The amount of nostalgia you see here is really fucking frustrating...

The amount of nostalgia you see here is really fucking frustrating. It is so obnoxious to constantly read people shitting on anything new because it "isn't like the old stuff." In most areas the video game industry has in fact IMPROVED compared to 10 years ago. I don't even want to get into specific examples because it would cause so much asspain but nearly every single genre has seen incredible releases in the past few years. And quite frankly a lot of games people hold up as the gold standard (from when they were kids) are shit and aged like milk.

Attached: 51FJ7462S4L._SX342_.jpg (342x342, 18K)

muh soul...

I don't get why people are so obsessed being 'anti-nostalgia', maybe because its clear as crystal that the industry has been a low since AA production died?

Attached: U1wiJWZ.jpg (1496x728, 175K)

Yeah, the gaming industry is doing great right now. I'd even say it's in a golden age. BUT. The Gamecube is still one of the best consoles of all time, and the 6th gen was another golden age.

Online games in each genre have only gone down hill due to casualizations.

> industry has been a low since AA production died
That's the 7th gen you're thinking of. The industry took a pretty big dip between 2005-2015, but the past few years have been great.

>clear shots directly from an emulator
>blurry color-fucked video screencaps
>:(

What improved in the last 10 years? Even if 2009 was kinda shitty.
Like, what fucking genres peaked on the 2010s?
Grand Strategy? Maybe MAYBE FPS? Battle Royale? Open World / Sandbox (Oh wait, Minecraft isn't 2010s)
Nah bro. I am 19, and while I think things are getting better, its obvious they aren't as diverse (in terms of genre, not gender identity) as they were before, and you get fewer games that are seldom better than the previous ones.

>get btfo in the other thread
>make another one

The problem isn't the blur you idiot, the problem is that instead of replicating the unique asset of the original, they reused a blander asset from a previous level, in fact, they did it multiple times with the same fucking generic sky.
Keep defending a rushed production.

Attached: Spyro_Reignited_Trilogy_20181204200149.jpg (1938x2170, 486K)

> Like, what fucking genres peaked on the 2010s
> 2D platformers
> Metroidvainias
> Survival
> Horror
> Action (seriously, try playing any pre-souls action game that isn't called Devil May Cry. They've all aged like milk)
> Story focused/"walking simulator"
Better question, what genres have gotten worse, other than 3D platformers, FPS, and competitive multiplayer?

I guess it got a bit better, but we need less focus on AAA, less focus on 'fewer better games' and for gamer entity to just fucking die and instead focus on each niche, because being a gamer makes as much sense as being a 'vehicle enthusiast' and fighting all day over whether vehicles should fly, sail or cross the land.

Whatever happened to the days when people could be proud to own games that they can flaunt and show off to their friends? Nowadays, you just own a game and nothing else. Sure, you may enjoy it, but at the end of the day, there's really no pride in owning it.

Strategy minus GSG (but GSG is going down at the moment)
Simulation
Action (I am tired of souls combat everywhere, its all the same fucking game now and I never liked Souls to begin with. I don't think it aged like milk, I like playing a new game and it feeling like a new game, I'd rather have a clunky unique system than another fucking nu-action game)
JRPG
CRPG
I guess fighting is a bit better now than 2009.
Open World
Plus there is barely any misc or hard to classify games anymore like there were in the 90s to mid 2000s

Graphics raised up costs
higher costs made companies seek wider audiences
a focus on wider reaches means focusing less on doing things in depth, but wide accessible focuses
This means you no longer get to get lost in a game that does a niche thing you really like, everything is standardised, you can like a game but you won't love it, and why would you tell your friends about a game they already know anyway?

> Simulation
Seems like every month I see a new simulation game on Steam. Cities: Skylines, Two Point Hospital, Frostpunk. Not really my genre, but they all seem to get good ratings. Are none of those to your liking?
> I am tired of souls combat everywhere
There are still great action games with combat that I wouldn't consider "Souls-like" like Nier Automata, but it's nice to have Souls like combat as a fallback template for how to at least make a passable combat system for devs that don't know what they're doing. The influence of souls has made the action genre a lot better.
> JRPG
> CRPG
Not really my genre so I can't comment
> Open World
I won't argue with you there lol
> Plus there is barely any misc or hard to classify games anymore like there were in the 90s to mid 2000s
Play some indie games. There are plenty of misc games if you're looking for them

He was objecting your comparison not being clean, idiot

>This means you no longer get to get lost in a game that does a niche thing you really like, everything is standardised

This is the worst part about modern gaming imo. Most modern games are generic and bland as fuck.

>since AA production died
literally never happened. japan is still making aa games.

>JRPG
the late 2000s were FAR worse for jrpgs than the current era. like, it's not even close.

Here is a clear picture of the level

Attached: 45745565_203509060567765_1045886370725105487_n.jpg (1080x607, 73K)

lol fucking zoomer, you were a fucking sperm cell during 9/11, you dont know what you're talking about especially about games

One more, another level, with the same re-used sky in Reignited.

