Now that the dust has settled, what went so wrong?

now that the dust has settled, what went so wrong?

Attached: the_legend_of_zelda__the_wind_waker.jpg (1192x670, 85K)

They pushed out the game a third of the way finished to sell more Gamecubes. After the first two dungeons you've literally seen all the major islands in the game. As you go on, there's more and more padding and less polish the later into the game you go, culminating in the triforce fetch quest that was so bad even Nintendo realized they fucked up and cut it from the HD remake.

Unironically this, but OP was prob expecting this to be a shitpost war till someone posted BOTW

Nothing it is timeless.

Sea Charts are mostly just there, and are like half the appeal of the sea overworld, I found it a pretty annoying game overall when you weren't going through the story.

World is too big and too empty. The infamous fetch quest was so boring that I never finished the game.

best Zelda. best original style. amazing template. most soulful Zelda game.
very disappointed in the way they were lazy with all the content though in retrospect.

/thread

I still love it though.

fpbp

Windwaker is still my favorite in spite of everything. Imagine what could have been.

Attached: Medli.png (519x569, 130K)

I wish I could find it but I'm sure there was an interview or something where Aonuma said they cut dungeons because he felt the game was getting "too long". I'm sure I didn;t imagine it and it seems like something the loony would think.

Aonuma.
Wind Waker is basically his ideal version of Zelda. More side content than main content, easy as shit, cartoonish, flashy, shallow. Every other game is a compromise. If Aonuma had his way he'd just keep making Wind Waker over and over. Instead bits and pieces of Wind Waker worm their way into the games and tend to be the worst parts about them.

I cant tell if this is fetish art or not.

Unfinished game that's 75% filler. Overrated now due to people thinking they're being contrarian in response to the backlash it received for its art style on release

The "more side content than main content worked in MM" but yeah I pretty much agree. When WW is going through the story in the beginning and the very end of the game it's really good, but everything else is a scattered mess. I can accept it being easy since most zelda games are easy now but at least theres a sense of consistency in newer zelda games, WW is all over the place with fairly high highs and super low lows.

I won’t say artstyle is a masterpiece, but somewhat decent.
The worst thing is tedious late quest to find pieces of triforce and not much sailing stuff

>More side content than main content, easy as shit, cartoonish, flashy, shallow.
you just described BOTW

Yeah but we weren't talking about BOTW.
Absolutely obsessed

Yes we were
>every other game is a compromise
clearly not true for botw

>half a game with dragged out content in attempt to give the illusion it's a full game
it's super mario sunshine/gamecube syndrome
thank fucking god nintendo makes enough money now to escape the valley of lost potential

Attached: important image.jpg (299x378, 9K)

Why would you think its fetish art?

Attached: where do you think we are.png (1067x800, 651K)

Is that sarcasm? Picking up weapons off enemies is exactly like Wind Waker except they removed your actual fucking sword. And the only item that doesn't instantly disentigrate is the notDeku leaf sailcloth. And Koroks and people having stumpy little legs and the cel shading and you get the picture.

Every game except maybe maybe Twilight Princess is just a sad attempt at making people like his baby Wind Waker.

It's kinda vorish

Whats vorish about it?

It wasn't terrible, it was just okay. I didn't find it particularly memorable, and the story suffered from not including Zelda at all and replacing her with Links sister.

>the story suffered from not including Zelda at all and replacing her with Links sister.

user...did you even finish it?

>culminating in the triforce fetch quest that was so bad even Nintendo realized they fucked up and cut it from the HD remake.
Why does this myth still go around? The Triforce Quest is still 90% in Wind Waker HD, it just doesn't cost nearly as much time and money

not enough big islands, most of the dungeons aren't fun, sailing is too slow to the point where its objectively padding, the triforce quest, braindead combat, weak puzzles
>muh cell shading muh good music wow 10/10
I dont think people who think this game is good actually value gameplay

Attached: EPIC ZELDA PUZZLE.webm (640x360, 2.52M)

It still amazes me the sort of clueless posts I see on this website

>I dont think people who think this game is good actually value gameplay
Because gameplay is overvalued in a sense. If we can be honest it's not the main reason people keep coming back to the Zelda games. There are more hardcore Adventure titles that are better designed in a lot of ways but the Zelda games have a charm that no other series seems to match with how it crafts its world and characters, and among all the Zelda games Wind Waker is the game that does these things the best.

