Why were Gamecube Discs so small?

Attached: disc_back.jpg (500x365, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSnJfothJ3pputcek1Q5Vd2eI92wkSMgOeArKXfQhes3YbuAzy
youtube.com/watch?v=G7VZhlV6K4k
youtube.com/watch?v=c_69rBtxG1k
youtu.be/kOBKXcn-yQg?t=179
youtu.be/_wnNkwRPq5U?t=408
youtube.com/watch?v=IF1x8rYS3ls
forum.beyond3d.com/threads/strengths-and-weaknesses-of-gamecube-relative-to-its-peers-spawn.59940/page-2
forum.beyond3d.com/threads/was-gc-more-or-less-powerful-than-ps2-spawn.52550/
youtube.com/watch?v=1Qsb7s_knsQ
youtu.be/T-SV2QxzBTw
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/344979620/#344986724
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

THIS LOOKS LIKE A FUCKEN CHOCLATE CHIP COOKEH

Anti-piracy

Less distance for the laser to travel so less load times.

something something manly tears

So they wouldn't need to use as much grafix.

Attached: consider_the_following.jpg (500x502, 58K)

because nintendo always think of a way to gimp their technology in some ridiculous way so that multiplatform games look the worst on their system.

because they were cheap bastards that couldn't afford real discs

This and they also didn't want to pay royalties to the DVD consortium which Sony is a part of.

Hey Manly Tears, you dropped your laser disc.

Bad logic. If they didn’t want to then they wouldn’t have used their resources to use a stronger gpu than the ps2.

Gamecube games often looked better than PS2 though. It wasn't until the Wii where their hardware was significantly weaker than the competitionm

i don't think current era Yea Forums understands these jokes anymore.

Even though it's the same size as a miniDVD. Panasonic developed the media for Nintendo.

I had a gamecube in my childhood, and the fact that the smaller discs could only hold half as much data as regular discs triggered my autism.
Whenever I played a video game, such as Mario Sunshine, Smash Bros., or Windwaker, I kept wondering how much bigger and better they could have made the game on a regular sized disc.

Attached: 311112.jpg (1147x825, 118K)

If they wanted to make a bigger game, they'd just add a second disc.

Attached: Enter-the-Matrix-Nintendo-Gamecube-Video-Game-Complete.jpg (400x267, 31K)

Also maybe just to be a bit different from the competition. but yea mainly antipiracy and no royalties

Attached: 250px-Universal_Media_Disc,_an_optical_disc_medium_developed_by_Sony_for_use_on_the_PlayStation_Port (250x248, 14K)

based

umd was very based if that's the right word to use here

Gamecube cant read dicks.

What is your most rare gamecube game? I found an AC copy for 5 bucks in a retro game bargain bin.

>personality
>royalties
>piracy

I like when you put a Gamecube disc in a Wii it's like a shark eating a school of fish anyone get that feel?

Resident Evil 2 on N64 is complete ass

So they could fit more comfortably into your ass

The Metroid Prime/Wind Waker combo

Sold my old wii. Then years later bought another one. Didn't know that they made version without gc disc support, so can't slide small discs in to drive and play

nintendo finally had to switch to discs, but they still didn't want to abandon their business model of using proprietary media and nickel-and-diming third parties with high royalty fees.

To make japs feel big

smaller discs -> spins faster -> more graphics

thats not how it works user...

Did it work?

Don’t knock it till you try it

Shut the fuck up faggot

I found a copy of gauntlet dark legacy inside the box for soul calibur two at a thrift store.

As far as running unauthorized Gamecube copies on a Gamecube when it was on the market?

Yes pretty well.

It worked flawlessly.

feeble attempt at anti-piracy that did more harm than good for the company

how many GC discs would this need?

Attached: 51SV62HXM1L._SY445_.jpg (315x445, 44K)

It would be the same if you use redundant data on a bigger disk.

Two with a ton of free space and that's implying they couldn't come up with a 1.5 capacity disc for it.

these discs where like 1.5 gigs at the time right?
GTA SA used the full double layer DVD

One for Story, Another for Multiplayer.

>console San Andreas
>MP

Because it was a console made for children. It was a fisher price console.

to match the target audience's penis size

Shit nigga your hands are HUGE

YOUR discs is so small

these things held 1.8GB whilst at the same time most DS carts were 128MB, so yeah I'd say they were based

It would be easy enough to fit the whole game world on a single disc. The big space hogs at the time were audio and FMVs. The game hasn't virtually zero of the second, but tons of the first.

While it would sound simple to just split the main story voice overs multiple disc, there also the fact there is a ton of voice side quests that are doable at any time. I guess you'd have to just force the player to disc swap if they went back and did them.

They could probably fit the whole thing on a single disc if they completely cut the radio stations and some side quest dialogs.

>He hasn't played the PS2 version with 2 players

Son, you missed out.

Why was there no good games for the psp with that much space.

Dissidia and its sequel. Those were just about the only good PSP games that weren't ports or remakes though

>GTA SA used the full double layer DVD
ROM sites have it at 2.33 GB for the PS2 version, the Xbox LIVE version is only 2.05 GB for an upscale and the PS4 port is only 3.21 GB, San Andreas has a big map, but it's not like there were a ton of unique or high res textures.

To make sure publishers are sure to purchase the storage through Nintendo. That's why they ALWAYS go proprietary. Don't listen to people when they say it's for anti-piracy. They don't want publishers going to their own vendors to purchase discs. You want to release a game on a Nintendo system? Then you got to purchase the discs/cartridges through them.

I don't think they counted on autists shoving jagged cut up CD-Rs into the machine.

Why are gamecube discs so prone to failure? Even the slightest scratches cause could not read errors. Did Nintendo just no know how to manufacture discs? Wii U discs are also absurdly fragile unlike all other bluray medias.

Attached: gc-disc.jpg (4032x3024, 1.57M)

Even if you have fudge brownies inside

to match ur dick lol

Kind of funny that GameCube has powerful hardware, but was gimped by the mini disc’s data size. All to battle piracy.

i have double dash with the zelda collectors disc

The gamecube was actually the worst console that generation in terms of power. Even the Dreamcast was more advanced in some ways which is really unfair to the dreamcast because it's basically hardware a year older than the n64.

>That's why they ALWAYS go proprietary
As opposed to paying royalties to let Snoy use their consoles are a Trojan Horse for CD/DVD/BluRay? Sounds good to me.

imagine thinking this is how any of it works lol

after being burned by sony with the SNES CD they raged so hard they decided to use panasonic's betamax equivalent of the DVD so as not to pay any DVD royalties to sony

Dude, I have had a gamecube since 2005 and never, ever seen a disc like the one in your picture, because I had never seen a cracked disc until I saw your pic.
Your disc is not scratched. Your disc is broken, you lardass hag.

I wouldn't say flawlessly, but it worked well enough.

If a anti-piracy scheme was actually "flawless" it would be A.) impossible to circumvent and B.) would be completely invisible to and the customers and developers. The Smaller discs were both pirate-able (pic related) and reduced the storage size (IE 4.7GB or 8.5GB per disc on PS2/Xbox and only 1.5GB per disc on Gamecube) of the discs available to developers meaning games like RE4 which were two discs on Gamecube only needed one when ported to PS2. The Gamecube versions of several multiplatform games got shafted in texture resolution despite having more graphical horsepower than the PS2 merely because they didn't have the same amount of available space on the disc.

So while it wasn't a blunder or completely ineffective, and you could argue was a success if your only criterion for success was how adverse to piracy your platform ended up being you could say it worked well, but if you consider the grander scope and that the sales they lost from the bad reputation they received from lackluster ports due mainly to that reduced disc capacity compared to their competitors probably did more damage to the console's overall sales than the success of actually stopping piracy had on developers siding with Nintendo over PS2/Xbox which were generally much easier for people to pirate games on you get a clearer picture of the actual weight of that decision. Because at the end of the day Gamecube wasn't the success Nintendo intended it to be and marked an all time lowpoint for Nintendo when they lost not only their Crown to Sony but came in third behind Microsoft a very humbling place to be after just a short while ago being the undisputed king, that smaller disc was partially to blame for the Gamecubes failure, it wasn't the only one but it did contribute and I'd say it hurt the platform more than it helped. Had the Gamecube come out with the 4.7 GB / 8.54 GB Wii Optical disc instead they might not have been 3rd.

