Silent Hill 2

Is Maria real? If not, what exactly happens in the Maria ending? James is leaving the town alone?

Attached: images - 2019-08-14T151308.255.jpg (739x415, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE
widescreenfix.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/
youtu.be/fFVwI487ORo
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc
youtube.com/watch?v=cDEHuzeOr9M&list=PL87676CF7D0B816B4&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=lAnXnIYqU44
youtu.be/XxAjQ4JxEyI?t=1572
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have always wondered about this too.

I reckon James's thirst fully manifests her.

But how does a creation of Silent Hill go beyond its bounds?

Yo, can someone explain SH story to me? I never got it.

She is just as real as Lisa was. As in, physical and self-aware, but not from this world. A 3D mental projection, that is either going to die out (as evident by the cough), or drag Jimbo further down the rabbit hole of his own psyche.

You're asking for an insane task.
Go replay the OG trilogy. They are pretty straight forward. Pay attention to what people and various notes say.

Failing that, just go watch The Real Silent Hill Experience videos on YT.

>Go replay the OG trilogy.
I would if my computer didn't break down.

>I would if my computer didn't break down.
So how are you shitposting right now exactly?
If you say "phone", I swear...

Still, you saying that you cannot find a 100 bucks' wormbox to use until you get your old rig fixed? You don't own a PS2?

Same way baby Heather does, I guess.

Pretty sure she's not. When he "leaves" with her, he's really just going through the whole thing with Mary again so I think he basically traps himself in an endless cycle of obsession/self-punishment

>So how are you shitposting right now exactly?
raspberry pi.
>Still, you saying that you cannot find a 100 bucks' wormbox to use until you get your old rig fixed?
I think the whole thing went down, which means 450 bucks of repair. I'm a cheap bitch.

Go snatch a 99 dollar office HP desktop with a 2nd gen Intel-i3 or better + fair amount of RAM. Slap in your current GPU, or grab a 30 bucks' 750ti or better.
Bam - you got a fair gaymin' PC, that not only aces running the SH PC ports, but also can still 1080p/60fps a huge bucketload of games today.

In theory no.
There's a theory, that the developers said it's somewhat close, that Silent Hill is a manifestation of a personal penitence and that's why diferent characters see different monsters.
So Maria has the chance of being James' absolution (forgetting about his wife and move on with his representation of desire). Maria doesn't really seem like an actual resident of SH and I don't think there's any other character that confirms her existence to James.

>But how does a creation of Silent Hill go beyond its bounds?
In SH3 and SH4: The Room Silent Hill reaches beyond the town. Quite far away actually. Also the "baits" always went far too in SH1 and 2.

Dumbing it down, and considering I've read a lot about long ago so I might have some holes, it's a town that praised some pagan gods and connected the town with another world. They somewhat opened a gate and it manifested bonding both dimensions. People related to that town were lured back in to face their inner demons and feed the old gods with their torment.

maria was a real stripper. you can see her poster in the first bathroom before actually going into silent hill. unless he manifests that too

his maria is based off that poster, his wife, their similarities and his desires. then i think she actually becomes a real person in some endings. “born from a wish”

I liked the original game's take the most. Basically all the pagan stuff is just made-up crap brought on by local hallucinogenic plants, but then one day one of the cultists happens to accidentally end up with an actual supernatural/psychic child who makes all the cult stuff real because that's all she knew growing up.

>it's a town that praised some pagan gods and connected the town with another world. They somewhat opened a gate and it manifested bonding both dimensions
Wrong on all items practically.
Gonna spoiler-tag this rant, just in case:
There are no "other dimensions", no (real deal) "gods" or "demons". Just OUR world, being altered in real time, though sometimes even enabling creation of pocket realities that mirror IRL locations.
Some sort of psyche-effecting "power" does reside within SH's area, and natives did know how to utilize it. Later on the pioneers came in and started adopting that shit on top of Christianity, because hey - it actually works!
Later on, a real deal witch capable of making things happen w/ her mind was born, and a certain nutcase extremist of the local religion decided to use that in order to kickstart the apocalypse, wishfully hoping it to clean out "sinners" and take her & her loyal followers to "paradise". Shit only half worked, and together with the even being snuffed out from multiple fronts, it clearly "cracked" the town's powah, leaving it to run amock. Sort of act as if on auto-pilot.

