What is the surströmming of vidya?

What is the surströmming of vidya?

Attached: A03454D8-03F0-4B63-BAE2-6471F5759E56.jpg (1280x720, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wmu7bHj81WI
youtube.com/watch?v=kDr0Kbbw6D0
foodie.fi/products/search2?term=hapansilakka
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What even is surstromming?

loli visual novels. once you open one you start to smell really really bad

Like canned fish I think

Anthem

Rotten canned fish

Fermented canned fish

Fish that has been fermented for at least 6 months, but usually for years. It's illegal to open a can of it indoors in Sweden.

It's also been banned on several airlines for potentially "explosive" cans.

Duke Nukem Forever

>not opening it up underwater and eating it plain
rookie mistake

Uncharted

>not liking surströmming
fuck off reddit

>eating it plain
Isn't that like eating a spoon of cinnamon?

youtube.com/watch?v=wmu7bHj81WI

I do that every day though?

>It's illegal to open a can of it indoors in Sweden.
Maybe if you live in a faggy suburb or commie block apartment complex.

Fuck off Ahmed

europoor delicacy that they try to convince you is good but is on par with great depression era food

Didn’t a man get evicted for how horrible it smells?

Probably monster hunter world. Literally made me barf.

Fermented herring.
The smell is very strong, as a kid it was so bad I could barely stay in the same room, or even in the same house where a can of it had been opened, but after that it wasn't so bad and I've gotten used to it. Adults screaming and running away from it are probably exaggerating.
The taste isn't so bad, very salty, an acquired taste for sure, I kept eating it mostly to annoy my siblings. I'm not sure if my dad and grandfather genuinely liked the stuff or if it was all part of some long troll that I'm now taking part of.

deadly premonition

Reminder

Attached: american culture.webm (500x280, 2.75M)

girl at 0:04 tho

Can someone shop MGSV onto the can

Is there any Swedish user that can actually explain in short what is the appeal of this food or how the tradition started? Im sure there must be some non-culinary explanation to eating rotten fish

Tbf I would destroy that black whale

Can anyone compare it to lutefisk?

Dwarf Fortress

i want to fuck a dwarf

Lutefisk smells better but somehow tastes worse. Idk what it is with northern europeans but their food is fucking nasty.

I kinda like it, you know, once a year.

Lutefisk is just an excuse to drink akevitt

Is it anything like sauerkraut?

Fukken love that, too. Like gin and whiskey had a bastard idk. Both make me think of Christmas.

No, sauerkraut is edible, this is something on another level

Lord in heaven please, let me sink into the endless folds of that succulent ebony hambeast planetoid braphog goddess

Attached: 1563665415333.jpg (1400x1050, 175K)

Dark Souls 2

High test

Didn't she die from a heart attack?

surströmming, lutefisk and akevitt all taste like ass. Most oldschool scandinavian dishes are actually nasty as hell, pic related

t. norwegian user

nah, sauerkraut is made of fermented kale or something. Surströmming is stinky fermented fish

Attached: smalahove.jpg (300x168, 9K)

Earthbound zero.

>not liking all kinds of alcohol

Not a real norwegian

Is that horse or something?

Eww

Pls no ;_;

Too bad, I love sauerkraut, but realize not many foreigners are accustomed to it.
I thought it was something similar.
Sauerkraut is just fermented raw cabbage.

Why is your food all fermented garbage?

As an American in Finland the first thing I did when I went to a Finnish grocery was buy a jar of fermented herring cause I'd heard how horrible it was. It was horrible, but because I had no money I ate the whole thing and ended up liking it.
I still buy a packet or two of salmiakki from Amazon every now and again 'cause I acquired a taste for it there.
Also cloudberry jam.
Also juustoleipa.
Also those salty pancakes.
And damn if I didn't love the sauna. Damn. I miss Finland.

Sheeps head. Smalahove. Its a meme dish. No one actually eat that stuff anymore, at least as far as I know.

In the midwestern US sauerkraut is somewhat common due to the many people of german descent.

every real american puts kraut on their hot dog

How is Salmiakki an aquired taste? It's delicious. Do Americans not like liquorice or something?

Only mustard and onion belong on a hot dog

Just a prank

>not putting both those with kraut

Yes, americans despise licorice generally. I personally think it tastes bitter.

That's smalltime user. Real norwegians drink beer, smoke hash and eat shrooms like our viking ancestors

Nah it's a goats head, which is somewhat of a delicacy in the northern parts of norway where everyone is inbred and don't know how to cook

Sheeps head, and its from the western part. Northerners eat fish.

y'all are missing out

Attached: djungelvrål.png (600x844, 652K)

I don't know about other real nordics, but surströmming is actually delicious. Many think I am crazy but me and my family are eating these with no trouble at all. And no, it is not illegal to open one of these cans anywhere in Sweden.

Why does any european country that doesn’t speak a romance language have repulsive cuisine?

What is pierogi of vidya?

Can hardly grow grapes and olives up here

Skyrim, soft and easy to get into but kinda bland unless you add things to it.