I play Ocarina of Time when I want to go through dungeons, I play breath of the wild when I want to explore ,and I play Wind Waker when I just want to relax and enjoy myself

Attached: 38747321_p0.jpg (1533x1412, 660K)

>hair vore
well that's certainly different

Attached: 3213014323.jpg (750x524, 44K)

>Because gameplay is overvalued in a sense
holy shit that is disappointing to read. I hate this timeline. get off of my planet.

Yes, I know you're an autist that pretends to enjoy games like a robot without an ounce of emotion put into them but why don't you try reading the whole post?

I've said this alot but that is not even a "puzzle" required to beat the game. It's the equivalent of those rocks you have to push into holes in minish cap to create shortcuts.

I find it weird that people criticize WW's overworld so much even though it was infinitely better than OoT's, TP's and SS's. This fanbase always just wants more I guess.

They should honestly just remake it and actually complete it this time while also adding new shit and maybe adding the gameplay of BOTW somehow. Reuse the Link voice clips though, after WW his VA hasn't been able to sound the same as she did in WW and in games like hyrule warriors she sounds too different

Most of the stand basis too underage to appreciate the games in the context of the time in which they come out hence why no one here is aware anymore that Majora's Mask was seen as a disappointment up until about 2008 or how big of a deal it was for game to be as big as Wind Waker on a disc with minimal loading screens

>More side content than main content
Good. Zelda games with the most side content are always the best ones.

the overworld was empty and most of the islands had very little to offer, not saying I hated ww but its not as good as oot or mm

>More side content than main content
This is good though

>Post argues that gameplay is overvalued when one considers how much of Zelda's appeal comes from the presentation of it
>throws a tantrum and refuses to ignore even acknowledge the notion

I hope you realize you demonstrated exactly what the post was arguing

Ocarina of Time had the emptiest Overworld of any game I've ever played and termina was way too small. I take the great sea over either of them easily

>the overworld was empty

And yet it still had more content than the vast majority of other 3D Zelda games.

It wasn't made in Unreal.

what do you mean "arguing" gameplay is overvalued? thats his opinion, im not gonna convince him his opinion is wrong.
we can go back and forth all day about why I dont like windwaker and he does, but hes not gonna change his mind, nor am I obligated to change his mind.
so rather than throw a phone book post at him, im just gonna tell him he disgusts me, then leave.

But can you deny the fact that Zelda's presentation is what gives it the edge over arguably better adventure games? That there is not a certain emotional attachment people have to Link, Zelda, and Hyrule over non familiar settings? You can deny it if you want but it only makes you look like an idiot.

Post Tetra and Medli cunny

Are you Link?

Attached: 1564522613522.jpg (449x1024, 87K)

here's your content bro

Attached: blue-square.jpg (500x500, 13K)

There's literally nothing wrong with sailing once the Swift sail was added

I find that hard to swallow though because Ocarina was praised for more than it's atmosphere. Though the games dungeons do have their charm I think there were a few technical aspects that at the time were revolutionary for a action...whatever the fuck genre Zelda is. Just having a context senitve button for pushing or picking up objects was something that just never really came up in games of it's type before. Setting fire tot he cobweb in the first dungeon seems like small potatoes now but I remember my little mind blowing when I realised I could actually use my environment in a game for the first time.

Anyone who thinks OOT is the best 3D Zelda are a subhuman autist who can't look past basic nostalgia

Remember that part from the game where you were given the water pearl for free without doing the water dungeon?

>once the Swift sail was added

Attached: dssyroow6pk11.png (576x426, 359K)

>terrible last half/third of the game
>literally no third pearl dungeon, you get it from Jabu for shooting a wall
>a piece of heart, bottle, and triforce chart are just bought from a beedle boat. No task to do beforehand, no enemy to defeat, just hand over rupees lol
>SPLOOSH minigame is literally just RNG battleship, only you only get 4 chances and have no chance of even knowing where a boat is without just wasting a shot guessing
>cant actually go anywhere in your boat until you beat 3 dungeons
>forest temple and its stupid pod staircase sucks ass
>forsaken fortress the first time
>forsaken fortress being reused just to segway two boss fights together because AGAIN, the game was rushed
>the stupid animation that always has to play whenever you use the grappling hook on some grabbable branch/limb
>having to switch the wind like 2 times jsut to get around a reef to shoot all the cannons, then having to get out and run around the rim to get the chart
>the final ganon fight is literally just QTE's, you cant hit him yourself one single time
>some areas of the map are just completely useless: One area is just three jagged rocks just sitting upright out of the ocean, completely unclimbable, and the only thing to do there is visit a beedle boat
358 FUCKING RUPEES EVERY FUCKING TIME TO VISIT THAT FAGGOT TINGLE TO DECIPHER A CHART

But that's back in the nineties when games were regularly innovating with technology, and from a technological standpoint you could argue that wind waker is just as impressive. Considering that loading times were the biggest problem with discs compared to cartridges, the game went out of its way to craft a world that could be explored at will without stopping to load.