Attached: burned Gamecube games.jpg (1280x720, 54K)

>The gamecube was actually the worst console that generation in terms of power
No. It just didn't beat the others in every catagory like the Xbox, but the PS2 and Dreamcast weresn't running games that looked as good as Metroid Prime, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Star Fox Adventures and well, we saw what happened when the PS2 tried to run Resident Evil 4.

PSO 1&2 Plus

Imagine thinking presenting no argument is a worthwhile post.

Gamecube discs in particular suffer from cancer, the most common issues are with twin snakes but they're all prone to it. Nintendo just doesn't know how to manufacture optical media. I work in a retro game store, handle literally thousands of discs a year, hundreds of which are gamecube games. Only system with a failure rate that high on the media is gamecube. It's a shame too, they sell for a lot because Nintendo fans will pay for it.

Attached: another dead gamecube disc.jpg (1280x720, 180K)

Path of Radiance and the RE2/3 ports

>we saw what happened when the PS2 tried to run Resident Evil 4.
A poor, rushed port that barely utilized the VPUs. ICO alone looks better than any gamecube game. We all know what happened when the gamecube tried to run burnout 3. Oh wait, we don't because according to the developers the port was cancelled because it couldn't run it.

>the little sounds of a well oiled machine spinning during load times after a tight Dissidia fight
I feel good just thinking about it

Attached: 1394143625837.png (579x482, 462K)

its because the cases are fucking awful and take way too much force to pull the discs out of compared to other consoles. the stress carries over to the disc and you eventually get that picture.

What if it is not the disc, but the condition in which the uppermost layer of plastic is stored?
The cracks in both pictures seems to avoid unstickered areas.

So Manly Tears can play video games.

That’s a direct ps1 port you retard

Was Path of Radiance always rare or was Ike being such a chad in smash the reason why it skyrocketed in value?

I dug my PSP out of the closet and have been playing it, I forgot how comfy the UMDs were to be honest.

Why specifically is Twin Snakes so prone to it?

Attached: ul1uZjc.jpg (848x1136, 119K)

No one bought it when it originally released but now FE is in with normalfags.

Humidity likely plays a part in it, it could be from oxidization of the screening layer. I think this is unlikely personally.

It's an artificially rare game, like Earthbound which sold over a million units.

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSnJfothJ3pputcek1Q5Vd2eI92wkSMgOeArKXfQhes3YbuAzy
This is your brain on Snoy.

Based. Only zoomer redditors hate on umds after watching an eceleb call umds bad.

the first print run it got was especially faulty. Nintendo just did not give a fuck about the manufacturing on that one. Mostly impacts that game. No idea what went wrong during manufacturing.

unbased newfags

Nobody gave the slightest shit about Fire Emblem until Brawl/Awakening.

Earthbound only sold 100k IIRC.

>It's an artificially rare game
How the fuck can games in circulation of the general public be artifically rare?
>like Earthbound which sold over a million units.
>EarthBound originally received little critical praise from the American press,[14][38] and sold poorly in the US:[16][34][38] around 140,000 copies, as compared to twice as many in Japan

not touching that one.

1.1M, it was a success but not the success they thought it would be. Still an insanely expensive game to produce with all the secondary material and the contents of the cart PCB.

I'd say Gale of Darkness or maybe Baten Kaitos

AND THE REASON... *wheeze*
IT'S CALLED THE NINTENDO SHITCUBE...
*long pause*
IT'S A PIECE OF FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!

>Why were Gamecube Discs so small?

because nintendo are cheap ass motherfuckers.

>140k
that's not really rare at all

Neither are rare.

You should probably go through your gamecube collection again and validate all your discs one by one. validate the disc and compare it to the CRC-32, MD5, SHA-1 Checksums from Redump. Almost 80% of gamecube discs will have an error of some kind but still be playable, it might manifest as an odd sound hiccup, an odd texture, or some other completely minor glitch or be completely invisible so that's why you should always do a full validation but sometimes it might render a game unplayable after you reach a certain point in the game or cause the game to randomly crash now and then.

Just because your game boots and you didn't notice anything when you played it for an hour doesn't mean it's 100% valid. It could have some bad sectors and while they're not immediately noticeable or as bad as that picture ALL gamecube discs with time will only get worse. Trying to find a valid Twin Snakes disc that completely matches the MD5 is already damn near impossible in the wild for example.

Attached: twinsnakes.jpg (2679x1385, 477K)

>tfw you still watch Manly Tears streams regularly and he's the only streamer you can stand besides Charls Carroll and the fapkino that is Eugenia Cooney

Attached: Feel_b4302f_5380044.png (500x454, 134K)

They intended to give the game a snakeskin texture and a limited lifespan which was reflective of the themes of the game. It's actually really deep and intentional.

Attached: pokemon-mew-151-cd-pc-mac-compatible-mini-disc-nintendo-official-complete.jpg (800x600, 246K)

What will happen frequently is you'll get CRE's. It may be on the second round of melee classic mode, or loading the metal gear hangar in twin snakes, but CRE's are the most common error. Xboxes have clock cap issues, DCs have dying lasers, PS2's get DRE's but man. Gamecube discs do NOT last. That and their lasers are going kaput now too.

i remember during the mid 360 era the cases turned into the cheap flimsy plastic with a different middle piece to hold the disc. it cause multiple disks of mine to crack in the middle of the disk. luckily only 1 of them actually stopped working because of the cracking reaching the actual data

Attached: shit case.png (600x450, 467K)

It is when it's a game that people still want.

>1.1M

Where the actual shit are you getting these numbers from, are you including Virtual Console/Mother 2 on SFC or something? Literally multiple sites saying the SNES release of EB sold 140k.

Earthbound just isn't a game worth playing really. It's a boring RPG with poorly implemented mechanics, a story that gets high off its own farts with its disgusting level of referential material, and the fourth wall break is handled laughably bad.

>What will happen frequently is you'll get CRE's.
I realize that but what you usually hear from people, especially people who want to sell their gamecube games is something along the lines of "I put the game in my cube and it plays; therefore it works perfectly" which usually isn't the case. Unless you do a full validation you can't know for certain if every bit and byte on that disc is reading the way it should. Which means the people who already have faulty discs don't even know it because it boots and it plays and that's their only measure for if it works or not.

>had one of these as a kid
>never found out what was inside because at the time I only had a shitty windows 95
Tell me its contents fellow user.

Attached: 1565547568861.jpg (824x579, 85K)

Who asked?

This is my shitbox 1, this is my shitbox 2, this is my shitbox 3; and it doesnt even work!

>user it was about saving the planet! Don't you know those plastics cases use oil!
>Who cares if your little game discs get broken those aren't important it uses less plastic and that's a good thing
>Hold on let me dispose of this single use plastic drinking container and then drive my hummer to the butcher shop to pick up some stakes for dinner.

fpbp

Why would anyone want a bad game like earthbound?

It unlocks the Mew under the truck by putting your RBY cartridge in the CD drive along with the disk

To fit in the very small gamecube

to fit in japanese hands

I don't hate these but I never understood them.

Attached: 1549245237904.jpg (500x347, 30K)

I guess a tie between Baten Kaitos and Another Wonderful Life. Moreso the latter because I'm the only person I know which owns it and More Friends of Mineral Town.