Not bad, not bad. It needs to be a game that has an inexplicable Indian flair, though. For the curry which has somehow become standard for pierogi.

You liked it since the first time you eat it?

What is the top ramen of video games

>curry with pierogi
Must be what’s done in europe, here in the US usually it has mushrooms or onions in it

Football manager

i link people to this video for the appeal

youtube.com/watch?v=kDr0Kbbw6D0

From time to time my common sense will leave me and I will buy a lot of these and my shit will be pure black for a day or two and my mouth will feel like I've been eating sand paper and it probably does not treat my insides well.
But I love them.

>Adults screaming and running away from it are probably exaggerating

same kind of retards who try Marmite for the first time by slathering it bread on by the spoonful wondering why is tastes so horrible

That should be reserved for something nearly exclusively European, especially Western.

It was strange and stinky the first few times. But after a while you get used to it.

What is the sopa de macaco of vidya

>the first thing I did when I went to a Finnish grocery was buy a jar of fermented herring cause
what a lying nigger you are
you don't find fermented herring in any grocery store, you basically have to order it from sweden/norway or find a specialized store that carries it off-shelf

Funkar, men det är ej mitt favorit godis. Ahlgren's bilar för mig.

LoL

looks so much better the way he prepares it
I'll think about it the next time I eat it

Tibia

During the 16th century, Sweden was sorely lacking salt due to our warring with the rest of Europe. Thus, strömming (herring I think) was stored with way less salt than usual, leading to its fermentation.
It was a cheap way of storing food, basically. Though it caught on and it's still eaten today. I don't like it, but some do. Maybe a 50/50 split, with the aging population liking it more than young people.

haha bög

Food preservation, user. Back in the time there was no fridge. Basislly the same reason the Chinese eat rotten eggs in prepubescent boys' piss.

>Back in the time there was no fridge
there was snow though

>you're suppose to clean the fish with water
>every single eating challenge video just eats the fish straight out from the can
Geeee I wonder why they think it taste awful and makes them puke.

Attached: jimmieman (1).jpg (490x3364, 2.12M)

Marmite/vegemite though does taste pretty terrible

based

quick google shows discussions on which grocery stores in finland has it, maybe they just don't have it in your local grocery store

It's just poverty version of regular pickled herring. Pretty gross, but I do like pickled herring.

VrChat

As expected of Americans

Attached: jimmies.jpg (299x200, 14K)

Americans give us Nordics shit for our weird foodstuffs while they eat corn dogs and drink Coke for breakfast.
Focus on the good things in life instead, like pic related

Attached: kottbullar-med-potatismos-och-graddig-loksas.jpg (1200x630, 62K)

dwarf fortress.

>looks like shit
>plays like shit
>learns how to play it
>hey thats pretty good/10

you're not supposed to eat the whole fucking fish dumbass, you gut it and scrape the good bits on bread with toppings. dumbass tanks

It's good if you use a little on toast with butter or adding to beef stews. Eating it thick on a crack will obviously taste vile

How are we supposed to know about these mickey mouse dishes? Not like any civilized people eat them.

>looks like shit
>plays like shCRASH
>let me try again
>plays lCRASH
>well fuck what the hell
>plaCRASH
>fuck this
My experience with Dorf

You eat people?

its literally not carried anywhere as a main stay, even in helsinki
Lutefisk on the other hand is probably sold on most bigger markets all-year round

Fermentation and pickling are ways to store food for the winter before refrigeration, and in a lot of these countries there's like a meter of snow on top of everything all winter, so good luck getting anything to eat that you didn't prepare beforehand.

Fermentation in general just floods a food with non-harmful bacteria that creates acid byproducts which kill other bacteria, keeping the food safe to eat. There's a lot of foods that are fermented that you wouldn't think of being fermented, like cheese, and sausages too.

Nobody actually eats corn dogs for breakfast. Usually it’s eggs, bacon or sausage, and biscuits, waffles or pancakes. Also mostly we drink coffee or orange juice

thank you for your service.

desu i haven't actually played more than americans have tasted surströmming. therefore my comparrison

I used swedish meatballs as pizzatopping. Was actually based.

Sonic '06

Read the instructions. It's not like you can pick that stuff up at walmart so if you made the effort to get some you might as well take the extra step

>eating breakfast
good goy

At least my children will live long enough to work a job

oops seems like you posted the wron pic there bröther.

Attached: sillboken-2018-ragstektstromming-med-lingon-700x700.jpg (700x700, 131K)

Gothic 1 and 2

>Eating it thick on a crack

what kind of kinky shit do aussies get up to wtf

Attached: 1408682085280.gif (250x250, 1.51M)

I'm exaggerating.
But corn dogs really are disgusting.

Your children with be named ahmad too

Dunno, I fell in love with Gothic from the first minutes of the game.

>even in helsinki
Stockmanns food department according to previously mentioned discussion found through google

While I don't personally enjoy it, some family members do. And it's not actually that disgusting if you eat it the way it's supposed to be eaten, just an acquired taste.

