Did GoW2 push PS2 to it's limits?

Did GoW2 push PS2 to it's limits?

Attached: godofwar2-architecture.png (600x487, 360K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/oBtdtMhJEYU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gears of war 2 was an Xbox exclusive retard!

No, Final Fantasy XII and RE4 did.

Shadow of the Colossus is the most impressive PS2 game imo.

yes,poly count looks pretty high,but there are better looking ps2 games,such as ff12,black

>Black
Fuck that's a good game.
I've been meaning to replay it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

>Did GoW2 push PS2 to it's limits?
Pretty close I think.

FF12 definitely had insane textures and poly counts, though given the speed and action and more camera movement of GoW2 it pushes in its own way.

Shadow of the Colossus would be another one that pushed the PS2. The poly and texture aspects there were much lower, but they went really wild with the lighting engine, world was fairly large for PS2, and environmental effects, a lot of "painting with light" stuff which made for the unique feel to it and matched the game theme. Though it ended up lagging badly in a few places as a result.

Attached: 1384461789054.jpg (1920x1080, 1.15M)

PS2 could unironically pull of better grafics than some AA Japanese PS3 games.
Hell MGS3 HD kinda looks like an early PS3/360 game in HD.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 151K)

Late PS2 games FFXII, GOW2, GT4, and MGS3 all did pretty amazing things with the hardware and “pushed the system to its limit” in their own ways.

Sometimes i wonder if Japanese developers just lower our standards for grafics in modern games for us who like Japanese games.

Attached: ss_b9edf7c7049f10b352eb5104893c87bebd06ace4.1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 998K)

the cell processor killed many coders

Attached: cell.png (632x227, 23K)

games like the REmake pushed the system though. Long 70 hour JRPGs however had corners cut to be able to be that long. A prettier FFX was a lot more of a corridor

kingdom hearts 2 did

Attached: 1000 heartless.jpg (1280x720, 64K)

GOW2 blew my fucking mind. Though I do remember some of the camerawork being wonky to make sure it didnt push the system over its limits

>that pic
Holy fuck what a load of bullshit.
Cell had some neat multi threading possibilities for it's time, but that was it.
t.Game Dev

True. Those games also look wonderful when rendered in HD. The devs went beyond the PS2 in a lot of aspects.

Shadow of the colossus did

>he isnt privy to the cells inner workings and doesnt know how to tap into the infinite power backloop

Attached: _g_ grows up.jpg (520x702, 100K)

they often went beyond for bullshots and then brought it back to make it run at an acceptable FPS. you could often see this with games on both PS2 and xbox. Where the xbox version looked better because they didnt have to compromise as much.

unironically kh1 and kh2 are the best looking games on ps2

did you really just sperg out over some dumb kid from 9 years ago saying stupid shit his older brother or some faggot at the playground told him

I thought it is only a legend made up by weaboos on a pocky stick discussion forum!?

Attached: 1459195253188.jpg (1920x2560, 1.35M)

The 1000 heartless fight is a perfect example of a downgrade though.
The actual fight had to make a lot of sacrifices. It's basically like any other arena fight in the game except enemies continuously spawn in. You can tell that the "enemies" on the edges of the arena are actually an illusion.
It also only has two enemy types, fewer than what was advertised in the trailer.

The Xbox was a lot more powerful than the PS2 in virtually every way, nobody is denying that.

The PS2 was interesting because it was unusual hardware that needed lots of time and effort to figure out. The difference between FFXII and Summoner or Black and TimeSplitters says it all.

Sometimes I watch videos on YouTube and the PS2 gen games look better than I remember, stuff like Burnout 3. They look great because devs really 3d programming and design for a decade.

what I meant to say is that it seems like they overdesigned the game and then scaled them back down. As a result scaling them back up doesnt make them look as bad.

That said the PS2 stuff is still impressive. Personally silent hill always was the most impressive to me. The jump from SH1 to SH2 and 3 is insane. And SH2 and 3 have some really awesome stuff like the mirror room in SH3. The character models also look really lifelike. Almost a full generation ahead.

I love looking at PS2 games played with optimal resolution.

youtu.be/oBtdtMhJEYU

RE4 was a Gamecube game ported to ps2. It was made for a graphically inferior console

You say that and although ps2 re4 got more content it got a graphical downgrade.

i thought the gamecube was superior in graphics

Attached: resident evil 4.jpg (2200x900, 1.53M)

(You)

Gamecube was graphically superior, hindered by it's smaller disc sizes. If they hadn't gone with such a stupid gimmick, they could have done so much more.

RE4 on GC is graphically superior than the PS2 version. PS2 version cut down a lot of poly counts on models, reduced textures, and removed or reduced fog and lighting effects quality in a lot of areas. It's truly a shame that the PS2 version was used as the "definitive" version, seeing as how it was downgraded slightly for the PS2.

KH2FM and MGS3:S pushed it to its limits.

Shadow of the Colossus

Mother fucker dropped frames like spaghetti whenever you were close to a colossus’ foot with all the particle effects

SotC
GTA:SA
MGS3
KH2
Black
GoW2
Time Splitters 3

Those off the top of my head pushed the PS2 pretty hard. They were all games that impressed the hell out of me as a teenager.

the gamecube was superior though it was literally more powerful

kino list

I've always liked how Rogue Galaxy looked like desu, even now.