So the cult is just bollocks then? All rituals are for nothing really? It's just some psychovoodoo stuff? What's the explanation for the over reach in later games then, do old residents of SH act as a beacon or something? I must've missed where they explain all that stuff, I remember the books you find in SH2 mostly and the theories that were online about SH1 that were later expanded in SH3

>So the cult is just bollocks then?
Nope. Like said, it's mostly Christianity, with some spice.
And since SOME of the shit worked, it actually got some speed under its wings.
Shady drug trafficking biz was just a cream on the top for the few more earth-ly members.

>All rituals are for nothing really?
Many of the shown rituals did work, so I would not say that.
Not everyone was on-par with Dahlia, not to mention Alessa
, when it comes to powers.

>What's the explanation for the over reach in later games then?
Have you played the games yet?
Heather is literally Alessa reborn, with the implanted demon/god still playing tricks on her when awakened.
SH4 was all about a "Plan B" of the Alessa project going out of his way to create his own personal bubble reality where he could live forever + torment other people through "dreams".

SH2 does not dive too deep into these matters, but contrary to the nowadays common, shallow believes, the game is actually filled with evidence that not only tie it to rest of the series' lore, but also proof the mental-projection theories right. Even going out of its way to state that there are no "other worlds", per se, but you can still end up sucked into these "places" that are very close, yet very far.

Attached: sh1 dahlia balkan church.jpg (1600x1200, 214K)

The Maria ending is meant to show that James has learned nothing from his time in Silent Hill. He is doomed to repeat the cycle as Maria falls prey to the same illness and suffering that did for Mary. Instead he has chosen the familiar comfort of a stand in whose very existence seems to absolve him of some of his guilt.

Well I understand some of the stuff "worked" and that Heather was Alessa reborn and all but since you said the demons/gods are not the real deal I assumed they're just projections then. Something like Freddy Kruegger?.
I guess I'm a little bit lost because it's been years. It's a good excuse to revisit the saga again. Thanks for taking the time.

>the demons/gods are not the real deal I assumed they're just projections then
Having faith and making things come true do not null each other. If our IRL Pope can decide that Big Bang equals proving God's existence, then it's not too far fetched to conclude that a fictional, heavily Christianity-based religion would write off anything they can as the proof of their god's existence. It is extremely important to remember that "teh cult" was not some devil worshipping club.

>It's a good excuse to revisit the saga again. Thanks for taking the time.
NP mate!
Speaking of re-visiting the SH series, this thread severely lacks the latest SH PC Guide + DL links :

SH1 NTSC DDL:
mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

>SH2 PC fixes site:
widescreenfix.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/
>SH2:EE install tutorial:
youtu.be/fFVwI487ORo

SH3 DDL:
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
DON'T use W10's own virtual disc app! It will not work.
Don't install under C:\Program Files\ ! This will cause issues.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate using ePSXe or PCSX-R.

Follow the SH2 widescreen fix site's instructions to the teeth, and you should be fine.
For 3 & 4, check the Guide.

>Protips
-Play in the release order.
-Never play below Normal difficulty!
-Replaying them all is recommended.
-Turn down the ingame Brightness setting.
-Don't try to kill everything that moves, especially outdoors. Leg it, or sneak!
-Turning OFF the flashlight can really help w/ stealth!

Attached: SH PC Guide 1st MAY 2019 v2,3.png (1281x5183, 1.92M)

Cult sells drugs and shit, dead Indians get super pissed, spooky little girl, shits locked yo

Silent Hill 1 is still the best of the series to be honest here.

I unironically agree, 100%.
It is perfectly paced, the intro phase is terrifying and kino, there's delightful amount of variety in the environment's and enemy types, it's decently challenging throughout the whole game, and spooky AF. Lots and lots of replay value to boot.

