Jesus fucking Christ this dialogue, writing, everything

Jesus fucking Christ this dialogue, writing, everything.

How did shit get so bad? Where, how did Mass Effect and video games go so wrong? What actually happened? Why?

Attached: Screenshot_20190812-174906_1.png (1376x1233, 1.19M)

Other urls found in this thread:

shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=32291
youtube.com/watch?v=RSL_VpbSAQw
youtube.com/watch?v=7KWkao73HuU
youtube.com/watch?v=R2SKNbkH9tI
docs.google.com/document/d/1XBpMF3ONlI308D9IGG8KICBHfWKU0sXh0ntukv-_cmo/preview?pli=1#
youtube.com/watch?v=HcY5Ya4pwBI
youtube.com/watch?v=BQXbbWVJ4sA
youtube.com/watch?v=467pmIX-oZo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

normies

too many women writers.

>How did shit get so bad?
thermal clips
casey hudson
kai leng

the devs looked at all the cool memes in reddit that came from the serise and portal two and said "yeah, lets do that".

Kai Leng was a great character. Only reddit hates him.

Mac Walters, EA

How did it also have the worst roster of all the games? What was the point of Vega? You don't get to a pinnacle of a trilogy and throw in a new character with no backstory whatsoever.

Citadel DLC was one of the best parts of ME3 though. Separated from the reaper thing for the most part, entertaining, all kinds of shit to do, more choices including the paragon/renegade prompts which were lacking in the main game, it was a slice of Mass Effect free from the constraints that were choking it. As for the rest the answer is always EA. Thankfully nearly all of ME2 was complete before they were bought so it didn't really suffer but ME3 was just a shit show.

It's not that women are inherently bad at writing. It's that these companies go out of their way to hire women over men, when there's a much smaller pool of women trying to get the jobs. This means that the best women from the pool of women are not going to be as good as the best men from the pool of men.

And then you get Andromeda which was made by diversity hires.

Attached: 1538893434162s.jpg (125x120, 3K)

Many reasons, OP. Developement was all kinds of messed up from the start. Just to name a few examples:

Good. You opened this message. This isn't actually asari military command. They're busy tending to what's left of their planet.

So you survived our fight on Thessia. You're not as weak as I thought. But never forget that your best wasn't good enough to stop me. Now an entire planet is dying because you lacked the strength to win. The legend of Shepard needs to be re-written. I hope I'm there for the last chapter. It ends with your death.

>What was the point of Vega?
too have the dudebro/normalfag someone to relate too.

Mac Walters.

Absolutely fucking not. Citafrl DLC is easily the worst shit in ME1-3 by a thousand lightyears. Please consider suicide.

>unable to appreciate something outside of le epic plot
Take your own advice

this is it right here
when you're hiring to fill gender quotas instead of based on ability you end up hiring a bunch of terrible people. bioware games were always kind of jank. me1 and 2 are good games with some shitty features and the quota hires tipped the balance so 3 became a bad game with a few good parts

There was a pic with 2's credits too, but I don't have it.

Attached: 1423094199693.jpg (1000x3719, 1.23M)

Does anyone else find it funny that despite the game ending where everyone dies/stranded or whatever that they had the audacity to make DLC after the fact? Why would they even do that if everyone is fucked? It makes the game pointless, hell it makes the entire series pointless.

Because only Liara, EDI, Vega and the Virmire Survivor are guaranteed party members I think. And the VS can die during ME3.

mass effect 2 is the only good game in the entire series, and it's a gem
mass effect 1 had a neat bunch of characters but ultimately the game was clunky and shit, with growing hp bars being the only measure of difficulty
that dipshit rover thing was godawful and involved way too often
the leveling was boring
me1 is only for people who strictly enjoy the setting and story, because the actual game in it is bad
i never played me3 or andromeda, so know that i am an authority on the matter when i say that both of those games are shit trash garbage pisspuss
me2 only good game bioware has made since kotor and kotor 2 you are incorrect if i see a single (you)

>me1 is only for people who strictly enjoy the setting and story, because the actual game in it is bad
This. This right here is the irrefutable truth. It is a horrible slog to play through. Everything else though is fantastic.

Retcons.

Bioware didn't make kotor 2

>spend years on end having this exact conversation
>do i look into it?
>do i check the archives, even once?
>no, it's time to be spoonfed

because fuck you is why

The dialogue is actually pretty good, most of the cringy moments are in the Citadel DLC or with EDI.

then mark it off the list and maybe replace it with dragon age origins because that was sort of decent but with a few too many slow points

Not him but I'd rather have a re-run of one of those threads and share in our collective pain rather than watch 2/3 of the catalog drown in ebola-infested faeces.

Why are those the only two choices?

>story telling
Vs
>meme spouting garbage that doesnt fit any of.the the characters

Give me your address and I will come rid this cancerous world of at least 1 tumor

Is there anything new to discuss about this trainwreck? I mean, unless you want us go back to warbling and mating tubes. I don't really mind, in fact.

Its way more concentrated in citadel dlc and edi but no, its spread all throughout me3 (and 2 somewhat). Eve, grunt, sheperd talking like a teenage girl rather than himself, it goes on and on

Why are you asking me when I was the one saying we had this exact thread constantly? If there's nothing to say, make a different thread or nothing at all. I can only believe I need to spell this out on Yea Forums.

Which thread would you rather have? And I'm not OP, again.

Op here. I never played 3 because of how bad 2 and what i heard of 3 were. But I recently.pirated it and stomached through the full game. Last thing to do was citadel dlc, which i started an hour ago. I just couldnt believe how much of a travesty it was.

Reminder just because it seems like a repost to.you doesnt mean its the same people

Easily the best character in the franchise

Attached: 3olb2f.jpg (490x490, 65K)

>day one dlc you have to pay for
fuck off.

>Which thread would you rather have?
Anything that we haven't had 500 of.
>I'm not OP, again
I never said you were. Your reading comprehension is miserable.

"We" are this board. I was mistaken in assuming you've been here before. My original post still stands, you know it's an old game and there's no way you were unaware of the controversial quality. So did you check the archives? Look into it? No, it's time to be spoonfed the same conversations we(again, apparently not you) have had countless times.

i must remind you that 2 is the only good game in the series, and if you genuinely thought otherwise, you're a cringelord faggot who somehow actually enjoyed me1's gameplay enough to be upset that they changed it into an actual game for 2
the story and characters are just as compelling in 2 as they were in 1
also, only play femshep, because the voice actress is fantastic and maleshep sounds like he has terminal autism

Corporate greed. They like to shift the blame on EA, but we can't forget that Bioware has a history of bringing out crappy games.
DA2, ME3, Andromeda, they had 5 years for Anthem, but still made this shitshow they dare to call a game.
Fool me once by saying that it was money, fool me twice by saying that it was the mechanics, but you can't keep fooling me Bioware!

>Anything that we haven't had 500 of.
But can you give actual examples?

>I never said you were. Your reading comprehension is miserable.
It was ambiguous and on this board filled with mentally challenged children throwing temper tantrums it pays off to be more precise. Just like with your case, it would seem.

wait there are anons here who bought the game legit?

I like ME3 but I hate ME3.

>bothers paying for DLCs with 100% legit repacks for free

This is why this generation is cucked. You feel obliged to pay for even a slightest piece of shit thrown at you while a free and harmless alternative is available at hand, at all times.

>day one dlc you have to pay for
That was absolutely horrible, but doesn't take away the fact that Javik is a great character.

Attached: 0d541aced04016b0dc3959ae61960c71.jpg (236x343, 16K)

This. 1's general story might have been better than 2, but as far as characters, atmosphere, gameplay, graphics, dialogue goes, more options in gameplay and story aspect - 2 was miles better. 3 was a complete travesty from start to finish.

Mass Effect writing was always generic scifi action hero shit. There's like two memorable characters from the whole series: Garrus and Wrex. The fact that 3 was bad didn't come as a shock to me. It's the inevitable culmination of bad storytelling that was evident from the first few hours of ME1.

Attached: cereal killer.png (487x642, 57K)

who said i fucking paid for it. i pirated Everything. funny thing is, you could have javik in your squad if you change some of the files in your mass effect 3 files only downside was, he would not have any dialog..

>Everyone realizes that voice actors aren’t interchangeable. In the same way, writers also have distinctive voices and treating them like generic script-writing machines can only lead to disaster. Pick a lead writer and stick with them. Even if your writers are are all literal geniuses, don’t shuffle them around in the middle of telling what is supposedly a single story. Pratchett and Tolkien were both masterful and inventive storytellers, but that doesn’t mean either one would have been a good fit for taking over a Vernor Vinge novel in progress.

>I realize this advice is probably lost on EA, who have built an entire company culture around the wrongheaded idea that you can turn all videogames into assembly line products. The thinking seems to be that if it works for Madden, why can’t it work for all games?

Shamus Young's Mass Effect retrospective series is worth reading.
shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=32291

Bioware was always shit, replaying ME1 really shows it

>he would not have any dialog
>Not hearing Javiks unadulterated racism
Why bother?

Why was the best part of ME3 the shoehorned-in multiplayer and which class category was the most based?

I've probably played through the first game dozens of times and its honestly never felt like a slog to me even with all the clunkiness.