Attached: bk_wl_girl1_1024.jpg (1024x768, 212K)

My mom didn’t let me put it into the computer because it would “break” it. She ended up throwing it away to make sure I never did.

so pirates had to pay $.99 per disc instead of $.99 for a stack
it was still cheaper than buying games by far

that demo disc was dope. the ninja turtles demo actually sold me on buying the game. only time a "try before u buy" thing worked on me

Thats funny because I forced mine into the iMac CD slot. We fished it out though. If you put it in long side forward, it’ll just spit it out: if you put it in flat side forward, it gets stuck

Path of Radiance

What a weird fucking thing to say specifically about the gamecube. Almost every multiplat between gamecube and ps2 looked and ran better on the gamecube.
RE4
Viewtiful Joe
Killer 7
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Heroes
Tales of Symphonia
Spider-Man 2
Blood Omen 2
Soul Calibur 2
Need for speed underground 1
Ps2 could pull ahead sometimes with more content and a few games did look and perform better but the vast majority of better visuals and better performance goes to gamecube.

did anybody not try to open these when they first got them?

I’ve never had an issue with a GameCube disc. I’ve had issues with the GameCube itself, where as the same game played fine on the wii

Almost all games in that entire generation were under 2GB. Nintendo also didn't dump tons of uncompressed CGI movies like Sony did so it was completely unnecessary.

The GameCube was a good era of gaming. Sony just continued flooding the market with cheap interactive movies while Nintendo and Microsoft actually made games. Nintendo finally sold out with the Wii and just flooded the market with crap like Sony had before

Unfortunately nothing quite as impressive as skygunner, silent hill 2 or mgs3.

It's because idiots like didn't know you were supposed to push the button in the middle of where you put the discs to eject them.

Kinda?
You could just buy mini-DVDs, which mostly got made for DVD camcorders.
If you were FUCKING CRAZY, you could cut a normal DVD to fit (risks the disc exploding in the drive while spinning due to cracks in it from your cutting, almost certainly damaging the machine).
You could also modify the Gamecube itself to fit a standard DVD (the system still can't read outside of the mini-DVD area though).

The GC beats out the PS2 by virtue of being faster and having a more sensible video chipset.
It's a simpler, less flexible design, but it's fast and easy to work with. The PS2 has a lot of power, but isn't at all easy to work with.

UMDs suck by virtue of their complete and utter lack of speed. The load times were obnoxious. I'd pull out my PSP while waiting for something, and by the time shit loaded, I had to put my PSP away again.
Being able to dump ISOs to Memory Stick was a godsend (well, once I got a microSD -> Memory Stick adapter, because a large Memory Stick was stupid expensive).

The PS2's weird architecture made it particularly unsuited to multiplats.

>The GC beats out the PS2 by virtue of being faster
Unfortunately not. The cube is SLOOOOOW. Especially that RAM. Holy cow.

My copy of MMX collection looks like that and it still works fine.

Attached: 5B9C9FA7-6076-4F94-917A-23AAD6D20D03.jpg (3264x2448, 2.68M)

So they could sell you less game for the same price as the other consoles. Nintendo rikeh to maximize plofits.

>it still works fine.
Have you do a validation recently?

god that is terrifying. The data layer is basically exposed.

That was actually genuinely how some Nintendofags spun it back in the day. t. Nintendofag.

Just turned it on and it’s fine

Attached: 18ACBDC7-19FE-4A93-BB85-98A78D371D3B.jpg (3264x2448, 2.01M)

For some reason i am convinced Nintendo did this shit on purpose so people would eventually have to buy those games as re releases on future consoles.
After-all its a company that did not support cross platform Virtual console.

did he died?

Attached: POVG.PNG.png (480x356, 364K)

Attached: 1359871283007.jpg (251x251, 36K)

This was my experience as well. I think the Gamecube's laser is just particularly shitty, because playing burned games was also a crapshoot but the same disks worked fine on the Wii.

I don't think it's on purpose. If you look at all their consoles, they all have severe technical issues. NES with its jank lock out chip and failing pin connectors that need restoration. DMG game boys with the vertical lines on screen, SNES with its SHVC cancer claiming a ton of consoles. 64 with its jank ass analog stick that wears over time, cube with its awful discs and unreliable laser, wii I haven't seen many problems with - DS hinges going shot, Wii U discs being pieces of shit as well.

It had weird architecture but it also had less power.
ps2 294 mhz cpu
Gamecube 486 mhz cpu
Ps2 147 mhz gpu
Gamecube 162 mhz gpu

Jesus. And that is a valuble game as well(GC version of X Collection is worth $80+ now).

>Just turned it on and it’s fine
see

There's gonna be a gamecube crash I imagine.

Why do Americans think everything is good?

>Unfortunately not. The cube is SLOOOOOW. Especially that RAM. Holy cow.
You must be remembering things differently because the Gamecube RAM is actually extremely fast. There's a reason why load times were practically non-existent or extremely short on the GC.

Because Nintendo doesn't need much space since their games are just rehashes from previous generations.

That's actually due to the smaller disc not faster ram. That laser moving between rings is the slowest part of a drive the shorter the distance it has to travel the faster data can be read off the disc. This is always why lots of games took common data and placed it redundantly around the disc in high traffic areas so the laser didn't have to travel as far to reach it which is also why when you compress a PS2 .ISO it can be as small as 800mb but when you write it to a disc it's 3.5gbs.

There's lots of load times, some very long on the gamecube. Rainbow 6 comes to mind as one of the most egregious ones.
>non-existent
that's the realm of PS2 really.

I remember some Metroid Prime rooms taking a really long time to load

Skies of Arcadia Legends

No, you two are very much wrong on this. The Playstation 2 has 32MB of Dynamic RAM while the Gamecube has something like what 44MB of non-unified RAM, 16MB was DRAM and 28 was (Pseudo)Static RAM.

Dynamic RAM has to be dynamically refreshed all of the time or it forgets what it is holding. The downside of all of this refreshing is that it takes time and slows down the memory.

Static RAM uses a completely different technology. In static RAM, a form of flip-flop holds each bit of memory. A flip-flop for a memory cell takes 4 or 6 transistors along with some wiring, but never has to be refreshed. This makes static RAM significantly faster than dynamic RAM. However, because it has more parts, a static memory cell takes a lot more space on a chip than a dynamic memory cell. Therefore you get less memory per chip, and that makes static RAM a lot more expensive.

So no the Gamecube doesn't actually have slow RAM, it had very fast RAM.

Prime had some delay on it yeah but it was masked by the game mechanics of doors opening and closing between areas.

lol wrong, PS2 is faster and stronger than Gamcube.

Pokemon PC game.

Lol yeah i'm sure your statement is a reasonable argument where you don't back it up with any actual information. The technical specifications don't lie, because somehow the PS2's 300Mhz CPU made it much stronger than the Gamecube's 485Mhz CPU.

I had a Smash U copy that would crash on Gaur Plains. Any other stage, it was fine. Gaur Plains, it’d crash.

Cubivore, the only other games I have are SA/SA2, Twin Snakes, Billy Hatcher, Donkey Konga, Ultimate Muscle, and Eternal Darkness.

I would really like to get the Evolution games and Smash again, but unless I win the lottery I can't afford to be that frivolous with my money with the current retro bubble.

You can't compare two different architectures in clock speed. That's not how it works. It's how the Athlon XP at 1.4GHz competed with a 2.6GHz P4.

That 16MB was very slow, barely even useful for streaming data. Basically left it with 28MB of usable RAM. Don't talk about speed in comparison to the PS2 by the way, the PS2 basically has no bandwidth limitations.

Burnout 3 dev said Burnout 3 wouldn't be possible on Gamecube but I'll trust some random user's armchair technical analysis over an actual game developer.

Attached: 1471590470833.jpg (1293x937, 230K)

Apparently Path of Radiance and Skies of Arcadia are pretty expensive/rare. So those, probably.

>You can't compare two different architectures in clock speed. That's not how it works. It's how the Athlon XP at 1.4GHz competed with a 2.6GHz P4.
Yes you can, we're comparing technical specs here and performance of the overall product. Real funny how you say you can't compare speeds but then go on to say:
>That 16MB was very slow, barely even useful for streaming data. Basically left it with 28MB of usable RAM. Don't talk about speed in comparison to the PS2 by the way, the PS2 basically has no bandwidth limitations.
And then do the exact same thing. The DRAM in the PS2 and the Gamecube was pretty much the same with the exception being the bandwidth allowed on the DRAM but the SRAM was significantly fast enough to compenstate for this and had the higher cache limit for processes.

