Dwarf fortress

Are you going to finally play it after it relases on steam user?

Attached: ss.png (1264x212, 27K)

The UI/UX is the only thing holding back Dwarf Fortress from being a genuine masterpiece. It's probably the most in depth game ever.

Gimme a goal for my next fortress, something crazy.

Attached: 1515496332754.jpg (238x281, 38K)

But I like the ascii at times, it's sometimes just easier than complex tilesets like Meph and shit

Attached: 1564788334424 1530786369287.jpg (236x236, 11K)

>ascii
>UI
retard

How the FUCK do I make a world with a volcano in it?

It's easily already one of my top 10 games of all time. I'll buy it on Steam just to support Tarn, but I didn't need more motivation to play it.

this

>tfw ended up starting over since I'm a newfag and couldn't figure out where all the fighting was happening from multiple mercenary dwarves and a human
>tfw learned afterwards I could just fucking follow them
God dammit, I haven't played in a few days but I want to learn the game since it's fun so far.

I need to get back to my playtroughts on normal, free versions

Attached: just 2 body parts.png (634x943, 68K)

>I'll buy it on Steam
Wait, is the Steam version gonna cost money? What kind of retard would pay money for a free game? Even if you want to support Toady then just give him a donation rather than let Gabe's sweaty mitts get a piece of the pie.

The Steam version will have actual humanly readable graphics. Also mouse support.

Maybe try monk fortress?
Different arkytypes you can follow are:
>Only wrestlers/elite wrestlers
>Attempt to amass knowledge and create a great library
>Self sustaining
It may be an idea to try follow a theme such as; Chrisian Monastic Church - eat mostly fish/export fine crafts, brew and honey
Or even jsaolin ( how the fuck do you spell that?) Way-of-the-Fist and a more martial training routine

Attached: IMG_20190227_113922.jpg (1080x1336, 159K)

Don't you mean tranny fortress? And fuck no i'm not playing your autism simulator

Personally I love to have those games, like ToME and Unreal World on my library

above ground fort

The UK is fine you brainlet

It's actually not. That whole Brexit thing was pretty bad for us.

Then pirate the Steam version and donate the cost of it to Toady's patreon.

Is honey even worth building around? It seems no one wants any of the exports you can make from beekeeping.
Amen.

Give me your best dorf tales.

Attached: dwarf_fortress.png (203x220, 680)

Why would that make any difference? Just go play it right now for free, fuckwit.
Steamdrones are fucking retarded, I swear to God.

I want to try it, but all these fucking memes are holding me back
Amen

Above ground huh?

Attached: That's going in the book.jpg (620x310, 35K)

Pretty much This dorf fortress ui its terrible
Also
In 5 days This game its going to be modable and finally df its going to reach its full potential

I will buy it on Steam or itch. First I'll check what will be the better offer for me.
After doing so I will continue playing the DRM free version.

I took the time and autism to memorize all commands so I dont need ui anymore, now games where I cant just press buttons to build thing and have to click menus make me feel bad

5 days?

It's pretty fun seeing your dorfs make a real town, only problems are that dorfs don't like living above ground and building shit takes a while

yes

the same way tearing off a bandaid is bad for you

When came out

>Toady said he would release the next update in 2-3 months and then would begin the "long wait" while he did myth and magic, which would take around 2~ years
>this was said nearly a year ago now
>still waiting for that first update
>the big wait will be """""""""TWO"""""""" years

classic toady, cant wait for myth and magic in 4 years and then have to wait another 10 after that for economy and boats to be implemented, if he doesnt die before then.

nothing is coming out in 5 days

No, i play Cata and i cant handle so much autism all at once.

you need to pay some fuckin price to enjoy the masterpiece

Wasnt it released on steam months ago?
Basically graphics were different

once I spent ages generating world after world for 1000 years until I made one with fully grown surviving dragons (dragons take 1000 years in game to grow to full size and become the largest creatures in the game after whales)
I had one massive female dragon in my world which after such a long history had become a Living God to many civilizations representing wealth, royalty, and power.

my goal was to make a fortress utterly devoted to her, and ultimately to capture her so she could rule from a towering crystal spire as God Queen.

building the spire took ages, my forts industry was built around the export of fine glassware so our factories had little issue making the mountains of glass blocks necessary to make the tower. our fortress was fabulously wealthy and at the peak of the tower was a temple dedicated to the mighty Dragon, who one day after lavishly ordaining every square inch of my fortress with fabulous luxuries decided we would be worth a visit by her majesty.

