Unironic masterpiece that has cemented itself as a shining example of the 2D platformer or overrated reddit garbage...

Unironic masterpiece that has cemented itself as a shining example of the 2D platformer or overrated reddit garbage that belongs in the trash?

Attached: 0f8f8798c4512cc9aa1881a1f8672bc9598c7afb523e0e6120223d3dc697ddfe_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.j (639x361, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5ov6lzqWjmk
youtube.com/watch?v=gDJGY92Gv6k
youtube.com/watch?v=KkVwuWH-woA
youtube.com/watch?v=8Kf_SgGkOyw
youtube.com/watch?v=NDhGdyMnjXk
youtube.com/watch?v=8q4LZx08FlQ
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I’ve given this game 5 chances now and I just can’t get into it at all

just finished it for the first time and I enjoyed it but I barely have a clue what it is about

Just finished it for the 5th time and I gotta say I want to play it again.

It's one of the best games of all time. It getting completely ignored in 2017 in favor of Zelda made me realise just how out of touch I am with average gamers these days.

>It getting completely ignored in 2017
Things that never happened.

I thought it was decent, but not to the level of masterpiece. I didn't find the combat interesting or enjoyable and the world design wasn't quite enough to carry it. I put it down around the 15 hour mark and just never bothered to go back to it. Rain World was the better exploration focused platformer of 2017 for me

Fuck this place

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 106K)

I've beaten it multiple times now after getting all the things to get.
I even suffered through the path of pain.
Only thing I can't do is beating the Hollow Knight in the pantheon...
I managed to beat him once on practice mode but whenever I attempt the pantheon I become exhausted by the time I reach him and get bodied
Overall it's a fine game, and has a nice blend of Metroidvania and Dark souls elements. But I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. It does what it does extremely well though.
It's soundtrack however might be one...

you're gunna want to take a sharp left when you get up that first platform. there's a secret wall but you can't see it

Just wait till you get to the real challenge

I really enjoyed it. I don't know if I'd go as far as to call it a masterpiece, but I think it is a great game, and I look forward to Silksong

It ain't a masterpiece.

However, it's the perfect benchmark for the modern Metroidvania/Metroid-like.

Well you are correct in the sense that you’re out of touch

Hollow Knight has sold several million copies. It's been highly celebrated and extremely successful.

Masterpiece, though brought down by the DLC focusing too much on generic boss reskins and gauntlets than new content.

its overrated as fuck

still a great game

Here you go

Attached: Backstory of hollow knight.png (1286x197, 69K)

Grimm alone made buying the DLC worth it

its underrated as fuck

still a bad game

Overrated.

The atmosphere is top notch. The lore is good. The characters are nice. The level design is mostly of quality. But the game focuses heavily on combat... Which just doesn't work.

The game wants to have these epic and complex boss battles, but the moveset and controls of your character I don't think mesh well with that idea. Also way too many bosses rely on teleportation, random bullets and things like that.

Fights often feel chaotic or too overwhelming. When you face most bosses for the first time, at least in the second half (there are a lot of pushovers), you're probably going to get hit repeatedly and die because you have very little room to learn the moveset of a boss on you first try. The fights often feel like trial and error because of this, keep dying and repeat until you figure out how to avoid all attacks from a certain boss.

Before you tell me

>git gud

This WOULDN'T be an issue if the learning process was actually... Fun. And it can be, at times. But during my two runs on this game I just found the boss encounters more boring and frustrating than fun. They really ruined my enjoyment for the game.

It's far from an impossible game, again with a few tries (A LOT with certain bosses) you'll be able to complete every challenge but... It's not very fun.

It's okay, but VERY overrated. I'd give it a 6/10 at most

It's a very good game and the best metroidvania I've played in recent memory, but it's hardly a masterpiece. Still very good and I'm looking forward to Silksong.

To be completely fair to this user, HK only saw real success after Dunkey mentioned it in one of his videos. For the first few months it got absolutely buried by BotW, Horizon, and Nier.

>Dunkey
GTFO

If those are the options you work with, your way of rating things is essentially worthless.

Attached: The Pale King.jpg (1280x855, 258K)

>Buying
Nani the fuck, all the DLC was free my dude, you might have bought the soundtrack.

Attached: 18_4_3_by_zephov.jpg (1280x766, 132K)

Pretty much. There's some more nuances. Also, my interpretation is that Hollow Knight actually could feel emotion because the King raised it like his Son, because the king is a fucking retard. This is the same idiot who thinks using Void energy isnt going to fuck him over later on.

Also, did the King make the bugs smart like people or was that something else.

did you like the game?
did you not like the game?
can you get your head out of your ass and decide for yourself whether you liked the game or not?
if i post your favorite game on reddit and it blows up, does it cease to be your favorite game? you are all mongoloids

Overrated plebbit zoomer trash.

Play Ninja Gaiden on the NES, same shit with less fluff and less pretentious self fellation.