Fuck, I haven't looked at my discs in like 8 years! They're probably toast.

Because optimism and confidence is attractive.

Cool story bro, we're not talking about Burnout 3. We're talking about RAM speeds.

If PS2 was more powerful than Gamecube then why was the PS2 RE4 version significantly worse with textures and slower loading than the Gamecube version and had prerendered cutscenes as opposed to real time rendered in the Gamecube one? Checkmate Zoroastrianists.

Burnout 3 wasn't possible on Gamecube because of RAM SPEED moron

FUCKING OWNED

Yet games still looked better on GameCube somehow

Then you'll have no problem finding the interview where they claim this then to prove your statement. I'll wait.

Then how does GC gave much better visuals? Games like Star Fox Advenures, Metroid Prime1 amd 2, Mario Sunshine, and Twilight Princess still look fantastic to this day.

>spoonfeed me hurr
google it lazy cunt

fuck off retard you've already been owned and 99% of Yea Forums thinks you're a retard

>wii I haven't seen many problems with
wiiconnect24 would straight-up fry the gpu.

lack of forethought on nintendos part plus their obsession with gimmicky hardware.

No I haven't been owned and have defended my point quite well other than you memespouting replies. But since you can't actually back up your statement I think the only one being owned here is you.

Attached: 1534644030911.jpg (500x401, 40K)

Its still dvd rom you tard. Fucking zoomers.

Lol no zoomer faggot. The specs of the gc were only slightly better than dreamcast.

>Burnout 3 wasn't possible on Gamecube because of low iq developers
FTFY

Eugenia how do your pronounce that? Is she foreign?

>no argument
>nu u
>anime reaction image
>i win lol
typical retard

America is not the world faggot. The world is the world. Fucking mixed race amerimutt.

>google it lazy cunt
Yeah you sure showed him.

Most games during that time didn't use more than 2 CDs which is the size of a gc disc. Except movies-games with a shit load of fmvs.

The fuck is that pimple below your pinky?

Wasted potential.

Still waiting on your phantom source btw.

Are you high?

>games looked better on the gamecube
MGS2/3, Final Fantasy 12 andd Silent Hill 2 look miles better than anything on Gamecube

Attached: Untitled.png (1600x1658, 3.07M)

This image is very cherry picked and highly misleading. For instance the GPU fill rate on the PS2 is higher but it's not capable of alpha blending, fogging or trilinear filtering. PS2 only did Z buffering.

He doesnt have one. More than likley they dropped xevelopment for 3 on GC because of sales, considering 1 and 2 were on the console. Not to mention games like FzeroGX ran at 480p widescreen at 60fps, no reason why they couldnt get burnout 3 to run fine.
zoom

Soul Calibur, Custom Robo, Smash, Wind Waker, Luigi's Mansion, and a few others are in a box a few feet away from me.

Custom Robo was kino, btw.

Attached: 1504639948149.jpg (400x400, 61K)

Has any user every been more BTFO than you faggots right now?
LOL

Attached: 1462684689394.jpg (1366x624, 290K)

Smash Bros Melee, Starfox Assault, Starfox Adventures, Budokai 1&2, and RE4. Hardly rare but I'm glad to own them since I got them for free.

Attached: 1565155910159.jpg (853x480, 279K)

not that user but
>considering 1 and 2 were on the console.
1 and 2 are completely different games from 3, Burnout 3 required alot more processing power to process not just the speed of the races but the amount of physics and particles flying trough the screen everytime a takedown was preformed
>F-zero GX
simple car shapes driving around on a racetrack where not much else happens, it was very fast true but you cant compare that to how a game like Burnout works

They didn’t even fill the disc though. Most games from that era were actually quite small. Somebody with a lot of autism on gbatemp once posted a spreadsheet with every PS2 game and their true file sizes (minus dummy padding files) to counter this claim. The google sheet showed that more than 90% of the PS2 library could fit on a GCN disc. Many of the ones that couldn’t were because of their movie files which could be compressed more or they could just span multiple discs like the PS1 era did all the time (and a few GCN games did too).

Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker had grander scopes that were axed so the games could be finished up in smaller scopes and shipped sooner. Only because Nintendo needed games to sell the console, not because of the disc size

Attached: file.png (1440x900, 1.31M)

Attached: file.png (1440x900, 1.55M)

No. Nice dead and missing link you have there. Ps2 vs dreamcast? Nice try retard.

whats that supposed to prove?

Attached: metal-gear-solid-2-sons-of-liberty-was-the-game-that-stopped-me-being-a-fanboy-220-1427800929.jpg (2500x1406, 296K)

kino as fuck

Attached: file.png (1440x900, 990K)

Are you dumb? Or just Trump?

based and old-4chanpilled

>Yes you can
No, not really. Efficiency matters.
>And then do the exact same thing
I'm talking about efficiency. Since you like comparing numbers so much, here's some inconvenient ones: I've only ever seen it cause the system and PSU need a hard reset.

>comparing konami to silicon knights

>link is about PS2 vs Dreamcast
>link doesn't exist
Yeah you're full of shit as usual.

PS2 rendered this game at 1080p, output it at 1080i. This is the native render.

Attached: vp2.jpg (1920x1080, 2.08M)

actually, try putting a dvd inside you gamecube, it fits

>no argument

Attached: b682c5c3acbf754af3bc642656a0739f.gif (500x265, 1.23M)

>rent free

How did you get this screenshot? VP2 as I recall only had sideview levels.

Probably one if they cut out the radio.

That Twin Snakes looked amazing on GC and that we could have had an acceptable MGS2 port

Attached: file.png (1280x960, 1.8M)

Based oldfag

back to your containment board kiddo

not doing a good job dumpass

My dad had a MS Flight sim disc explode on him in a 52x CD drive. The drive survived.

>rare gamecube game
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Ikaruga
The Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition

>making fun of americans while misspelling
pottery

no it didn't. VP2 is 480p and upscales (badly) to 1080i

It's from an in-engine cutscene, Gives a few glimpses to how the game renders its scenes.

Tanker alone would have been too much for the GC.

Burnout 3 has yet to be effectively ported to PC. It's because RenderWare is famously shit and engine developers double as EA lawyers, not because the gamecube is weak.

Attached: SANDYHOOK.gif (505x537, 3.38M)

Twin Snakes looked miles worse than MGS2 and ruined the artstyle of MGS1

Attached: MGS2_03-640x360.jpg (640x360, 34K)

NTSCJ version is 1080i, doesn't use upscaling unlike GT4.

shudup

Attached: file.png (1440x900, 1.07M)

No, it doesnt.
>1080p
No. Also ps2 can NOT do 1080i, it uses a softwareupscaling to make it look like 1080i. Nevertheless, it is not atrue 1080i

There's still enough different for them to bypass royalty payments. I don't know what gamecube did different from normal dvds but for the Wii discs, the major difference was that the drive span backwards compared to normal dvd so normal drives didn't know what to do with them. This was easily bypassed by flashing firmware on dvd rom drives that made them spin in the opposite direction which was how some Wii games were ripped.

Lol your link doesn't exist dude. Who are you trying to fool on a board of anonymous internet detectives?

Attached: 1495925645848.png (733x510, 410K)

everyone needs to stop zooming
youtube.com/watch?v=G7VZhlV6K4k

Attached: file.png (1920x1080, 2.13M)

does the Gamecube even have one game that looks half as good as GT4?

Attached: gran-turismo-4-image367436.jpg (689x480, 109K)

>spoonfeeding

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 806K)

>he actually fell for the bait picture thats been floating around here for years
Jesus dude lol

i miss him bros

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 71K)

>oh no everyone knows the secret reference! now I am not special!

Attached: 1560137828662.jpg (300x300, 24K)

Yoo-Jean-Yah. It's just an old name, she's not foreign. Although it's a more common name in Spain/Mexico where you pronounce it Yoo-Genie-Yah.

Also how are there people on Yea Forums who don't know about our skeleton queen?