She incinerated 2/3rds of my military in the first battle, her size and age made even the might of my bravest dwarves seem woefully inadequate, even more so since they were tasked with capturing the Dragon alive rather than killing it, making their task all the more difficult.

eventually she was lured into the fortress labyrinth by a brave Ranger and was captured.
from then on came the arduous task of calming and pacifying the beast, it took almost as long as it had been since the Great Founding to finally calm her to our Dwarven ways and bind her to the bloodline of our Kings for all eternity.

from then on all enemies would tremble in terror and awe as our mighty God in the flesh would march out onto the battlefield and incinerate whole armies like matchsticks.

currently our fortress is expanding its dragon legions with lesser servants of Our Lady, blind squat cave dragons breeding in massive numbers make for excellent shock troops.

Attached: 1553041088396.webm (472x550, 168K)

record in gif for DF, comes out better and is a lower filesize often

What is coming out in 5 days?

How did you tame a dragon? Could you get an animal tamer to work with it before they get burnt to death?

Is Kruggsmash a good guide on the kinds of adventures and projects you can have if you put work into it?

I've tried it before
I made a fort out of WOOD
The elves were pissed

So?

Attached: 1544166071325.jpg (359x301, 14K)

>Dwarf Remote is iOS only
>Current number of days into reverse engineering for Android: 5

Nope.
The fanbase are still a bunch of soγboy faggots pushing the complete California narrative.
The fanbase will also give social respect and upvotes (or whatever) to shitty low-quality fortresses with obvious issues in efficiency.
When someone at least tries to police the community and fire back at low-skill gameplay, telling people to git gud and at least bloody try, the community thinks of that person as bad.
Sure, because wanting your community to improve and get better and have better-quality fortresses and discussions is obviously an evil act somehow.
It's probably related to the soγboy shit somehow, soγboys are allergic to the idea of getting high-quality people to build a high-quality nation and would rather flood the place with low-tier trashmobs.

Anyway, the game is good. But the community is shite. Far too much soγ shit and far too welcoming of incompetence.

A million years ago, when I was learning how to play.
I was having difficulty starting an underground farm, because I was stupid.
I had set my whole fort to be engraved and the engraver kept clearing all the soil from my farm.
Eventually I figured it out and my chief farmer finally got to sow his first field of crops.
Meanwhile, my militia captain got promoted to Hammerer, and his first act as Hammerer was to go to the chief farmer and break both his legs.
DORF FORT

Finally play?
Bruh.
I was just playing this game yesterday. An I'll probably play it some more later today once I get fully up and running.

it takes a long time and possibly a few trainers if they die too much
my Civ started with zero knowledge of Dragons so that all had to be built up from the bottom
eventually they can be trained but never domesticated.
training the Cave Dragons was difficult as well but at least you can breed them since they will spawn in the underground rather than with world gen

cave dragons take a long time to mature so my dragons are more like oversized attack dogs than proper dragons. still they pack a punch and I'm right near a tower so I get regular Necromancer attacks in addition to Goblin and Elf invasions (once a necromancer showed up during a Goblin siege and raised all the torn goblin bits as an even bigger undead army)
the Human kingdoms nearby are good trade partners for the time being so I've not tried to fight them yet

Attached: 1542953087026.png (1024x1024, 1.03M)

>his first act as Hammerer was to go to the chief farmer and break both his legs.

Attached: LMAO 2 CAT.png (625x479, 6K)

Kys boris

user.
What if... You went into adventure mode and stole a necromancy tome, brought it back, go back into fortress mode and then kill your dragon god and resurrect her?