There are references to the King giving them intelligence and rising them out of beasthood, apparently under Radiance all bugs were basically wild and thoughtless

I almost made that mistake as well. But yeah, all Hollow Knight DLC is free, with the only paid one expected to be the Hornet DLC before they just expanded it and made it into a game.

There's no 'interpretation' about it, that's literally what the Hollow Knight's flaw was and he even has cut dreamnail dialogue.
From the wiki:
Regular infected version:
>...Kill...
>...Shall blaze free...
>...This Vessel, broken...fails...
>...Dawn...Shall break...
>...No mind, the usurper...Only strength...
>...Kill the usurper...Our light it would suffocate...
Pretty obviously the Radiance speaking through him, but the final one is thus
>...Father?...
Pure vessel version's dialogue is pic related

Kings power was definitely what did it, he basically uplifted non-sentient bugs into free-thinking creatures and the Godseeker can still feel the remnents even though PK is either dead or fucked off somewhere.

Attached: ....jpg (1280x1280, 279K)

Hey I ain't no e-celebfag but I do know that it was that video that was the tipping point for the game back in 2017.

Hollow Knight is an excellent game in its own right, but the fact it's so insanely cheap is what pushes it over the edge. For pennies you get the full AAA experience on a smaller scale. It's crazy.

It does fall a bit flat when it comes to Boss Gameplay but everything else is so top-tier considering that it's barely a problem.

He's correct though, the game was a fucking ghost when it got released on PC in 2017. Cuphead stole all its Indie awards, too.

In 2018 it got the Switch release, then the other consoles, and then it actually got noticed properly. It wasn't a smash hit, it had to earn its rightful place as a modern classic through some sustained hype and word of mouth.

Post your favorite themes, fan mixes included.

youtube.com/watch?v=5ov6lzqWjmk

youtube.com/watch?v=gDJGY92Gv6k

Attached: DJ CrimsonFire.jpg (717x598, 82K)

>the game was a fucking ghost when it got released on PC in 2017.
No, it wasn't.

just wear the bee charm/grub charm or both

youtube.com/watch?v=KkVwuWH-woA

It just sounds you re very bad at the game, little knight has a tons of mobility options.

what boss radiance? what boss could have possibly given you difficulty outside of the pantheon? they're all so easy.

why does this game have a rep of being hard? steel soul mode is almost a joke to do

>Switch release
Oh shit that might explain why the threads went to shit, it basically happened at the same time.

>it does fall a bit flat when it comes to Boss Gameplay
What? There's a lot of bosses in the game, and the last dlc was fully focused on that

Godmaster ruined it

No it wasn't but the mainstream audience doesnt buy indie games made by small studios with no backing from major corporate marketing. It's kind of hard to get BOTW tier coverage when you're not a multibillion dollar mega corporation that is the disney equivalent of video games.

It already had a million sales by the time the Switch release came out you idiots.

Godmaster. The final challenges are pure autism tier. No normal human has any desire to do these things to themselves.

youtube.com/watch?v=8Kf_SgGkOyw
youtube.com/watch?v=NDhGdyMnjXk
>those trumpets

youtube.com/watch?v=8q4LZx08FlQ

It's an ok metroidvania type game. Found it comfy but forgettable overall.

Attached: 20190625_125214.jpg (4160x3120, 3.76M)

I have one major issue with the pantheon

it's a boss rush right? awesome. except it has checkpoints, which give you full hp and mana, but they aren't checkpoints. if you fail, you have to start over, why?

it isn't a real gauntlet already. just do the same thing they did with godhome or like the bindings of pantheon 5. you just get a little lore item/journal entry

instead if you fail fighting pure radiance or whatever you have to fight fucking 40 minutes worth of bosses you'e already beaten to get back there.

it sucks

pantheon 5 is retarded but the first 4 are fine.

>When you face most bosses for the first time, at least in the second half, you're probably going to get hit repeatedly and die because you have very little room to learn the moveset of a boss on you first try
And how is this an issue? Do you want every boss to be piss easy?

That's why some people hate Godmaster. Personally I dont have a problem with it since its optional end game content but it is a little annoying that it came after after I already did a 100% completion and I know for a fact I'll never bother to do that to myself so it's just gonna sit as a 99% completed game for me despite how much I love it. I have a limit for trophy collecting and that shit was it. Anyone that does it has my legit respect.

that's not even true though. in fact I'd say the issue with most bosses is that you can tank them into a stagger and heal up all their damage and rinse repeat

pantheon 5 is just literally a time sink. well over half of it is' just stupid easy bosses

Yes but complex movesets don't translate well to a 2D plane

>2d platformer
>same image as that other baiter
fuck off

It's all relative to when you fight certain bosses. For example the Watcher Knights were a pain in the ass in my first playthrough, but I fought them later on my second and I just kinda tankes them.