No he offered nothing exceot more bad writing. Lulz liara asking me questions i like fight xd
I've been here longer than you faggot. The archive only for limited time and citadel/me3 are old enough that discussion hasnt happened recently. Youre ideas of not repeating a discussion suggests to me YOU are an immigrant from a message board or reddit and likely even a mod with your shitty thinking.
Lol fuck no. 2 was a poor gears of war and the fact that you praise it is.what led the way to 3 and andromeda being what they are.
>femshep is fantastic
Is this a troll because everything you say is laughable. Hale has no emotional range and deliverd every line in every game shes been in the exact same
>atnosphere
Space discovery vs WURR SO BAD REDDD CRIMEEE XD
>characters
compare
harbinger vs sovereign
jacob vs kaiden
Ashley vs miranda
Wrex vs grunt
You're on crack
>dialogue
2 is nearly ad cringe as 3, and the lack team interaction is nearly on the same level

I've only managed to play through it twice. Second time I only did the main quest and some side stuff. God bless the save game editor.

What a mad lad.

>I hate fun: the post
Citadel was the best thing about ME3.

See
Capeshit tier quips and (extremely bad) jokes are obscenely out of character for every sibgle character. There is a way to write such a dlc with characters having fun and making memories, etc, but the writers utterly failed

Citadel was really good. Lots of cool fanservice and cute fourth wall breaking jokes.

They catered to the retards browsing the Bioware forum.

>the sheer edge of this post
lol

How the fuck does this series not have modern ports?
Its like free money. I just want my ME3MP back.

Nothing is more cringy and cancerous in this world than people like you. You have the IQ of an empty bucket if you think Citadel DLC is anything but trash.

This was the "we want the Call of Duty audience" era BioWare, they needed a Soap

30 year old boomer here

>Mass effect is announced
>Sounds awesome
>Looks... kind of bleh
>But it's a bioware game, you play these for the RP and story and characters and plot

>Game releases
>Gameplay is garbage
>Level design is garbage
>The story is... meh. But it's a trilogy and it looks like it's going in a good direction
>Characters are meh
>Backstory, lore, and universe design is a solid 10/10

>Mass effect 2
>Gameplay improves dramatically, it still sucks
>Level design is still hot garbage
>The story is a little better but still bleh
>Characters are a little better but it's going full harem now
>everything good about the lore, backstory, and universe design is retconned/eviscerated
>Realize bioware is falling apart, last mass effect game I buy

>Mass Effect 3
>pirate it a few years after release
>gameplay improved from ME2, it's STILL garbage
>Level design hugely improved from ME2. It's ALSO still garbage
>The characters are now full on special snowflake / mary sue / I'll do anything for your dick harem; they're boring and lifeless
>The universe, backstory, lore, plot etc gets even more stupid fucking retcons and gets even more fucking retarded than what they did in ME2
>The fucking ending

>Mass Effect Andromeda
>I just watch the trainwreck in action on Yea Forums, I don't even bother playing it

Bioware is dead to me
Mass Effect is dead to me

They got rid of their only decent writers and destroyed the only thing that made Bioware worth shit as a studio.

Vanguard but only if you're the host. Class if fucking trash if you aren't.

EA literally gave away ME1 and 2 for free, plus all DLC/bonus content.
They're gunna do it for ME3 at some point too.

Only if there's an upcoming mass effect game that they think will sell well.

EA only gives that stuff away to drive interest / sales for the latest release. Without an upcoming release they will continue to milk the shit out of what they have for as long as possible.

>friends and I concept a game similar to ME3MP
>None of us can bankroll it and all work full time already

Attached: 1366692076094.png (441x603, 1.02M)

also Mac Walters

Attached: batarian.jpg (328x328, 25K)

>this dialogue, writing, everything.
It gets worse, way worse in ME:Andromeda.
Retcons, childish dialogues, characters who never shut up...

Attached: MEA - Teach male krogan not to rape.jpg (855x1200, 302K)

None of the other hoardmode style multiplayers come even close to the build variety and playstyles, or the shear enemy variety ME3 has. I'd kill for it to be ported to modern systems/remastered on PC and made free to play since it already have a lootbox system anyway.
My main fear is they'd reduce the credit payouts considering its fucking generous compared to modern games when 1 gold match gives 70000+ and Platinum games give out more money than the most expensive box costs per match. I have every single character/weapon/upgrade most of them maxed out and never spent a dime on it.

EA bought Bioware when ME1 was out you utter retard

>me2
>story and characters are a bit better
You're a lost cause and may have brain damage.

Tbh the ending of 3 was better than all of me 2 and 3. It's bad, but compared to the trainwreck after trainwreck before it it wad actually a bit relieving

Nah Citadel was alright, it was fan servicey a fair amount, but its point was to give you one last time with all the characters over the series, because the series is dead and you will never see any of them again, its why you the ending of citadel is the way it is

worst*, with the most disgusting desecration of the lore next to thermal clips

>cringeworthy wisecracking every two minutes
People really only play it for the party

thanks for proving that boomers can have horribly shit taste too

>600 hours spent in MP
>still missing the N7 Paladin and the Valkyrie rifle
At least I have my N7 Destroyer, Typhoon X, and Piranha X.

If ME3MP was rereleased with an actual method of progression that wasn't lmao lootboxes I'd piss, shit, AND cum.
If all else fails, maybe some day you'll see a horde shooter involving lots of medabot-ish robots that tries to fill the hole in our heart.

>it was alright

No, no, it really wasn't. It's the worst dialogue written in any media in history. It can't even be fan servicey because they butcher who the characterd are. None of them speak or act like themselves. Instead they all talk like 16 hear old 2012 American high school girls who love marvel movies.

Having one last time and getting them togther is great in theory. But the writers failed on a spectacular level.
>youll never see them again
If the writers wanted me to never see them ever again, let the reapers win, and never touch ME ever again they accomplished that.

>Citadel DLC was one of the best parts of ME3 though
How? It's just cheesy fan service.

I was looking forward to the party. But having to sit through 15 Anderson audio.logs where you cant walk 2 meters without it cutting it off put a damper on the beginning, then all those stupid quips by Shepard, Brooks, Ashley, everyone was so devastating and abysmal that but the time Wrex showed up and didnt.his own reddit/capeshit garbage I sat there staring at.the screen.in shock before alt+f4 and uninstalling on the spot before starting this thread.

Maybe I'll watch the party on youtube. Maybe

i don't understand people who pretend mass effect 1 and 2 weren't shit

because they fired a bonified novel and dialogue writer, who had a vision for the franchise and hired fan fiction bozos who did whatever the fuck they could get away with so they'd be hired as progressive writers in the future

>Maybe I'll watch the party on youtube. Maybe
The party is also absolutely cringeworthy. The entire DLC might as well have been written by a 15-year-old girl from some shitty fanfiction website.

N7 Paladin is the character I wanted the most and he was the second to last fucking character I got. He's really fun I wish I could have spent more time on him. The last couple releases had all the most fun and sometimes OP characters.
Turian Ghost is OP as hell but man is he fun to play with a Saber popping heads out of cloak or straight up melting bosses with a Cerberus Harrier.

And for people who really think the ending is the worst part tell me how thats worse than all side missions being one of the following 2:
-Overhear npc talking about needing random object, go to planet, probe, come back 'thank you'
-Hackett says "Cerebus took this base no rly its importantL, go fight on one of the square multiplayer maps, vome back and hear hackett say "good job. Bye"

Or story missions. Eve so stronk womyn.dont need no man, omega so strong womyn lesbians dont need no russian, edi "im am expressing all these human emotions but in high school robot speak and compared to.humanity rather than organic life because my writers dont understand anything about ai or robotics" , or how about Kai Leng 'huh nothing personal kid i'm a cyborg ninja xd"

That's why Andromeda and Inquisition were also pure cringe. I can't even imagine what Dragon Age 4 is going to be like, with the state of those and recently Anthem.

Find a game better written than ME1 including lore/universe. I'll wait.

Citadel was made as a "love letter" to fans. They knew the core-cuck audience of the game would buy the dlc regardless. In any case, ME3 was impossible to fix and dead at that point.

>Ashley
Maybe she makes it worse, she never lives up to the party in my playthroughs I reckon I'm just missing out on more cringe

KOTOR

Ghost and AIU were the only two characters I could reliably do Plat on for the longest time. Fuck, they're so busted.
I loved the Javelin enough that I eventually learned how to use a sniper-based infiltrator, then started taking loud screaming N7 man in. Occasionally the volus engineer, too.

Attached: lethalwatergun.webm (1600x900, 1004K)

One of the most brutal simplification I saw in any game. Im still surprised is not mentioned everytime some talks about ME3 since is the clearest sign of casualization.

Attached: Quest system ME3.jpg (692x2279, 486K)

The fact that even now in this thread there are people who say its ok is the reason this shit can and has happened.

ME is a perfect slippery slope.

2 said lets give less power to Karpyshyn, take away rpg elements, lighten the story/characters, take away planet exploration, side quests, universe building, etc. People said ok this is good. Some people said no this isnt good but were ignored.

So they doubled down in 3 taking even more away and simplifying/changing a lot, ruining the writing/dislogue (what little of it remains), putting all their budget into lazy marketing. People STILL said this was ok, but they lost a lot more support especially with the ending.

Because enough people still said its good and liked the citadel dlc, that paved the way for Andromeda. Lets hire even more cheap, unqualified fanfiction teenage girls, lets make even more of a mockery of this universe, and now lets also save money on animators and 3d modelers too.

Now the franchise is dead. Anyone who said 2 was good or ok allowed this to happen.
3's ending and Andromeda never had s chance to be good because you dumb faggots allowed this trash to continue.