Attached: 1470547806601.jpg (810x810, 63K)

Are you an elf?

wish I still had my screen shots, I lost them when my backup HDD died

I once got attacked by a flying forgotten beast, it was made of salt.
This was one of my first actually successful forts with a real militia which had already fought off another forgotten beast A Humanoid made of fire that sat in my cavern layer lake for a year, producing infinite steam before finally dying in one hit from a militia man and a titan, a huge horse with a horn, made of stone that radiated Joy.
Being confident that my Dorfs could handle the situation I sent them down to deal with the beast.
Much like the Flaming Humanoid it eventually died in one hit when it got into range.
Unfortunately it exploded.
Unfortunately it was actually made of acid.
Unfortunately it caught almost all of my Militia in its acid death explosion.
Unfortunately all my Militia dorfs proceeded to melt to death.
The sudden death of my Militia naturally upset my dorfs but it was ok because the goblin army that attacked right after would have probably killed everyone anyway.

maybe latter
I'm still having fun with my fort
I'm thinking of making a breach into Hell for a laugh, already broke in once but sealed it quickly.

>above ground fort

Attached: 1486671284007.png (955x1036, 203K)

This is an affront to nature.

So what'd you do to get banned from the forums?

I should really get back into this game

Attached: o7.png (545x230, 11K)

I don't like doing stuff above ground unless it's either;
A pit.
A magnificent tower.
Or a comfy tavern for people of the world, outside of my fort so they can't dirty it up with their filthy nondwarfyness.

One of my earliest forts went out in quite a spectacular way as I decided to break into the caverns early, but didn't realise I needed to fortify its entrance to make sure nothing got in. Eventually some kind of troll managed to wander in and started evicerating my dorfs. Again, I was very new, so I decided to add everyone to a squad: not realising I'd have to personalise and tell them to use their weapons and tools on them.

30 or so dwarves come barrelling through the corridor, and with hindsight I shouldn't have expected them to last long. Some fuckery must have occurred because though I did loose the fort and all those dwarves, we went out gloriously. The first dwarf to collide with the aggressor must have been a wrestling demi-God or a lucky bastard because he single handedly incapacitated the creature and left it prone for what must have been an age. Dude either jump-kicked it's head in or pulled some suplex off, because it was incapable of fighting back as a swarm of angry manlets crowded around and started pummeling with their fists, nails, teeth and skulls. This couldn't continue as each dwarf began to tire and eventually pass out; leaving one pissed off beast and some soon to be dead dwarves on the floor.

It was a good time.

Attached: 1559722567367 E666A061-451C-4B57-944C-F8F36E92DF89.jpg (800x800, 278K)

Adventurer story from a few months ago
>human adventurer
>hire two goblins mercenaries, a male swordman and a female spearman
>mostly go around doing small task
>get to the point where I can actually hire a lot of people
>decide my character should be some holier-than-you with a messiah complex
>for a while it's always the same routine, I send people to their death, then wait for the opponent to be weak to finish it off and claim their death my own
>goblin swordman is so skilled and well equipped he's fully capable of tanking large beasts and come back unscattered
>goblin spearman is my bodyguard
>one day I bite more than I could chew with a necromancer tower
>mist is extremely thick
>end up face to face with a shitload of undeads
>the undeads steamrolled our recruits, and the necromancer stabbed me while I was trying to sneak up on him
>I run away like a coward with my spear goblin
>goblin swordman got his spine broken by an undead and end up fighting them off the ground
>the last thing I see is him getting overwhelmed by undead
>fast forward
>back in business
>job is to kill bandits, can't be that hard with 24 people
>reach their camp
>bandits are mostly made out of recruits
>we destroy them
>we go on our way back to the city to claim victory
>but we are getting followed
>a squad of 5 people, one of them having the rank Commander
>turns out those were the actual bandits, the people we murdered were just holding their camp
>my men charge the bandits
>their commander kill anyone standing in her way
>she ends up charging me
>I put up a fight but she's just way too strong for me
>she cuts my arm and I drop my weapon
>she stabs me in the chest and puncture my lungs
>spear goblin comes to my rescue and divert the commander attention
>I try to crawl away to save my own life
>spear goblin get beheaded with a clean cut
>the commander doesn't even bother finishing me off and I die in a trail of my own blood
Sword goblin actually survived and became a soldier.

