Tyranny

Is this game good? Should I buy it?

Attached: 370974-tyranny-linux-front-cover.jpg (460x215, 47K)

more like
tranny

I got bored after the first act. Didn't really grab me.

this but unironically, because it was written by one

I enjoyed it, but you should pirate it because it's an unfinished game and you shouldn't pay for unfinished games.

It's a decent game. Also, the kind you need to replay to get the most out of.

Story premise is cool but gameplay is straight up trash

Impressive, I couldn't get past the first 30 minutes
I don't know if it's because of all the shit people threw at it, but it just felt like a really bad game

Based (unironically)

I'm in the first third of act 2. Sided with the Disfavored.
It has had some good parts and some bad parts. Combat is pretty wonky outside of the neat magic system.
The best thing it does is give you choice. There's 4 main story paths, several factors with how factions see you, multiple times I've noticed options to straight up kill your companions. Unlike other rpgs like say Fallout 4 not much is really forced upon you outside of the basic shit needed to tell a story.

However the writing often varies. You'll go from exploring the literal and philosophical conflict between the two main armies and debating which is better while learning all the history and factors that went into each adopting those ideals to your beast-woman companion playing fuck, marry, kill with your other companions.

Pretty good, better than most modern RPGs. Tons of different ways to progress through the game and a lot of challenging encounters. Sadly it's really short though, and the development for the sequel it really needed was cancelled.

>Is this game good?
Yes.
> Should I buy it?
Only if you are buying it on GOG.

Yes, it's great. Especially if you like replaying games, the game can go in wildly different directions based on the choices you make. Though unfortunately its not very long and there are some clear examples of cut content especially near the end.
Other than that if you liked Pillars of Eternity but wished it was a little weirder and less traditional then you'll like Tyranny. It was clearly trying to be the Torment to PoE's Baldur's Gate and while I don't think it accomplishes that it still gives me a lot of the same feelings and vibe that game had, much moreso than tides of Numenara.

Yes. It is one of my favorite rpgs of all time, and one of very few that I finished more than once.
The story and writing is very good, you can really feel like fantasy gestapo. Magic system is well-made, and it has some really comfy mechanics like writing letters. Combat is okay, but can get repetitive, there is a very small variety of enemies.
Overall, 8/10

Thanks for your input lads. I'm gonna give it a go. It seems like a really good game for roleplaying a lawful evil type character in.

It's unfinished as fuck, feels like you're getting 35% of what the game was inteded to be. There's no sequel or addon in sight either.

It's alright, but not particularly good. You probably have something better to spend money on.

It's probably one of the most supportive games of evil playthroughs I've ever seen, even moreso than New Vegas or Jade Empire. It's actually far trickier to be play anyone on the good spectrum (without managing to piss everyone off, anyway).

I agree, but I also kind of feel a sequel to Tyranny is unnecessary. It was designed as kind of an experiment in swapping the traditional dominance of good vs. evil morality in rpgs where being good is easy and encouraged, and being evil requires going out of your way to do so. And it made that point well, so well that a sequel which would likely be about you opposing Kyros likely wouldn't have the same effect. Though I think a CRPG where you get to play as an evil overlord yourself would still be pretty cool. There is also the problem of having to acknowledge all of different end states the game can end up with; you'd basically have to build three entire games just to support Chorus/Disfavored/Vendrian Guard decision let alone all the other things that can happen. They'd probably just reset everything back to square 1 like Pillars 2 and I think that'd be particularly unsatisfying for something like Tyranny, where the whole game is about the build up to power.

Brother. what is the source for what you say?

It's good, depending on what you're looking for. There are four distinct runs through the game possible. One where you are out for yourself, two where you support one general or another, or a forth where you support the conquered faction. The out for yourself run is all about gathering powerful items to be the most powerful guy ever. The generals involve either working with, or trying to subvert the general, one of two, you side with. Though one of those things is possible, and the other not.

The attempt to support the conquered faction is again a one or the other path, You either legitimately side with them, or you just use them as a stepping stone.

Every encounter int he game is hand crafted, there are no truly random encounters.

Don't bother with the Bastard's Wound DLC, it's a side story and just feels off.

The magic system and spell building system is a lot of fun to play with.

Tales of the Tiers adds more road encounters and other smaller things that happens while traveling around. It's a smaller DLC than Bastard's wound, but it complimented the main game instead of being a side story that had nothing to do with anything.

It's one of the few games that actually delivers on letting you be the bad guy.

The beast men and the beast woman companion are the worst things in the game. You can avoid getting the beast woman as a companion or even kill her though so you can avoid her god awful dialogues.

Trees are lewd.

The game is decent within what it was intended to be. It's not exceptional, but for the right mood and personal taste it's a fun romp.

Attached: 1565547347381.jpg (720x540, 92K)

Lantry is the best companion.

>he has the same VA as Kamoshida
Made me laugh when I realized it. The two characters could be no more different.