Complaining about 3s ending and Andromeda is like falling off a 10 story building and then someone coming up and kicking you. Sure, I don't want to be kicked. But at this point it doesnt even matter.

Attached: Every thread.jpg (900x993, 267K)

It came out as a hate letter.
In 3 Ashley is maybe the only character who is written decently snd acted like she should. Maybe because sassy young teen girl is her charscter and she lucked out because thats how every character in the game is written. Except for Citadel where the writers transformed.her, along with everyone, into a joke. I'm sure Kaidan or whoever fills in and asks.the volus to open up had the exact same lines.

First of all Star Wars lore already existed. And even it and kotor are not better. Sorry.

>lighten the story/characters
But muh gritty and edgy. Don't you remember then releasing videos on their site talking about them wanting "the next instalment" to be darker and more mature?

Citadel DLC is a really great way to identify who is a tasteless faggot who just wants awful fanservice.

Not wrong but this cringe humor is what comprises the citadel

Kaidan barely has any lines

Nothing in the game is dark. Soveriegn was dark, a clear Cthlhulu-type unknowable menace.
Me2 is superficially dark as if you asked a junior high student to write it.

>omega such a badass name, it means end in greek xD
>whoa dont.mess with aria.shes so badass she said so xd
>lets make human reaper xd
>every 2 minutes
2 minutes is generous. Try every 2 seconds

Agreed. And I challenge every faggot who likes the Citadel DLC to imagine implementing it in ME 1. It literally wouldn't have fit with that game's atmosphere, because that game didn't have faggy quirky dialogue as the norm.

user you cant keep replying to everyone who thinks its alright with your same response

>Me2 is superficially dark as if you asked a junior high student to write it.
That's what I was implying, yeah.

Vega was supposed to be the average guy who's just joining in on the adventure so that everyone has to explain everything that's going on to him. He exists solely for the retards that decided it would be a good idea to play the third game in a trilogy first.

>same response

>its good ur wrong!
Vs
>reasoning

Thank you for continuing to prove that people who like Citadel are retarded.

They actually thought it was a good idea to put a game journalist in the game.

ME2 was written by a retarded comic book fan manchild whose name is Mac Walters

terranigma for the super nintendo

ah yes, that's what makes a good videogame. shitty writing and fluffed up ''''lore''''

I just finished 3 today and never used Vega. But they still spend so much time reexplaining common knowledge throughout the entire game. Sometimes multiple times.

I can't remember what it was, but near the very end some squadmate said something extremely basic and Sheperd axted shocked like "really!?"and they explained it again.

It's not this, but it was on the same level of Tali saying they created the Geth with Sheperd acting as if it was the first time he'd heard it.

Reminder that there are faggot zoomers on Yea Forums that are now saying Mass Effect 3 was complete dogshit

Attached: 1562077204135.png (297x297, 126K)

Me2 certainly felt like capeshit. That would explain it.

Instead of your everyman teammates in 1, 2 was full of SUPER SOLDIER CAPTAIN PRESIDENT KING BEST EVER and use if biotics went from a nuanced ability with repercussions into superman, with all biotics users levitating and make superhero poses throughout the game.

you've got to be joking. Kai Leng was the biggest piece of shit, deus arse machina bit of fanfornication aevre written.

I enjoyed it despite the ending, gameplay was solid and the writing was ass but it already had become ass in ME2 anyway. Got 1000% better after modding the ending and 10000% better in retrospect after Andromeda came out.

Are you trying to say Yea Forums didn't shit on it nonstop when it came out?

It had good gameplay, but everything else was a downgrade, down to the fucking art style and voice acting.

Expect the Jewflix show in future

>now

Writing/dialogue is the biggest offender.

Also did Wrex change voice actors or did they seriously change his character and direction because he is nearly unrecognizable

From a writing standpoint, choosing to resolve major conflicts like genophage and geth is childish writing. Their existence was great to give background and context to the species' histories and relation to one another. But solving these isn't interesting. It removes conflict and nuance.

But dude the player want to be jesus so let give to them haha

only masseffect 1 was good

It was the same actor, but I noticed it too. It was too high pitched and he was too giddy. All of the voice actors returned but they all sounded weird except for Liara.

>It came out as a hate letter.
Not really. In forums you can see some hate but also people finding it 'funny'. Don't try to pretend and for christ sake we are talking about Bioware fans.

we've been bitching about me3 since it fucking released
begone, newfag, you've outed yourself

I'm not claiming everyone hated it. Of course the bandwagon capeshit fans on reddit and bioware forums screeching "wrex badass xDDD, omgz the toothbrush i literally cant xD" defended it.

>It's the worst dialogue written in any media in history.
It's hard to take you seriously when you spout childish shit like this.

>over and umm? No? Out? Ovee and like um out is that right sheperd
>don't be such a drama queen i've tpta''y got this boo
Nothing I could ever do would surpass defending this garbage. And I'm not exaggerating. Outside of Marvel movies themselves, I can't think of anything so poorly written and out of character.

Stay in school

If that's your definition of "the worst dialogue written in any media in history" then you are hilariously out of reality and should expand your interests outside of shitty video games.

>casey hudson
I think you meant Mac Walters.
Hudson was the Director for all three games.

The very notion.that video games are "shitty" and can never live up to other aer forms is a result of things lile ME2, ME3, Citadel, and people like you defending them blindly.
Yes I say blindly because my insults have been tagged with reasoning, examples, and arguments all throughout this thread.

Your insults are accompanied by nothing. So if anyone is childish or out of touch here, it's you.

>In 3 Ashley is maybe the only character who is written decently
No she isn't, gone was the Space racist poet, and she was replaced with some battle thot

I said decently not good. Not up to ME1 standards.

Maybe I feel she's decent by default since every other character is just making stupid quips the whole time.

WREX THERES A REAPER IN MY WAYYYY XD

Citadel is fine. Mass Effect has always had goofiness. I just don't like it being so on the nose with its humor ("Hey, we're on a ladder! Do I really sound like that?), but the rest is fine

No more Drew Karpyshyn

>I have every single character/weapon/upgrade most of them maxed out
I have more than 200hrs and never got what I wanted.
One thing I hated the most was the loot crates that they added before they dropped the support for the game, I never got anything interesting out of them. It's a real shame because it was fun to play. Is it better on PC?

As much as I can't stand ME:A and the ridiculous grind in the multipler, I noticed that it was easier to max out the characters and the default weapons via the basic crate. The only issue is that the net code was crap and now the multiplayer is nearly dead (at least on PC).

No its not fine.

Some goofiness is not equivalent to 3 hours of out of character quips.

>Shepard. Wrex.
In 1, if intentional, this was subtle. This is the Citadel version.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj6iDczCDOI

The comments tell you what kind of crowd likes this.

He's saying that your opinion isn't worth anything isn't worth anything if you honestly think that Citadel has the worst dialogue of anything in history, and then when someone presses you on it, you bring up Marvel movies as if those are the only other pieces of fiction in existence.

For example, in this year alone, I saw Ma in theaters. It had dialogue worse than Citadel or any of the Marvel movies. Literally off the top of my head too.

The writing and dialogue was never good. Have you played 1 in the last couple of years?

Alenko's writing was superior to her's in every way; which is a damn shame as Mass Effect 1's Williams was excellent.

Yep the only two writers who seemed to be invested in the setting were Karpyshyn who seems to have been the overall creator and Chris l'Etoile

What? The exchange in 1 wasn't intentional, just an infamously awkward. This is making fun of it years later.

I had my problems with Citadel but I'm not gonna get as insanely bootyblasted as you over some self-parody

Starchild embodies everything that's wrong with this game.

Yes and it was great in 1.

Saying everything sucks makes you look like a child.

I bring up Marvel not becaude they are good but because the dialogue in them is so bad bit in a comparable way (depth and meaningful discussion cast aside in favor of dumb jokes and one-line quips). Mac Walters is a fan of superhero shit and the writing style reflects that making for a good comparison. That fact that you can't comprehend this and continue to avoid any argumentation and just want to.lay insults continues to your mental ineptitude.

Saying your opinion isn't worth anything by saying it's good is more meaningful because I have presented examples and arguments.

Attacking me by saying I don't know much about art/media outside games is the most ignorant attempt at an accusation that you could make. You suggest games are bad, but want to defend.3 and citadel. I've read plenty of books, seen plenty of movies, but by your own implication that these are better forms, what do you expect to expose in me? That I find each one of those better written than 3/citadel? Because they are. I not going to compare it to Casablanca and the like, when arguing what's the worst I'm.going to compare it with sometjing bad.

My god you are what Einstein is referring to with infinite ignorance. I feel even more.justified in disliking citadel because people such as you who.defend it are this astonishly stupid

If you are going to state with such confidence that it was unintentional you need a source.

It's not the worst psrt of Citadel, but horrendously terrible way to make a callback nonetheless. I'm not against fun and humor, its just done so astoundingly awfully.

>ME2
>story is better
Even during the mass Waifu fever that lead to /vg/, NOBODY thought the story was good.

Does anyone else get glitched in the cockpit and have to reload or is that just my pirated copy?

Does anyone have an archive of stormwaltz.gamerdna.com, particularly the unofficial mass effect dev diaries?
It seems as if l'Etoile has removed his site.

In three? That's in every copy. you can use the console to fix it rather than reloading.

>What? Did you expect protheans to be some advanced spiritual superior beings and not racist xenophobic assholes?
>Subverting expectations before this is even a thing!

I'm
Still
Mad

Yeah. Just curious if that was common or exclusive to pc or something.