Attached: DVT1H6OVQAAtDcw.jpg orig.jpg (1536x2048, 301K)

It can do 1080i just fine.

god no.

I've seen her pussy

>I got all of these retards to painstakingly type in an entire URL address that doesn't exist

Attached: 1547580487880.png (627x611, 423K)

>No, not really. Efficiency matters.
>I'm talking about efficiency. Since you like comparing numbers so much, here's some inconvenient ones
Yes the efficiency of the SRAM more than made up for it. So what's the issue here?
Also those numbers from that user who btw is now discredited for posting false links are cherry picked without taking into certain things like cache and whatnot. It's stating the Cube only has 24MB when it was like 44MB of RAM.

I wish with all my soul that we had a PC version of this...

Christ, she looks like a stiff breeze would snap her in two. Where does she even fit all of the organs?

>when it was like 44MB of RAM.
16MB of which was so slow it did nothing to help performance. It wasn't efficient enough.

Wow, you're actually right. I thought it was typical Yea Forums woman judgement, but no, she seriously does look anorexic. I don't even mind thin women, but she really does look like she has some sort of problem, or skinny genes.

>i-i was merely p-pretend-ding
Get fucked retard

Attached: 1564912893655.webm (854x480, 571K)

I wish PCSX2 had a freecam option like Dolphin does. I did a whole album of Gamecube and Wii games from an isometric perspective and it'd be nice to do that for PS2 games.

This
also low key they were trying to distance themselves from the Nintendo CD debacle of Gen5

It's one of the most never ever games of all time with scenes like this: youtube.com/watch?v=c_69rBtxG1k

Speaking of disks Psp had weird fucking disks

Attached: 1565057251343.jpg (560x415, 27K)

>This
it's literally a mini-DVD, so they had to pay royalties to the DVD group.

small disks for a small dicked audience. nintendgay is for kids and beta males who think there still 13 at age 30+

>Painstakingly type in a url
It was literally the search function of the site, took like 30 seconds. Meanwhile you went to the effort of construction not one but two images to try and not pretend you were a retard.

there was also a lot less data on the disks vs what the ps2 and xbox had.

Soon
youtu.be/kOBKXcn-yQg?t=179
RPCSX3 already has it booting and it now reaches the title screen.

For like 8 years yeah

So you admit you got owned.

LOL

Zoomers and newfaggots have no idea what you're talking about

Each game released on both systems had the PS2 version inferior to the GC version (BG&E, SC2, etc.). Titles like SH3, MGS3, and FFXII were designed specifically for the PS2. The only company who was willing to develop specifically for the GC was Nintendo, as 3rd party devs & publishers had a hell of a time competing against Nintendo's own titles. Nintendo is known for not pushing their hardware, though Twilight Princess did provide a decently graphical title.
Should these three titles have been made for the GC, the GC version would have been graphically superior. Should third party devs had been willing to push the GC for GC-oiptimized titles, the same would have resulted. Just as the X-Box version of any PS2 game be superior as well.
Spec speaking, the GC (and the X-Box) was just plain that much more powerful than the PS2. It was hampered by being a Nintendo product, having a retarded design, have no DVD playback in commonly commercial units to make it a desired (cheap) consumer multimedia product. And it used those dumb mini-discs that kept games from holding the same storage as the X-Box & PS2. Which also kept games from pushing the hardware as much as they could've, as there just wasn't enough space on the discs to make such an endeavor worthwhile.

That enough of a reply for you, Trixie?

By far better than a ps2, lurk more you zoomer fuck

>1080i fine
Not natively. It outputs 480i to 480p and then upscales.

Well, technically yeah. I own my own home, thanks.

I still think it's absolutely phenomenal just how fast PS3 emulation is progressing. With just how messed up the Cell architecture was, I thought it wouldn't ever be possible in the first place.

Uh, no. I saw the PS2 vs Dreamcast and knew you were full of shit, and saw others claiming the site didn't exist.
Did your pee pee get hard though?

You’d rage hard too if this same company tired to absolutely fuck you over then demand more money just to use their format

FPBP

>I've seen her pussy
I'm sorry.

>all GameCube games will eventually stop working
>Melee will die
sounds like a good sacrifice

Obvious thing to do would just be to duplicate all the side quest data on each disc so you can easily do it no matter what disc you're on. Pretty common thing to do, lots of old PC games with multidisc FMVs would do that.

you actually did rustle some people and get (yous), so i can't deny that your mission was a success.

Attached: 1562458191077.jpg (913x1024, 84K)

Why? It's actually a pretty amazing pussy desu, all her meat went there

Nintendo fucked Sony over in that deal, they didn't disclose any change of plans while Sony continued to develop the system. Word hit them in the worst way possible - that they were teaming up with someone else. Nintendo then made its biggest competitor and has yet to recover from that.

>GT4
even burnout 3 is more impressive than that

she has a pretty fat mons, the color reminiscent of raw roast beef.

It was no slower than the same RAM in the PS2. The DRAM was mostly only used as the buffer for the audio and the DVD drive. The SRAM still pulled its weight greatly for performance in the Cube. Compare loading screen times between games on both systems like RE4 and so to see the results.

Yeah you should join a circus because i've never seen a clown like you backpedal so hard before.

Yeah it's great, she even has a clit piercing. Straight up a virgin slut like something out of our hentai dreams

>All this impotent rage
Amazing.

Attached: 1547585386559.jpg (819x582, 197K)

Sony was asked to make a CD add-on for the SNES and then went out on their own and announced a Sony-branded "PlayStation" CD console that played SNES games. Nintendo bitch slapped them the next day by announcing that they were instead working with philips.

alright, it's getting old now. at first people getting mad was funny, now you just need to grow up. besides, wasn't even rage, it actually agreed with you. you just can't read and are going off on an "I AM EPIC TROLE LUL" spree

>Each game released on both systems had the PS2 version inferior to the GC version
lol no
youtu.be/_wnNkwRPq5U?t=408

Attached: x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 218K)

RE4 is not a good comparison because of how poorly optimized the game is for PS2. I get that it's your last straw to grasp at, but it's not a good one.

NO
HE DID... NOT
IN FACT. HE. SOMETIMES STILL UPLOADS VIDEO, TO YOUTUBE.
BUT ..................... THEY AREN'T EVERY GOOD AND THEN HE DELETES HIS CHANNEL THEN MAKES A NEW ONE.
youtube.com/watch?v=IF1x8rYS3ls

Out of the 4 posts you linked, only one of the replies could be constituted as rage. The rest seem quite indifferent or mocking of you.

You are still sidestepping the burnout 3 dev statement you were talking about so much.

>they're still THIS mad about getting owned
lol

Attached: 1547595711011.jpg (261x440, 32K)

Then pick any of the other multiplatform games for both systems and compare the speed of load times then. I guarantee you the Gamecube versions will have fared better.
>RE4 is not a good comparison because of how poorly optimized the game is for PS2. I get that it's your last straw to grasp at, but it's not a good one.
Pot calling the kettle black here with that statement don't you think? The only poorly optimized version of RE4 was the PC port on release until fans fixed it up.

Despite this being true I play literally all of those on PS2 because at least it can output RGB/Component.

>Oh no some people don't get the joke! I need to explain it!

Attached: 5bjibgaa2zez[2].png (887x1236, 1.02M)

Attached: 1544892521137.jpg (1920x1080, 101K)

forum.beyond3d.com/threads/strengths-and-weaknesses-of-gamecube-relative-to-its-peers-spawn.59940/page-2

it is an old statement that has been lost to time on the internet, but it is accurate.

please do not reply multiple while using yotsuba crops. this is not against any rules but it makes me very sad.

Path of Radiance. Not sure if it's all that rare, but it commands the highest price of any GC title i have

The disc themselves were basically mini dvds but because the way the data was encoded was different they didn't have to pay the royalties. That's why normal disc drives can't read the discs without modding.

oh god so beautiful

Would you not agree the best case examples of games are the ones tailored specifically for the platform? Multiplats, especially Western ones are not made with much care for getting the most out of each system - but for getting the job done quickly and efficiently.

