Played the games in reverse chronological order, what happened to make the franchise degrade into what it is now...

Played the games in reverse chronological order, what happened to make the franchise degrade into what it is now? Morrowind had so much soul.

Attached: Morrowind.jpg (800x1009, 192K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20190405013413/https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/27/18281082/elder-scrolls-morrowind-oral-history-bethesda
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Play it in reverse and Morrowind becomes a backwards province where the people can't even read maps.

Console bucks

fuck off faggot.

it was before Todd had truly gotten his claws into the franchise

Zoomers

Morrowind was a project created out of desperation and passion, it had a team of young and weird developers and writing/art direction was done by a druggie theology major.
What the fuck did you expect?

That is exactly the game where he became lead developer.

Ken Rolston left Bethesda and Todd was given full reign of the series.

That was a good thing.
See Kingdoms of Amalur as proof.

The MKult gives him waaay too much credit.
Ted Peterson was a bigger loss to the series than he was.

Except for the fact that he was developing Oblivion too.
You faggots don't want to admit it and keep talking about irrelevant faggots, for TES to have soul it need kirkbride and kuhlmann together on the team.

nothing
skyrim has as much soul if not more
go fuck yourself dumb boomer

Attached: 1562939239861.png (1450x1252, 2.97M)

Cringe, Ted Peterson wrote generic and inconsistent semi-historic books that ultimately never contributed much to lore, just expanded upon what we knew.
He was nice but never a true innovator, no matter what you say mk and kuhlmann did what people loved in Morrowind the most, denying that is retarded.

It has nothing to do with Todd. There was a huge shift in the games industry in the late 2000's towards more casual and easily accessible games for normalfags, and the console market had grown to the point where it made more sense to develop for console first and then port to PC rather than the other way around.

So you’ve played redguard, battlespire, Daggerfall and Arena now?

>soul
sage&hide

Couldn't get myself into Daggerfall, although I hear it's good.

Have you tried the unity port of daggerfall? Arena is awful to play though

I installed it and played through the starting dungeon, should go back to play some more

> MK and Kuhlman did what people loved the most
Doubt
They stopped doing the MK stuff after Morrowind and the series got exponentially more popular with each new game.

MK has very little impact on the popularity of TES.

You heard wrong.
Daggerfall is Fallout 76 tier bad.

Toddler was project lead on Morrowind.

Bethesda was in trouble when they made Morrowind it saved them from obscurity they weren't the arrogant cocks they are now

Lol, pocket guide to the empire was written majorly by mk and before it there was almost no concrete larger lore to Tamriel at all.
You can keep saying your cringy shit all you want but Elder Scrolls as we know it today didn't exist until after warp in the West and pocket guide to the empire.

Most of the downgrade came in Oblivion, Skyrim just streamlined and refined the elements already established in that game. Oblivion completely gutted so much from Morrowind including the established lore, they pretty much went all-in to appeal to the console crowd and the series really suffered for it, at least it seems they realize they have to do something extremely ambitious again if they want to wow people which is why they're holding off on TES6 for so long

Morrowind had no soul compared to Daggerfall

Fallout 76 showed them where most people drew the line when it came to buggy unfinished experiences.

All three modern ES games have soul. It's one of the few series left that has soul.

the series has some of the most consistent lore i have ever seen for a long running franchise.
cyrodill changing from a jungle is such a dumb meme and is better anyway. and it isn't on the level of wow's retardness in lore.

Yeah I don't think they realized how impactful the lore really was at the time. They did good with Skyrim and ESO put even more lore. But nothing was as worldbuilding as Morrowind. The way the story, worldbuilding and lore all came together in it has still not been surpassed in anything they've done since.

Tell yourself what you have to.
The facts in evidence do not support your argument.

MK is largely irrelevant outside of teslore on redd*t.

They used a lot of his worldbuilding for Skyrim too.

To be fair, it hasn't been surpassed by any game before or after Morrowind's release. I'd also argue that, while not living up to its fullest potential, Skyrim was a step in the right direction after Oblivion.

Was Oblivion that bad? I always held a soft spot for it.

Not even the biggest skybaby thinks that. Shit b8 mademerepley/10

Morrowind is what made TES popular in the first place.

I know he wrote some things for Oblivion what did he write for Skyrim?