If its in every version its shocking they didnt patch it considering how easy it is to get stuck.

Citadel was campy, and that's fine.

I also had a good deal of fun in the arena with two best battletoads.

Attached: nc92hhYgEx1s82cuyo3.gif (245x379, 1.77M)

I unironically enjoyed the citadel DLC, the rest of the game was absolute garbage tho

>What? Did you expect protheans to be some advanced spiritual superior beings and not racist xenophobic assholes?
Why did you expect that? You already knew they had giant amounts of slaves and were extremely militaristic even before ME3.

Aria is a truly bafflingly bad character.
>start off the game
>go to some shithole
>TELL the player that it’s some major crime den
>within the first minute, you’re told “you’re not as sneaky as you think ;^) oh btw meet this Aria person. She’s awesome.” despite landing in a ship with a fucking logo on it
At this point, the player is wondering who the fuck Aria is, and why the fuck they should care
>go to this club
>nothing special about it whatsoever
>go to this slightly raised platform with a few assholes guarding it
>then you’re yet again TOLD how badass this aria is
>the player has no choice but to fawn in various ways
>despite Shepard potentially having told the three most powerful in the galaxy to fuck off to their faces, not to mention facing down a fucking reaper
She’s a classic example of an author favoured character, and it’s just weird how poorly she gets shoved in.
That’s the sort of character that really needs to be built up by proxy before an introduction.
TiM has very similar problems, but at the very least he was introduced with a fuck ton of very obvious money, power and influence which, most importantly, was mostly shown to the player rather than having them be lectured.

Dudemclargehuge was the best squad member

Attached: 2uxotkx.jpg (800x800, 106K)

>*unlocks the dlc with notepad*

good, you have opened this notepad

You are the problem.

It is, fuckwad

Citadel was the best part of that shit game though.

Funny how every other girl got less attractive with the exception of Liara

Attached: Tit Affect.jpg (1648x3092, 682K)

Attached: mass_effect_3_jack.jpg (1920x1080, 125K)

Jack is best girl

I really liked leviathans

Attached: leviathans.png (1920x1080, 1.62M)

I'm sorry, did I stutter?

Attached: 1524132511353.jpg (800x1155, 130K)

>Bioware actually designed a high res full nude model just for the sex scene in me3
based

>Campy capeshit tier banter is good
yikes

>Kai Leng was a great character

Attached: 1560017269951.jpg (640x532, 32K)

Attached: 1548242339732.png (622x607, 408K)

Hello rédditor, you seem to be on the wrong website.

The rest of the game is even worse
>baww a kid died
>generic "we have to win this" and "it's all on you Shepard" throwaway lines in every story-related conversation

Nigga the only way you perform the "Shepard Wrex" exchange in 1 is to keep starting a conversation with Wrex and instantly ending it, It wasn't fucking subtle it was people making their own fun.

*worst

>Hello rédditor

Thats all what you have, fucking brainlet

True. Liara remained an unappealing drawn eyebrow bitch throughout the series.

I felt Leviathan, Menae and Thessia (excluding Kai Leng) were better.

I with there was the way to ignore her in 3
She's too fanservice-y and annoying

Explain how Kai Leng was a good Character.
>inb4 Mass Effect: Retribution
We're talking about vidya version

Liara sure as hell got improved the most

Attached: 1561398214526.jpg (2700x900, 379K)

EA took over, incel writers got neutered.

Troy Baker doesn't make character "great" automatically

There's a back off Liara mod on Nexus.

Mass Effect is the LotR of vidya.

There are so few female writers that the actually good female writers already have steady jobs.

Wrex completely changed between 1 and 2. He went from a stoic merc who didn't care about anything other than his next paycheck, to a boisterous loudmouth who suddenly decided he needed to take over his entire species and lead them into the light.

Not even close. If that was so, there would be hundreds of its clones by now and I don't see any.

>*btfos your alien slut*

Attached: ashley.png (500x549, 480K)

Why would you want that?

Attached: 1561258552965.jpg (1920x1080, 277K)

this nigga knows whats up
kinda want to replay ME1, but then i remember how it's literally kotor mechanically and that game, too is only playable because of its interesting story/characters

How?

Attached: 1561986466834.jpg (728x1080, 53K)

>didn't care about anything other than his next paycheck
Let's just ignore what happened on Virmire.

I think that just proves how fucking awful the medium still is.

I wouldn't I like Liara: that user might though.

Not in a dress your not Williams.
Go put on the proper fatigues or your armor already.

I don't like blue color

I still don't understand how Mass Effect never got cloned if it was such a success. There's barely any other space operas out there by now. Is it really that hard to make a game like this compared to other more accessible genres and styles?

>people still push the indoctrination theory
It's like you worthless faggots didn't even pay attention while on Thessia.

>I still don't understand how Mass Effect never got cloned
Neither do I, the basic flying around in a ship and visiting planets and stuff is a great concept for an open world RPG, I'm genuinely surprised no one else has done it..

so how bad is Mass Effect Andromeda compared to Mass effect 3?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 93K)

>indoctrination theory
I don't think anyone claims Shepard is indoctrinated, just that the Reapers are actively attempting to indoctrinate him.

>so how bad is Mass Effect Andromeda compared to Mass effect 3
Worse in nearly every way.

Worse writing, worse animations, worse EVERYTHING.

I enjoyed TOR for the same reasons but the god damn MMO shit and other terrible decisions really fuck with the formula.

Attached: RGB laser.jpg (1920x3240, 962K)

you FUCK actually kill yourself kai leng you fucking homo

Completely forgettable.
None of the original trilogy's great characters, missions, or plots.
The only thing it has going for itself are shooting which is actually fun and its visuals.

Attached: 1532191973674.jpg (2560x1440, 654K)

ME3 was worse. Even with the endings hate, it gets off way too easy for everything it did wrong.

Imagine unironically enjoying shitty gameplay and gamedesign only to read some questionable text.

Just read a book, hippie.

>ME3 was worse.
Explain your contrarian opinion.

because things like galaxy index from first game where cut almost completely

It's a different kind of game. Most of it is a chore. It has its moments but you have to accept that it's different. For every single thing it does right it also does ten other things wrong. For every genuine character moment there's ten annoying conversations you want to skip entirely. For every good cinematic scene and expressive animation there's ten tired faces and A-B cutscenes. You have to actively look for things you can enjoy there. When it's good, it's good, but when it's bad, it's laughably horrible. I kinda got used to it since I'm no stranger to flawed games but it's not a good game overall.

The dyke looking manjaw character is actually straight and has a nice ass.

I understand why senior staff and execs leave when a company gets EA'd. I don't get why the grunts leave.

>Completely forgettable.
youtube.com/watch?v=RSL_VpbSAQw

>Completely forgettable.
>Completely
>forgettable.
youtube.com/watch?v=7KWkao73HuU

Was the best part of that game really that and the underwater dlc forget the name

>Was the worst part of that game really
Ftfy

Well, I guess it had some entertainment value after all, unlike the "unmemeable" Anthem.

the combat feels really good. that's the only praise worthy thing that game gets.

It's not contrarian, ME3 was garbage from start to finish. At least MEA's had a plot that made sense.

>Was the best part of that game really
Ftfy

Perfect face

Go play it again. The dialogue is beyond horrendous.

>entertainment value
I guess. I'm so mad about that shit that I've accidentally put the "ME"3 spaceballs one instead first. Not that those are fundamentally much different.

There's something I don't understand, what did Mac Walters do to get made lead writer?
He wrote Wrex and Garrus in 1 and that was it I thought.
Chris l'Etoile was the writer who did the most after Karpyshyn but the two of them were reassigned during the development of ME2 for some reason, Chris even left the company.
Weekes wrote Kaiden and Feros' dialogue IIRC.

Let me guess you probably like Mass Effect 2 more than 1

you missed the biggest one of all
>bioware social network
where people couldn't care less about the Reapers just so long as they got to bang their pixelated waifus

>Kai "piss in this admiral's vase and eat his cereal Leng ever being cool

>Separated from the reaper thing for the most part
which it shouldn't have been.
>people getting turned into space goop and burning alive
>nah mate I need to sing a long with Tali

Give me some examples then beacuse I can't remember what possible could be that bad. Sone of the Dialogue was kinda stiff but not that bad user.

>Bioware Social Network
Someone post the banners

Tuchanka and rannoch were great though

My guess is he was cheaper than Karpyshyn. Ea bought out bioware and started making all tyese budget cuts and more dlc.

Watch from the moment sheperd falls through the sushi reastaurant floor until wrex arrives. That is enough

>He went from a stoic merc who didn't care about anything other than his next paycheck
Congrats on completely missing the point to him in 1, he does care about the Krograns but he was apathetic because he was bitter and felt like it was useless with the Genophage and his father trying to backstab him trying to unite everyone.
Working with Shepard makes him realise he maybe can make a difference.

Krogan Sentinels were crazy fun. Incinerate followed by a Krogan charge and some lift grenades into a group of their buddies around the corner

Better combat and terrain.

Not really. Better than everything else because its relying on good shit setup by better writers in 1. But see:

>waaah waah why is ME3 so bad
What the fuck were you even expecting from this game? What exactly didn't meet your expectations? You faggots only whine and never suggest your own ideas for what could've been made better.
I'll even say that the "organics vs. synthetics" explanation for Reapers was better than whatever the fuck Drew wanted to do with the dark energy subplot. Debate me.

