Gothic 2

It's time to discuss the best RPG ever made Yea Forums

Attached: aaa.jpg (1024x768, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!R8dhiCCA!HHdFVt4aD19kQfiYzk9rBi8K5rVU0SsRN09LtkY5qcg
gothic-dx11.de/download/XVersions/GD3D11_X17_1.zip
nexusmods.com/gothic2/mods/4
moddb.com/mods/lhiver-edition-vanilla-gothic/addons/lhiver-edition-graphics-world-vurt-v091
i.imgur.com/TZYVxmS.jpg
youtu.be/eX4BGaKG5VM
youtu.be/of3i4DUVx2g
pastebin.com/mBNpUHbA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you insist.

Attached: 220px-PC_Game_Fallout_2.jpg (220x220, 18K)

Firstly, FO1 > FO2 in every aspect except the number of cringey jokes and references.
Secondly, Gothic 2 indeed offers more meaningful C&C than Fallout not mentioning that its world is miles above in verisimilitude and consistency than FO2.

How did you like ELEX? I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Gothic 2 Patching guide with graphics mods

Download this and install the patches in the correct order (read the installation order text file). You have to install these for the Steam or the GoG version or else the game won't run properly.
mega.nz/#!R8dhiCCA!HHdFVt4aD19kQfiYzk9rBi8K5rVU0SsRN09LtkY5qcg

Then download this and extract everything to the "system" folder in your Gothic 2 folder
gothic-dx11.de/download/XVersions/GD3D11_X17_1.zip
This makes the graphics a lot better, adds new shaders, increases the draw distance etc + fixes performance issues.

Additional Graphics mods (choose ONE of the two). Both of these work with the DX11 mod above. Both of these are installed by simply dropping the .vdf file into your "Data" folder (with other .vdf files in it)
Vurt's Graphics Overhaul:
This is the most vanilla-friendly graphics mod. It mostly only improves the textures/meshes.
nexusmods.com/gothic2/mods/4

L'hiver Vanilla Edition:
Changes the graphics + changes and expands the map. Edits certain locations and models, adds new buildings, new objects. It offers the best graphics imo but the downside is that it adds too many unnecessary trees in some locations.
moddb.com/mods/lhiver-edition-vanilla-gothic/addons/lhiver-edition-graphics-world-vurt-v091

Here are screenshots comparing the two mods:
i.imgur.com/TZYVxmS.jpg

If the in-game videos are very small go to the Gothic.ini file in the "system" folder and make these two lines have these values:
zVidResFullscreenX=640
zVidResFullscreenY=360

Attached: Gothic 2 Screenshot 2018.12.01 - 12.27.36.15.png (1920x1080, 3.74M)

there are multiple Dark Souls threads in the catalog, you fag

You are right! Unfortunately, Dark Souls is not even an action RPG, yet alone a pure RPG.

I expected it to be trash but it turned out to be really enjoyable and I hope elex 2 is a thing. I should get around to replaying it as a different faction.

They are definitely working on ELEX2 as they received funding from the EU for it

Gothic 2 has a similar gameplay
if DS isn't an RPG, then Gothic isn't either

>Dark Souls is not even an action RPG, yet alone a pure RPG.
Dark Souls is more of an RPG than Gothic 2.

What's there to discuss?

2019 Yea Forums everyone, where Souls, Zelda BotW and Witcher 3 are the pinnacle of role-playing

Well at least there's more of that than in some random eurojank.

I sincerely hope the next great roleplaying game of the century you discover will be Konung or some shit like that.

I enjoyed Elex for the most part even though I dislike firearms/sci fi. The Piranha formula, when applied well is a great way to play games. Gothic 1 & 2 are still king though.

Attached: sleeper.png (440x290, 134K)

Git gud.

Attached: 2j.webm (1050x590, 1.26M)

What, the "git gud" mantra doesn't work on Souls fanboys, huh? Git gud, sweety.

It's funny you mention Konung as you probably played it with a shitty translation, so even here your opinion is invalidated.

Is that supposed to be an example of well-designed gameplay?