Oblivion is infamous for having tons of retcons. It's not bad, though.

Pretty much everything Heimskr says.

Oblivion was the first step towards being an action game first and RPG second, and a largest step made towards making the setting just bland fantasy again (like in Arena). Skyrim at least tried to include a little bit of weirdness, though it's still bland as fuck compared to Morrowind

I definitely agree. I just didn't want to go out on a limb and add all games against Morrowind lol but it's true.

Also that's not to say that the other games don't feel as real but Morrowind felt like a natural progression into its own prophecy.

If you actually want a thorough answer to what made Morrowind so good:

web.archive.org/web/20190405013413/https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/27/18281082/elder-scrolls-morrowind-oral-history-bethesda

Weak bait.

Attached: Skyrim Cinegrid.jpg (3840x1800, 1.9M)

>Polygon
Into the trash it goes.

Attached: Polygon Doom.webm (720x404, 1.03M)

Yes being the first RPG of its kind on consoles made TES into a household name.
What doe that have to do with MKs contributions to the game?

Oblivion happened

So the script for joke character.
Well that is something I guess.

normies made the game popular and normies don't care about lore

go fuck yourself and your grey ashy landscape and mushroom houses dungmer.
i'll be in a comfy home in whiterun with a giant fire fucking my argonian waifu while its snowing outside.

So you have to be abnormal to enjoy MKs contributions?
Makes sense.

>mfw not even numerous high res and or lightning mods can make it look soulful

Nice try tho skybaby

Attached: Morrowind_6e161b_5604530.jpg (780x758, 49K)

People seem to conveniently forget that when left to his own devices, Kirkbride produces garbage. I encourage everyone in this thread to go give C0DA a read. He needs someone to reign him in.

Attached: foxPepe.jpg (320x320, 21K)

It's beautiful. This game came out in 2011 and I'm ready for another one

>taking pride in being a normie
How far this place has fallen.

Attached: fucking_cat.jpg (565x600, 38K)

BROWN BROWN BROWN
GREY GREY GREY GREY
great game you got there morrowfag

Oblivion was bad in plenty of areas but had fun quest scenarios which was something Skyrim heavily lacked.

YUMMY YUMMY SALTRICE IN MY TUMMY
KWAMA EGGS AND ASH YAMS TOO
DOWN IT ALL WITH SUJAMMA BREW
WHILE THE CATS AND LIZARDS MAKE MY STEW

Attached: x6YLUeo.jpg (539x960, 75K)

The Oblivion Thieves' guild is my favorite questline in all of TES. The premise is really good.

Nice!

Attached: 1543951915764.jpg (550x550, 133K)

Only the first paragraph is Polygon, the rest is quotes from the developers.

And that's where you're wrong. Everyone gives clear directions, the player is simply supposed to use a physical map that came with the game

Why did he hate Vvardenfell so much?

Attached: 293px-MW_Vodunius_Nuccius.jpg (293x356, 24K)

Because they use two "v"s instead of a "w" like degenerate Skooma addicts.

He lives in a shanty village in a swamp.

Seyda Neen is lovely I mean there's Arrille's tradehouse and umm.......

Its not "bad" per se but it removed and casualized so much from the previous game its almost unforgivable in my eyes, also just straight up awful design flaws like ridiculously awful level scaling, well just level scaling in general was an awful addition that we seem to be stuck with in every TES game form hence forth.

>He lives in a shanty village in a swamp.
Vodunius Nuccius!
He's too low on INT and he smells like a scamp
Vodunius Nuccius!

Arille's Tradehouse is full of thugs and sells nothing pretty much nothing enjoyable for a commoner. Except maybe moon sugar if you're a friend of Arille.

No, skyrim was probably his first tes, that always clouds judgement of tes games. Skyrim is shit for all the same reasons oblivion is except lore.

In Oblivion and Skyrim "Here let me point it out on your map"
In Morrowind " Map?What deviltry is that?"

The streamlining a can see the distaste for but I still enjoy them as games. It's how I can still enjoy Fallout 4, despite it's butchery of the lore and gameplay of the previous games.

You're an outsider and Dunmer are highly xenophobic. Makes perfect sense that they wouldn't mark something on an outsider's map; in fact, sometimes they'll even give you incorrect directions.