Nah it was a proprietary format. MiniDVD is still 4.7GB where as the Gamecube discs were 1.5GB

>nearly an hour of cope after being called out
It's ok. Everyone makes mistakes. Usually people just dont expose themselves in such a vunerable state afterward though. Cheer up. You'll get em next time.

Attached: 1565197643247.png (539x666, 118K)

>Or just Trump?

dilate my dude

Went and checked every single one of disks thanks to you. Everything is fine,

Attached: 1432609869993.jpg (615x1022, 239K)

>an hour later and he's STILL mad about being owned
mindboggling.

Attached: 1547632905448.png (375x316, 91K)

you're posting a forum argument from 2016 where people are also saying the supposed burnout quote has no concrete evidence. it literally doesnt exist. burnout 3 wasnt on gamecube because EA spent the early 2000s buying the rights for sports games and Mario [Golf/Strikers/Tennis/Baseball] were some of the only other sportsgame franchises that it couldn't kill.

I have a 1.0 copy of Melee I used to bring to biweeklies in az. that's about it

don't do that, it makes mustard gas.

Wait so Burnout 1 and 2 were on the gamecube because EA was buying the rights for stuff or something? Why not 3? Oh, because it couldn't handle it. forum.beyond3d.com/threads/was-gc-more-or-less-powerful-than-ps2-spawn.52550/

Not necessarily because some versions on other platforms tend to have either more content or a better control scheme and as far as i'm aware RE4 for PS2 was not handled by a western company but still Capcom Japan. RE4 on PS2 while technically worse in every way had more bonus content at the time until the Wii version arrived to match on parity on bonus content. Games like GTA V or Monster Hunter World are far better on their PC counterparts from a point of graphical and performance fidelity than the console counterparts despite those games being developed primarily for consoles first. The only games of recent I can name where it was developed on PC first then ported to console was Diablo 3, Killing Floor 2 and Vermintide, of which sadly Diablo 3 is much better on console than PC.

I'm surprised so many people fell for this when it's like a five year old bait image that was debunked ages ago.

>forum.beyond3d.com/threads/was-gc-more-or-less-powerful-than-ps2-spawn.52550/

based

Nothing in that thread has anything to do with Burnout or mentions anything about Burnout 3 not being able to handle it. If anything some of them actually acknowledge the Gamecube for being strong on memory architecture.

Defend yourself, PS2fags

youtube.com/watch?v=1Qsb7s_knsQ

Attached: 1533533038353.jpg (953x1200, 237K)

Those are players, not devs. The dev in the thread is saying the GC was good for lazy devs. That much is obvious.

it really isn't a "direct" port. They had to do a LOT of finagling for it.

>This is a message to all my subscribers. If you're subscribed to me because you want videos, I don't care, I don't give a shit

based fat man

Attached: 1411403794266.png (902x835, 420K)

>manlytears holding a laserdisc

Multiplats always looked worse on the PS2, no exceptions. Best was xbox and gaycube was middle of the road.

Attached: Fat_Falling.gif (284x200, 1019K)

I WILL FUCK YOU IN THE ASS MAN

>tfw my gamecube stopped working years ago
I wish I knew how to fix it

Attached: 69983085_p0.jpg (3541x5016, 1.83M)

Being such a fatass that everything you see is food.

I came in here looking for this post, thank you

youtu.be/T-SV2QxzBTw

in order to be concealed in your foreskin
the fact that you didn't know this proves you're a cut amerifat

Jesus christ

Attached: mad max hand.png (1401x6556, 1.67M)

Its probably just dusty man, clean out the box and maybe change the disk drive

t. manlytears

This statement makes no sense.

Gamecube games look way better than PS2 games.

Who cares about tech specs when the the system is so horrible balanced and hard to program for, the game end up looking like bland shit.

I can't tell you're 15-years-old or something, and never really played those consoles.

DAH NENTENDO SHET CUYBE

Why are you posting emulator pics?

Attached: 1564699032818.jpg (416x416, 24K)

thanks user but it's honestly not even worth referencing; you oldfags need to get with the times and use worthy memes

How’s your GameCube collection coming along

>Silent Hill 2
I love SH2 but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

>ESL tries to insult Americans.

Forgot pic

Attached: 5A663288-B12B-4545-9347-8745C1F03759.jpg (3024x4032, 3.19M)

*jeans

It's eh. I've gotten a pretty nice one. Missing some key games that I'd really like to have like Mario Kart: Double Dash, Billy Hatcher, Skies of Arcadia, and the Monkey Ball games to name a few. Despite that, I'm pretty satisfied. Definitely should work on it when I come across some money. I just found out how much a complete copy of TTYD is and I was shocked. Glad I have that complete aside from that one thin manual thingy that's not the actual manual itself.

Games on PS2 and Gamecube generally performed and looked better on Gamecube. Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe, and Killer 7 are especially notable.

But as to whether PS2 and Gamecube had "better looking" games overall is a matter of personal taste. PS2 had some real stunners.

Attached: 39dca12c04c3332439a7a2af7c003e933d23970a_hq.jpg (1024x768, 81K)

>MUH BURNOUT
>muh cherrypicked specs
funny thing how 2 was ported but all of a sudden 3 was an issue

damn. should i emulate this or just buy a physical copy?

decent I guess, still missing a ton of first party stuff and a couple notable third party games like Twin Snakes and the Code Veronica port because of how fucked prices are, glad to have Melee, FE:PoR, Pikmin 1&2, and RE0-4 though. Won an auction for Rogue Leader for $6 a couple weeks back too.

Attached: 1547696129417.jpg (626x767, 50K)

Does your fat ass make up 99% of Yea Forums with all its girth?

It isn't "emulate or buy". The truth, as always, is in the middle. Pirate on official hardware.

it turns on but won't spin up discs anymore
I don't even know what exactly is the problem and dealing with the disc drive or laser sounds like a nightmare

Hold my gotcha bot senpai

Attached: IMG_20190812_232546.jpg (2560x1440, 1.22M)

my retarded 12 year old self sold my entire collection. Only gamecube game I re bought was Thousand Year Door to play on my Wii.
But my collection wasn't that great anyways, half of it was shitty license games

Attached: 1440205456075.jpg (1000x548, 81K)

Or ya'know just emulate and get all the benefits of higher resolutions and such without any of the hassle of modding your Gamecube.

They probably thought they'd be more appealing to kids than regular sized discs and they were right. Maybe it saved costs too but discs are already cheaper than air so,

No need to lie when the specs are available online, user.

what's this?

me uploading a 300 dollar Gamecube title from my shitty 2015 phone.

I mean what is the game about, never heard of it

I still have it too, m8. My save file is in the last year of the game still never finished because I was burnt out of it

it's actually a pretty kino game

>third person tiny robot arena battle game
>you got a starter bot with a basic movepool that evolves over time but throughout the game you get various gotchas with with drastically different styles and movesets
>you make an ever increasing team based on power level limit that you increase throughtout story mode
>the VA work puts Chaos Wars to fucking shame but the OST is pretty good
>Capcom reissued in in moonland due to it being a cult favorite over there but nothing stateside since its' release

Tts a 3d arena battle game with a bunch of robots you collect. You can have a few on your team that cycle when they die. Basically think A.C.E and its that but kid friendly.

Its pretty good actually, emulate it.

if you played Little Battlers Experience on 3DS it's kind of a precursor to that but more focused on team building and collecting

Nice

Because Nintendo is retarded
>retarded cartridges
>retarded mini discs
>retarded sd cards

based teh poster

>Gamecube versions of several multiplatform games got shafted in texture resolution despite having more graphical horsepower than the PS2 merely because they didn't have the same amount of available space on the disc
Sounds just like the xbox 360 with the MGS4 debacle. They ended up not publishing it because it would've required something like 8+ discs.

Coolest idea ever to protect the disc, why didn't consoles adapt the protective case these things use?

That would cost more money. Every tenth of a cent adds up over the production of millions of discs.

It was counterpriductive, scratched the disc too much.