What I'm talking about is how people today still like to see link Zelda in Hyrule even though the series isn't an industry Trailblazer the way it used to be back when basic stuff like a 3D camera was seen as revolutionary.

cope

>You can deny it if you want but it only makes you look like an idiot.
that's actually not true, you are not an idiot for presenting your opinion. I could easily turn that around on you and call you an idiot for placing your value on something I don't value,
but that doesn't get us anywhere then we both look dumb.
When people talk about charm vs core gameplay, they always speak like they have to pick one of the other. Why is it wrong that I expect zelda to have good charm and good gameplay? Is there something wrong with this higher standard that i want out of my video games?

I for one do not value the charm of link because I do not find anything charming about link, in my opinion. in windwaker, hes a green kid with an anime face that yells while swinging a sword. Doesn't do it for me, and thats that.
if I don't think this is charming, which I don't, then I don't have a reason to think link's charm has an edge over other games. Theres nothing to prove because its my opinion, like you had your opinion. So I will happily deny that

Attached: 1551436510898.jpg (255x255, 15K)

>Why is it wrong that I expect zelda to have good charm and good gameplay? Is there something wrong with this higher standard that i want out of my video games?

I think most Zelda games have both but some have better gameplay and some have more charm, and I will switch between them depending on what I'm in the mood for.

>I for one do not value the charm of link because I do not find anything charming about link, in my opinion. in windwaker, hes a green kid with an anime face that yells while swinging a sword. Doesn't do it for me, and thats that.
Then I simply feel sorry for you and question how you managed to have fun with any of these games.

>whatever the fuck genre Zelda is.
adventure. zelda is an adventure game where you explore and fight stuff.
read a book

Asscreed black flag is a better wind waker

holding L and mashing B doesn't do it for me. Besides that, zelda is walking from chest to chest until you get the next real upgrade.

>I question how you managed to have fun with any of these games.
I didn't. if I want good music, I can just youtube the OST and not even touch a controller. I play video games for the gameplay. graphics serve to support the gameplay. thats my perspective.

>Start thread with shitpost getting angry at people for enjoying a game
>when challenged on your own opinions simply resort to IT'S MY OPINION AND YOU CAN'T DISPROVE IT, actively shutting down any attempt at interesting discourse.

Sasuga user

And that's one sad pathetic perspective to have. I sincerely pity you and your autism if you're not just trying to be ironic.

Games have story, creative visuals, and music because they're supposed to be emotional experiences. Wind Waker has a following because those things DO matter, not because they don't.

Im not OP and there was a post that already shat on the game well before i did.
the topic is to name flaws about windwaker, and I did just that.
>You can deny it if you want but it only makes you look like an idiot.
I fully admit being defensive about opinions isn't interesting, but the point had to be made after a post like that. And don't even pretend like you would like to see his opinion changed over mine.

Thing Ilike about Zelda is it never puts emphasis on one thing alone. Annoying pest eneies, puzzles and full on enemy melees can all esxist at the same time. Compare say Okami where the game clearly segregates battles into these longass things that can minutes or more while dungeons themselves are usually empty outside of fights the game forces on you.

well of course the emotional aspects of a game matter, I just didn't connect with those aspects because I don't really care for anime or chibi style designs
Its got a good ost, I just prefer something a bit more mechanically engaging. honestly, I pity you.

Then you missed the point completely. It was pointing out that the notion that most people judge games solely on game play and nothing else is a bunch of bullshit. There's no way in hell Wind Waker or Majora's Mask would be as popular as they are if that were the case and there's nothing wrong with that.

There are a lot of elements that make up an adventure game like Zelda and reducing them solely to a discussion on game mechanics is doing a disservice to them and yourself

Well that's entirely different than saying
>I dont think people who think this game is good actually value gameplay
As if these things don't exist on a spectrum and can't be judged as a collective.

Outta the way, best girl coming through.

Attached: 1450728441163.png (231x571, 44K)