ITT: Games that were much better than you remember

ITT: Games that were much better than you remember.
I had taken Dragon Quest 4 as a lacking but ambitious game, but going back to it now I'm floored by its quality.

>Prologue immediately piques interest and instills mild foreboding whether it's your first time experiencing this cliche or the millionth.
>Soldier scenario is a cheeky nod at DQ1 while still being unique, does an excellent job at teaching player the basics and emphasizing the importance of exploration and searching for clues.
>Princess scenario is a cheeky nod to Dragon Ball and eases you into party synergy.
>Merchant scenario is wildly unique and gives more perspective to the world.
>Twins scenario forces player to strategize and establishes tone going forward.
>All four subtly reinforce the game's themes and build tension about the lingering prologue.
>The remainder of the game brings all these elements together superbly.
>All of this in a Famicom game.
It's an honest to goodness masterpiece and it makes me wish Chunsoft never split from DQ.

Attached: Solo and Sophia.png (702x600, 991K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/66O7BEx5cVw
youtu.be/k-aJip8eDic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's always to see someone appreciating the genius of any DQ game. They're all fucking master pieces. Aside from the DQ Monster games.

Complete pants on head retarded zoomer here...Looking to get into Dragon Quest. I enjoy SMT and Dragon Ball, so I figure I will love DQ. I’m deciding between...

>DQ7 on 3DS
>DQ8 on 3DS
>DQ11 on Switch

Or any other recommendations? DQ7 is $24 compared to the other two being $50

Wow, I didn't know Fishman had a happy emotion.

DQ8 is your best bet. 7 is long as fuck, but it's great and 11 is also great too but 8 is just better than both.

Glad to hear it OP 4 is still my favorite DQ

I'd say that applies to the Chunsoft ones, sure. Could even argue 2 fell just short but had a strong idea behind it. Afterwards, not so much. 6 and 9 have serious issues, 7's more than a bit self-indulgent, 8's kind of all over the place, and 11 couldn't help itself and made a third act that's far too long and kind for its own good.

I remembered GTA IV as my least favorite GTA because I didn't like the colors of the game. Went back to it 1.5 years ago and loved it. Best GTA.

Attached: gta-4-57bc43f75f9b58cdfd1c0773.jpg (768x512, 61K)

>makes me wish Chunsoft never split from DQ.

did you play 5 on sufami
That was the reason horii told Chunsoft to fuck off, its a horrible horrible job from a technical standpoint, they couldnt even program 4 charactees in a party, they just didnt understand the snes

If you enjoy SMT you should try the Monsters games.

If you like SMT, you can enjoy 1 on your phone, no joke. It's like $2 and is about 9 hours long. It's the best short JRPG ever made, and what future JRPGs would base "arcs" on. 3, 4 and 5 are also good. 8 and 11 are newbie friendly, but you clearly can deal with less polished games. If you play 11, please turn "Harder Monsters" on, the default game balance is a joke.

Nevermind, you have shit taste

Yeah it's incredibly good. One of the best games on the NES.

I'm actually replaying it right now and I love the different chapters. It helps keep things fresh while also serving a way to learn everything about the game. By the time you reach chapter 5 you will know the world and have an idea of what to do.

i hate the guy's helm thing. it looks really impractical and silly.

I thought V was Horii's favorite game in the series?

>Someone likes things I like what an amazing patrician.
>"I think some of the games are good but not perfect."
>Nevermind ur a fag
Fanboys are the worst.

>Prologue immediately piques interest and instills mild foreboding whether it's your first time experiencing this cliche or the millionth
It wasn't in the Famicom version only PSX/DS
But personally I wish they didn't add it. I love the way it starts with Ragnar and each other chapter has them wondering looking for the Hero/Heroine. Makes you curious about who he/she is and where everything will start. Gives a nice mystery right at the very start of the game. Adding that small bit doesn't really give anything of note and honestly takes some of that away since there's no build of tension waiting to finally play as the chosen one.

It's slightly like SMT in that buff and debuffs are pretty much bread and butter of combat even against common enemies. But it's not as tough as nails.