Oh really? Let's see
>Gothic 2
Predefined MC
Faction system for "roleplaying", all these factions are functionally identical down to most errands you have to run for them, in fact most factions share the same exact quests
No matter which faction you pick, the main quest is still the exact same, maybe with one or two different dialogue boxes for flavour once in a while
None of what you do matters in the long run as the game still bottlenecks you into the same ending no matter what you pretended you did up to then
Hypersimplified stat system where none of your player stats matter regarding roleplaying choices
Hypersimplified combat where the most exotic thing you can find is maces or hammers having a blunt attribute that ultimately doesn't matter beyond a bunch of golems in 1 and straight up doesn't exist in 2
>DS
Completely customizable MC
Faction system for online play that defines how you behave in respect to other players
Quests that can be solved in different ways leading to different developments and endings, meaning at least here the few choices you have matter
In depth stat system that doesn't matter in regards to actual roleplay but at least isn't awful shit like Gothic, with outrageously dumb mechanics like dice rolls for ranged attack checks or magic doing fixed damage
Functional combat with massive weapon variety and functional mechanics like character weight and various attributes that also work as intended

Seems to me like DS wins hands down, it's also fun how you bitch about Witcher 3 when Gothic games are what inspired those games to begin with.

It's the most fun I've had with random townspeople NPCs slapping me silly for no reason

Attached: 2994834892494.jpg (500x367, 50K)

>well-designed gameplay?
In that case we can safely assume you are no longer talking about Dark Souls which has hitboxes the size of your mother's arsehole.

>all these factions are functionally identical down to most errands you have to run for them, in fact most factions share the same exact quests
No matter which faction you pick, the main quest is still the exact same, maybe with one or two different dialogue boxes for flavour once in a while
... aaand confirmed for not having played the fucking game. Could soulstards make winning this argument any easier? I mean, pretty much admitting to not having played the game, and right at the start of the post, so we wouldn't have to read the rest of your drivel!
Truly, an ideal representative of the cause.

>Dark Souls isn't well designe-

Attached: Dark Souls - Knight Artorias Fight.webm (600x336, 2.94M)

youtu.be/eX4BGaKG5VM

Eurofag detected.

>he isn't european

Attached: 1509703674217.png (254x208, 97K)

I think Khorinis is still the best RPG town

No no, it's firelink shrine

>... aaand confirmed for not having played the fucking game.
I played it more than you did.
Don't try to pretend it's not like that, you can be a pally, a merc or a red mage, the quests are still exactly the same outside of a bunch of faction specific quests, which are all MMO tier stuff.
Even if you do something like the entire thieves' guild chain nobody bats an eye regarding your affiliations because they do not matter.
When you go back to the old mines it's the same shit regardless of the faction you choose, same exact questlines with maybe some flavour text once in a while if you're lucky.
The whole Dragon Hunt section is the exact same with one or two sidequests per faction so that they can justify their existence and give you some faction exclusive goodie which won't matter one bit because the game is absurdly easy and broken, NoTR content is even worse since it's almost completely disconnected from Khorinis too.

And again, as if all of this bullshit wasn't enough, the game ends always in the same exact way, you kill the undead dragon(because of course they had to recycle a boss ANOTHER time) and the game ends in the same exact way no matter your faction or what you did throughout the game, you're not even given a choice to side with the dragon for that matter, which was one of the very few things G3 did right, give you actual choices with consequences outside of a list of quest rewards and one more shitty NPC dead.
But sure, tell me all about how your red mages' sausages are not the same as a stew with the mercs in the farms and how this is the epithome or """""""""""roleplaying""""""""".

so what are the good points of this game. Yea Forums wanks it to no end but never says WHY its a good game

It has a very well designed world to explore, that's it, it's all Piranhabytes does well, the rest ranges from passable to really bad.

git gud

so pretty much it has a nice map and everything else is c tier or worse.
i am no cartographer so its a pass on this game

>have been replaying this game nearly annually for the past 15 years
>only recently learned that you can hire Mika to defeat them for you
Gothic 2 is a gift that keeps giving. I learn new shit about it every time.

> I learn new shit about it every time.
Like that it tries to do everything Dark Souls does but fails?

its honestly just a shitty dark souls rip off. idk why anyone would buy this game much less than 2013 when it released

Checklist of a good game:

Makes zoomer seethe: V

Gothic 2 is a good game

chuckled

>I think I know what RPGs are, but I really don't
RPGs aren't always about character creation. Major parts of RPGs back then were mainly that you roll some random stats and the go with what you got, forcing you, the player, to adapt to the role your character can fulfill with his stats. Then you go about building your char up with what fits.
Gothic 2 pretty much falls into this category.