Attached: axeCup.jpg (510x546, 77K)

Meanwhile Oblivion and Skyrim have indoor global positioning satellites.

Attached: Quest_markers_in_a_nutshell.jpg (567x500, 121K)

Now shivering isles is probably the best thing that came out of tes though.

So they will sort of help you? If mental gymnastics was an Olympic sport you would win gold.

The pointing to the quest objective in interiors does suck.
That is why I switch to a different quest before entering.

All of Skyrim, Thuum, draught, wulfharth, Alduin
Especially Alduin
You do realize that Skyrim had almost no lore before Morrowind and almost all of it that exists almost exclusively was created by MK?
What heimskr says is his quote of an out of game forum post which they made canon

Exactly how powerful is Alduin in lore?

You literally don't understand c0da if you say this.
Its a script for a comic and essentially an essay about fiction, it's not meant for you.

I'm fairly certain he is a mechanism of the Kalpa Cycle and when he appears it is time for the universe to be reborn, again. So pretty powerful is my guess.

Et'ada are subgradients of Anuiel and Sithis which in turn are the original souls of Airbus making up it's binary code from IS and IS Not, which in turn Et'Ada project though their respective spheres.
This is a fancy way of saying that Aedra and daedra are as powerful as their concepts that the represent are. Alduin is an avatar of Alduin just like how Mehrunes Dagon we saw was an avatar of Mehrunes Dagon, since Dagon is destruction itself, Akatosh is time itself and Alduin is the end itself.
The Alduin we fought was as powerful as we perceived him because he was not following his sphere, he wanted to rule as an emperor instead of doing what his very nature was, thus his power in that domain is great but not as powerful as Boethiah would be for example.
When Alduin is the world eater incarnate, embodying his nature, there is nothing that can stop him from eating the world since he is the end. Of course one may think of bullshit ways to outplay him but if he was ending the kalpa no one would be able to beat him in a 1 on 1 fight at all, or it seems to be that way.
The way spirits work in TES is very odd and a lot of things can affect their power at that moment.

Power is a relative concept. A daedric price is basically unbeatable in his realm when there is status quo, but when there is an invasion and merger of realms even a strong enough hero can break their form. Generally it seems that all Gods are overpowered as long as they stay in their lane, but they mostly don't since it would be boring and they want to expand their realms or do whatever metaphysical bullshit.

C0DA has two meanings
1) The comic
2) A catchall for MKs fanfics.

When used on Yea Forums it is generally the second usage.

Pretty much unstoppable since he's the inevitable end of the kalpa, even the dragonborn couldn't eat his soul. He just got kicked into the time out zone until it's time for him to do his job.

> What Heimskr says is from a forum post
Heimskr means "fool"or "idiot"in Icelandic. Apparently the devs knew what they were doing.

What exactly is MKs fanfic? Which one, describe please.
Because all of his so called fanfics were a lead to to 5th era, which was setting for c0da the comic.
He has never written literal fanfic that was irrelevant to the lore.

If it make it in game it is lore.
If it makes it in to Redd*t it is a fan fic.

It isn't rocket science.

Every time I think I understand ES lore, I realize I know nothing.

Attached: What the fug.png (1186x1180, 810K)

>dungeon walking simulator
>soul

Morrowind was a hugely ambitious shot in the dark that somehow saved the company even though it was niche and hard to get into. For Oblivion they said they deliberately made it more accessible so anyone could play it even non-RPG fans.

> Somehow
They put it on consoles.
Mystery solved Sherlock.

>He hasn't played Daggerfall

Attached: Daggerfall7.webm (640x480, 2.79M)

100% wrong, he was the lead dev for Morrowind. That said, for some reason, the entire mindset/frame changed between Morrowind and Oblivion. To roughly quote Morrowind's manual:
>If you wanna do dumb shit like killing this important character or combining skill that don't really pair well, we'll let you do so. We'll let you make mistake and it's up to you to assume that and play the game your way.