That being said 8 and 11 are your best bet. DQ7 is pretty much undiluted Dragon Quest. Where the story is you going back in time over and over again rescuing towns/islands as it drip feeds you plot on how things came the way it did. For many it's too slow to really be enjoyable. But personally it's the best in the series but I love a good slow burn story.

Personally my one big complaint regarding DQ8 is how Jessica has pretty much 0 story in the game. Yangus has a whole backstory with Red and last third was the Angelo show with post game being all about Hero. But Jessica was pretty much toss on the sidelines with nothing to really give. And worse is that they could have done something for her in the 3DS version but instead she is just someone the Hero can marry when there wasn't any romance towards her in the whole game.

You know what? Fair enough. I'll have to give the FC version a try now.
Thanks user.

I'm interested in playing the DQ games from the beginning and only have my phone for emulation, a home brewed 3DS, my PS4, and a laptop I avoid using.
What's the best course of action for me?

NES version isn't all that bad honestly. Grinding at the start for each character is annoying but not nearly the same level as DQ1-3 (3 isn't bad either but there's a few level walls boss and the pyramid that had you grinding a few levels to not die). The only thing of note however is once you are in Chapter 5 the side characters are all AI. They aren't really dumb but you might wish they did something else from time to time. You can insert a game genie code to have control if you wish for that.

I want more short story type games, anthology types like this and if you were to play all the intros to Dragon Age.

Square sells 1-6 on the app store, you know. It's the best way to play 2 and 4, arguably the best way for 5 and 6 as well. Probably best off emulating either SNES or GBC 1 and 3, really. The best version of 7 is the 3DS version.

1-3 on phone, 4-6 on 3DS via Twilight, 7-8 on 3DS, 9 on 3DS via Twilight, 11 on PS4.

2 is incredibly tedious to play, but I will say it has some genuinely dazzling things to show those who are patient enough to grit their teeth and deal with the tedium. I always loved the world map theme changing once you get a full party to a more jaunty, adventurous tune, and then reverting back to the original melancholy song during the sidequest when one of your teammates falls sick and you have to leave them behind for a while

And then series went to the trash with 6 and forward excepto for 9

Which version is best to play? I don't know shit about Dragon Quest.

What's so tedious about it? I actually just finished it a couple hours ago and the only thing that might have been any bit tedious was that final cave.

1 and 2 mobile.
3 is a mixed bag for Westerners. SNES is the better version due to Pachisi Tracks, battle animations and faster walking speeds in towns. But Mobile is an official release and has a translation consistent with the rest of the series; especially important if you're playing it after 1.
4 Mobile because DS version doesn't have party chat.
5 and 6: DS or Mobile. The DS versions do have party chat for 5 and 6, but the mobile versions have higher quality soundtracks for 4-6.
7 idk haven't played
8 3DS with music restoration patch (important).
9 only on DS
11 Switch

Example of DS version and Mobile version soundtrack quality improvements:
youtu.be/66O7BEx5cVw
youtu.be/k-aJip8eDic

Phone versions from 1 to 6, 3ds for the rest and eleven for switch

1-3 SNES or mobile (2 on mobile is the best place to play) in either way whatever you start with play the rest on the same version
4-6 DS (4 on mobile has the party chat they cut from the DS version)
7 3DS
8 3DS (some say PS2 because the 3DS isn't as graphically nice looking but the amount of content on the 3DS version is well worth it.)
9 only on DS
10 Never ever
11 Switch (PS4/PC if don't care about extra content and just want a very pretty Dragon Quest game)

I've actually played DW3, and pyramid and very start aside I'd say there's no necessary grinding so long as your party comp is good. Really, after 1 and 2 the games don't ask you to grind after the start (aka the non-intrusive tutorial) unless you refuse to git gud.

An obnoxious amount of backtracking, especially after you get the ship. If you're not playing the mobile version where there's clearer indicators of where key items are on the ground, the game also starts playing calvinball with the clues given by the end and the hunt for the crests becomes unbearable.

For NES, sure, but I think the only tedious part in modern versions is Rhone. The start of the game and the Crest hunt are more fucking annoying and mid game is well paced. If the game was a bit more character and story driven I think people wouldn't be as cold on it being frustrating.

