The Golden Age of RuneScape: 2004-2007

When you late 90s-early 2000s borns say how you miss "old RuneScape", you're not really thinking of classic RS; you're thinking of an economy sterilized by the Grand Exchange (which removed a lot of player-to-player interactivity from the game and made items lose their value as items), the horrendous trade limit, Bounty Hunter, Summoning messing up the combat level system, worrying about revenants instead of player-killers in the Wilderness, and Party Pete having an afro.

Back around 2004-2007, RuneScape was the best of the best. While you late 90s-early 2000s borns were watching Cheese and Fred Fredburger act like idiots on Cartoon Network, we early to mid-90s borns, who also witnessed the Golden Age of Cartoon Network (CCF, weekday Toonami, etc.) enjoyed the best of what RuneScape had to offer. Castle Wars was the minigame to play. TzTok-Jad was the monster to beat. Abyssal whips and Ancient Magicks ruled the combat world. Completing Monkey Madness to upgrade your dragon longsword to a dragon scimitar was a rite of passage. Zezima was our idol. Skychi provided us with the best YouTube content. We didn't clean herbs; we identified them. We traded directly with other players. Getting teleblocked in the Wilderness was your worst nightmare. We remember the Falador Massacre.

Attached: beforeGE.jpg (473x311, 61K)

pitty bump

Attached: 3.png (1366x768, 560K)

I agree

I don't even care about half of that stuff, I just miss the player interaction side of it. You could wander to the most remote corner of your world and still make a friend by accident. If you were struggling with something, you asked a player and they told you to follow them and they'd tell/show you what you needed to do. Any time you ran through Varrock the chat would be moving so fast you'd have to scroll for two minutes to accept a trade request until you finally realised you could hide public chat.

Literally none of that stuff exists any more and it sucks dick.

Thank you. These were the days.

Attached: skychi.jpg (480x360, 13K)

I was too busy with Star Wars Galaxies to care much about Runescape.

I was just walking through taverly the other day and complimented a dudes granite set. We talked for 30 mins and became buds. I was doing the heros quest the day after and ran into some other dudes in brimhaven that helped me out with the candlestick. This stuff still happens all the time

This is definitely true. RuneScape started feeling more "corporate" after that. Even in OSRS, players are all about preventing "XP waste" at the expense of the camaraderie that made RuneScape great. It's like what happened to Cartoon Network after Betty Cohen resigned and Jim Samples took over.

Attached: trading.png (514x335, 146K)

yeah people who complain clearly just powerlevel at maximum efficiency and havent even used chat once.

Yes, fuck OSRS, fuck the GE, and FUCK bond babies.

Earlier Runescape that was sprite based is better. Fuck the soulless Chinese abomination that Runescape has become today.

like 2 years ago i started playing again, would log on to chop yews and shit, always stayed in Skychi's clanchat, one or two people would hop in a day. Then one day Skychi hopped in with one of his friends and we all just shot the shit for like 3 hours, It was so weird because kid me would be shitting his pants but he was just a really cool guy.

This is the best Runescape.

Attached: the real old school runescape.png (512x351, 83K)

>economy sterilized by the Grand Exchange (which removed a lot of player-to-player interactivity
EXACTLY user I've been autistically ranting about the GE forever. The game has been reduced to a mindless EXP grind where you buy X amount of materials for Y amount of gold, spend 5 hours crafting the same item and then sell it for Z amount of gold.
It feels and plays like a single player game with the occasional player ghost running past you that doesn't even know you exist. When I signed up for "OS" runescape I was expecting the authentic oldschool experience, not 2019 NPCscape with 10 years of shitty updates getting reverted. \

It used to be you NEEDED to gain contacts and form friendships in order to reliably get materials to craft with, unless you were a solo autist who tried to do everything your self.

Attached: 1565282124946.jpg (500x375, 45K)

nah

Attached: hqdefault (1).jpg (480x360, 20K)

>It feels and plays like a single player game with the occasional player ghost running past you that doesn't even know you exist.
It's because everyone who plays it is old now and all they do is min/max shit and go pking. There's no adventure any more because there's nothing to discover.

The game was the best when everyone was 9-16 years old

nah I played from 2004-2008 or 9 and I appreciated GE. Meant I didn't have to spend hours standing around a bank typing shit.

This was the real best.

I quit as soon as rs2 came out, it just wasnt fun.

