posts on Yea Forums the following weeks after the announcement of it, so just imagine how other forums and website were

Part of it is that most of humanity is simply dumb as fucking bricks. The other part of it is the shitty branding and non-existent advertising, probably due to arrogance.

The same thing happened with the 3ds. People just thought it was an upgrade of the ds like the dsi. Didn’t help how the 3ds was released a few months after the dsixl. I think that’s why it sold like shit it’s first year.

Attached: EB074517-7DDE-4803-A2B4-CEEF25305B43.png (300x272, 89K)

Remember when people bought Mario Party thinking it was Mario Party 3? Good times.

Surely it couldn't have been because of the price tag and NOGAEMS.

why not just call it Wii 2

Attached: 1438220419995.png (394x346, 171K)

honestly it's codename "cafe" would've sold more units just from being less associated with the wii

My aunt refused to buy my little cousins a 3ds for like 2 years because she thought it was just a ds with a 3D gimmick kinda like 3D TVs at the time.

>I think that’s why it sold like shit it’s first year.
Nah the first year or so was rough. It didnt have much ( you know the time of those[Insert series' name] 3D game).
Also it was overpriced compared to what the Vita could do.

I remember watching that e3, being hyped as fuck, then becoming extremely confused because every gaming news site tried to convince me it was an add-on. It’s like these people are paid to be stupid.

Because you can't make clever puns and pat yourself on the back for being a marketing genius with a basic name like that.

The code name is almost always more interesting, but marketing firms need an excuse to be paid money so it never sticks.

Your aunt wasn't really wrong.

Attached: 123981281019.jpg (1285x373, 74K)

i still remember when we analysed the presentation
for a second you could see the console and everyone went "nah its too small its gotta be bigger"

wtf
Are WiiU games getting rare now?

how would gaming news sites know better though? did you see the reveal? Nintendo didn't act like it was a new console at all

people really acting like WiiU and 3DS were good names?
It's not about respecting people's intelligence.
Nintendo's target audience is children; parents who don't know anything about videogames buy this shit for them.
Nintendo made these products sound like they were extensions, new versions or peripherals.

check amazon

Attached: it's the fucking most common model.png (691x225, 107K)

Nintendo thought that as long as they put out good games in popular franchises people would buy their console, and they had a lot of great games planned. Wii u had botw, Mario 3d world, splatoon, Mario kart 8, pikmin and donkey Kong. It also had a luigis mansion and animal crossing game planned which it would have gotten if it sold better. What they didn't count on was that the truth is no one cares about the quality of a product anymore they care about how cool and fashionable they think it makes them look and the Wii u looked like a lame kids toy.

That sounds like a real pain in the ass.
I'm glad I worked there after the Switch came out and all Wii U games were moved to a shelf in the very back facing the wall.

That'snot true, the wii u looked like a peripheral for the wii. People didnt even understand that it was a new console

Wtf I bought one for like 80 bucks at a pawn shop a while back to play games I missed

>New
>Amazon
Fuck that. Just get a used one with the gamepad.

I was busy with university shit at the time when the Wii U came out so I wasn't really paying attention to vidya news, and I had to google it to get a straight answer as to whether it was an actual console or another gimmick peripheral for the Wii

>that grammar
>calls $47 an "arm and a leg"
Hmmm.

Dude people are notoriously fucking retarded.
Without a doubt

If they named the WiiU say
The New Famicom it would’ve sold much better as the Nintendo-Senpai

you can buy a used one for less $100
who cares about NIB

>have launch 32 gig black Wii U that is in great condition
>the day they discontinued the Wii U, nabbed an official refurb 32 gig white Wii U directly from Nintendo as a backup
I can play Wii U games until I die.

Have fun with your nigger-pubes and roaches.

Anything can be political if you're a retard user.

>Quality is no longer the factor in choosing a product

Was it ever?

This. Just call it, I don't know, "Extramee!" or something.

>especially zoomers*
And their parents.

>The same thing happened with the 3ds
Not really. The 3D effect caused a lot of memes and since the retrocompatibility was a thing, the 3 being on red color and the main gimmick on the console, they actually make the difference. It has not so much games at the start,

>Good games don't sell. Well marketed products sell.

wrong, faggot
everyone knows a mario or zelda will sell, those are GENERALLY new 1st time out titles like BotW and Odyssey, not shit like wii u.

look at how many people bought the "PORT" of MK8D, a game with all the dlc AND new shit, its a POOOOOOOOOOOOORT, right faggot?

fuck you
fuck you all, you don't fucking get ANYTHING

the gamepad dying is gonna be the biggest problem with that system in another 20-30 years. its NEEDED to even start the damn thing and do menu options.

reminder that 3d world is the best 3d mario game.

