Reminder that double jumping is lazy design. any platformer that has it is shit

reminder that double jumping is lazy design. any platformer that has it is shit.

Attached: double-jump.jpg (512x512, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuchinoko
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No, you're an idiot, that is all

Action platformer with a focus on combat? No, it opens up combat.

jumping is lazy design
zero A presses

this is a shit opinion on the worst board on 4channel, congratulations

what do you even mean by lazy design? double jumps allows a platformer to have more complexity and difficulty. sometimes I just have no idea what people on this board are on about

Attached: 1448245129917.png (325x281, 175K)

every game is better when it has double jump

What about ghosts and goblins?

a platformer without double jump is like being in prison

Attached: RHhwwSV.png (680x525, 106K)

>double jump is peak
wow we seperate the platforms and handholds a little further away
the level is now bigger!
and you faggots feel like you have more motion to play
hahaha win fucking win
this is why games like assassins creed rake in all the cash despite the climbing and jumping being basically an interactive cutscene that does it for you
gamers are fucking faggots today

it's really to hard for you op to navigate and press space button two times in a row? good riddance

well someone's never played celeste

take you pills

No it's necessary for 2D/platformer games. In 3D games like Halo for instance double jump would be lazy. The single use jump mechanics in Halo are more complex than your average platformer.

>fags who never played a mario game

Correct. It just makes platforming extremely shallow.

100% correct, footdiving off objects/Morph Ball jumps is better. I'd rather have a powerup where the character tosses out something like a bouncing ball or some prop to kick off of as a replacement to doublejump

yea, sunshine is the worst mario game ever made

Imagine how shitty mario would be if it had (that kind of) double jumping.

>Yea Forumsermin unironically defend crutchjumping
literally removes all challenge and depth from platforming
it's the laziest way to make your movement seem "deeper" without actually doing something interesting

Correct. Mario vs. Donkey Kong style platforming is king.

Nigger what? It removes all complexity and difficulty. You essentially ignore all platforming if you can double jump.

I've played almost every single Mario; there hasn't been a single creative 2D mario since SMW. Not saying all these mario games are bad, but the past 10+ years of 2D mario is the definition of "lazy design"

>It's fun, so it's bad!
Cringe

No, you design your game around the fact that you have a double jump.
Retard.

OP is samefagging hard ITT.

bing bing wahoo

Say that to Revenge of Shinobi and see what happens.

I haven't played one 3d platformer that successfully did that, outside of "lol now the platforms are spaced further apart"

You could just as easily say that you are.

Attached: 3.jpg (1912x1920, 394K)

>Having "gravity" in a videogame

Attached: 1552099313833.jpg (1024x711, 261K)

Platformers are all "bing bing wahoo," Mario is the biggest and least cringe to normal adults than any other.
Zoomers don't understand history, and as such, their memes don't really make sense.

I fucking hate double jumping after living through the xbox-ps2-gamecube era of shitty bland 3d platformers

That's true, but I'm not the one with the blatantly retarded opinion.

Yeah they should include triple jumping instead

Hollow knight

Reminder that having full A presses is lazy design. any platformer that has it is shit.

Reminder that sprinting is lazy design

And another "I'm just going to skip the entire level" jump.

Attached: 3.jpg (600x800, 76K)

All of the pro-DJ opinions rely on the assumed existence of some idealized game wherein the double jumping is actually used well and compliments the level design. This is not true for 90% of games with double jumping.

>3D platformer
Well maybe play good games instead retard

>Ghouls and Ghosts fast responsive game good action and platforming
>Super Ghouls and Ghosts sluggish slow pile of crap
Hmm I guess it adds up

>Hollow knight
>3D platformer

Attached: 1445702699373.png (576x432, 376K)

an a press is an a press, you can't say it's only a half

What's the alternative, a half A press? That just makes no sense.

Play DOOM.

an a press is only completed upon the release of the button, until then it's just an a hold.

no actual rebuttal I see.

It needs to be restricted somehow. Like how in Mario you need to jump, hit the ground, and jump again; or Super Metroid where the timing is fairly precise (although that's more than just 2 jumps). "Hit A to jump twice" is just dumb. Why even jump normally then? Why not have the second jump's height be the default at that point?