Most people don't realize you get his best ending by feeding him to Nerat when he has very high loyalty, which leads to the Voices of Lantry, who founds a school of sages dedicated to finding new inks to get completely stoned on.

I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes

A lawful evil loyal to Kyros playthrough is probably the best experience.

Fairly sure that's because the Chorus is the least played faction of all. Also because no one wants to get Lantry killed.

I thought it was decent enough, but combat's pretty weak. Story is fine, I wish it didn't just morph into "you're the chosen one" shit though.

Pleasing Tunon is a special play through. They make the game seem either, or, with the Chorus and Unbroken. But you also can stay super dedicated to Tunon and the law. It's actually preferable because I hate both the Generals.

I could be wrong, but with the conflicting ideas of The Overlord,, Kyros and their gender, I wonder if the Overlord gets replaced every time someone figures out the Old Walls and their secret. Your magic is too similar to Kyros for it to be a coincidence. I'm betting Kyros isn't long lived, just, people keep replacing the Overlord and playing the same role.

So I think it's less that you're the Chosen One, and more that the nature of the Overlord is cyclical.

Anyone have any tips on making a punchy mage type character? Looking at the skills and stuff, I've gotten it into my head I wanna punch shit and nuke things with elemental magic, but I don't have a clue how I should distribute my stats. I'm not really looking to min max, I'm just not sure what to prioritize. I'm gonna be playing on Path of the Damned.

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing.

Attached: 4332908-0143594048-picci.png (650x635, 542K)

It's very uneven in quality. Some things are really good, setting for example, the whole premise of lawful evil, magic system and replayability. On the other hand there is an unnecessary cliffhanger and She-that-furry.

Pretty enjoyable game overall, I wish we had more of these short 20-30 hours long rpgs. I'm sick of open worlds.

Character development is completely free form, just play the way you want and you'll naturally develop along that path.

Pretty obvious but you can start out with unarmed and magic, and choose magic that compliments and buffs. There's a magic spell building system with various accents and expressions. You can enchant your weapons. Volcanic weapon is amazing. Basically things that buff your offense and defense are good, there's also stuff to debuff the enemy.

Pretty common sense, you'll see once you fiddle with the specialization trees.

That's a reasonable assumption for where the plot was heading. Though given that the other Archons are also presumably long lived/immortal and that the big reveal is that its a person's reputation that eventually turns them into a godlike figure, not inherent power I don't see why Kyros couldn't just be one person as well. The uncertainty around their gender and person is more to preserve their reputation as this unknowable, unstoppable godlike force rather than as a flesh and blood person who could, presumably, be killed or deposed. I was actually thinking the big reveal was going to be something along the lines that Kyros was, literally, the empire and had no actual physical form anymore.

>lol dude make a ton of very important decisions on shit you know absolutely nothing about

what the fuck is that intro

Attached: 1565153002006.jpg (267x319, 40K)

Its a barely playable 6/10 game. Which mean its still 3 times better than the pillar of eternity games.

The only thing working against that is our Archon Companion Sirin, who seems to have actually lived with the overlord and once actually managed to influence them. Hence why she's nowhere anywhere near the Overlord now.

Mind Control is a hell of a power.

I don't kill Lantry but I do take a special pleasure in choosing all the options that let you abuse him and treat him like dirt. I don't get why any Fatebinder, from an RP standpoint, would actually like Lantry, he burnt all his goodwill bridges from both ends. Collaborators are worse than invaders. Ebb had the balls to actually resist until she knew she was beaten and gets a measure of respect for that and Tunon is my boss so he's cool but Lantry is just a worm.

It actually provides context, and anything it doesn't has the built in hyperlink system that explains every notable detail.

It's bad.
The ending is literally the same no matter what you did.

didn't they patch in a loyal to Kyros ending?

Lantry is basically Tunon without the ability to gain the support Tunon needed to get the laws in his country changed before the Overlord invaded. Changing your entire system to replicate the enemy system, so when they invaded nothing changed? Kinda genius, but also in saving lives like that he implemented an inherently corrupt system.

Lantry just outright said they should give up. There's a level of thinking there that separates the two, but at the end of the day it came to the same thing. Bow before the Overlord.

This. Fuck that intro, it shouldve been playable with a separate intro that sets up the factions.
I dropped the game shortly after meeting the two generals for the first time because after that jarring intro the game itself also felt barebones and boring.
I'm sure I quit too soon to give it a proper chance, but I don't care, it had too many strikes against it in such a short period.

>rpg about being evil
>entire marketing campaign emphasizs that you are evil
>game forces you to rebel against your evil overlord

If you want to play an RPG where you can actually be evil, just play Mask of the Betrayer instead, a vastly superior game back when Obsidian still had some talent left.

Attached: 1j9ywu.jpg (400x369, 77K)

>The best thing it does is give you choice.

>game railroads you at every turn
>doesn't even let you kill npcs, unlike amost every crpg ever made

>The best thing it does is give you choice.