Not him but turning him into a messiah who clicks his heels and says "hot dog gee willikeers" is going too far

Regardless how negative the reception of the trilogy here is, Mass Effect is a one time unique experience. To even recognize one third of your choices across all three games (in 3 it is even important what a fucking license you bought in the first game for the last Conrad Verner quest) on 2005 tech is a huge achievement and a complex one on top of that.

So ye, no shit there aren't dozens of space operas who come out weekly.

>kai leng

Attached: Kojima_Leng.jpg (900x900, 440K)

drew karpyshyn left.

I expected very little which is why i didnt play it for 9 years. But I didnlt expect the putrid capeshit one line quip dialogue especially in the Citadel dlc (pictured in op, since you were too retarded to notice).

2 killed the series. I wouldve been mostly fine with 3 if not for the horrendous, god-awful dialogue. It's not good, it has tons of other major problems. But the dialogue is what caused the real implosion.

But Karpyshyn was still working for them until 2012, just on The Old Republic instead.
If he left voluntarily the lead writing position should have been given to Chris l'Etoile considering he was responsible for actually writing missions, he wrote Noveria and Caleston (which ended up being turned into Therum as they ran out of time to finish implementing the whole thing;) as well as most of the codex entries and the planet descriptions.

Why the FUCK did they put chinky eyes on his visors?

>the final game should not resolve conflict essential to the setting

There are people who grow up and develop higher level thought-processing, and then there are people like the Citadel DLC.

They made Jessica Chobot a character, I mean FOR FUCK'S SAKE

>preferring the girl the writers wanted you to be with by default
Liara is the only good option for female Shepard's but you shouldn't expand your mind and not fall for marketing ploys

fuck you for reminding me about her

dont sit here and pretent like these limpwristed male jews are any better.
actually they are even worse if you look at who writes what and who sets the direction.

>essential
It is not essential and it is not even an active conflict. If you are incapable of understanding things existing in the background you have the same childish mentality of the writers.

Star Wars doesnt go end the slave trade on tatooine. Harry Potter doesnt sign a treaty between wizards and muggles and make up with his aunt and uncle.

We'll bang ok?

Something happened in 2014.

Attached: Soylent.png (1154x475, 31K)

and thats really the whole issue in a nutshell everything you do is mired by the fact that the Reapers are here and in the middle of harvesting. Anything else is trivial

BATTLE TITS

is she even still relevant or working for IGN?

Liara is a good character in 1.

In 2 she is dogshit. 3 there is a little redemption but by then she's so fucked up that her return just makes her lose any consistency.

Again, the writing was a trainwreck since 2

Can we all just admit that Afterlife is the best club in the galaxy and everything Aria/Omega related is 10/10?

Attached: 653f50d5-b4a0-4ec4-acb6-fc8694ce669c.jpg (540x400, 162K)

The genophage is essential in me1 as is the geth conflict. They are also essential because they hinder the cooperation needed to defeat the reapers. If you write the game to defeat the reapers without cooperation it would undermine everything the previous games were building up which is that different species can live together and help eachother so the resolution of the genophage and geth not only is vital to the plot but also adds to the point the game were trying to make.

HAHA GUYS ITS OK ME3 WAS REAL BAD BUT WHAT ABOUT... MARAUDER SHIELDS! LOL HE TRIED TO WARN US! HIS NAME WS MARAUDER SHIELDS! LOLOLOLOL

me3's coping was even weirder from the normie side than ours

I WANT HER BLUE ASS IN MY BED

Attached: 1529431476364.jpg (500x500, 178K)

The villain of that DLC was a better antagonist than the illusive man so I can agree. Omega is my favorite place in the me universe

>I'll even say that the "organics vs. synthetics" explanation for Reapers was better than whatever the fuck Drew wanted to do with the dark energy subplot. Debate me.
There's nothing to debate, you're simply not intelligent enough to even remotely understand contemporary physics, let alone try to extrapolate from that.

Carrie Anne Moss really delivered

>Liara is a good character in 1.
She's neither good nor a character in 1

She's purple...

>1>=2>>>>>
3Liara is just generic babe with a gun. At leas her DLC was good in 2

The blue suns guy says that user, I assume this faggot is quoting him.

she'll be after I'm done with her

Attached: 1529431382251.jpg (1920x1080, 95K)

Not in the DLC. It was the most expensive of the bunch AFAIR, and it didn't even have the same level of her voice acting as in 2.

Don't.
FUCK.
With Aria.

Attached: 716715ca867d701f050b84c4d9a5c1ed.jpg (500x667, 46K)

I don't think she overacted but I can't remember the DLC very well.
My benchmark for overacting is Femshep post ME1

I don't like Aria's bland Kim Wilde looking face

>aria
Are you high? She was the worst example enforced player boot licking in the game

The problem isn't in the physics behind the dark matter fucking up the stars. The problem is that if they had stuck to this idea, then the Reapers would have failed to find a solution on their own in a billion years, and yet Shepard would say "fuck you and your cycle, we WILL find it". And then they wouldn't show the supposed solution anyway.
Now with organics vs. synthetics conflict, everything makes more sense. The Reapers were a very Skynet-like solution to this problem, and each ending offered a sensible alternative to it (even Synthesis). The problem with the endings is how poorly they were executed.

COME ON, LET ME IN

Attached: ME2Game_2018-05-22_22-16-53-76.jpg (1600x900, 445K)

>The problem isn't in the physics behind the dark matter fucking up the stars. The problem is that if they had stuck to this idea, then the Reapers would have failed to find a solution on their own in a billion years, and yet Shepard would say "fuck you and your cycle, we WILL find it". And then they wouldn't show the supposed solution anyway.
That's not a bad thing. Maybe there is no solution. Or at least maybe the current batch of organics (and Geth) will fail to find the solution. And the galaxy is fucked. That's consequences, don't you think?

She didn't overact, she didn't act at all.

The story in 2 is better, because it hardly has a story.
>le ancient evil awakens
is not good stotytelling and ME2 made the wise decision to mostly steer clear of such retardation.
Its not a coincidence that the main story missions are the worst part of the game.
As far as characters go i can safely say that i vastly prefer a mordin solus, jack or Thane to ashley or the other gay guy.
Furthermore the only reason most people remember great characters like garrus or Wrex as being great, because they actually turn them into characters in 2.

Attached: 1547305384652.jpg (447x447, 156K)

I want to break that one rule so bad.

Why doesn't he just go through that other unguarded way?

Because Elcors are racist

Diversity and token hires at bioware happened.
Also the doctors were already distanced at that time.

Bill Gates quit Microsoft

It's not YOU fucking Aria user......

Holy fuck are you stupid

Disprove my facts faggot.
Protip: You cant nigger

Not with that attitude

>wrex wasn't a character before 2
He's barely in the game what are you talking about

desu I love that Garrus vent ape shit and turned into a fucking "Red Hood"

Cosmic horror

The thing people remember most about Wrex those that didnt kill him atleast is him shoving aside that stupid faggot and going for a hug. He only turned into your bro in 2.

Omega literally means big O though. O-mega, mega as in big. It symbolizes the end because it's the last letter of the greek alphabet.

Attached: 056166201cec313d5cf1f4ccb02828ffd92e6ea5c933c3ce0ae3ca06e2306115.png (1726x2400, 496K)

>probletunity
>fucking KROGAN trying to fuck a human female
honorary krogan

I wonder if Chambers could take an entire elcor dick to the hilt.

Attached: libertyi.jpg (750x600, 100K)

Wrex becomes a bro only after ME2
His character in ME1 is literally 2 quotes:
1) "Shepard."
2) "REEEEEEEEEE CURE GENOPHAGE AM EVIL REEEEEE"

>that last sentence
It would hurt me had I not given up yet

I liked it because ME went to shit after ME1 anyway with retcons and other stupid shit, so at that point you might as well just stick the only redeeming quality (the characters) into wacky situations. Really though, you should just play ME1 and pretend like there wasnt anything after that save for a few of the better characters in 2

That's a part of his arc though. ME1 is him disillusioned and unable to find meaning in the mess of his species' backwards thinking and infertility, ME2 is him trying to fix it, ME3 is him fixing it.

Attached: 574534542234534.jpg (292x173, 13K)

>Wrex becomes a bro only after ME2
>His character in ME1 is literally 2 quotes:
>1) "Shepard."
>2) "REEEEEEEEEE CURE GENOPHAGE AM EVIL REEEEEE"
Wrex was probably the most developed character in 1 (after Williams), he tells you several stories from his past
>Battle with Aleena
>Briefly worked for Saren
>Story about his father trying to kill him

Garrus and Wrex are characters women will never understand

youtube.com/watch?v=R2SKNbkH9tI

plenty of women understand Garrus are you fucking stupid

>remake ME1 with more balanced gameplay (aka nerf fucking biotics)
>make it so that you can fuck the aliens too
>pretend like the rest of the series didnt fucking happen
>if you absolutely need a sequel, rework the entire fucking games save for a few of the tolerable characters like Grunt and Mordin
There, I fixed it

They dont get what bros really are because theyre not men

>understand
Are attracted to.

>plenty of women fuck Garrus
What's there to understand if xenophilia is on the table? Who cares?

>nerf fucking biotics
fuck off, biotic ragdoll is the best part of ME1

They are attracted to him, they dont understand him though

>nerf fucking biotics
How are Immunity+Adrenaline or all those insane Tech debuffs any better? There's no need to nerf anything.

Sums up mass effect and the current problem facing gaming.