In Oblivion, it's the absolute inverse. The game hold your hand to the point you're never ever challenged. You can't kill important NPC. You can't enter high level ruins to risk your life because everybody is the same level as you. You don't have to mke build choice because your can be the boss of every single faction without skills threshold and without anyone hating your gut. They make sure every signle zone is accessible to players of any level regardless of the equipement/skill/spell/potion they have (unlike Morrowind where there's zone that are a big fuck you to your face if you can't levitate by some mean, for instance)

yeah that's some real fucking soul
hitting bad sprites until they explode into blood

Basically it's like this
Anu is everything, Padomay is his brother (possibly dead?)
Soul of Anu makes up the reality of Aurbis and the dream, his soul is Anui-el
Sithis is soul and memory of Padomay
Anuiel is everything at the same time and static, Sithis is nothing and empty thus their interplay creates vacuum and change
On a lower level in chaotic energies of Aetherius and Azure plasm Et'ada, the original spirits originate which makes up most of aedra and daedra, they are crystallized concepts as monomyth or varieties of faith referred them to
Then there are lesser Ada, weaker spirits like usual daedra and various sprites or saints
But even mortals are potentially Ada, just trapped by a mortal plane

It's always the same webm and at this point I think the people posting it haven't even played Daggerfall themselves

I did, that's how I know this. If you've only read articles about how in-depth everything is, while waiting until someone spoonfeeds you with daggerfall unity with hi-res textures and convenient controls because you are too delicate to configure dosbox, it's normal you feel this way, user

Attached: Daggerfall3.webm (640x480, 2.98M)

> You can be the head of every guild
You could in Morrowind as well. Not sure why this is a complaint.It is the way it will always be.

This is also the second most used webm.

Daggerfall has it's pros, but Morrowind is a much better designed game with a better story and setting.

That and level scaling is fucking horrible but atleast oblivion gives you something to do, all npc dialog that isn't related to a few quests is just like copy pasted articles within a brochure that you browse with keywords and the combat sucks but at least the exploration is kino except when you go in tunnels that only has those worker monster things and then you have to back track. Morrowing definitely feels more like an rpg should.

Attached: Daggerfall5.webm (640x480, 2.91M)

Wording. I should have said "faction". I couldn't said Great House because Oblivion as obviously no Great House so I said guild, thinking what I meant was obvious. Morrowind forces you to make choice, if you go Redoran, Telvani and Hlaalu will hate tour gut and close their door, and so on. Also, I'd like to point out it's much harder to become the head of every guild in Morrowind due to skill threshold requirements to advance rank, while you can become the big boss of everything in a couple hour at low level in Oblivion

Just started up Morrowind with a breton battlemage, telvanni or mages guild? I don't really feel like doing telvanni again but all I remember of the mages guild is the first few shitty quests with no reward. Does the mages guild get better or is it always shit?

>you can become the big boss of everything in a couple hour at low level in Oblivion
Takes more than a few hours unless you blow through dialog and go straight for it.

They'll help if they're feeling charitable by throwing a few words your way, but they'll never go through the effort of asking you for your journal, readying a writing instrument, and marking an important location on the map of a stranger who hasn't proven they know anything about the local culture.

Morrowind is a small island. If you need a map to navigate it, you're a tourist, and tourists are an imperial symptom.

The You must be this tall mechanic was a PitA until I realized you can just train to the point you need to be.
Sucked having to grind skills just to keep doing the guild quests.

>this poster is probably such a pleb he's being serious
Skyrim is the definition of absolute soulessness for the cod audience

Won't point to a map but will give you a thousand word description of the route you need to take.In addition they will tell you in great detail everything they know about everything if you ask.

You would not be just a Gold Medal winner you would be one of the all time greats at mental gymnastics.

Heh. I like it. It felt rewarding and a natural progression to me. It prevent you from doing a whole questline in a single sitting and become Head of a great house or archmage at level 6 with barely any magic skill. which I always found jarring in Oblivion or Skyrim. A "I'm not strong and skilled enough to be the best fuckign thief in the world ? Fine, fair enough, I'll explore, do something else and hone my skills along the way, coming back after I have proven my worth" kind of shit.

I'm fine with that.

When I was doing a faction I wanted to do that faction. Far too much jumping around doing a little here a little there for me.
The mechanics interfered with the flow of the game. When I would eventually come back to a faction I had lost track of what was going on when I had to go grind.

I wonder if TES is going to evolve backwards now that games like Dark Souls (no map, no quest markers, no hand holding of any kind) got super popular yet again.

Or are they going to go full retard with TES6?

I can only hope they add verbal directions but odds are that would be too much work to do for a big expansive world. Maybe that's whats taking them so long with the next one.