What happened to racing games?

What happened to racing games?

Attached: NFSMW_Boxart.jpg (1525x2135, 1.01M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9ewiJJe_nYI
youtu.be/B4c_SkROzzo?t=36
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

died with rts

CTR

nothing's happening

not inovative anymore and ea fucked up the series after OPs pic

>'Lets change it'
>worse sales
>'lets remove a bunch of stuff'
>worse sales
>'lets put out half finished products and hope people stick around so we can update it with feature the community does want'
Literally no hope for EA to ever bring back NFS.
sim and simcade racing is doing pretty well though, GT sport, Forza horizon, DiRT rally etc

Arcade racers died and sims are better than ever. Sucks for casuals i guess. Also MW was trash

The only thing that saved racing in the first place was the campy street racing craze, which was the only way to make the genre interesting and engaging without forcing all your customers to buy $500 steering wheels. That's not ironic enough for today's kids, it's actually considered "cringe".

Pic related was the last good racing game.

Attached: 1565779192193.jpg (220x273, 19K)

I think car culture going out has a lot to do with it. back then you could find a shitbox like a golf or civic cool, so something like a rare V8 M3 was fucking otherworldly, now it's all 500k+ tuned hypercars and lambos and bugatiis and sheet, in a game an M3 might as well be just another fucking shitbox now

>tfw best cars in NFS:U2 were the RX7, NSX and 350Z

>$500 steering wheels
you can get 3 pedal thrustmaster for less than that, and they often go on sale, I got the alcantara one for 410$ and it usually goes for 600$ in my country

buying the shifter is extra sure, but you can still have fun if you don't want to invest more

Could EA potentially remaster the OG Most Wanted maybe with some added cars/songs/content or would it be a licensing, lawsuit awaiting nightmare?

the NSX was in U2?

I remember the RX7 being my go to car in U1, even in favour of the skyline, albeit you sometimes had to chance to something else for the drag race because it was only a 5speed

The cost was not the issue addressed in his post, but the fact that racing games are fucking boring to people who don't give a shit about cars.

But most people do care about cars, that's why licensed cars in games are so popular. Maybe they don't care enough to master the corkscrew with all assists off in a mid-engined murderer, but enough to want to blast at 300kph in the outback with their bright violet lambos

I just want ports of arcade games, man.

emulate?

Why not just play the original instead of expecting EA to do anything that won't be total shit but still make money?

How bad will the new Grid be? It's the last hope for arcade racers that don't go full retard.

because I'm dumb and have enough hope to think they wont fuck up something so simple

I think he meant RSX.
The RX7 is my favorite too, good handling and tolerable acceleration if you don't upgrade the transmission.

Attached: 1127171069041827840.webm (910x512, 1.19M)

I remember it was pretty tail happy when upgraded to the max, especially prone to snap oversteer when you came off the gas at high speeds, kept using it for that matter because it was entertaining

This post makes me sad.

Is there a car that benefits from visual upgrades more than the 350? I don't think so.

We've reached the peak. There's nothing to catch anymore.

Attached: apps.41908.66376178575409495.28021d24-909c-42a5-a778-184b2951c31c.2dc93c4d-1f0c-4f03-a54b-77fe566cca (720x1080, 169K)

>tfw burnout will never return
god I wasted so much time in 3/Revenge, especially on that fucking ambulance crash mission

>ITT: shit taste
Anyway arcade racing games pretty much died because zoomers like cars less and less. Nowadays the only people left who like car culture are boomers who like boomer cars that expenentially increase in price every year and faggot 20 somethings who watched initial d and jerk off to nip shitboxes.

What if I like mid 90s European sedans in BTCC trim, underpowered malaise era American road boats, and Twingos?

I guess you can play sims like AC like all the other simdads and boomers.

Only modern racing games I've bothered with are Horizon 4 and Project Cars 2.
I'd like a new Burnout but I guess it's dead forever

Other than the cop system Most Wanted was a fuckin downgrade compared to Underground. That customization fuckin sucks in Most Wanted.

Trackmania post

Attached: trackmania 1.webm (960x540, 2.77M)

Really sad how sim/simcade is the only real thing to choose from today aside from meh at best indies. The arcade racing genre was dead the moment retards criticized Ridge Racer 7 for being "too arcadey".

Attached: 51GWpocOi3L._SX342_.jpg (342x400, 25K)

It is, though? It feels totally weightless and even more on rails than previous entries. Ridge Racer 2 PSP is peak modern era RR.

they become souless

And? That's the whole fun, I love the whole technique found in drifting around corners. Watching cars go fucking sideways is entertaining as hell and the music is top tier.

RR7 looked fucking great back in 2007 running at 60fps at 1080p (something most games still have a problem with today) but the cars felt too floaty and had no weight to them. Impressive tech demo but kinda sucked to play.

imagine paying more than 200$ for pedals and a wheel and NOT getting the fucking shifter
might as well use WASD to drive in sims

STAAAAAY IN SHADOOOOOOW

Attached: B3T_CoverArt.jpg (366x512, 74K)

Blur was goat
I played the multiplayer at least 100 hrs.

racing games need to evolve and basically be on a grand theft auto map, maps need to have more branching paths increase the player counts

gta is basically your racing game now

Kazunori Yamauchi happened

Fuck off, open world ruined racing games.