First off it's the half rotten salty water in the can that's truly foul. Normally you'd open the can underwater and basically rinse all the fish off, then you strip the pieces so you only have the flesh. You'd eat it on flatbread with boiled potatoes, onions, various other things. This all neutralizes the taste somewhat and makes it much more appealing. From what I remember it's a similar salty/tangy taste to moldy cheese. You'd also eat it together with copious amounts of alcohol.

It started because ye olde fishermen in the baltic sea would catch herrings in the spring when they were most numerous and large. Fish (and meat in general) had to be salted to be stored for long periods before refrigeration was a thing, but salt was expensive. So someone got the bright idea to put just enough salt in the barrels so that the fish didn't rot, but didn't preserve them perfectly either, it fermented. They buried the barrels for 6+ months and then ate it as described above. Simple and cheap way to store the fish until later in the year when it was needed.

Attached: DeoKD_SXkAAvhpl.jpg (1200x1080, 208K)

You got it right this time.
But yeah, it's a great alternative if you're low on cash

Don't mind me, just posting the most traditional and Swedish dish there is.

Attached: Pizza.jpg (800x600, 125K)

Breakfast is actually extremely redpilled, nice try semyon.

These are made by sand niggers right?

Attached: 137593505136.jpg (240x320, 17K)

I know our situation but we will still be a majority white country in the foreseeable future dude.
"White" Americans are on their way out

>not Oskars Surströmming
I bet you're from stockholm too you fucking 08

>be retarded
>trust a random forum post from specific month from 7 years back
choose both

In commiefornia. My state is 85% white and red as they come

Figured it was common sense to not eat the scales of a fish, just like you're not supposed to eat the shell of the french delicacy of snails.

Fuck immigration but damn their pizza is so good.

French people are funny.

>banana
>traditional

Attached: reinfeldt.png (200x300, 62K)

I kid you not that most americans would be confused if they bought fish with scales, most is already descaled and some even pre fried.

oops i meant
>no banana
>traditional

Is this kebab pizza?

>banana
??

Attached: jimmie2.gif (400x286, 1.03M)

It's not that bad, you're not supposed to eat it straight outta the can like that

American faggots take an entire fillet out of the can and down the whole thing and wonder why they vomit everywhere. It's a condiment you retards, you eat a little bit at a time on bread, you don't eat a whole jar of mayo at once

No kebab on there, but otherwise you're basically right

>you don't eat a whole jar of mayo at once

Attached: westernpiggu.jpg (250x216, 10K)

It's not illegal

It started as a preservation method

you must be joking

its swedish french fry pizza (without banana)

>he doesn’t eat a whole jar of mayo at once
Why are europeans such faggots?

BASED Amerimutts.

Attached: 1520138175713.webm (540x360, 2.91M)

>yuropoors can't afford to eat a whole jar of mayo

Butter from natural free grazing cows is the healthiest thing known to man.

Not gonna lie, that looks good as fuck.

is that mayo or butter? or some amerimutt style non-butter butter-lookalike made with corn?

Comfiest /int/ thread in a while, it only needed to be away from that shithole
Same with this shithole and vidya, really makes you think

oh god, butterburgers

Fucking disgusting

1. I'm American and that shit is disgusting.
2. You're jealous of our waste.

>sweden
>pizza without banana
you must be joking

Prisma lists fermented herring on their site. Are they just lying? Kind of wanted to try it out now.

>Prisma lists fermented herring on their site. Are they just lying?
you can order most foods to the specified shop (1-7days) but they do not carry them on the shelf 99% of the time
you can find them on the webshops and such 100% of the time but you have to order it to that specific location or whatever to actually buy it.
link to the specified shop?

half life 2

ngl I'd try one but it would be the only meal I'd eat all day

yes its a type of fruit. you might have eating it cold when your mom brings you "ice cream" to your hot basement

Attached: SVT-Debatt-7-sep-2018-Sjostedt.gif (400x354, 849K)

Imagine sushi but rotten to shit and in a can

foodie.fi/products/search2?term=hapansilakka
here you go

Seething obsession.

Why would I trust you?
Your claim is extreme, that there's no food store in the entire country that sells it, and therefore the previous user was lying.
From five seconds of googling I can find a second person claiming that you can buy it in at least 1 store in the country.
For your claim to hold any weight you'd have to be intimately familiar with every single food store in the country, whereas they only need to know of one (1) that sells it.

Oh and its listen in Kouvola and Lappeenranta at least.

>part of some long troll that I'm now taking part of
kek, and they say Swedes don't have any sense of humor. How does it compare to kippers?

Attached: NWq08dz_d.jpg (640x360, 29K)

I FUCKING HATE AM*RICANS SO MUCH I WANT TO PUT 9 BULLETS ON A AM*RICAN HEAD NOW

Attached: Swedistan.webm (720x1280, 1.7M)

i love licorice, send me some finnbro
send mämmi too

Hahaha, fucking Americans and their butter
>dumps three liters of olive oil on food

No, poverty good here was bark bread, which is basically as bad as Haitian mud cookies in terms of nutrition

>Insult europe
>Europeans talk back
>Muh obsession
Americans should be gassed.