Attached: 0KMuaDd.png (488x767, 130K)

Rebuttal to what, your non-point hypothetical?

He's not the same poster as me. I just ignored your non-argument.

Navigation in 3D space without depth is still a hard concept to grasp for most people
The double jump is a reliable, understandable method of letting the player fix easy mistakes from not being used to roaming around in these spaces

Kingdom Hearts 2 has a pretty good double jump, especially because it leads into a faster glide.

>your non-point hypothetical?
As opposed to your non-point accusation.

Why even jump at all? Just have the character walk forward.

to the
>blatantly retarded opinion.

Attached: 337.png (600x743, 294K)

I'm not surprised you ignored my post because I was correct. How about next time you lay out your argument in the OP instead of trying to save face by samefagging.

That's a retarded reduction. Not being able to jump restricts you to one axis in 2d and two in 3d.

They hated OP because he told them the truth

Double jumps are actually one of the most fun video game mechanics. Now that i think about it, is there any record of double jumping being used in fiction before video games were a thing? And i don't mean just having a scene where it happens, i mean something explicitly stating that double jumps are a thing.

ITT people who can only think in regards to one game with a double jump that they liked argue with people who can only think in regards to one game with a double jump that they didn't like

The only games I can think of with double-jumping I really like are the Sly Cooper games, entirely because the second jump gives you only a half-jump more height but more horizontal distance. The second jump is a lot more for re-positioning or saving a botched first jump than making all the platforming horrifically stretched out.

if it's not a platforming puzzler and doesn't have an extreme focus on the platforming, there's no reason for it to have a lot of depth to the platforming. when you remove the need for that depth, double jump usually allows you to change your direction in the air or if you slightly misjudged something you can jump a second time to fix for it. it's just an arbitrary amount of extra control given to the player.
i have never seen a game with a huge emphasis on platforming have a double jump, however.

>powerup

What did he mean by this?

I just like games with fun movement. If a double jump adds to that movement in a way that's fun, I'm good.

The real question though is, is a glide the same thing as a double jump?
They both extend the distance of a jump.

formerly Chuck's

>not being a triple jump Chad master race
>not being able to air taunt between each jump for a total of six jumps in the air
lmao rekt

Attached: nero 78b5735de6f2847abe8b50d43c5128e9378114f5fc8cbe817553b4423773738a.jpg (2160x2160, 995K)

literally fucking KH2 did this and it's not even a platformer

Yes, however the same goes for 90% of all games with any sort of platforming. Single jump, double jump or whatever sort of air option - the platforming itself is shit and does not make the jumps challenging. They merely forcibly prompt you to use the extra jump options in the most banal way because the gap is wider (almost all 3D platformers with double jumps).

The real top tier jump options that are the most consistent at having challenging level design are grapple hooks (not the automated lock-on to fixed hook points, fuck that noise) and airdashes/longjumps.
Hooks require precision and timing to hit exactly where you need in order to get a good swing or to reel-in safely. Add in some springy tension to the grapple rope (like Umihara Kawase) and nothing compares.
Airdashes and Longjumps typically don't give you extra height, just a lot more lateral distance, and they typically require you to commit to that jump as opposed to double jumps letting you back up and redirect. Both hooks and airdashes are more consistent in having a skill-based and more deliberate "thread the needle" style of action.

Attached: bionic.jpg (750x422, 21K)

starbound had grappling hooks so fun that it actually makes me angry since they're stuck in a shit game

it's an easy mechanic to reach a place farther away, I prefer explosion-propulsion

one day I will make a roller-skates/grappling-hook/air-dash game

Holy shit, are you me? I have always hated double jumping, ever since I saw it for the first time in Crash 3.

Double jumping is best in a game where combat is the focus and platforming is secondary to that (or part of the platforming).
However your statement is retarded because any argument that could be made against double jumping can also be made against airdashing

Attached: galbalan.webm (1280x720, 2.07M)

>dude look you can just ignore the attacks instead of precisely timing your jumps
wow

Or just having to reach a greater height in order to make the jump.

Jet Island.

>dude look you can ignore the attacks
yeah that's called dodging, which is the act of precisely timing your jumps. You're not the brightest, are you?

Hey knucklehead, don't be mad just because you can't handle a double jump.