Even as a giant Nintendofag, I was confused. They show the actual console for like half a second.

No, fuck YOU, i don't owe you anything. Go kill yourself, nigger

Nope, but let me pretend otherwise because '90'S GOOD, CURRENT YEAR BAD

Yeah, I watched the E3 with some friends and everyone thought it was a tablet for the Wii.

No fucking idea what was Nintendo thinking but oh well

Add on that the fact that the Wii already had many accesories named "Wii SOMETHING", so the Wii U sounded exactly like another of those.

To be fair this person is completely illiterate.

It released in spring of 2011, and didn't have any games worth playing until winter.
It also had a price cut in the fall.

I dig Nintendo's games so I keep up to date with them, and even as I was confused as to what this was.

Would have sold like hotcakes if the Wii U Gamepad also doubled as an actual tablet since parents all buy their kids tablets to watch their shitty baby youtube videos these days

I'm on the clock at one right now and Ive had it happen to me. It's my experience that the people who bitch the most also aren't big spenders. I like to fuck with them.
Also, fuck Nintendo for the 2ds/3ds confusion. I thought the YouTubers who made a deal about it years ago were full of shit. Goddamn was I wrong. I had some lady return a 2ds because she thought games only came out for the 3ds.

In Japanese it would be called the "Wii Ni"

cute

If I saw that box, and hadn't been keeping up to date with video game hardware, I would absolutely have assumed it was a Wii game. That shape to the right of "Wii" isn't even really a "U". It kind of looks like something in a box. Maybe it means it needs to be installed? Maybe it's just their new logo? Maybe it indicates support for online play or some random peripheral?

Nobody confused the 360 with the OG xbox, or bought PS3 games expecting them to work in a PS2. Nintendo absolutely fucked up here, especially since it's a kid-focused console where the people buying games aren't usually the ones who will play them.

I’m surprised there was never really a dedicated drawing app on the Wii U. I can see artists using it and sharing their art on the internet. The 3ds had one thought.

Attached: 7F1A05B7-1AF0-4FAF-83E3-0C575E9B0E8D.jpg (717x732, 164K)

Honestly, the name is what killed it. People probably confused it with the tablet peripheral THQ was making around the same time.

No shit, Call of Duty and Pokemon are always the consistently best selling titles and they are the most soulless corporate driven products I have ever seen in my life. Meanwhile great games like Dragon Quest 11 get completely ignored not because it's a great game, because it had no marketing. DQ is only getting attention now because SE and Nintendo are marketing the fuck out of the game by having huge segments in Nintendo directs and E3 and a Smash character, but no one gave a shit about it a year ago when it came out of steam and PS4. Anyone who says otherwise is a retard.

It had youtube and drawing apps.

You really couldn't think of a better example to use than Dragon Quest 500?

Well that person is obviously black. What do you expect?

Everyone knew what the 3DS was when it was first revealed. They showed off the new handheld and then revealed a shit ton of games that people didn't think were possible on it. MGS3, Street Fighter 4, Kingdom Hearts, Paper Mario, it was made of dreams at the time. And they demoed it using a team of model booth babes on the show floor. People ate that shit up.

So Iwata thought he could get away with pricing the system at $250. And everything came crashing down on him. Hence the price cut and the classy 3DS ambassador compensation.

Bringing /pol/shit to the thread
Sasuga Yea Forums

Fuck off, pic related have more soul than any other DS game.

Attached: images (1).jpg (585x524, 80K)

My step-sister was confused about this shit as well until just a few months ago when she was asking me about new vidya for her kid. Whoever named and marketed this thing was a colossal idiot.

they should have known the general public was retarded when they sold 100 million wiis.

The audience of the Wii doesnt care about Nintendo consoles and games let alone gaming in general. For them it was just a toy that ran on motion control fad. Stuff like Wii Sports and whatever. Those people wouldnt buy a home console like a PS3 or Xbox 360.

They should have fixed that shit at E3, the entire crowd was confused at what it was.
Either they should have dumped a ton of money into advertising it properly or changed the name which they did neither

You retards blaming every thing on pol boogeyman is hilarious. You and I both know that bitch is black.

The reason mystery dungeon has soul is because game freak didn't make it.

Didnt know you could see the race of the guy behind the post.. Yea Forums has some interesting individuals alright.

>Whoever named and marketed this thing was a colossal idiot.
For what it's worth, that colossal idiot probably got fired. Nintendo completely overhauled their marketing division for the Switch and it shows.

It’s not my fault your mother is genetically pre disposed to buying a game for the wrong console Tyrone.

Then again the name "Switch" doesnt sound like the word "Wii". You dont need huge marketing $$$ to get that point across.

>474138220
Not going to even bother shitposter.