To show you he’s from Asia

That was ruined when Sovereign started humblebragging to Shepard and then jobbed to Joker. If they were intended as cosmic horror, then the writers failed miserably

Wish she'd stayed bald. That hair style is so garbage.

This.
>it is now a better decision to work with straight white men over anyone else because they are more likely to be better qualified/experienced than diversity hires
>social justice has actually made racism/bigotry a rational strategy

Oh yeah? The best or second to best waifu in all the series is tied to the worst game. There's no way the sjw cucks wrote her romance.

Attached: https___blogs-images.forbes.com_insertcoin_files_2017_04_vetra-nyx-mass-effect.jpg (960x540, 58K)

Fair enough, but it's doesn't change the fact that he developed into a better character in next two ME games
Instead of keeping killing everything in his path without reason seeking for a purpose in life he decided to unite every krogan and give them another chance
and that's a good thing

>What exactly didn't meet your expectations?
The marketers and producers straight-up lying about what the game was caused 90% of that problem.
Dark energy would have been shit as well, ultimately the only problem with the ending is that they went for shock/confusion value instead of building to the conclusion.

>best or second to best waifu
>literal non-character
she was the best in Andromeda for sure but she's still bland garbage compared to any real ME love interest

>Bioware gets so butthurt over people rightfully calling thermal clips fucking retarded that they feel the need to strawman said critics in-game

>There's no way the sjw cucks wrote her romance.
Yes they did, she was supposed to be straight and the writer for her fought really hard to make her bi.
Not only was Vetra's writer an SJW, she was also a woman.

1/10*
Aria is pretty shit

ME3 is pretty bad game but at least RGHAaAAAAAAA is fun

Attached: 15903247215.webm (854x480, 2.66M)

Wait, what? I dont remember this

Her dlc in 2 was a greasefire

only played ME1 and 2.
Found 2 much better because gameplay was not a slog.
I don't know what was worse in 1: the mako sections, the RPG-FPS bullshit or the fact that you had to be constantly micro-managing pointless pieces of equipment and onemillion similar guns with different names.

My opinion about the franchise: the story was always shit even in 1 and 2. The only cool thing about Mass Effect is the ambiance, the memorable levels, the john-carpenter-like music, the very dark universe that you can guess through reading the lore and the desperation that you can sense for humanity, the great backgrounds in the space station, etc...

Durrphgghhmmmgfffff

Vanguard was indeed amazing, sentinel too.

Le stronk independant bald lesbian woman leader
>not sjw
Delusion on a supreme level

It looks like something out of Darksiders or maybe Street Fighter.

Not him, but they added a bunch of BS jokes in both ME2 and ME3 to explain thermal clips away and make fun of the people that complained about the change.

>jobbed
Thats not what happened i suggest you replay the ending

Hello high school student. Enjoying summer?

insanity was too easy even before all the op shit from dlc came out

the krogan are a menace and 1 or 2 good ones will not keep the tide of space niggers from ruining the galaxy. always sabotage and kill the quarians for being dumb cunts

Like the bitch who kept pushing to get rid of game play elements and wanted to turn the series more into a book? Fuck that shit.
I still remember shit like legion, the rachni queen, etc didn't matter at all. They'd get copies in case they were dead, further defeating the purpose of choice. This game was such a cluster fuck that you'd think this was a Kojima game.

Yeah, in fact she's so bald that the bone of her skull is showing.

I refuse to believe they weren't actively trolling their fanbase with that shit

This

Drew was the brains behind the writing. Mac is a hack.

My dream was to see actual consequences. Above and beyond what even was promised. I wanted that retard little spar with slab squat-thrust the border-hopping thug to end with him getting just destroyed by a 7 foot amazon she-shep seething with everything cerebus money and mordin pumped into me. By the end of 2 you're in no way human anymore

Vetra was the best in her game but still not really great. There's just literally no alternative in Andromeda so she wins simply by not being an ugly annoying shithead.

> Where, how did Mass Effect and video games go so wrong?

2's main plot is almost as bad as 3's, people were just more accepting because most of the individual character stories were good and they were sure everything would be fine since they had one more game to sort everything out.

this

>Tali's sweat
That place was utter cancer

Fuck off faggot. Why don't you go to one of those forums where you get a special name and a badge saying how long you've been there and then you can be a janny over there banning people for bringing up old threads.

Attached: DUmw9mOWsAAhNZr.jpg (474x366, 31K)

Attached: 1559293477910.webm (832x1344, 3M)

*pre rock splatter

The thing that bugged me the most was the weird order of games
>You do one mission and become a Spectre
>You unearth the Reaper threat
>You fight the Reapers
>In 2 you stop fighting the Reapers to fight their henchmen
>In 3 you remember that Reapers are still coming even after all those years so you divert the attention back on them
The order should've been 2->1->3
>Start working Cerebrus
>Investigate the missing colonies
>Discover the Collectors
>Defeat the Collectors
>Discover that the Reapers are in charge
>Get Spectre status for achieving everything you did
>Seek out the Reapers
>Defeat one of them
>Third game start right where the second ended, the Reapers were defeated on the Citadel and now they're on route to Earth

I'll give women one thing: they're good at writing shameless, unapologetic fan pandering at least. Citadel was the highlight of 3 outside of Genophage.

Attached: 8463.gif (69x120, 65K)

The hips of an alien fertility goddess
I'm still mad about her face reveal

Attached: mass_effect___pick_up_the_pieces_by_ghostfire-d4x1rnf.png (1000x1286, 1.19M)

>work for Cerberus all along
That would be just as bad

Apparently according to books by Drew(which I haven't read) Quarians ARE supposed to be human-like.

2 should've never happened.

Funny thing, tho. According to original you were supposed to be brought back by and work with the GETH. When Martin Sheen came along all these changed because they wanted a much bigger role for him.

*original plans

No, you start at working for them and by 1, you realize they're shitty and 1 gives the proof to their shadiness
That way, their role as antagonists in 3 makes more sense in a streamlined manner
It's no longer
>These people are horrible shitcunts
>Well I gotta work for them so a bit so I'll forget all the things I've seen the labs because I'm too focused on tapping that genetically perfect ass
>Oh wait, they ARE evil, let's get back to defeating them

At least they dodged that bullet

Attached: airlock.png (1000x842, 127K)

I dont understand why people bitched about the mako stuff. Exploring alien surfaces was way more fun then the gay planetary probe shit. It could get sort of repetitive I guess, but that was when I would go and do a main story mission and everything would be fine.

Then you go to the Alliance, who'd take a former terrorist?
Cerberus is just a trashfire that just fucked up the series because Mac Walters wanted to make the Avengers in space or some shit

It doesn't handle like their sleek pretty vehicles from $this_year's_Call_of_Modern_Battlefield_iteration.

Human like is a pretty vague concept

Attached: 155365682542.png (1230x419, 540K)

This is a literal gypsy dance, wtf.

They have hair user, that was part of the looking humanlike in Ascension

Or you could just, you know, make ME2 be about Shepard still being Alliance but operating in secret/on the fringes because the government cant openly admit that death machines are coming to the public yet? Hand wave away most of your team leaving by saying that they too are operating in secret on their own to start preparing for the reaper threat. You check in on them periodically and they keep bringing up for Cerberus is growing in power, and you fight them for a few small missions.

Congrats, you still have new teammates, you still have the drama with the government about being hush hush regarding the reapers, Cerberus is still the bad guys, and the progression now makes sense. If you're vague about the looming threat of Cerberus, you can sort of even handwave away them being a near galatic force in 3.

Weren't Cerebrus part of the Alliance at some point? It's really easy to think about it as Shepard being a competent enough to advance to the Black Ops of the Alliance but is oblivious enough to not get the whole picture of Cerebrus
I think it will add more intrigue, as you investigate the Collectors you also uncover more and more about Cerberus
So by the end of the game, you have 2 threats - And external (Reapers) and internal (Cerberus)
I think that submitting evidance against Cerberus and helping the colonies is enough to earn your Spectre status and because you did technically were part of a terror group, the council has more of a reason to distrust you and maybe give you the hard time they did back in the original

It's a long stretch and you're right, Cerberus is trash and should've been just Shepard still being Alliance only more hush-hush because he has to go to the Terminus Systems

This, exploration was comfy as fuck. I'll always be fond of Trebin, first planet I ever explored and it had a bit of everything

>start working for Cerberus
No.
It should have been Captain Anderson doing the investigation, with you on the ground with semi autonomy to carry out the practical work.
Cerberus would be a shadowy but interested third party that offers help in exchange for little favours. Possibly in the form of side quests, possibly in the main quest.

That's a cool idea too, the possibilities are endless and yet they dropped the ball that hard
I sort of want to go into writing for video games, I'm not any good but neither are they so it evens out

>Ascension
Huh, never bothered with me books,are they any good?

Attached: 1524635256721.png (390x419, 183K)

Don't bother.
There are 4, first one is alright, it's Saren fucking shit up and making Anderson butthurt.
Second is about autism girl adventures with quarians.
Third introduces Kai Leng, the cereal killer.
Fourth is utter shit, so much so it got patched. Cereal killer kills autism girl with a toothbrush or something? It's written by a different writer who didn't read the previous 3.

>expecting good writing from ANY video game
you played yourself - when you break it down it's literally ALWAYS cringe.

Attached: 1561239550900.jpg (877x807, 100K)

Humanoid is a very likely platform to evolve. But a species that has evolved to carry the seeds and spores of the flora and fungi of their planet probably would not evolve to have that many humanlike features.

