Just got this puppy and am starting with mgs1 (the codes actually still worked)

just got this puppy and am starting with mgs1 (the codes actually still worked).

what am I in for bros, never played a mgs before.

and should I play the 2d games? the psp games?

Attached: MGL_cover_art[1].jpg (294x339, 23K)

Lots of fun and lots of exposition. Also Solid Snake > Naked Snake/Big Boss

Just play the game and stop relying on everyone else’s opinion.

I need some tips because I suck

What he said. In fact leave the thread before any spoiler talk happens. If you really wanna go all in, go ahead and play Acid 1 and 2 and Portable Ops. There’s also Ghost Babel.
Now leave and have fun

Attached: CFA150ED-99F3-49C6-B7FE-FEDC7A44DF99.jpg (654x639, 65K)

Don’t worry about getting detected and restarting, it’s not ranked until later games. It honestly frustrated me instead of just enjoying the game and exploring the TECHNOLOGY stuff. The bosses aren’t hard either, just stuff you gotta figure out, if you need tips that’s what the codec is for.

Expect your casual ass to get frustrated and making a thread in 12-48 hours you’ll make a thread complaining about how you are so dumb that you can’t get used to the controls and say the game sucks. We will then mock you for a few hours.

Mgs1 does rank you

To play the original metal gear games, you have to get on mgs3 main menu. They’re good

>what am I in for bros
One helluva amazing saga, that will give you ALL the feels out there.
Remember to read the "Previously" summaries + watch the "Briefing Files" in MGS1's main menu before starting the campaign. Maybe give the VR Training a whirl first as well.

Besides those, I trust the games to be quite straight forward. Spam the Codec whenever you see or find something new.

i dont know why they couldnt include 1 on disc. i bought it used and missed out, had to play it on an emulator

>games

>the codes still works
I just realized i never redeemed those codes since launch. Jesus christ.

I'm replaying the series too, never played MGS more than once.

Finished MGS1-3 and now am playing 4, so far my opinion on MGS4 changed a lot...i'm appreciating the war settings more, the only thing i dislike so far is the fact that they threw at you a lot of weapons and items way too early, feels a little overwhelming.

Also its a movie first game second, you can ignore everything around you and just crawl your way from one cutscene to the next.

Attached: mgs4-promo-illust.jpg (850x1200, 248K)

One hell of a journey. Play in release order.
Do what says. The first three games have tonnes of information in the codec, and you are missing out if you do not listen to them.
You can skip Peace Walker. 4 could be a drag, but I liked the ending.

I just finished playing the PS1 version on an emulator.
Beating Psycho Mantis took me so long because I couldn't figure out how to put the controller in the second port on RetroArch.
I also realized just how much exposition there is in every cutscene which didn't seem to bother me when I was younger.

Do people actually give a shit about "rank" in the MGS games? It only really matters in PW and V, since you get more GMP with higher ranks and it's all mission-specific anyway.
Metal Gear 2 aged better than MGS1. Fite me.

>2d game aged better than early 3d game
stop the presses

I unironically quit 3 because of the controls

1 - Amazing game, still playable today.
2 - the greatest vidya ever made, the writing is top-notch and the twists and characters are awe-inspiring.
3 - revisionist Big Boss wankage but good gameplay since it's the Subsistence version, Ocelot is great and so is Volgin and the Boss. Jack is okay as Snake but it's hard to ignore what a piece of shit he was to Solid.
4 - NANOMACHINES! and a walking sim, barely 3 hrs of gameplay in total even for your first run, cutscenes take up a chunk of it. Acts 4 and 5 are kino though.

pleb.

>2 - the greatest vidya ever made, the writing is top-notch and the twists and characters are awe-inspiring.

Attached: 1565624136177.jpg (640x853, 90K)

>he thinks 3 is better than 2
LAUGHING
AT
(YOU)

I never even mentioned 3, you're obsessed. I like MGS2, but it isn't the god-tier intellectual masterpiece people make it out to be. People suck its dick way too much.

>(the codes actually still worked)
what did op mean by this?

contact meryl using the code on the back of the mgs1 download code

You could make a case for Metal Gear 1 being dated, since it's almost a cryptic as Castlevania II and most of the game is gatekeep by your rank, but Metal Gear 2 already did a lot of the same things MGS1 gets credit for and at some aspects, did them better.

>2 - the greatest vidya ever made
>writing is top-notch
is this what MGS2 babby-secondaries seriously think?

>shits on 4 while praising 2 for the same crap
oh, it's just a retarded b8.

We are hitting dilation levels that shouldn't even be possible.

>literally no arguments
Get a woman.

Have children.

How do I get used to MGS1's controls? I just beat the first boss and I still feel like they're dogshit

Never. They ruin your life.

Git gud? They're pretty basic 8-directional top-down action game controls AFAIK.
I never had problems with them, and I only started playing MGS back in ~2012.

Only thing you may find handy is the run-n-gun function while you hold down... L1, was it?

It's better to sneak than to fight. Aiming kind of sucks but is, at least, usable.
Sometimes camera limits what you can see so you have to get to first-person.
You sort of understand that that kind of game design was at its peak at the time so you adapt.

1 - memorable bosses, setting, feels
2 - clusterfuck with interesting premise, boring setting
3 - great setting, uneven story, 2 good boss fights, disappointingly linear
4 - clusterfuck, too little gameplay. I’d say it’s more fun to play than the rest of the series
PO - ehh. Kind of fun
PW - lame. Beginning of the end

Splinter Cell isn’t as interesting but it plays a million times better. Plus consistency is a virtue

Start with MGS, then proceed in order. Don't play 2 before 1 because it is a strange fun house version of MGS which you can only appreciate if you are familiar with MGS. They are all great games, at least those I played (MGS 1, 2, 3, Portable Ops, Peace Walker).

Lots of fun. Play them in release order and don't skip the originals.

Attached: MGS Newfag Guide.jpg (1500x3514, 2.2M)

This reminded me I actually bought this ages ago but the code only works on a US account and i cba to make one so here you go.
For PS3: T3LA5BNL6T72

2 at least had snake tales and all those vr missions to compensate main game lacking of any decent gameplay.

Attached: BASED.webm (1440x508, 1.75M)

Thinking of buying PS3 just to play this shit. Should I?

Wish they just ported the whole series to PS4/steam

>want to play Twin Snakes for dat MGS2 style
>don't want the shit music or localization

You'd think there would be a mod right now to restore the soundtrack and voice track.