Imagine feeling better than a group of people just because you're like 5 years older than them.

Attached: 1564506620361.jpg (679x720, 97K)

Its not just runescape, its WoW and every other casualized game.

Part of it was because the state of the Internet itself was different back then. Everything was still fresh and interesting, the concept of being able to interact and play with so many people at once was new and exciting to a lot of people, and there wasn't a detailed wiki that told you exactly how to do everything and what the "best" way to play the game was, you had to talk to people to get the information or items you needed. Doesn't mean that Runescape is/was a bad game, it's still got great writing/quests, great world building, and an amazing soundtrack that makes you feel like you're actually going on an adventure, it's just that the community and the player interaction was a product of its time.

The golden age of Runescape was when it was 2D, you absolute children

The fact that half of you don't recognise rs pvp as the only good thing rs had going for it is shocking.

I still remember spending hours in seers village spamming "BUYING DHAROK SET" back then. Looking back I thought I preferred that but after playing pre GE pre trading post OSRS where all you had was Zybez and spamming in varrock the GE is just much better

I agree with you user but this was still a very cringe post. Chug bleach

I was born in 1999 and I only fucks with Minecraft

To me, RuneScape Classic is the equivalent to Checkerboard Era CN. In fact, RuneScape periods can be mapped to equivalent Cartoon Network eras.

>RS Classic [Jan 01-Dec 03]: Checkerboard CN [Oct 92-Jul 97] (humble beginnings, the seeds for greatness are planted with the first quests, SGC2C, Dexter's Lab, Toonami, etc.)
>RS2 Beta [Dec 03-Mar 04]: Starburst CN [Jul 97-Jun 98] (the forgotten mini-era, transition into the Golden Age)
>Classic RS2 [Mar 04-Dec 07]: Powerhouse CN [Jun 98-Jun 04] (the Golden Age. Things that defined both entities shine brighest here, such as Cartoon Cartoons, Toonami, Castle Wars, Barrows, the Wilderness, etc. The introduction of the GE is the RS equivalent of weekday Toonami being swapped out for Miguzi, as they occurred right before even bigger changes)
>Post-Classic RS2 [Dec 07-Nov 12]: City/YES/Fall CN [June 04-Jul 08] (I combined these eras into one as it was a steady decline. RSHD and CN City were similar as they both used a pretty aesthetic to cover up underlying problems that were happening.)
>EOC [Nov 12-Feb 13]: Noods CN [Jul 08-May 10] (The Dark Ages. EOC made RS unrecognizable, while CN Real debuted in the Noods era)
>Classic OSRS [Feb 13-Feb 15]: CN Renaissance [May 10-Mar 14]: (OSRS is conceived and feels just like Golden Age RS from the mid-2000s. CN enters a renaissance with the quadrange (AT, RS, Gumball, and SU), Cartoon Planet, and DC Nation.
>Modern OSRS [Feb 15-present]: TTG Network [Feb 14-present] (GE introduced to OSRS, removing a big part of the old-school feel. Christina Miller takes over for Stuart Snyder and immediately clogs the schedule with TTG)

Attached: CNPowerhouse.jpg (259x194, 5K)

>tfw runescape
I miss so much because i’m newfag noob poorfag turd world shitter.

>Got rubber chicken at the time
>Thought nothing of it
>Lost account
>Mfw it's value now

Attached: 1539641719206.jpg (749x537, 40K)

I guess there's truth to that. Doesn't mean the G.E wasn't a death blow to the social aspect of the game.

>best RS
>not RS 2
RS 2 had the best look, the graphics were timeless, they had a dreamlike feel to them, the music was surreal, the self conscious and self aware nature of the quests and the game in addition to everthing else gave the game an otherworldly feeling

this. loved it. wouldn't tell a soul in middle school that i played it though.

anyone i argue with about some autistic shit and they mention grand exchange in some way i get to call them a huge faggot

The only people who like GE are the people who couldn't figure out colored wavy text

>cant run away until 3 turns are up
man i remember autistically grinding chickens to make a prayer beast and lining up on the wilderness line jsut hoping to 3 shot someone with a rune 2h

GE killed it's soul but improved the economy dramatically

i started playing osrs recently and i like it but dont like it

i stopped playing rs2 right before it opened. when dragon dagger/scimitar were the thing and there were only dragon med helms

Well said.

Attached: RSDance.jpg (300x168, 6K)