Guess to be fair my last playthrough was with a Jester so that made me grind a bit. But I remember Baramos needing mutli party heal which you might not have at that point. But his castle has lots of liquid metal slimes so it's not that much of a grind.

>If you're not playing the mobile version
Oh, well that'd be it then.

It's not much of a mystery when they're on the box.

>Sun Crest is in the fire temple
>Spent 2 days wondering around looking for a volcano or something
>Just a basic teleporter place with a lit torch
I don't even remember them ever referring this place as a fucking temple before.

Also didn't they move the Earth Crest which was in the Cave to Rhone to just where the grandson of the Dragon Lord is?

Attached: DQ2_Fire_Crest.png (768x720, 15K)

Box art doesn't really reflect your game sprite is. Plus there is some anticipation being denied something like finally playing as the Hero/Heroine the game talks about.
Also how the hell would you know to search that area. There's nothing really to indicate to walk around the fucking thing. Yeah you might have the flute to hear where crests are but it's just in such a fucking stupid area.

First guy who talked about DQ2 here, that's my exact point.

I really don't know if DQ2 was a product of them rushing the game (they even said that) or they really wanted you to honestly search every nook and cranny no matter what because WRPG was all about that shit. I could easily see the team putting Earth Crest and Sun Crest in those areas thinking it was the greatest idea in the world only to get this massive push back from players about how stupid it was. Which brought of DQ3 which does a lot to give a good idea on where to go and how to search. Like pushing a block and looking under it.

Many thanks

>Also didn't they move the Earth Crest which was in the Cave to Rhone to just where the grandson of the Dragon Lord is?
Nah. It's in Tantegel.

Ah would have been nice if going all the way to the Dragon Lord grandson and he helps you out by giving you the crest. And yeah I can see why people say the mobile version of 2 is the way to play. Just the Crest searching alone makes everything much easier. Going to play 3 soon or already did it?

Just started on 3 earlier.

Nice. What is your party makeup? 3 is more or less a much nicer version of 2. You still sailing around collecting things but the game does a much better job pointing you around and you will have a much better selection of spells to play around with which makes battles much more enjoyable.

It's both. The crests are supposed to get obscure, slightly annoying and take time but simply placing one in Rhone Cave feels like being pinched for time. Whole game's like that, really.

>Half the game is Rhone due to being rushed at the polishing stage.
>Mid-game was clearly supposed to be the bulk of the adventure but ended up being even shorter than chasing Cannock.
>Cannock chase is way too long because they didn't account for encounter rate.
The game is full of cheeky annoying bits that become frustrating due to the game being rushed.

Hero/Priest/Mage/Thief.

Don't think I ever used a Thief but seem good. Guess the only recommendation is turning the Mage into a Sage. Having 2 healers at the end of the game while not essential is pretty damn good to have.
>Cannock chase is way too long because they didn't account for encounter rate.
They could have at least have you meeting at the pond under ground.

Another thing is how the game is so unbalanced between the party members. Hero will be the only character worth doing any damage and Princess somehow has more HP and defense than Cannock. Giving the person who is most likely to die the resurrection spell is one hell of a cruel joke.

>Another thing is how the game is so unbalanced between the party members. Hero will be the only character worth doing any damage and Princess somehow has more HP and defense than Cannock. Giving the person who is most likely to die the resurrection spell is one hell of a cruel joke
For me in the mobile version it was basically the opposite. Sizzle and Kaboom spam with those two were what got me through the final fight, whereas the Hero wasn't so useful. Both those two had Kazing as well.

I don't know shit about Dragon Quest. I am only familiar with 8 and 11. Based off my experiences, a lot of newer fans expect every installment to have full orchestra soundtrack and voices for characters based off their exposure to the PS2 Version of DQ8.

They don't understand that the PS2 was the best machine with the best sound capabilities to create nice sound experiences. Orchestra Music doesn't really sound well on the 3DS because it's underpowered hardware, and has to be mixed as to sound very impactful.

11 doesn't need the Orchestra Soundtrack either because if hardware limits of PS4. I think people are just too lazy to create their own sound to get the full experience and wants the music guys to do all the hard work for them.

Gameplay wise, I noticed that 11 is newbie friendly.