But cars handle like utter shit in GTA. If you want an open world racer you play Forza Horizon or The Crew.

>open world ruined racing games.
Bullshit Most Wanted caused the genre to explode in popularity

Fast and Furious turned into over the top heists, and vidya followed.

Attached: ramp.png (1920x1080, 3.27M)

GTA does nothing with these branching pathes, most races are strictly linear.
And those games prove that open world checkpoint-less racing is trash because that is by far the worst mode in either of them.

please be good

Attached: asdasd.png (661x444, 32K)

>nfs heat
>90s inspired Miami
pass

Where were when you realised Pro Street was actually the best NFS?

I won't be. It will be another dull gameplay+cringey fast and furious story with horrible actors turd.

I know, all I'm saying is GTA is trash for racing

in 2009 listening to Pogo by Digitalism

My negro

>EA
It won't even be feature complete

As soon as they stopped putting the AE86 in their games they started sucking shit. Imagine that.

racing games, RTS, collectathons (banjo/dk64), skateboarding games

all dead

>tfw bought the Black version of Most Wanted for 3 dollars and it works fine

TO THE WINDOW

>Carbon is the only old NFS with working multiplayer

Attached: D_8LoutUwAEnOgU.jpg (574x717, 108K)

>Carbon
Making muscle cars with exposed superchargers and drag tyres were the only reasons I played that game. I don't even think the Forza series lets you do that now.

we need more bike combat games

Attached: bike supremacy.webm (430x242, 1.91M)

forza lets you put drag tyres on anything, but probably not the supercharger thing
it's pretty basic when it comes to aesthetic mods

You can do visual customization on any car, depending on manufacturer, but people rather look at it in pragmatic ways, because it's Forza, stuff like weight, launch control, stability, and acceleration matter, yet there are people that make old Corvettes, Skylines, and Lambos into dragsters or drift missiles.

>pic related
>new Grid
>Dirt series
Racing games are still at the tippity top

Attached: qbittorrent_0egPhXxavC.png (1101x28, 5K)

Attached: 1565006270368.webm (1280x720, 1.69M)

>Blur
That's just Mario Kart with licensed cars

Nothing, it's just NFS that went to shit. Gran Turismo, Forza, Mario Kart, CTR, and whatever other indie or AA devs arcade/simulation car racing games are still pretty good.

The real question is, what happened to Bike racing games? Why are they so far and few inbetween, and why are they so ass most of the time?

Attached: yamaha-rd350.jpg (500x372, 44K)

if they were still alive Yea Forums would shit on them. better they died

Drag tires are a basic mod that most cars can fit.
Exposed superchargers a hood mood available on most vintage and retro muscle class cars.

>implying someone cares what Yea Forums shits on.

In horizon 4 that is

Tourist Trophy 2 never ever :(

pic related is like the only crash racer that came out since Burnout Paradise, why is this subgenre so fcking dead

Attached: apps.21108.14053601639617770.6f9eba9e-2611-4fb4-a0b0-d4a3d27817ef.jpeg.jpg (448x252, 25K)

Go simple, load up your SNES and play some top gear or get horizon chase turbo on steam/PS4. Lotus challenge games are still great arcade racers even decades later. Based music too.

>Play Test Drive 5 as a kid
>See a Dodge Viper for the first time
>Fall in love
Fuck. What are your carfus Yea Forums?

Attached: Dodge Viper.jpg (900x652, 457K)

NFS Heat looks very unremarkable and even if it looked cool I wouldn't trust EA with it.

OG NSX

Subaru Imprezza WRX (unironically)

There is still so much potential left in the arcade racer genre. If I had the skill or money to make my own I’d have so many ideas for it.

>turn right
>Turn left
>Accelerate
>Brake

That's it
****nite is way better

EA

>crashing into walls simulator
ballisticng is better

Aston's

Attached: Auto___Aston_Martin_Blue_sports_car_Aston_Martin_107530_.jpg (3840x2160, 834K)

nothing, there's still forza games which you can play on your xbox gaming system or pc and honestly there are not much competition when it comes to having fun with cars and cruising around in horizon games or the racing in motorsports games.
need for speed games especially most wanted era ones suck dick, not as much as the modern ones but they still suck dick. garbage ass rubberband enemies and the whole cop gimmick is tiresome.
cars behave like ass and the whole focus isn't about having fun driving around. not to mention the dated game engines those have, this unironically is the case with the newer ones too.

RX-7.
Might be my dream car but I fear that it's a nightmare to own.

Attached: 15282341476567841.jpg (720x540, 72K)

It's not if you know what you are doing

less focus on arcade fun street racing and more on boring realism and legit racing
also microtransaction, dlc and nickle & diming

God bless Felix Wankel and Mazda

can't force racing games into the phone game model as the online is too high skill for most players. People just want midnight club.