Citadel DLC was fun.

On a related note - I bought some DA book written by Gaider. Never have I seen anything more THIS IS GAY LOOK AT IT DO YOU SEE HOW GAY IT IS than the two fags in that book.

Attached: 1559916747206.gif (801x495, 338K)

Attached: Choose carefully.jpg (1920x1080, 162K)

>Gaider
Yeah, he went pretty gay after DA2

>neither

>implying that you can get rid of Liara

Attached: 15735760235.png (609x586, 382K)

>tell both of them to fuck off every chance I get
>still end up with this cutscene
>pick blue bitch then dump her when she asks for dick
Fuck the shit taste of whoever made the romances in ME.

Picture unrelated I guess?

Imma go ahead and say Tali got better looking too.

that "underwater" DLC had all its "good" parts at the very end of its last mission which was actually underwater. The rest is just boring filler shit with boring filler shit characters

>underwater dlc forget the name
Leviathan

My Tyrone Shepard kept his superior male vitality away from all thots by treating them like shit.

I liked Revelation, Ascension and Retribution (they're written by Karpyshyn). I don't think this user actually read them, as Kai Leng is fine in Retribution. But he is right about Deception, it's a clusterfuck don't read that one.

>Deception
He.

docs.google.com/document/d/1XBpMF3ONlI308D9IGG8KICBHfWKU0sXh0ntukv-_cmo/preview?pli=1#

I did read the first 3, just mostly wiped them from my memory now. I didn't read Deception though I was planning to. Kai Leng isn't nowhere as bad as he is in the game, true, but his character serves no purpose beyond the edgy dastardly antagonist that is always one step ahead, blast him!

>they had to patch a book
>patch
>a fucking book

meant for

me2 story and plot were shit but the characters' personalities and designs were miles above me1, which is why people choose to ignore the irrelevant and poorly thought out plot in favor of them.

I mean, is this even a serious question? It's obvious what happened. EA bought Bioware. The company as we knew it ceased to exist as anything other than a trademark that day. And like every other time EA has bought out a studio, 95% of the talent jumped ship or were forced out. Some, several months before the sale once they saw which way the wind was blowing. Some stayed on to try and complete ME2 all while EA's coin-men had already arrived and began making changes or overruling the devs to fit the game into whatever focus-test checklist they'd arrived at. The effect will probably be even more pronounced now, since it's common knowledge that if the company sells out(especially to EA or Activision), EVERYTHING is over.

This. Nothing wrong with hiring women. These companies hire unqualified and unskilled women simply because they're women. Diversity hires are painfully damaging to any business.

>but the characters' personalities and designs were miles above me1
Not really true. ME1 was way more believable and perfectly captured that old Star Trek feel they were going for. ME2 is more Marvel.

Obvious choice

Attached: ashley1.jpg (564x829, 72K)

>and perfectly captured that old Star Trek feel
Which is exactly his point. Old "science" fiction is too old for them. We're living in the age of pic related.

Attached: 1542098934563.webm (1280x720, 2.99M)

that's not how lasers work, wtf is this shit? why is Sam Fisher so fat?

>that's not how lasers work
"lmaoing@u're life grandpa" Ex. Dee. Le dumbing at eggheads.

That's some weird live action adaptation, right?

Attached: TPRmzhN.gif (460x311, 2.07M)

Bioware has never had good writing

And that's exactly what we wanted from it. It felt like watching a mass effect version of the expandables 2. It was glorious

>we
Speak for yourself

>we
I didn't ask for it but I also didn't pay for it

Absolutely based. The first season was so fun, the second alright and then it just divebombed.

Attached: bestgirl.jpg (1280x720, 376K)

I was speaking for the people who bought and liked Citadel

Hamburger Helper

>Reminder that there are faggot zoomers on Yea Forums that are now saying Mass Effect 3 was complete dogshit

>t. wasn't on Yea Forums when the entire board was shitting on the game, and where the majority of the game's script was leaked in 2010 where Yea Forums had originally shat on it

>so how bad is Mass Effect Andromeda

youtube.com/watch?v=HcY5Ya4pwBI

Attached: 7908679085760982.png (436x536, 143K)

>2010
Do you mean 2011? I don't remember any leaks in 2010.

Attached: 1558123263117.png (282x492, 328K)

I've looked it up. I think you're right in it being 2010. I had some vague notion of being annoyed that it was around the same year as ME2 while containing much of 'the Prothean' script and stuff about the Crucible. Not sure why i'd remembered it wrongly.

the facial animations and overall framing of conversations was abysmal, especially when compared to me2 which was probably the best game ever in this regard. all the illusive man ever does in ME2 is sit down, stand, walk and smoke, yet every single scene is thoroughly entertaining and visually engaging

I shamefully enjoyed the Human Engineer.

>overall framing of conversations
Did Bioware's thing where the conversation is just closeups of faces talking on screen start with ME3? I remember how much it pissed me off in DA:I and Andromeda, so lazy and ugly.

They've been doing that since KOTOR

iirc the guy at bioware who was responsible for directing all the talky scenes in mass effect 2 left inbetween me2 and me3

Raycevick on youtube has a great series covering these games, would recommend if you're interested in understanding what went wrong with me3

i want to fuck tali

Being on the same level as a very technically limited 2003 game isn't exactly a compliment knowing that even in ME1 they never had it so bad and ME2 has seen a lot more interesting angles in conversations, sometimes pretty cinematographic. Also, I don't remember KotOR having slowdowns in conversations, meanwhile Andromeda's fps shits itself rendering faces and hair up close.

>Raycevick
Oh yeah, I remember him, I love his "years later" videos.

Oh, yeah. It has something to do with "cinematography guy" quitting or getting fired and no one left knew what they were doing.

I keep thinking that maybe I'll play this, to satisfy the itch. I'm so glad video's like this exist to remind me why I havent.

Mass Effect 3 was near perfect. It only missed a skip gameplay button.

But the plot was also shit. As were the butchered conclusions to most character arcs or conflict resolutions. And the "skip everything" exists, it's just not a single button: Alt+F4.

well it already had a skip conversations button so you're like halfway there

YOU CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS

We all have our delusions.

Hello, is this the Asari Military Command?

Attached: spaceballspalm_an.webm (1280x720, 277K)

>that old Star Trek feel they were going for
The aliens and character designs were always the weaker part of Star Trek. Why do you think people always complain about all the aliens being just humans but with weird shit on their face?

That's fair, but this is never improved upon in any of the sequels.

I would say that ME2 actually tried (and succeded) in making your squad pop visually, or well, at least for the aliens and the Illusive Man. Mordin actually looks like a skinny alien nerd, Jack looks like the living embodiment of EDGE, Samara looks like she's above it all, etc. It made them unique, Thane looks like a 2000's assassin (and hey, props to his race for actually having an interesting backstory that's related to him as a character). if not from a writing standpoint, a visual one at least.

but even then who the fuck cares about Jacob or even Miranda?

I'm not following. I thought your complaint was that the aliens were too humanoid in appearance. All the characters you've just listed are either human or extremely humanoid.

>but even then who the fuck cares about Jacob or even Miranda?
Miranda I liked, visually of course, but also for the appeal of Yvonne Strahovski who is a very pretty lady and the fact that she is Evelyn Mulwray in space, but with some added backstory. Everything else you said, yeah.

Yes, they are, my point is that ME2 does the best it can in making them look unique. I don't expect them to suddenly retcon the salarians into being literal bugmen just to appease my autism, so making the characters' visual design fit their personality is all I can ask for, and it does do that well.
I mean what part of Liara's design make you think that she was interested in the protheans or that she was an archeologist? At most it looked like the usual rookie.

>or even Miranda?
It's a mystery

Attached: Does this make my bum look big?.jpg (1680x1050, 1.24M)

Andromeda was a PR guy before it was a PR nightmare.

If you just want colorful archetypes then your tastes are shit. ME1 didn't revolutionize anything with their characters of course, but I'd rather have more believable gray characters than faggy sparkly ones.

I mean besides that, there's nothing about her that makes you think that she's genetically engineered to be perfect, or that she's very confident, or... well, you get what I mean.

Attached: 1cb816ede3f32db1ea502897911d3189.jpg (600x812, 114K)

>wanting the visual design of a character to be in synchrony to their actual character is for poopyheads

you sure showed me

>>I'll have you know I've had a hard life, Shepard.
>Like seeing everyone you know, everyone you love massacred or enslaved in a Batarian raid as a teenager and later being stuck in a thresher-infested shithole, losing squad members one by one?

He was an EA shill and marketed EA and Origin shit aggressively.

Which design do you believe was not synchronized with the char's personality in me1? Because otherwise you just want colorful designs, and not accuracy per say.

Despite everything, I'd argue that Mass Effect 3's writing is at least tolerable (until the last 10 minutes, which is unforgivable). After that, Bioware's just a shell of its former glorious self, maybe even less.

There is everything wrong with hiring women. The problem you describe is downstream from the fact that women should be at home taking care of their children and maintaining their home.

More like being periodically sexually assaulted by your own father, presented as a concubine to various associates and being groomed as a piece of meat type of asset, with no respect to personal choice. Sure, you didn't survive an utter horror, like Colonist Sole Survivor, but that doesn't make Miranda's upbringing easy.

Again, what made you look at Liara in ME1 and think "Oh she's an archeologist and really interested in the protheans, isn't she?"
Don't get me wrong, it's decent and it works for the game, but they aren't on par to ME2.