Cannock being a shit is the point, and why they added the sick Cannock quest to the remakes. You don't realize that he's not deadweight until you lose him.

Your understanding is completely off. DQ8 originally launched with synth/midi music, the orchestra was only for the western release. Dragon Quest has literally NEVER had orchestra music, because the NES games never had them either. DQ8 was the first and only the western version had it. Orchestra is an exception to the rule in DQ.

Princess had some nice damage spells sure but because of how much damage enemies dish out she did a lot of healing. Spell damage did about 60 or so while Hero was doing around 100+. Can't remember who much Cannock did but it wasn't that much and didn't really have any high power spells. Sorry honestly interested in how much the rebalanced the game.
The only reason he was useful was a extra punching bag and revive. Think the only real spell he had worth using was Revive and Increase about half way into the game. Yeah there's Return but Return sucked in DQ2 and there was wings for that shit.

I know you can rotate the camera with the shoulder buttons in the DS games but how often do you have to? Asking because I'm thinking about getting DQV on mobile and having to rotate the camera with the touch screen seems like a big pain

you don't have to for 90% of the game. I'd still recommend doing it because sometimes there'll be a door that's only visible from a certain angle in towns when you're confused about how to enter a building.

As for how cumbersome it is on mobile, it's not at all. Mobile includes a "slide to turn" mechanic that automatically turns the screen 90º in the direction you slide to, so it's really easy.

pic related

Attached: vagrant-story-localization-3.png (800x600, 470K)

Ace Attorney Justice for All. Played it and the other 2 games when they released back when I was high school. Playing through them again on switch for the first time in 10 years and as I finished AA1 I was dreading JFA but honestly it's much better than I remember and arguably better than AA1.

Speaking of DQ, I am playing 5 at the moment and I learned that you can recruit monsters, is this a staple feature in the series? Is a monster only run viable or does the game force you to have certain characters on your party to progress?

Attached: 1565321707654.jpg (188x250, 12K)

Just finished 3, NES version. Do the later games have any good quality of life changes? Stuff like
>Want to heal several members
>Open menu - select spells - select character - select heal - select character to be healed
>Do it all over again since the menu closes automatically
>If you accidentally pick the wrong thing, backing out closes the menu instead of going back one move
I enjoyed 3 a lot more than 2 and specially 1 but while it's mostly nitpicks, they start adding up. Also does the grind ever go away?

Monster recruitment is unique to DQ5 which became Dragon Quest Monsters. It's kind of random if the monster joins you. As for party members think only the main character is needed in the party.

How do the DS versions of 4-6 compare to free NES and SNES versions? Is it the ultimate way to play them? Been playing the original trilogy on the SNES, seems like I'm almost done with number 2.

Alright, thanks. Which game should I try next? I can only go as far as the Wii.

Remakes gives you a "Heal All" in the menu. DQ4 NES has a bit clunkiness to it which the DS/mobile fixes. DQ5 onward pretty much solved most of the menu issues even seeing the stat changes when buying gear.

is that post frieza saga bulma with green hair?

Attached: DdILMO8U0AEH8G9.jpg (900x1200, 115K)

Thank god for that. I'm playing through the series as they were released but this stuff really starts pilling on. Specially the constant juggling of inventories and never knowing if a character can use a certain weapon/armor until you try it so it's even more menu juggling.

Pretty nice. DQ4 DS has issues with localization (annoying accents at the start of the game that slowly tones down as you progress through the story) and removal of the party chat that they put into the mobile version.

DQ5 is a much better version then the SNES version

Little knowledge of DQ6 but that seem to be how it is for most DQ fans. It's not disliked just oddly forgettable for people.
Depending on systems you can play if you are doing DS of DQ5 play DQ4 DS. If you can play PS2 games DQ8.

Defintely play the DS version of 5, it has all the pretty graphics and QoL features from the PS2 remake along with extra content
I played 4 on the DS and loved it, but I also really missed party chat since the whole cast is very unique and likable. If party chat is a deal-breaker, play the Android version.
6 might be my least favorite in the series, since everything about it is kinda forgettable. If you're planning on playing the DS releases of 4 and 5, you may as well play the DS version of 6 since you'll already be used to that style.

No, it's green hair Launch.