>the way it was intended to be
>a big fuckin blurry mess

Attached: gay renaissance silence.jpg (512x512, 20K)

reddit reddit reddit

>umd
I kinda wish they caught on honestly. USB and flash memory is boring for all the convince it provides.

Attached: 1442170745485.gif (400x535, 1.86M)

>have my GC hooked to my 4:3 CRT with an RGB Scart cable

Attached: IMG_1413.jpg (454x454, 80K)

these were a blight, and them not catching on was a hidden blessing. they would of kept the stagnation of optical media going on even longer when the reality was solid state was vastly better and was only still expensive because there wasnt a demand or need to push that technology forward

sd and microsd becoming a requirement because of space factors is the real hero we deserve. the faster that shit is worked out the sooner we can bury optical discs into a shallow grave in the nearest in and out dumpster

So ur dick could fit in the hole

YOUR dick, maybe. the fact that that even seemed like a possibility is sorta telling about you, user...

I remember when my friend showed me his PSP that he bought on launch day I looked at the game and cracked the plastic open trying to get the disc out.

He started crying

Don't get me wrong, we're definitely better off.
I'm hesitant to say it but there's just no soul to an SD card or USB drive. It just werks and there's no quirks.
Like I said, better, but boring.

i would too if my friends were that stupid

>im hesitant to say it
you should be, because what your saying is fucking stupid. all of it cheaply produced plastic and silicone marked up to exorbitant prices to part money from your wallet. the implication any of it, has any soul, at any time is fucking embarrassing.

Yeah all this talk about gamecube is good and all

but does anyone in this thread have Path of Radiance?

>Multiplats always looked worse on the PS2, no exceptions
Errr there was a thread a while back with screenshots which showed this not to be the case.

Scale back on the nihilism user, your underage is showing.

Yeah yeah we get it and everyone else in your 9th grade class is a sheep except for you. Thanks for the enlightenment genius.

How are the GC versions of RE2 and 3? Worth the price tag?

>the GPU fill rate on the PS2 is higher but it's not capable of alpha blending, fogging or trilinear filtering
The PS2 can do single-cycle alpha blending and fogging, so the fill-rate speed in that image is completely accurate for those features.

It's true though that the PS2 needs two cycles for trilinear filtering while the Gamecube only needs one.

>thought UMD stood for Ultra Mini Disc

still use my PSP, love that thing.

Wow. Do faggots like actually get upset when the reference is posted?

>It was no slower than the same RAM in the PS2
You can make a good argument for the GameCube's main RAM not being any slower than the PS2's main RAM in spite of lower bandwidth due to higher efficiency from better latency performance. But the fact remains that the GameCube has 8 MB less of "fast" RAM than the GameCube.

The 16 MB of DRAM in the GameCube is slower than the Sega Saturn's RAM dude. It's basically a disk / audio cache at best, like a permanent tiny USB stick in your GameCube. It's useless for loading shit directly into the game.

*than the PS2

Too bad this thread didn't happen at all and you're grasping for straws. And that's just the multiplats the gamecube even got, most publishers didn't bother with it. For example, the splinter cell games were just ports of the PS2 versions, which all looked like dogshit.

this. also cheaper.

they really do and it's funny making them seethe every time

Only from one perspective price per Gigabyte was actually way higher.

A blank DVD was like $1.50 and got you 4.7gb while a blank Nintendo optical disc cost the developer $1.25 and only got you 1.5gb. Not many PS2 games ended up going multi-disc but I can recall quite a few multi-disc gamecube games so that savings is marginal at best and games like RE4 which were multidisc would end up being more expensive and still have less available disc space than 4.7gb

>Too bad this thread didn't happen at all
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/344979620/#344986724

vast majority of games were one disc though, and some multips2 disc games that included demos or whatever would be cheaper by comparison. In the long run it saved a lot of money, even if it wasn't as efficient. Nintendo was just coming out of the N64 days and must have thought having gigabytes of space was more than enough. They also wanted a portability gimmick with the gamecube with the handle and small size and such. Mini-dvds would be a little easier to carry around in some case to hold multiple of them.

They thought it would prevent digital piracy but the joke was on them. No one wanted to play their games.

There are two comparison pics on that thread, both from EA games who pulled out of gamecube development early on. I called bullshit so you would find the thread for me, thanks.

>There are two comparison pics on that thread
I see four. One for Everything and Nothing, Tony Hawk Underground, 007 Nightfire, and Spiderman 2. Not all of those are EA games.

Also they didn't want to pay Sony and the DVD consortium for a DVD loicense, so they went for Panasonic's cheaper format.

>In the long run it saved a lot of money
Not really the difference was minimal to start with and as DVD became more popular it basically disappeared.

>the difference was minimal to start with and as DVD became more popular it basically disappeared.
scale

The GameCube mini-discs "lack of space" is greatly GREATLY overestimated. It was a genuine issue on N64 because your average N64 cartridge was like 16 MB, which is tiny compared to a 650 MB CD-ROM but mini-DVDs were only a third of the size of a DVD.

I think people mindlessly conflate the N64 and GameCube issues when they weren't comparable. Also having multiple cartridges was impossibly expensive while having multiple mini-DVDs was legitimately possible and actually quite a few games did have more than one disc.

Almost every game in that generation was 1.5 GB or less. The PC version of Vice City is exactly that size and it includes multiple models and textures for different detail settings. IIRC if you actually strip down a PS2 and GameCube ISO for multiplatform games you'll see that the actual game part is the same size between the two and the difference in ISO size is down to the PS2 FMV and audio block being larger. So when devs ported games over to GameCube they didn't downgrade the game's assets just the audio and FMV if they had to.

Doesn't really change things. Because again it was only really a benefit before DVD took off. By like 2003 it was marginally inverted in the other direction.

shit because i'm starting a PS2 collection instead

>PSP I had for over a decade died my last year in college
Always debated getting a replacement, but I figure there’s no new/unboxed ones left out there

Attached: 14EC8910-98AB-4164-89E7-0C9F53981FD2.png (1116x602, 1.53M)

>greatly GREATLY overestimated
Not really, they already lost most third parties with the N64 cartridge blunder and the mini-discs was a lesser version of that same mistake. It certainly wasn't the largest mistake of the Gamecube design but it certainly was one of them. Having one third the availible space did have negative consequences and made making a Gamecube port that much more difficult which translates to that much more time/money you need to spend on porting it to that platform and with the shrinking support the being in third place in that race meant lots of games which otherwise might have had Gamecube ports didn't because it didn't make sense to port it to the Gamecube which hurts it. It's not the only reason the Gamecube didn't get ports and didn't have third parties like they used to but it was one of many contributing factors.

N64 was hamstrung by it's cartridges and that more than anything is why the PS1 stole their crown, they lost Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy that generation and it hurt them, badly. Gamecube's mini-disc was like a sprained toe by comparison, not much on it's own but when you're coming off a hamstrung console and the perception that they didn't learn their lesson along with all the other issues with the Gamecube it is partially what lead to the Gamecube being their lowest point commercially.

Attached: Nintendo console sales.jpg (966x635, 68K)

>Having one third the availible space did have negative consequences and made making a Gamecube port that much more difficult which translates to that much more time/money you need to spend on porting it to that platform
No, for the vast VAST majority of games released on GameCube, they fit straight onto a mini-disc. For those games which didn't, all developers had to do was shrink down the bit-rate on audio and FMV.

From what I've heard from developers, the fact that the GameCube's RAM had a split fast / slow pool was more annoying than anything to do with the mini discs.

Depends on how much you value skipping cutscenes and decent resolution.

>vast VAST majority of games released on GameCube, they fit straight onto a mini-disc. For those games which didn't, all developers had to do was shrink down the bit-rate on audio and FMV.
That only goes so far, you can only compress so much before it becomes noticeable.

>From what I've heard from developers, the fact that the GameCube's RAM had a split fast / slow pool was more annoying than anything to do with the mini discs.
Again but mini-discs didn't help, it was one of many factors not the only or the most prominent. Try to actually read the post next time, you might learn something kiddo.