Featured in midnight club 2 as an off-brand and Gran Turismo 4. Kid me was blown away that a 4 door car could be this cool.

Attached: iu[4].jpg (1024x678, 144K)

dude, Evo IV was one of the intro screen cars in GT1

>tfw car combat is dead
It fucking hurts.

>crashing into walls
We in the trade call it "Tactical Wall Bounce".
Also only Sulha and Buran need to do that. Everything else except for wood can do clean fast laps, and wood can turbo out of every corner.

They won't make money so publishers don't give a fuck about them.

what's the best racing game on PS2 and 3

Burnout 3

Burnout 3 was peak arcade racer.
NFS looks kinda fun but honestly I can't stand the osts for them so I never got too far in them.
Are the newer ones (2015/payback) any good? I got rivals and liked it (except the techno whatever music ofc)

Attached: 740full-burnout-3_-takedown-screenshot.jpg (640x448, 51K)

I thought that's a meme

I'll tell you what happened to racing games. Nobody is fucking playing them.

I see you all making muh racing game threads to try and score some sick internet cred, but are you actually playing them? Of course not.

There are countless old racing games you can play online in 2019. And fucking NONE of you are in them. Not one. Get the fuck out of here you fucking posers. Go play Forza like the little shits you are.

Yes I am mad

I once talked to the guy performing "In a hood near you" in this game.

I play emulated GT3 with a t300rs every other day

>GT sport
>pretty well
user...

Same thing what happened to sport games. Normies are easily cucked. So the whole genre got kiked.

>tfw still playing Ridge racer on vita

>tfw F-Zero is dead

Attached: MV5BZDYzNThhNzQtZTdjOS00NzIzLWE1YTYtZTVjOTI2YmI2NTI4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjkwNzYxODA@._V1_.jpg (1024x768, 560K)

download WipEout for free on PSN right now you fool

Attached: goteki.jpg (1920x1080, 466K)

They all became boring
Can't wait for FPS to die out just like racing games

"free"

and it was great

>free
>PSN

No thanks I'll play BallisticNG on PC at 120fps

oh boohoo.

Shit taste

just pirate it on ps3

hey check this out:
need for sneed

More like Corolla, RX7, 240SX, and STI with the corolla being leagues above the rest

the omega collection is ps4 only

It's not that the 350 looks bad, it lends itself to visual changes easily since it has very few body lines which are well thought out and so it's less hard to add something interesting on top without overloading the design.

missing out on 2048 isn't that bad

?

Mitsubishi GTO
>TWINTURBO

>every genre is going to be increasingly normalfagged until only FPS remains
STOP THIS TIMELINE, I WANT TO GET OFF

Attached: O06YhoG.jpg (854x859, 114K)

You couldn't pay me to go without a Type 1.
They say dogs are Man's best friend, well this is like that in vehicle form.

Attached: cri_000000229078.jpg (2000x1365, 325K)

Why has no game done police radio chatter well since this one?

The best games have already been made see and pic related

Attached: nostalgia.jpg (709x1016, 186K)

What do we think of youtube.com/watch?v=9ewiJJe_nYI ?

Apparently the leaks were true
>Need for Speed Heat
>Synthwave themed
>set in Miami
>no rally
>not always online/you can pause it
>no shitty Payback gambling cards, you upgrade your car with earned cash like in 2015
>no automated day and night cycle however some races/events are in day/night/rain/morning/whatever
>focusing on racers vs cops like Most Wanted/Rivals
>same heat system as in Rivals with aggressive cops and choppers
>illegal street racing during the night, official Pro Street racing during the day
>improved handling
>seen as a "foundation" for the future games by the devs, basically another reboot
>updated frostbite engine so it looks prettier than 2015 and Payback
>Speedlists are used to progress through career mode like in Rivals
>heavy focus on single player story with a darker tone than Payback

Attached: 976f07a3a5f90dc020cefa392922ed28.png (1080x1349, 1.21M)

>heavy focus on single player story

Attached: end.png (395x228, 94K)

>amerimutt game
>bitch starts talking mexican without subtitles
I actually felt insulted.

GET READY

>EA
>ghost
its dead
EA should just remaster the older NFS games and then retire the franchise

AS THEY THANK THE LORD THE BLIND CAN'T SEEEEE

I mean it's miami what did you expect?
white people?

SPLIT/SECOND chads where are you at?

youtu.be/B4c_SkROzzo?t=36

Here

Attached: SplitSecond.png (1280x720, 1.4M)

Kys shill

>thread about racing games
>link an upcoming racing game from the same franchise of OP's pic

Attached: 1564604624289.jpg (782x960, 47K)

Thanks GT2

As someone who didn't hate NFS2015, it looks okay like most NFS games, even pre-Ghost

Attached: GT40.jpg (1920x1080, 647K)

I always thought moto games were nearly pointless because you can't emulate the true fun of it in a video game, but this looks pretty cool

>frostbite engine

wow so it's going to be an optimization mess and run like shit no matter what? great.