Now let's go:
>Faction system for online play that defines how you behave in respect to other players
lol, I guess Call of Duty is an RPG as well, because you either role play the one side or the other, dictating your behavior towards your allies and your enemies. The difference is pretty much who you kill and who you help. Acting like that is some indepth RPG shit is laughable.
You saying G2 factions mostly share the exact same quests shows that you never even played the different factions. Every single chapter has faction specific quests. Unless of course you mean all factions have the same main quests, which is duh. But I wouldn't be surprised if you really were so retarded - judging by your whole post - and you were talking about main quests here.
>No matter which faction you pick, the main quest is still the exact same, maybe with one or two different dialogue boxes for flavour once in a while
As opposed to DaS?
>None of what you do matters in the long run as the game still bottlenecks you into the same ending no matter what you pretended you did up to then
Just like Souls games, then. Because those have "diverting paths" even a level under Mass Effect 3. In DaS the ending solely depends on whether you light the flame or leave the arena.

(cont.)

>zoom zoom zoomer I am le boomer

Attached: quake_niggur.jpg (219x241, 13K)

youtu.be/of3i4DUVx2g
We need music in this thread

Attached: 728.png (299x455, 243K)

zoomers HATE this game like few others

have sex

Lads please I'm feeling bored I need a game to chill like I used to back in the Oblivion days but I don't want to replay Oblivion, already played Gothic 2 btw need something else to chill in

(cont.)

>Hypersimplified stat system where none of your player stats matter regarding roleplaying choices
Again you show that you have not a single idea what you're talking about. The different stats do more than just influence damage calculation. Want to be a thief? DEX influences lockpicking and pickpocketing. Not much, but at least something. Absolutely nothing stat related in any Soulsborne game influences actual roleplaying stuff. Every single stat is only combat related.
>Hypersimplified combat where the most exotic thing you can find is maces or hammers having a blunt attribute that ultimately doesn't matter beyond a bunch of golems in 1 and straight up doesn't exist in 2
It's still very well in place in G2 and you're showing your casual as you obviously haven't played NotR with a mage, because having a blunt weapon with a weak character is absolutely essential against the stone guardians. Now Souls games on the other hand have no real differentiation between the weapons that FORCE you to adapt. It's all just personal preference in what weapon you use.
>Quests that can be solved in different ways leading to different developments and endings, meaning at least here the few choices you have matter
>Souls games
>Quests
I'm starting to think you're some sort of comedian. And then topping it of with "can be solved in different ways". Comedy gold right there.
Now G2 on the other hand has actual quests, and they can be solved in different manners. Not all, but some if not many. You can enter Khorinis in 7 different ways, for example.
>In depth stat system that doesn't matter in regards to actual roleplay but at least isn't awful shit like Gothic, with outrageously dumb mechanics like dice rolls for ranged attack checks or magic doing fixed damage
You mean with insanely stupid decisions like "iframes are locked to a stat". Yeah, genius.

(cont.)

(cont.)

>Functional combat with massive weapon variety
Which does absolutely nothing as weapon choice is purely preference. I give you the rest of the sentence, but not every game needs weight.

Seems to me that you are a fucking retard that never really played G2 at all, hands down.

alright kiddo. i love gothic 2 also but keep the blog to your discord

That person was either
- a troll
- a narrow-minded individual who has only played console action turds
- a failed case of git gud

You are wasting your time.

Hey I love Arcanum

Attached: arcanum property.jpg (1024x768, 210K)

>nooooo, stop talking about vidya on a vidya board
>I got told because I'm a retard, better handwave it and call him kid
Jesus, are you 12?

no but you are if you think i am the same guy. sorry i didnt like your little speech about why gothic 2 is superior to dark souls. maybe posting your thesis would have been better

Hey guys can you recommend me a comfy open world rpg. The more sandboxy it is the better.

>being this passive aggressive on a Mongolian basket weaving platform
What's her name, user?
And you are right, you are not the same person, because the dark souls dude at least was able to use proper capitalization and punctuation. He is probably 12, you write more like kindergarten.

epic slam bro. can't wait for you to screenshot and post to reddit. and passive aggressive? what am i supposed to hack the main frame find your address and fist fight you over my honor?

unironically Gothic 3
make sure to install community patch 1.75

Gothic 1? Risen?

Skyrim

Is it possible to play a mage in this game? Or a battlemage? And what armor set is that in the OP pic? I just purchased the game on Steam.

Thanks for the setup guide mate!

mage yes, and make sure to kill everything on the map before moving onto the next chapter

This, Morrowind and Arx Fatalis are among my favorite games. 90s/early 2000s RPGs are so fucking comfy.