So Donald DRUMPF wouldn’t feel insecure.

Attached: 1514735816851.jpg (402x720, 40K)

she fucks her brother

>you can only compress so much before it becomes noticeable.
The FMV intros of many GameCube games ARE noticeably lower bit-rate than on PS2. Nobody cared. It's a fucking FMV.

>Again but mini-discs didn't help, it was one of many factors not the only or the most prominen
The entire PS2 architecture being incredibly un-developer friendly I think outweighed any mini disc issues by 100 fold dude.

So they would match your brain.

why would you try crack the LEAST popular console when there was the PS2 that everybody and their grandmother wanted to play??

So you dont feel bad when you use it to measure your dick lol

>fmv
wew
this game would be completely unable to be put on a disc

It'd never run on the Gamecube anyway because of the lack of RAM.

That's so fucking based. I'd never heard of her before but I'll check her out now.

>The FMV intros of many GameCube games ARE noticeably lower bit-rate than on PS2. Nobody cared. It's a fucking FMV.
That's assuming most of that surplus is from FMVs, because not all games are FMV heavy and same goes for audio. Textures would be next on the chopping block, ect. Also you have to consider the Gamecube's position it was in third place for the majority of that generation which also means it's third on the priority list.

>The entire PS2 architecture being incredibly un-developer friendly I think outweighed any mini disc issues by 100 fold dude.
Not when the PS2 is leading the market and most games are designed first and foremost for the PS2. Yes the PS2 was notoriously a bitch to program for but it also made up for that fact several fold by it's global sales and huge software attach rate. It can't be understated just how much the PS2 dominated the competition during that generation. Any little bit that would make the porting from PS2-to-Gamecube more difficult hurt Nintendo because again PS2 was overwhelming the target platform that generaiton and nearly everything whet to PS2 first and everything else second.

Attached: YYBvv.jpg (937x571, 92K)

>From what I've heard from developers, the fact that the GameCube's RAM had a split fast / slow pool was more annoying than anything to do with the mini discs.
The whole "slow/fast" thing is vastly oversimplifying the matter. The fact is that the "slow" pool is over 10x slower than the "fast" pool. The CPU can't even use it without DMA. The fact is that it's only usable as an IO buffer or (occasionally) as swap.

they're just optical discs in a little plastic cartridge to help keep them from getting scratched

Attached: CSQaWFiVEAESWi6.jpg (1200x799, 89K)

i demand to see evidence of this claim

>That's assuming most of that surplus is from FMVs
Most of the surplus is FMV and audio. Textures for that generation of consoles didn't take up very much space and were relatively small.

This "small medium space = small textures" is all part of a false mythology from the N64 where people assumed that the reason that many N64 games had small textures was because cartridges were small, but the actual reality was that many N64 games had small textures because developers ran out of memory bandwidth and lowered texture size in a desperate attempt to get framerate up.

>lso you have to consider the Gamecube's position it was in third place for the majority of that generation which also means it's third on the priority list.
True but it was also the easiest console to develop for. Everything about the GameCube's CPU Gecko and RAM seems tailor-made for sloppy multi-platform code. You've got massive L2 cache and latency-friendly RAM. Even the nastiest loop-infested code should be OK.

And the console has by far the most straight-forward (and basic) T&L architecture of every console in that generation.

>Yes the PS2 was notoriously a bitch to program for but it also made up for that fact several fold by it's global sales and huge software attach rate
True to some extent, but there's only so much developers can do. Developers threw absolutely all the resources in the world at programming games properly for the PS3 when it came out (even after it flopped at launch) due to the PS2's success and it still couldn't match the 360 in multiplatform games. It was eventually sort of possible, but took about 5 years to reach parity.

BASED

>True
>True
>True
Yes I know everything I said is true and I'm glad you've learned something. Are we done here yet or are you still going to spout more bullshit I have to shoot down? I'm getting tired of you.

Gamecube discs spun the opposite direction to most discs too, I believe.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

medias is triggering my latin sensibilities.

There's usually a grain of truth even in mad incoherent rambling, so congrats?

Nintendo must always have a gimmick.

IIRC that was a myth, and the real difference about the Gamecube disc drive was that it used CAV over CLV.

San Andreas didn't use dual layer, just single.

San Andreas had local multiplayer, though it was just freeroam and not very good.

That's not how it happened at all

How has nobody mentioned the real reasons? It was so they could have their cake and eat it after the N64 debacle.

1) Little discs are child friendly like cartridges since they can fit in the palm of their hand.

2) Little discs have less surface area for the lens to seek so you get shorter load times like a cartridge

3) A propriety format is hard to pirate and due to the custom design Nintendo can get more royalties from manufacturing like with cartridges

Attached: arturo.jpg (500x580, 25K)

Weren't N64 cardrige only capable of stocking 64mb for the biggest titles?

You just know

I still remember the sound that my PSP-1000 made when it was loading games.

Nintendo's reluctancy to ditch cartridges

Yes. Only two games were 64 MB anyway - Conker's Bad Fur Day and Resident Evil 2. I think Pokemon Stadium 2 might have been 48 MB, it was the only one.

Everything else is 32 MB or lower. Mario 64 is 8 MB.

No
t. Viper modchip installer

When people had no mini-DVD, just remove the console's top, use a tape for the switch and use a regular DVD disc

>Rent game
>Duplicate it
>Go back
>"Bro, it is not working on my machine!"
>Grab another game
>Copy again
>2 new games for 7.68$

Convenience of a cartridge, small, protected and lots of data for cheap + Movies, concerts, music and else

Just remove the UMD disc unit for a second battery and flash it to 6.60Pro-B10

Zelda disc with OoT Master Quest and a 1.0 Smash Melee copy

>hacked my GameCube
>have a GB player with a flashcart
>can play literally any GB/GBC/GBA/GC game I want
>sit on Yea Forums refreshing Yea Forums
What is wrong with me?

Attached: manlytears showing off his gamecube collection.jpg (1300x866, 113K)

Just because you can doesn't mean you actually want to.

You better be using Game Boy Interface.

Yes.
Outputting 240p over an official component cable to a 600TVL BVM.

I guess I'm just not interested in videogames any more.

Damn son, I'm jealous.

nitedo purposely makes stuff fail over time so you'll rebuy games on their current platform

Attached: curl.jpg (800x450, 40K)

Attached: 20190813_044740.jpg (3264x2448, 2.28M)

this but unironically.
Enjoy your wasted money.
i miss disc cases

i own everything relevant
all zeldas
all pokemon
metroid prime 1 and 2
double dash and sunshine
melee
luigis mansion
fzero
star fox
donkey konga
sonic andventure 02
metal gear
pikmin
wario ware

only games id like in my collection are pikmin 2, 1000 year door and mega man network transmisson but the pal versions are more then 50€ each

So they can fit your dick in them.
You're missing robotech battlecry and P.N. 03

Based

Never happened

Because Japs have small dicks and normal DVDs are intimating.

Why does the switch still use cartridges?

I didn't even read the filename and was JUST about to comment "Manlytears showing off his gamecube collection" before I saw it.

He truly is the manlet of legend.

Attached: Manlytears first cosplay.jpg (640x480, 64K)

Because disc drives aren't fast enough to keep up with the datastream required for modern games. That is why you gotta wait 50 minutes to play a new PS4 game, because it has to install to the harddrive first.

The ideal medium for the future would be some kind of ROM based soultion.

oh... and also because it's intended to be used in handheld mode. Can't have moving parts in a handheld.

rom cartridges are fucking expensive, flash is the next best thing

So make carts that are literally just SSDs with funky pinouts.
Oh how circular the gamin' industry became.
Also, because spinning discs in a portable system is retarded given shifting alignment is the bane of being able to read a disc, and a portable system is gonna be under a LOT of shifting about.

Demo disc for rogue squadron 3

>like Earthbound which sold over a million units.
Ha, you faggot tranny mother fans wish your games were that successful

psp did okay though

>make disks brittle so people would buy re-releases which aren't that common for Nintendo anyway
>but create the most durable console in existence to run them on
I doubt it