You sound very annoying.

Attached: 1551926521996.jpg (243x296, 42K)

if I'm on flatland I usually do a fortress on the surface for military purposes, and a tavern within the walls.

>Do I fit in yet?
Kill yourself, newfag.

Adventure Mode! I tell this story a lot so you might have seen it before.

Playing Adventure Mode shortly after the introduction of Vampires.
My Dorf hasn't even done anything of note yet when I get ambushed by a big group on the world map.
I'm very dead but I try to fight through anyway!
I get one kill and my Dorf goes into a Trance.
I'm thinking I might get through this but the guy I'm currently fighting is a Vampire. Fuck.
In desperation I aim an axe blow at the Vampires neck, and cut his head clean off!
The next 10 minutes of real time is spent clicking through notifications.
Vampires make trophies out of every person they kill.
This Vampire had like 1000 kills during world gen.
He was carrying over 1000 Necklaces and Ear Rings made out of people that he killed, not to mention all the Rings he had as well.
Fucker actually burst into treats on death.

>A Humanoid made of fire that sat in my cavern layer lake for a year, producing infinite steam before finally dying in one hit from a militia man
You should have captured him and made him a fixture of your fort, that sounds fucking awesome.

I always find it funny how terrifying looking a beast made of fire or blood must looks like, but then die from a single hit from even a baby.

Suck one Theresa

Attached: 1559895640184 1550704489022.jpg (920x960, 62K)

Oh yeah, can't wait for arbitrary DRM

No. If it's not on the epicstore it's not worth my attention.

just that one time coz i wanted to try it

Attached: df 09.webm (578x578, 2.38M)

Its one of the things I regret about Dorf Fort.
Infinite Water + Infinite Fire = Infinite Steam
If only I had known how to harness such power, I would have been unstoppable!

I like how they just pass out during a fight. Short angry tards they are.

The principle of vampires is great, having the ability to hide among people using fake names and fake skills, eventually become powerful and charismatic enough to become their leader, but then in regular playthrough they are completely autistic and will not hide the fact if you accuse them.

Just give it something like the rimeorld UI and it will be "fixed". DT should be standard but integrated into the game. And fix lategame lag (probably wont happen)

They did a lot of punching, so it's more kudos to them

How about KYS my dude. Imagine seething and avoiding a good game because you can't be asked to spend 2 days with it.

>forgot about noble request
>the Hammerer's wife is condemned to 2 hits
>Hammerer tears his wife's leg and crush her lungs with a silver hammer in only 2 hits
I don't think he liked his wife very much.

Why don't trades ever tell you cool shit in dialogue form? Instead of "Updated your civilizations"

Lmao loser

>not knowing how to play with ASCII

what's wrong with you m8

Attached: Tarverns.png (800x601, 41K)

Being a noob is suffering.

>Didn't build a temple until much later, so all my dorfs are forever unhappy
>Retard dorfs jump after goblins in my pitfall trap
>Can't get their bodies without flooding my shit up
>Ghosts now hunt my people
>Don't find gold nor silver, or any metal at all, so can't into wealth or good weapons/armor
>Make tavern, gets popular
>Humans suddenly snap and kill everyone for no reason
gg

Attached: serveimage.jpg (236x201, 9K)

>waves

I got ya fren

Attached: Dwarf Fortress.gif (682x711, 203K)

Here's a tip: Build and sell wooden traps

>giving your hammerer silver
THAT'S HOW YOU GET SPLATTERS MY DUDE!

spiked balls

He had a cheap copper hammer near the jail but for whatever reason he was holding a silver one.

Running with my own Monastery game. I've forgotten to close the backdoor to my fort from the caverns and a cave crocodile got in, after it had harmed two dwarves the Militia Captain/Head Monk finally avenged them.

Attached: The Monk Latches on FIRMLY.png (599x630, 42K)

huh, you can embark on such a huge area?

Motherfucker took til death do us part serious and you gave him just the occupation to make it happen.