Attached: 1543613345359.gif (480x270, 1.86M)

If it had forced you into being the good guy, you'd have a point, but the only actual good path is one of two versions of the Vendrian Guard interactions. Every other path in the game, regardless of faction, or if you're out for yourself, is an evil play through. The one good play through is actually the most boring and it's one out of many.

Its even worse than the dullest RPG of all time. Each attempt Obsidian makes to create their own universe rather than simply deconstruct a setting made by others, has been more disastrous than the last. Aside from the outdated gameplay and lifeless cities, Pillars of Eternity's only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of combat mechanics, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Sawyer vetoed the idea of making anything at all innovative or original; he made sure the game would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable nostalgia pandering to ageing Baldur's Gate fans. Pillars of Eternity might be anti-casual(or not), but it’s certainly the anti-Divinity series in its refusal of spontaneity, fun and excitement.

>a-at least the writing was good though

"No!"

The writing is dreadful; the narrative was terrible. As I played, I noticed that every time I engaged in dialogue with an NPC the game presented me with a Wiki-page style infodump instead of anything resembling actual human conversation.

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time this was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Sawyer's mind is so governed by obsession with pointless minutiae of the lore that he has no other style of writing.

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Pillars of Eternity by the same David Gaider. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kiddies are playing Obsidian games at 17 or 18, then when they get older they will go on to enjoy Dragon Age II." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you play "Pillars of Eternity" you are, in fact, trained to shill for Bioware.

Attached: 1536155212687.jpg (750x1000, 159K)

Based

My theory there is that Siren wasn't born with her powers either, but just happened to be the one person who, for whatever reason, actually managed to change Kyros's mind about something, or provoked some sort of sympathy in them. Maybe even entirely unintentionally. Which normally would be fine, no big deal, but Kyros knows the threat that kind of reputation and gossip could create and thus sent her far away to dissociate them. It would be an impressive feat for someone so young, which is why her powers are so developed early in life compared to how long it presumably took Ashe and Nerat to create their own magic as well.

It took you long enough to show up.

Attached: 4cf4060b-da6a-41a6-8d72-c45608a4e7a0.png (598x480, 79K)

>massive, long game with multiple paths, a huge roster of classes and playstyle, with multiple endings
>training for a tiny, short game with one ending, one path, 3 classes and barely any play style variations
hhhmmmmmmmmmmmm

YIKES!!!!!!

Attached: download.jpg (201x251, 10K)

Do you think I'm some kind of an ant?

Very thought based. The world, the game, the Edicts, even the base magic system is obsessed with language and word play. I'd color what you're saying here with the note that the influence a person has, translating to power, is very much a matter of words, accents and expressions. How people talk about you. Spells in the game are made in this way, your word is fire, you dictate how it forms with a word by expression and accent.

Graven is a protector who literally keeps his men alive, magically, because his men repeatedly said that he saved them that he protected them, no matter what. He did a thing, people saw and repeated the thing,a now it is a magical truth that Graven protects his men.

So when we look at Siren and her powers someone had to have witnessed this and repeated it until it became a magical truth, "She's so convincing, her song so sweet, she can even change the overlord's mind!" Words in Tyranny are power. Your reputations in the game, literally give you power, new abilities. The reputation of your legendary weapon, literally gives it power, and the more you use it, the more people see it, the more they talk about it, the stronger it gets even unlocking new powers.

Tyranny is literally Words the game.

>Do you think I'm some kind of an ant?
This should help.

Attached: 1525720372463.jpg (642x730, 164K)

Luckily you don't have to recruit her. Heck, you can even kill her off. Well you can refuse or kill most of the companions, for that matter.

>Someone wrote a cringy backstory for their role playing character
I'd be more surprised if this didnt happen in EVERY SINGLE CAMAPAIGN I've ever run. Especially with newer players, they just can't help themselves. Still, better edgy than boring.

>it's okay that the writing is Tumblr-tier fanfic levels of bad because the game is so braindead easy that you can go through it without companions, thus defeating the whole point of playing a party-based rpg

Attached: 1565540362982.png (866x900, 82K)

She's really the only bad companion. She and the beast men as a general are the only sore spot on an otherwise very nice game user.

>part based RPG

You have access to a party. One of the major story paths through the game is all about self reliance and was always meant to be the solo mode. It's not an inherently party based RPG when one of the paths was entirely made to be played alone, turning down or killing everyone in your path. Some call it an Anarchy play through.

Thanks.

Y I K E S ! ! !
I
K
E
S
!
!
!

>Implying being a Tunon loyalist isn't the good path
What did I tell you about makeing waves!

hey at least there's other decent characters you can use
just put the dog down

>>doesn't even let you kill npcs, unlike amost every crpg ever made
nigger one of the routes is straight up 'kill everyone', 90% of the conversations give you a choice to just kill the other person

>nigger one of the routes is straight up 'kill everyone', 90% of the conversations give you a choice to just kill the other person
I'm talking about the ability to attack nps freely, like you can in most every crpg.

You can't do that in Tyranny, you can only attack npcs if the game allows it with a specfic dialogue prompt. It's far more restrictive