Attached: Scout.png (1059x1082, 414K)

It is impossible to dodge that attack with single jumps unless you abandon the ice platforms, which means you're going to be stuck on the first phase until you get a favorable attack pattern where he doesn't follow up the ice attack with the energy beams. Double jumping in Felghana also lets you continue an aerial attack which is useful on many bosses, boosts the damage of your downthrust attack significantly which is extremely useful in large groups of enemies, it lets you continue aerial movement after using the wind magic to glide which is required for some platforming sections in the game, and most importantly it gives you extra options for avoiding attacks which opens up more complexity to combat in the game. After you get the double jump, every boss in some way requires it in order to beat them optimally in ways that just extending your jump height wouldn't allow for.

I like double-jumping in games like Metroid Prime where it's something you unlock that allows you to explore new areas and have an easier time traversing old areas.

However, they fucked this up in Metroid Prime 3 because that game started you off with double jump from the beginning, so every single area in the game was designed with the fact that you had double jump. Which then renders the entire point of double jump completely pointless, as they could've just not had double jumping and made the platforms lower/closer together.

It's similar to the issue I have with Mario Sunshine's water jetpack. More or less all it did was result in the platforms being farther away than if it were a normal mario platformer. So the net effect is it adds nothing except slowing down the pace as you jetpack across platforms slowly

That's not true, there's plenty other ways like ladders and lifts.

i think Wings of Vi did it nicely: you can jump once (or more when you unlock more jumps), in air or off the ground, but if you use up the jump you can't jump anymore. and so it opened up a new way of thinking about platforms. one of the challenges in the early game is recognising this system and using it to walk off a ledge and then jump on a platform below it

Because lode runner is so fun.

Rayman's ledge grab is so much more of a disgusting casual lure than any double jump could be. Imagine completely removing the need to actually be precise with jumps.

GnG didn't get double jump until the 3rd game in with the SNES, wasn't developed by Fujiwara. Double jumping was the least of it's problems. Fuck all the autoscrolling levels plaguing that game.

Attached: Daimakaimura.png (533x475, 510K)

Double jumping is based.
Controlling movement after a jump is cringe.

BUH... BRINGE?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuchinoko

lol

Okay, beat Mr. Skops without it.
In fact beat the whole game without it.

are you ok retard

I could if it had decent levels, instead of the garbage it's stuck with

Attached: 1551721116777.jpg (1080x1080, 139K)

Double jumping in platformers is like a fresh crispy french fry. It's immediately gratifying and delicious, but it will never be enough to satisfy your hunger. For that, you need the meat of a well designed platformer fine tuned for single jumps only.

>food analogies

>stand still
>jump
>can move left or right
instantly dropped

He was probably talking about games that aren't dogshit.

>Double Jump requires killing your enemies

Attached: 1563096781874m.jpg (1024x844, 52K)

>enjoying the game requires being a cubfur

Fucking based.

Modern gamers are literal dick sucking faggots that need their hand held with retarded "mechanics" that makes them feel special.

If a game has double jumping, it might as well just give you a participation trophy that reads, "I'm a no-skillz zoomer faggot."

Attached: Anime98.png (436x512, 244K)

Jumping is gay ass modern shit anyway, were there any jumping games on a real game platform like a programmable calculator?

plain jump. there's also shit like skiprope, or games where you have to jump obstacles that are approaching from the right hand side of the screen.

I like The Messenger's jump mechanic

what about ori, at least that one carried through to the logical conclusion of "perpetually be in the air by bouncing off of everything and always refilling your jumps". They designed less around jump and more around bash, but still felt good to me

This, jumping is a nigger activity, and double jumping is for double niggers.

Shut the fuck up faggot

Attached: destiny-bones-of-eao-5b6a1fc6.jpg (570x670, 65K)

You can't even name one (1) 3D platformer with enough difficulty to justify the existence of this thread regardless of jumping mechanics

But I can. Pitfall 3D Beyond the Jungle

Double jumping is cool though.

Came here to post this, the way the different combinations of your abilities allowed you to accomplish what you needed for a specific situation (more height, more distance, more airtime) was great.

Attached: f7300ccad0575bc19d9c8ee76acd5e82.jpg (720x303, 27K)

>3D platformer
all of those are shit anyway. 2d is where it's at