Attached: onemore.jpg (757x822, 88K)

Even though there are a ton of great new titles out now, it's still difficult to get past a lot of the bullshit the industry has introduced like mandatory updates, billions of dlc packs, and loot boxes. Before any of this, before games were mainstream and there wasn't so much money involved, and before when devs had to really put the time and effort into making titles work with technical limitations, the scene had a much different feel to it. I enjoyed the Ps3 and 360, but I stuck with the DS and PSP because that's where many devs went to work on games that didn't have the expectations of the AAA scene. They could still work on passion projects and it wasn't a massive risk to publishers. It was just a different time and I liked it better because I'm 30 and don't have time to play anything more in depth than starfox 64. Also pre-rendered backgrounds were the shit.

Attached: 1564541466224.gif (500x375, 98K)

Yes, everything has improved in the last decade because the previous gen was a low point for gaming as a whole. Are modern games better than games from the lates 90s and early 2000s? For the most part, no.

4th Gen>6th Gen>3rd Gen>8th Gen>5th Gen>7th Gen>2nd Gen>1st Gen

Basically this. The prolific rise of Triple A games as a Hollywood style worldwide entertainment juggernaut during the Xbox 360 gen sucked the soul out of big budget games. Nowadays low budget indies and handheld games are the only place where you can still find creative passion.

Is but 3rd below 8th and 5th but otherwise this is spot on.

>In most areas the video game industry has in fact IMPROVED compared to 10 years ago
It has improved in one area: visual fidelity. Literally everything else has noticeably decreased in quality over the last ten years.

Certainly not the worst ordering I've seen, but I'd reverse the order of the first few. For me it's
8>6>4>7>5>3>2>1
The even numbered gens (other than 2) are the good ones. The odd numbered gens are the bad ones, but still get better chronologically. I honestly think we're at peak gaming right now, though the 6th gen was pretty damn close

It might be a bit frustrating and difficult for you to understand OP, but what you value in video games (realistic animations, lifelike graphics, online multiplayer, tightly woven stories) are not what video games used to be about. That’s why older people who grew up with a different type of game are disappointed with the current state of the industry.

We grew up with gameplay as the sole focus. Gameplay was arcadey and usually left the player in control at most times. Nowadays many games are more like carnival rides or interactive movies that leave zero room for freedom or player control, and are instead focused on railroading you through linear set pieces to deliver the story they want to tell. It’s fine if that’s what you like, but for us, that’s never what games were about. If I wanted that I would watch a film or TV series instead.

>8th as the best
We’ve had a few good games this gen, but putting it above the PS2 gen or SNES gen is just ridiculous

If that's truly what you want, you should be in hog heaven with the current omipresence of open world and physics simulation games. I think we've gone way too far in that direction and need to go back to games with more focus and linearity.

Its not everything new just 90% of it. For better or worse I'm curious about what Dicky Kojimbo has cooking and Astral Chain looks neat but the vast majority of games are literally soulless and focused entirely on "touch points" like Anton from church camp.

Picked up 7 games for $30 over there at the Based Replay and I'm set for another few months. Nows the time to get your PS3 collection done bros.

Attached: index.jpg (300x168, 10K)

The ONLY correct order is as follows:
4>3>6>5>7>8>2>1

> 8 below 3 and 5
Top fucking kek. Take off your nostalgia goggles grandpa. The set of indie games that came out any given year since 2014 are better than the entire library of the NES

>8th generation is the best
Fucking what? How in the world does that make sense? Are you just riding on your god of war 4 and red dead revolver 3s?

Attached: images (1).jpg (234x215, 7K)

Blessed post

>We grew up with gameplay as the sole focus. Gameplay was arcadey and usually left the player in control at most times. Nowadays many games are more like carnival rides or interactive movies that leave zero room for freedom or player control, and are instead focused on railroading you through linear set pieces to deliver the story they want to tell. It’s fine if that’s what you like, but for us, that’s never what games were about. If I wanted that I would watch a film or TV series instead.

You just described every game PS2 era and back. "Player Freedom" is a recent meme. Games progressed in one direction broken up by puzzles and combat.

And rail shooters, the literal ones, kick ass.

Attached: 1f82baee7c62f7a7ff77492c1be3ef1a.jpg (784x1024, 187K)

I still love this console and the only reason I bought it (initially) was to play Starcraft: Ghost

>stop liking things that are not current year

No, literally no good western AAA game has been released this generation. But indies and Japan have been enough to carry it to glory on their own.

Starcraft Ghost was Xbox you fruit.

Attached: ghost.jpg (418x555, 79K)

>Oh god, I'm a stupid nigger

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 9.40.48 PM.png (1564x450, 155K)

It’s about openness of gameplay, not openness of level structure. I want to be able to jump at any time. I want to be able to spin around 360 degrees whenever I want. These days devs are so concerned with making things “cinematic” and “realistic” that they’re terrified to ever let you have full control of your charachter, lest you do something that looks goofy and ruins their perfectly crafted atmosphere.