Did you even reas the rest of my post?

cringe

it's overrated af but far from being garbage.

cringe post of the year

none of them
it's pretty good but it's no masterpiece. i liked it

I don't mean to be rude, but it seems to me like you just went in mashing buttons until either you or the boss died, and that's not how you fight these bosses, you have to pay attention to their patterns and realize when you can hit them. I'm not going to pretend like I never died, there are bosses that gave me some issues on my first playthrough like the Soul Tyrant and maybe Nosk. Seriously, no boss in the main game is actually difficult if you pay attention, the only hard battles are some of the dlc bosses. I used to think I would never finish all the Pantheons, the Radiant bosses or even Steel Soul, but after some practice I got it. I also understand that you have to like the game a lot to actually do that, and it's fine if you don't.

Attached: iw5qapxvfnb21.png (2560x1600, 3.51M)

It's a really good game.

t. Nintendo babbie who can't think for himself

That's my biggest problem with Pantheon 5. It just wastes your time with a bunch of easy shit bosses that, if you're even approaching the level necessary to beat Absolute Radiance, will just be fodder. I mean, did we really need to fight the fucking Moss Charger or the Soul Warrior again, to name a couple?

well they didn't before everyone with a Switch started buying indie games

That's what the Hall of Gods is for, to git gud at the bosses.

Yeah, but what I mean is Pantheon 5 could've been a shorter attrition test. Put the hardest 10 bosses in the pantheon with no checkpoints or something? I don't know. I get what they were going for (I've beat all the pantheons, not with bindings though, so I know they probably wanted "can you beat ALL the bosses in a row?!") but Pantheon of Hallownest just ends up being pretty tedious for 90% of the run, and ass-clenching for the last 10% because its easy to make one mistake into another and lose 40 minutes of play as you panic.

No, actually mashing buttons and tanking attacks was a rather successful strategy for various encounters on my 2nd playthrough, quickslash + unbreakable strength do wonder.

There are some bosses I found enjoyable enough to learn, like Grimm (mostly first form, the second has that god-awful random sidestep) or the Mantis Lords, there are also others. My issue with the game is specifically that learning most bosses isn't fun, just annoying.

That's exactly what makes it good retard. If you only fought a few last bosses you could bruteforce it in half an hour.

This game just loves to waste my time. Died platforming? Have fun getting send back all the way to the beginning of the level and do all the monotonous other shit you already mastered to get to retry the hard part. Died in a gauntlet? Have fun killing a million waves of mooks that are piss easy to get to get back to the hard part. Oh, your flower got destroyed at the last room? Well start over bitch boy and be sure to kill yourself before the boredom of having to walk around an empty level does it for you.

Often times it feels like this game does difficulty wrong by wasting your time as the punishment for failure.

>Died platforming? Have fun getting send back all the way to the beginning of the level
literally never happens

Lmao if you are retarded enough to actually die in the white palace.

>doing White Palace without the bee charm

There are a billion "GOTCHA" moments that are specifically designed to punish the player on their first time through. All around an absolute bullshit level that is just a pain in the ass on repeat playthroughs.

It's impossible to actually die to platforming alone at that stage in the game unless you're simply retarded.

>Dark Souls but it's a 2D Flash game
What was the point of making this? I'm thinking it's Reddit garbage.

And it's impossible for you to stop sucking dick so I'll be just ignoring your retarded ass from now on.

>retarded ass
kek I'm not the one who died in white castle

I enjoyed it, that's good enough for me.

It's boring dark souls metroidvania about bugs. Simplistic character design. Dumb dialogues where everyone speaks riddles and mysteries, but it's all just bullshit. Gloomy places. Souls. Knights. Mission. Seals. There is literally a zone with shit everywhere. And another zone full of sawdiscs for crazy-mario faggots. It's not fun. It's gloomy, dark, boring and retarded. Technically a good game and animations are great, but this theme and atmosphere makes you want to kill yourself.

This. It can simultaneously be a good game and overrated by its reddit-tier fanboys.

remember that overrated just means "I like it but I don't like that other people like it more than me."

I just beat Grimm, now I'm reading about something where I can't get to kill his dream nail version and also get an NPC in dirtmouth or something?

I hate that this game doesn't explain shit

its neither. it is just an okay platformer in an extremely boring setting with a completely forgettable story imo.

I just finished the game. Easy 5/5. I love the environment, bosses, and combat. I didnt give two fucks about the lore because it was just a game to play while listening to podcast, but it was interesting from what I gathered. I actually followed up and read extra stuff to get a better understanding because a lot of things were pretty vague. I love the idea of the Void and the creation of The Knight, his kind, and other aspects of how that effected the world. Very worth it.

Some of the DLC stuff was weak. One was just a fetch quest and the other was a boss rush but fine if you bought it and played it once the game was finished.

>When you want to be unique but you’re actually a normie and can’t do anything about it

the DLC was completely free for everyone

user this is why you dont have friends.

Great game, fuck the pantheon

I know. It's just kinda weak.

very good game, sucked a good 60 hours out of me

however, steel soul is not proving much fun for me in terms of replay value appeal so idk why everyone seems to rave on about it so much

Attached: 9xrD8qLDHY-1.png (300x250, 40K)

>everyone seems to rave on about it so much
Since when did people praise Steel Soul as adding replayability?

>masterpiece
I'm not sure about that but it's a really good game.