Attached: SH1 -Darkie.jpg (2540x1429, 382K)

Okay, here is the best and most correct answer in the thread:

YES, she is real. But she was created by the town. She's not a hallucination or any shit like that. She physically exists, and she even experiences thoughts and feelings. But the town manifested her into existence. She was "born from a wish" -- James' wish to see Mary.

Also, pic related.

Watch through this documentary: youtube.com/watch?v=cDEHuzeOr9M&list=PL87676CF7D0B816B4&index=1

Attached: 10_years_of_silent_hill_2_by_zerachielamora_d49tnbq.png (1300x795, 1.62M)

Attached: 1561211206372.gif (460x348, 481K)

> People believe Silent Hill 2 is literal more than allegorical, just because 1 & 3 was

Attached: c3LoQPL.jpg (1300x683, 189K)

Can you play Born from a Wish on PC?

it doesn't make sense for her to be real, was PH real too? Can those creatures leave town following James? i think they're just illusions. That's why born from a wish doesnt make any sense to me.

Was Heather real?

Yes. It is part of the Director's Cut edition, which is exactly what provides.

>i think they're just illusions
No, they are not "just illusions".
They are physical mental projections. Very "real", but within only at the person's immediate surrounding and mind-state.

>That's why born from a wish doesnt make any sense to me.
Did SH1 not make any sense to you too ?

Of course she was.

Attached: sh2 PC Born From A Wish scenario - Maria.jpg (1920x1200, 330K)

I was obliquely making your point:

>Did SH1 not make any sense to you too ?

So you did not understand SH1 ?
Eventhough it is surprisingly similar to SH2, just with different perspective on the events?

Are you retarded?

>They are physical mental projections. Very "real", but within only at the person's immediate surrounding and mind-state
yeah, that's what i call just illusions.

>Did SH1 not make any sense to you too ?
BftW doesn't make sense to me, cause i'm playing as being that can't exist without James, she can't get hurt, she can't die.
In silent hill 1 everything is fine, except that moment when Cheryl is still calling out for Harry, even after she already united with Alessa.

>yeah, that's what i call just illusions.
Illusions don't kill people.
Illusions don't move people around on a physical plane.
Illusions do not create creatures of flesh and blood that can interact with the world.

>cause i'm playing as being that can't exist without James,
True, to a degree. Good thing James is already there.
>she can't get hurt, she can't die.
False.

>In silent hill 1 everything is fine, except that moment when Cheryl is still calling out for Harry
so did the Lisa's sub-plot fly over your head?

>Illusions don't kill people.
i don't think they killed anybody in sh2.
>Illusions do not create creatures of flesh and blood that can interact with the world.
When did that happen?

>True, to a degree. Good thing James is already there.
no, he wasn't there.
>False.
youtube.com/watch?v=lAnXnIYqU44

>so did the Lisa's sub-plot fly over your head?
What she had to do with the thing i sad?

Yes.

PH is physically real, but he wasn't walking around in town before James came -- before James arrived he did not exist -- the town created PH after James came, and created him specifically for James. PH probably wouldn't and couldn't leave the town. For PH to exist, PH needs both James and the town.

Something which looked similar to PH may have existed in the towns past and "the town" may be basing the PH design based off of that (there's a painting of PH in the Historical Society building), but that's a different matter.

In SH2, you can also argue that it's not just "the town" itself that's doing something TO people, like James... but that it is James himself who creates both PH and Maria and THROUGH the power of the town; that James himself is the cause of what he experiences, and that the town just makes it all possible. Without him being in the town, it would all just be thoughts and feelings inside his head -- but when in the town, all the mental and emotional shit he's dealing with internally suddenly manifests externally and physically.

When her story begins, it must be at approximately the same time as James is looking at himself in the mirror, or a few minutes before that, like when he parked his car.

>PH is physically real, but he wasn't walking around in town before James came -- before James arrived he did not exist -- the town created PH after James came, and created him specifically for James. PH probably wouldn't and couldn't leave the town. For PH to exist, PH needs both James and the town.

Something which looked similar to PH may have existed in the towns past and "the town" may be basing the PH design based off of that (there's a painting of PH in the Historical Society building), but that's a different matter.

