¿What are some examples of visual effects that just dont work or fail to give the intended effect in videogames?

¿What are some examples of visual effects that just dont work or fail to give the intended effect in videogames?

Attached: 2uqveOxx8Q_Dq_MVuJSEke1jBo0pg0HgW6IzovTc_tQ.jpg (800x831, 100K)

>Motion blur

Attached: 3193120-motion%20blur.png (480x270, 222K)

>OP is a retard who turns on HDR with an LDR monitor

Attached: 1565540788443.jpg (700x466, 52K)

I think depth of field works in some ways.

whats LDR
I usually turn it off, for tryhard reasons

Attached: steamworkshop_webupload_previewfile_134522361_preview.jpg (1024x512, 85K)

>DoF in photography

Attached: depth-of-field-photography-sea-landscape-1.jpg (700x438, 38K)

Name ONE post-processing that actually makes games look better.

Pro tip, you can't

Attached: AI_research_side_by_side.0.jpg (1200x800, 127K)

ambient occlusion
don't be poor

>he hasn't seen it in the assassin's creed games

>people spend a fortune on better lenses to get rid of chromatic aberration
>HURR LET'S JUST ADD IT TO EVERY MODERN GAME
I hate this shit more than anything else. It does not make sense unless you're a fucking camera.

b-but muh bloom

Attached: T0AXY5V.jpg (3363x1051, 442K)

Ambient Occlusion if done right

idk i could probably be fooled by the ai video if i wasn't scrutinizing it

it does make sense you artless idiot. photography is not just an attempt to reach at "photorealism", it is also an artform based in the aesthetics of technology and particular machines and their character.

DoF is the fucking worst dude, even worse than chromatic aberration. If you're focusing on something on-screen, your brain naturally tunes the rest out but DoF double-dips it and makes it look fucking shit and unnatural. Forces you to center your aim wherever your eyes dart to keep consistent, which is impossible. It's hilarious when it's not in effect as you walk in the open, but as you walk past an object like a pillar or something it suddenly remembers OH SHIT QUICK THROW WATER IN HIS EYES and everything just blurs out for half a second

shut the fuck up

take your 2007 joke back to where you came from
we've been doing proper tonemapping since 2009

Attached: uCvQb.jpg (977x653, 123K)

DoF can be useful VERY rarely. The way it was used in the new yoshi game was nice.

>source engine
YIKES
that thing was obsolete a decade ago

all of them

tell me about it
i remember i used to play tf2 on a 2011 PC at 120 fps
nowadays with all the shit they added i could barely reach 60 fps on the same PC with all that bloat

¿Thoughts on TF2 visual style?

Attached: ilustrative_rendering_tf2_4.2.png (927x864, 338K)

Attached: ilustrative_rendering_tf2.png (589x903, 223K)

completely unremarkable

That paper does nothing but reiterate things that every single artist on earth, both 2d and 3d already knew because we've been doing it since the 1920s

As usual Valve's cultists lapped it up like shape and color design was utter genius and groundbreaking

Attached: muh loomis.png (849x539, 676K)

Not related but I just got the Nathan Drake collection from the PS Store sale and oh wow, the first Uncharted game looks like AA version of Hunt Down The Freeman. Early 360 and PS3 era games look just awful.

I hate screenshake so goddamn much jesus christ just stop already not being able to tell what the fuck is going on because the game is emulating michael j fox is horrible

You're right that like shape language and contrast has been a thing in design since forever, but at the same time not all games make proper use of that design principle. Most games add a lot of noise on top of that foundation, which often ruins that foundation or forgets about it or maybe some executive tells the art team to add more "cool" to everything. A lot of games seem to fail in keeping that kind of art direction at the core of what they're doing, so I wouldn't say it's valve cultism to praise Valve for doing a good thing.

fuck does this mean

Attached: 1521920728709.png (665x598, 104K)

Attached: ilustrativerendering_intro.png (499x901, 249K)

Get a good hdr tv.
Only the samsung 9 series and oleds count.

Hate it in every game except doom in 144fps

AI feels like a weird vivid dream

dof doesn't really work because eyes focus on whatever you're looking at while blurring everything else even if they're far or close. dof in games just makes everything blurry that isn't close so if i'm looking far away it just makes the game look bad.

Are you this underage and don't remember the "HDR" options in the settings long before HDR panels were even commercially made

HDR lighting isnt the same thing as HDR colour you retard.

x900f user here

is good too

Tesselation