I LOVE GOTHIC

based
I think part of it is the graphic style. These blocky textures with clearly defined edges just make me feel nostalgic

so i got gothic 2 after having played gothic 1 a lot when i was younger but i decided to use the l'hiver mod mostly for the graphics and some of the changes they made because i read in NOTR they fucked the point system up and you're forced to be very autistic with your permanent stat boosting items but what the fuck is this difficulty? nothing like gothic 1 im level 5 and cant even take on 2 giant rats at the same time because of the insane damage increase they added to the calculation iread they increased it to a minimum of 25 damage instead of 5? when you only get 5 extra hp per level? WHAT and the A,I increase is insane too every fucking enemy is a master tactician and dodges EVERYTHING
and side stepping does almost nothing because most enemies never use their lunging forward attack so every fucking fight has no become just sit there and tank it and hope you somehow kill it first

>no cute girls
no thanks

Attached: 1537836312821.png (900x1200, 1.56M)

yea use stat boosts like bare minimum at 66 in the stat

Just backstep

U jelly

Based

I just wanted to drop by and say thank you for making a Gothic thread user.

Oh shit you got me. I'm actually living in a first world country. How will I ever recover, Cletus?

stop spamming the same thread over and over again like a retard
nobody cares about your nostalgia fucking pathetic cukold

Why do children now don't like challenging and/or immersive games? Is it just a cultural shift that we will never overcome?

>RPGs aren't always about character creation.
Sure, but having character creation is much better than playing as a predefined character.
>lol, I guess Call of Duty is an RPG as well, because you either role play the one side or the other
Being disingenuous doesn't do you any good, and it's still a better faction system than Gothic games.
>Every single chapter has faction specific quests.
Yeah, as I said, a bunch of MMO tier shit that does nothing but give you a bunch of loot and experience, big deal.
>As opposed to DaS?
Souls games actually do have faction involvement and endings that acknowledge it, meanwhile G2 doesn't.
>Just like Souls games, then. Because those have "diverting paths" even a level under Mass Effect 3
And that's still more than G2 will ever have.
>The different stats do more than just influence damage calculation
No they don't, the only thing that has a marginal effect on anything besides combat is DEX, do note that I didn't claim Souls was better either, but somehow you imply I did.
>because having a blunt weapon with a weak character is absolutely essential against the stone guardians.
Ah yes, a mage with Ice Block, summons and whatnot truly has to whack a stone guardian with shitty blunt weapons that are inferiors to any other available option, and of course, a mage would truly invest into STR rather than DEX when you could get a master sword and coast through the game up until NoTR's content is unlocked, but somehow I am the one who hasn't played the game.
>Now Souls games on the other hand have no real differentiation between the weapons that FORCE you to adapt
Except they do, more than G2 ever will since not only their attributes matter, there's more.
>You can enter Khorinis in 7 different ways, for example.
And only one of those is good, taking the detour by swimming, so?
>You mean with insanely stupid decisions like "iframes are locked to a stat"
Only one game made that mistake, meanwhile Gothic had plenty in all games.

Attached: 1564971362103.png (281x326, 171K)

>Gothic games
>Challenging or immersive

t. never played the game

Welp, this is it Yea Forums, think i'm just gonna end it here, I dont think I can take this shit anymore.
>epstien shit has me freaking out
>just lost 3k in stocks
>family wants to kill me
>keep hearing niggers and homos giggling 10 feet from my window every night
>get gang stalked every single day
>older brother has recently came out as a tranny and has admitted he has sexual feelings for me
Since you guys have always been my favorite board, and kept me entertained. I'll return the favor. I'll be streaming my suicide in about 10 minutes. In the mean time, I shall answer any questions, suggestions, etc

>inb4 go out in a blaze of glory
No, not going to ruin other peoples lives.
>inb4 why dont you make your own thread
ISP is blocked or some shit. so just posting this in first thread i see.
>inb4 is there anything i can do to change your mind
Nope, its Happening.

stream URL and quick rundown:
pastebin.com/mBNpUHbA

See you all soon.
~AX

Attached: IMG_2019SJZNW38392_28TIIG.jpg (1024x768, 99K)

Go back to your smash thread faggot

>WHAT and the A,I increase is insane too every fucking enemy is a master tactician and dodges EVERYTHING
Animals can't block attacks, and very rarely dodge.
Your best bet against them is to time your swings to catch them on the approach and cancel their attack.
I've killed enemies way over my level that can two shot me by doing this.
It's kinda monotonous to do it for that long, but that's what you get for fighting over your head.
The side swings work better for this too, at least at low weapon skill % since the forward attack combo seems to have more recovery which many animals can cover and swipe at you during.

Why are you playing a mod if it makes it worse?
Just killed 3 rats lvl 1 a few days ago.
Git gud, scrub.