>the militia commander bites the cave crocodile in the tongue
Holy shit

Attached: goblin(female) slayer.png (1134x74, 3K)

>a fucking dragon or some shit busted into my mines and made its way back to my store room when I wasn't looking
>literally have no soldiers because they fucked drowned like retards
>all of my dwarves were conscripted and are dog piling the dragon thing
>it can't move but I can't attack because its too tough
>my cats are breeding out of control
WHAT THE FUCK DO I DO

strike the earth

lead dragon to cats

z->Animals->Kitten->b (slaughter)

lmao 2 cat

Since now the devs are trannyggers, I'll pirate it, sure.

Attached: 1557399776490.png (976x658, 283K)

Just quickly take a look at some of the stones you have lying about the place and inspect some through the Status menu (z -> then 'Stone') you might just have something to make metals with. You'll need some wood and wood furnaces to make the fuel, someone to use that fuel to smelt (with a smelter - same place as the wood furnace) the ores and finally someone else with MORE fuel to make items out of it, using the Metal smith's forge/anvil.

>wood traps and wooden spike-balls

It does work, just don't trade with elves

Attached: Ores_and_alloys_flowchart.png (939x640, 103K)

Try working on this game for 10+ years without becoming mentally ill

Fair enough.
He can't expect me to finance his illness though.

How/Why are the devs trannyggers?
Did I miss something?

>go on an elven rampage
>go in elven forest
>murder everyone there but a young elven girl
>strip her of her clothes
>slap her with her own thong until I actually manage to break her arm
>grab her and toss her off the tree
>accidentally trip and fall of the tree
>kill myself from the impact
>elf girl is now queen

Pretty sure the same croc recently vomited too

Attached: BRUTAL.jpg (800x450, 37K)

Not him but didn't he forced "gender non conforming" dwarfs and banned people who criticized him for it or something?

ty lads

I think you can find some seeds on the internet of pregenerated worlds.

I attempted above ground fort once
its kind of pain in the ass desu
specially if you want a wall thats tall enough that goblin cant just climb over since you have to build scaffolding and shet
and just the sheer number of stone blocks you need just to build simple tavern
also fuck birbs

Any tilesets or something to make it look like the roguelike Brogue? I have a hard time getting into simple games that look like DF without all the complex shit to manage but the way Brogue presents things had me easily understanding what was going on.

>kea steals wheelbarrow full of gold statues
Not that I need any of them but what the fuck

Honestly speaking the way they were added is the least offensive it could be, all things considered.
Unless you're talking about something else.

Attached: DORF FORTRESS, NOW WITH ACTUAL MAGMA ORGIES.jpg (432x232, 13K)

Something about them having new 'non-binary' pronouns for certain dwarves or something? Don't quote me on that, I'm not sure who's at fault here.

Is it actually possible to defeat an angel not made of gas or fire in a 1 on 1 fight? I've done it with demons but they aren't as skilled so it's easy to dodge them.

Wow this is the most nothing thing to get mad about.

If I recall correctly, it's just that a male dorf can have female pronouns or a female dorf male ones.
It doesn't really add anything to the game, there's only a limited amount of ways to figure a dwarf sex (pronouns in description and symbol next to their name while selecting them), it's just there to create controversy because it's free advertisement.
Worse case scenario you find yourself in a rare situation where your dorfs can't procreate, and then again there are little reasons you'll want children over migrants anyway.

Dorfs could be gay or bi a long long time ago, way before the steam release, that said it doesn't add anything since you don't really care about their relationship as they mostly cause troubles.

Honestly I don't care about this but it really doesn't fit with the universe of Dorf Fort, why would people actually bother with what their pronouns are when the average lifespan is 15 years?

to all newfags, toady doesnt give a shit about the politics the way modern Yea Forums does
he's talked about adding tranny dwarves in the past
around 10 years in the past
if he actually gets around to it, it won't be for imaginary sjw brownie points

>It's probably the most in depth game ever.
Only people who have never played Dwarf Fortress actually believes this.

Attached: 1551947073580.png (741x337, 78K)

Oh I never posted, I went there and I saw it was full of soγ shit and I noped the fuck out.
You sound like you deserve to be annoyed.