I get it, but she keeps being emo about it despite having someone who should put things in perspective a bit. So much for the supposedly amazing character writing in 2.
At least Mordin is truly great.

What obvious signs did Liara have in her design that she's an archaeologist in ME2?

Attached: 1554975566365.jpg (600x900, 137K)

youtube.com/watch?v=BQXbbWVJ4sA

You mean for the five minutes she was in it? ME2 didn't introduce her character.

>I get it, but she keeps being emo about it despite having someone who should put things in perspective a bit
Are you referring to Oriana?

Ah, yes, "character backgrounds". We have dismissed that claim.

Just hopping in to say that I really liked Kasumi in ME2 , more than I can admit. Something about her heist and story just clicks with me.
And then I completely missed that stupid spam email that she sends in ME3.

Attached: 926B2009-D9FF-4474-A637-B87971A6676C.png (800x800, 484K)

I think you forget she was a companion for an entire DLC and she was involved in 3 quests before that as well.

>me2 only good game bioware has made since kotor and kotor 2 you are incorrect if i see a single (you)

Dragon Age Origins

Mass Effect was dog shit by the time Citadel came out

The only thing they could have done to make that DLC bearable was just say fuck it and write a bunch of goofy meme-tier shit. So that's what they did and it was probably the last enjoyable thing Bioware ever made.

Not good, but enjoyable enough for being total cartoon shlock.

youtube.com/watch?v=467pmIX-oZo

WHY WASN'T SHE A ROMANCE OPTION?

Attached: 1548512624288.png (1080x1920, 1.66M)

surprised no-one has posted the email yet

Disagree on genophage (at least in 1). It was a choice that unironically felt pretty important and not shoe-horned in. It wasn’t just an exercise in “genocide bad”, they gave you great reasons why you might not want to cure it. All of this was ruined in 3, however.

few of the original writers were left after ME3 was finished I assumed
the whole thing is just trashy fan fiction, it is just meant as fan service after all, nothing more
there's some funny moments but everyone's so out of character it's cartoonish

Attached: 1489978536515.png (1152x864, 681K)

literally just beefcake

>arbitrarily cut content
>good
jesus christ how times have changed

3 has too many human teammates. I would rather have Samara or Legion instead of Vega

N7 fury, teleport dodge, constant biotic explosions.
Volus vanguard with batarian melee gear, 3ft jew manlet punching the head off of a 7foot cyborg roman legionnary, just like my animes

her armor reminds me of me1 for some reason

No, as bad as 2 and 3 were, it was possible to stomach them. Citadel DLC is the worst thing I have ever seen Bioware make. It is equally bad in dialogue/writing as Andromeda but people defend it and continue to bash Andromeda because they are underage brainlets who see their favorite characters and are unable to see the horrid script through their voices and how it does not match the characters whatsoever. Citadel DLC is nothing short of a travesty. If Shakespeare were to be resurrected and saw this he would just kill himself again. It is that insultingly bad.

The ending is better written than most of 3 and certainly better than Citadel by a country fucking mile.

It's not good, but finally seeing it after all these years and hearing all this grief, it just proves the ignorance of the world to me. That people could possibly praise 2 and 3 but think the ending is the problem.

The gameplay was fine, its the dialogue and writing that are the problem you imbecile

1 was better

just keep dodging the question and pretend that the designs being shit in 1 also mean the ones in 2 are also shit, by all means

>characters personalities were better in 2

I challenge anyone who agrees with this sentiment, ANYONE, to tell me how Grunt is better than Wrex.

I'll wait.

>me2 individual character stories were good
lol

>every alien uses air quotes, English expressions, displays western cultural values
>aliens like hanar, elcor, etc only retain superficial speech patterns (Elcor emotional state, Hanar "this one") while the rest of their speech sounds like american humans

3 is fucking stupid on so many levels

>asian woman
>partner dies and his body is mutilated
>pines over the only black guy on board

It was never good to begin with user.

this

>How did shit get so bad? Where, how did Mass Effect and video games go so wrong? What actually happened? Why?
2 and Mac Walters
ME1 was unironically perfect.

Attached: 1426526827204.png (400x400, 147K)

after the revan book he wrote completely ruined the character for me im glad he left
but them he came back and shit on revan even more with SWTOR

I didn't dodge the question, I responded directly that you're a faggot. There's nothing outward about her design in ME2 that would tell you her job or anything like that, maybe other than the fact she's somewhat well payed.

Your taste is shit anyway, because all you want are stereotypes. The warrior must have a big sword and armor, the mage must have robes and a staff, the rogue must have a hood and daggers. That's basically how you look at it.

M4 part 2 is makes me cry sometimes

Attached: 1544287738156.jpg (500x460, 43K)

>this character from me1 with an already stablished look and personality is still shit in me2 so the things actually introduced in 2 are also shit too!
You can make a character look like the thing they're supposed to be without going full stereotype you fucking retard
Grunt was shit too, I didn't even remember he was in the game. He still looked cooler than Wrex in my opinion but I never really liked how Krogans looked in game. Their heads are way too big for their bodies, specially when they're supposed to be strong as shit.

Cinematography helps the Krogran look less stupid, which 1 did well with low angles and close ups to make them intimidating. In 2 and 3 the shots were from above and too far out too often, making them looks silly.

I like the use of colors and many designs in ME2, but none of the characters hold a candle to anyone in ME1 except maybe Legion and Thane.

>weird enemies climbing the wall and ceilings and shit
>weapons with insane ammunition and recoil characteristics
>grenades that are tiny discs that fly hundreds of meters
>vehicles unaffected by gravity or terrain
>lots of engagements at fairly long range
Mass effect 1 is an actual sci fi game with all the weirdness you would expect.
>hey guys the dudebros in our focus group said they like gears of War and Halo
>cool, let's strip out all the weird shit from the last game, give it normal grenades, reloading, recoil, give it a smooth cover shooting system, make it all fast and loud like any other high budget shit
And that's how you get IGN and normies everywhere to slurp it up. Yes ME2 was still good but it was certainly the beginning of the end of the franchise, and was the end of autistic and unique combat mechanics.

First you said that you liked how your squad in ME2 popped out visually. Then you said that what you really care about is them looking unique. Then you said that what you really cared about is for their personalities to match their looks.

I've already taken all of these arguments apart, but you keep jumping from one to another and starting all over again.
You're really tiresome.

You forgot
>lets replace all the cool alien and robot enemies with human soldiermen, i mean mercs

Are you implying that any of those are exclusive to each other? My main point is that ME2 did character designs well, certainly a lot better than ME1.

Yeah I can agree with that. While they look better and are entertaining to be around I don't think they are better characters than 1's. Still, Krogans looked bad in one two, you just had to talk to Wrex and notice just how small his body is when compared to his head.

Complaining about the Krogan design isnt really a 1 vs 2 vs 3 argument though.They have the same body shape throughout

I know, I'm saying they look bad in all of those.

Did they make em bigger in Andromeda? I never played it.

And my main point is that they didn't. More colorful and unique isn't better, btw.
ME1 didn't have scampy outfits like Miranda's or Samara's because they made no sense. Jack wouldn't have fit at all in ME1 due to the tone, and literally every other character is cliched and monotone. Oooooh I'm a secret thief assassin, I wear black and have hood. Ooooh I'm a jaded mercenary, I have scars and worn armor, etc.
None of them were "better". They were just designed for zoomer shits like you.
In other words, ME1 took itself more seriously whereas ME2 was way campier.

>More colorful and unique isn't better, btw.
Colors I get, but do you want your characters to intentionally look bland?

>ME1 didn't have scampy outfits like Miranda's or Samara's because they made no sense.
What did he mean by this?

Attached: Matriarch_Benezia_charbox.png (1920x2160, 2.4M)

I don't know I didnt play it either

It released on origin and not steam
only games on steam are possible to be good

I do not believe they looked bland, so your point is moot.
And Benezia was "seductive" as part of her character. Her slutty dress wasn't some battle suit, unlike Miranda's or Samara's, so there's no suspension of disbelief.

Blandness is fine in certain stories. You're a solider. Like 3 of your companions are soldiers. Sure they have back stories and personalities but they are just normalish people with normalish motivations. They wear the uniforms of their organizations, just like real soldiers. Jack is retarded and her writing and appearance could have been written by an angsty teenager. The chick is a super genetically perfect human with a catsuit costume and hooker boots. Super duper secret assassins in black and shit is even worse.

Starting in ME2 literally every character is a biotic god to the point where it became meaningless

this

>And Benezia was "seductive" as part of her character.
>it's ok when ME1 does it tho
you gonna have to refresh my memory because I can't recall a single thing about this part of her

>slutty dress
Samara's sure, maybe, but how's Miranda's suit slutty? It covers her whole body.

I don't think that's what fits ME though, or at least not ME2. The whole game is about getting the best of the best in the galaxy to form your crew and stop the big bad, so you should want them to stand out, at least for the most part.

keep in mind, I'm not defending 2's writing but their designs.

>how's Miranda's suit slutty? It covers her whole body.
my dude...

Guys like a decent story but women enjoy things like quirky character interactions.

without counting the camera shots, I mean, just her design

Explains womens garbage taste in entertainment

>you gonna have to refresh my memory because I can't recall a single thing about this part of her
She's literally a concubine and Saren's slut. She wears that outfit because she's a slut. What are you having a hard time understanding?
>Samara's sure, maybe, but how's Miranda's suit slutty? It covers her whole body.
You can't be this retarded.

She has skin tight hippo ass and camel toe larger than the grand canyon