In SH2, you can also argue that it's not just "the town" itself that's doing something TO people, like James... but that it is James himself who creates both PH and Maria and THROUGH the power of the town; that James himself is the cause of what he experiences, and that the town just makes it all possible. Without him being in the town, it would all just be thoughts and feelings inside his head -- but when in the town, all the mental and emotional shit he's dealing with internally suddenly manifests externally and physically.

This is why I prefer the art-house psychological horror of the town of SH2 to the B-Movie cult gubbins etc. of 1 and 3.

>PH is physically real, but he wasn't walking around in town before James came -- before James arrived he did not exist -
well, if that makes any sense to you.

>there's a painting of PH in the Historical Society building
there is Mary's letter in your inventory.

they're there for James, cause James wanted them to be there, he wanted to see them and they can touch and hurt him, cause he allows them to. But they're not real, cause other people don't see them, just like Laura ignored Maria.

so? do you think piramid come to his senses too and started to forge his knife and head gear? That's silly.

Only you get to play as Maria and see her come to terms with her role. Random monsters don't need much of an introduction when they're not going to be main characters.

>head gear
That IS his head. He isn't wearing any head gear. The town created PH and his knife. After James fully realizes the truth, he doesn't need PH anymore and so PH kills itself/themselves.

>i don't think they killed anybody in sh2.
That is highly arguable.
You can die, and you go and kill a person with items provided by these "illusions".

>When did that happen?
in every single game.

>no, he wasn't there.
Maria was literally born the moment James stepped within the town's parameters. She got locked into her "role" when he finally got near the Park.

>What she had to do with the thing i sad?
The fact that SH has already been shown to be able to create very convincing living beings, that can indeed interact and reason with what one could call "reality". The series is, after all, all about our world being changed in front of our eyes.

>Random monsters don't need much of an introduction when they're not going to be main characters.
is pyramid a random monster now?

>Only you get to play as Maria and see her come to terms with her role.
yeah, we get to play as her, cause Sato left and Owaku didn't know what to do with the story, but bosses demanded from him to shit out something for pc release.

But anyway, when exactly did you see that moment when Maria "come to terms with her role."?

>But anyway, when exactly did you see that moment when Maria "come to terms with her role."?
at the very end of BfaW.
Tho', It's arguable whether it's "coming to terms", or "awakening" to its only purpose.

>But anyway, when exactly did you see that moment when Maria "come to terms with her role."?
Have you even played the damn thing?
It's in the ending, when Maria tries to kill herself, but then James steppes out of the apartment building, all of his thoughts focused on hoping to see Mary in the park, and Maria snaps.

Nah. It's aged now. I would still play the hell out of it but it's aged. Anyone who is introduced to this series with 1 will notice how clunky its controls can be at times, which doesn't really happen with 2 or 3 (so it's not just the fact that it uses tank controls). Its graphics aren't all that great either. And most importantly, 3 can at times be far more scary than 1 is.

don't be like that.

well, that's only means some of those items were real.

>in every single game.
Ok, in sh2?

>Maria was literally born the moment James stepped within the town's parameters. She got locked into her "role" when he finally got near the Park.
you don't know that.

>create very convincing living beings
so, they're not actually real?

youtu.be/XxAjQ4JxEyI?t=1572

Oh, you mean that moment? Is that what you call "come to terms with her role"? Btw, did you actually liked Last Jedi?

It still feels fine to play for me. I think it just has a more unique style from the hardware limitations too which works in its favor. Heather is too inconsistent as a character and enemy design is too annoying to put 3 over 1.

Bless you

no she's not real, she's a manifestation of the town created solely to punishes james and make him confront what he'd done, if he leaves with her she simply dies the same way mary did. the science/logic of the town creating an independent person who can exist outside of it is irrelevant because james canonically doesn't choose maria so there's no reason to try and rationalize it

PS in water is a dumb ending and if you like it you're an idiot

>there's delightful amount of variety in the...enemy types
Yeah this is one thing that makes me go back to replay SH1 the most, it just feels really good to play as a game IMO.

"Nowhere" will always have the best atmosphere to me too.

>created solely to punishes james
no, pyramid is created to punishes james, Maria just wants to suck his cock.