He haven't talk much about it since then, but suddenly he brought it back up by pure coincidence when he mentioned the game being brought on Steam.

This didn't happen.

user doesn't know what he's talking about, Toady is fucking desperate for more Patreon money, he's horrendously bad at managing his finances like the stereotypical boomer he is.

he's desperate for money because his brother has massive hospital costs due to an ongoing sickness

>Listen here you pointy eared fuck

Nothing's wrong with ASCII, it's the fact that in Fortress mode you pretty much have to look up guides to figure out how to do stuff. Good UX means that if you want to do something you can do it easily.
An example is when I was playing I needed fat for soap, and I had a butches workshop and hunters but no animals had been butchered. I spent a while trying to figure out what was going on, in the end I think it was because I had a refuse pile outside and the hunter was just dumping the animals there and they weren't being brought to the butcher. Even now I still don't know if that was actually the issue. A game with good UX would first make it clear to me that that was the issue, I'd be able to easily see what is happening with my hunters, if they are actually killing things and where the things they have killed is going, and then I'd be able to just tell my hunters "bring the meat to the butcher" or something similar instead of having to move my refuse pile or do some other dumb bullshit. I just ended up giving up on getting soap because it was too much of a pain to bother with

do you have a super computer?
one the embark screen you can adjsut the size of your embark area

>Spending money you receive to help you develop a video game on a brother who refuses to get a job
>They're both in their 40's, obese and balding but decide not to get health insurance while earning $8k+ a month
>stereotypical boomer he is
Checks out.

Hunters will always bring their marked target to the butcher shop, but they often kill more than simply the marked target and leave the corpses behind or haul them in the refuse stockpile. Seems like you had more of an issue with no dorfs assigned to the butchering job.

you're forgetting your ABMATs user
always be mad about trannies

i'll probably play it a couple of hours after the next big update, see what new gimmicks it brings (if any) and then remember that 99% of the ""content"" is pure flavor text with zero impact on actual gameplay and move back to more deserving games

You could talk to other people? How does that work in DF?

Adventure Mode, it's asking specific questions or relaying informations, that said I told someone I killed his wife and he was completely unphased.

It's in Adventurer mode. You just choose options from a menu, but there are quite a lot of options and some of them open up new submenus where you can select a specific thing. Like for example you can choose to spread a rumor, and then it will bring up a selection of events you've witnessed or heard about. Or you can ask about a person and then it will bring up a list of all the people you know. Overall it's an interesting proof of concept but it's pretty basic at the moment and feels quite silly with how the NPCs respond to stuff

>some people that never ever affects anything in any way whatsoever is shit therefore the game is shit
this is some high level autism even for dorf fort

I remember telling someone I killed someone because I wanted them to be impressed by me so they'd join me but then they called me a murderer and started spitting at me and soon everyone hated me.

>feels quite silly with how the NPCs respond to stuff
It was inevitable.

If that person belong to their faction or a faction friendly to them, they'll dislike you. It get to weird extend where you can kill bandits that belong to their faction and they hate you for it.
The funny thing about people spitting at you is that your character will try to dodge them like a projectile, the result is that sometime you can collide with other people.

Party dwarf was a dwarf who one day for no apparent reason decided to give up his life of fine hand craftmanship to stand in the feasting hall all day every day getting shitfaced and breaking furniture.

Attached: 1400716056736.gif (250x305, 1.99M)

Dorfs mysteriously disappeared after constructing my waterfall bridge and ghosts were haunting my fortress soon after.
Turns out getting swept by the waterfall would make dorfs go through the grid floor of the bridge to their death many z below.
There was a lot of corpses down there.

You accidentally liquidated your dwarves and they slid through a grate?

You know how dorfs feel better when they get hit by the mist of a waterfall? I thought I could make a path go directly through a waterfall. Turn out the energy that propel the water was enough to become a defense system.

Good Job
I made a fort with a central pillar of falling water which all major thoroughfares passed around
My fort was so happy that the rotting corpse of a forgotten beast in the middle of it letting off all this miasma took a full 5 years to make them upset.
For reals it was so heavy I my dorfs wouldn't haul it.