Thoughts of Final Fantasy Type-0? I'm currently playing it. I really like it. Why doesn't it get talked about more...

Thoughts of Final Fantasy Type-0? I'm currently playing it. I really like it. Why doesn't it get talked about more? I just started Chapter 3 and I'm addicted to it. I'm having more fun playing this then I did with Final Fantasy XV.

Attached: FF Type 0 HD.jpg (616x353, 37K)

they didnt want people to like it or they would have translated the multiplayer

its the best game on the psp

Basically the story of this game is that FF, at the time, was going trough a really hard patch (if we're talking mainline and not the MMORPG, arguably it still is).

So when this game was still obscure, it developed an incredibly strong core group of fans that literally hyped it as the second coming of final fantasy jesus and THE game that would bring the franchise back on track, the holy grail for everyone that was tired of the direction FF was taking up until that point.

...but once it got translated and ported and a much wider audience actually tried it things got...heated.
People didn't get the masterpiece they were expecting.
They got a niche game that isn't for everyone, that plays weird, and has a strange structure compared to any other FF game.
It's interesting in many ways, but not the game that was built to resurrect and redeem FF as a series.
So people got pissed, HARD.
They felt baited by both the (previous) niche darling reputation, and the incredibly strong initial presentation and sequence that throws you into a world that seems interesting, violent and dark, a stark contrast to FF titles of the period.
But then as they played more all the little quirks added up and they started hating it, because they were incompatible with it.

tl;dr: this game is a victim of it's own fanbase that hyped it too much and everyone else kneejerked after playing it and now it's hated

Attached: 346.jpg (1280x720, 223K)

Yea Forums really hated this when it first came out. I figure people would rather talk about games they like.

>Yea Forums really hated this when it first came out.
Correction: Yea Forums had a strong fanbase that loved this game, until it was playable to a wider audience.
When other parts of Yea Forums played it, they fucking hated it.

didn't everybody beg Square to port this game? Doesn't it play exactly the same from the PSP? If it's a 1:1 port then why did it get circlejerked on the PSP and hated on the HD port?

Attached: 1511580044458.jpg (270x447, 18K)

It's the last good FF game.

I think the HD port is missing some things, but the core of what happened is this:

-Game has strong, but small niche fanbase
-They make the game a loved cult FF title that isn't being appreciated enough
-Reputation of Type-0 rises as "it's FF but it's good again i swear"
-Reputation spirals out of control
-Game is ported
-The general audience tries it
-They fucking hate it because it's weird
-Game gets shat on and cult following fanbase made fun of until they are made to feel ashamed of liking the game at all

>Thoughts of Final Fantasy Type-0?
A HUGE positive surprise.
Perhaps my absolute favorite FF game to date, and I don't say such things lightly. It just might've de-throned FF9 even.

>Why doesn't it get talked about more?
Because most people don't know it existed. It started as a JAP-exclusive PSP game.

Because import fags always hype up shit that they play as being amazing.

Claim your waifu

Attached: queen type 0.png (575x1160, 417K)

It WAS, for a handheld game at the time. The HD port is just a handheld game stretched on a bigger console that still played(and looked) like a handheld game.

>Doesn't it play exactly the same from the PSP?
Pretty much yes, except small things like online-coop being replaced with offline auto grinding.

>If it's a 1:1 port then why did it get circlejerked on the PSP and hated on the HD port?
This is partly speculation, partly my own experiences, but the PSP version unironically looks "better".
The HD port updates the main-characters' models to use the FMV ones, but that's it. Under the hood it's still clearly a PSP game, no matter the filtered textures, overuse of SS-reflections, and the weird new, blu-ish tinted lighting w/ bloom effects.
This all contrasts starkly against the OG games red-themes and grim war scenery.

Besides "muh graphix!", I believe that the ease of availability the PS4 and PC ports brought also twisted people's expectations.
On the PSP, it is easy to understand the mission-based structure and the small milestones you work towards to, where as on home-consoles and computers folks seem to want fluently flowing epochs. Slow burn games apparently are not too hot amongst zoomers anymore, as the general audience does in fact prefer the more zeroed and guided rides akin to FF13 and 15.

But T-0 does not deliver such experience; you got a dozen characters you need to take care of individually, dozens of side quests and other side content you simply cannot do on a single playthrough, followed by plenty of story content that's literally NG+ exclusive. Thus, seeing the modern generation's desire for easy, instant gratification, together with their bizarre loathing of replaying games, Type 0 ends up ticking many boxes on their negative side.

Attached: T0 PSP vs PS4.jpg (1920x2152, 623K)

just for comparisons sake, this is how it'd look with PPSSPP with higher rendering resolution.
That green light beam in the distance is meant to work as a landmark you move towards to, but in the HD port, you literally cannot even see it.

Attached: OTFUL3D.jpg (1920x1080, 171K)

So tl;dr, people are mad they have to work for the good stuff.

In short, yeah.
It is why we still see constant "WTF I hafta play the game AGAIN??" threads when talking about Nier Automata, or kids praising the fact that there is no replay value in modern horror games.

Also, some people clearly seem to think that the first 5 minutes would accurately represent the entire game's experience.

Isn't it canon to the stories of final fantasy 5, 1,2 and dissidia?
maybe even more because of Gilglamesh' void shenanigans

Why does the game want me to keep up and manage 14 different party members? That's fucking ridiculous

Attached: 1555039239132.jpg (236x214, 7K)

It was mostly due to the fact that it wasn't on the Vita and was also put on the Xbox which didn't make the game look any better because the game still looked like a handheld game. The only HD about the game was the characters you play as, everyone and thing else looked like crap in comparison. The HD game was literally made to be a Vita port.

Love it. All the playable characters are likeable and the gameplay is amazing. It pains me knowing type 0 2 never is actually never ever.

>Also, some people clearly seem to think that the first 5 minutes would accurately represent the entire game's experience.
Well to be fair, this is by far the best first 5 minutes of any FF game. Hardcore and brutal as fuck

Attached: ff type 0 chocobo bloody.jpg (1920x1080, 191K)

It's pretty good, but max ranking the missions are a pain in the ass for my shit skills. Also, fairly annoying to squeeze the entire story out of it.

>Isn't it canon to the stories of final fantasy 5, 1,2 and dissidia?
A bit far stretched. I think it is just one big hotpot of FF series' history and tropes. A love-letter to old fans.

Why is it an issue now? You had to take care of like a dozen different characters in old games too.
Not to mention it's not too bad at all. Just find the character that you dig the most, make him/her the "main character" you main 24/7, and then cycle through rest of the party members whenever your move out. Also exploit the offline training + EXP Eggs whenever you can.

Attached: fftype0hd_2017_04_24_23_21_54_959.jpg (1920x1200, 393K)

>type 0 2
it's Type-NEXT, but yeah... not fair.

Attached: Next.jpg (1280x720, 139K)

Type 0 and World of Final Fantasy are both so severely underrated. Both way better than any mainline FF game since X

Attached: world of final fantasy maxima.jpg (300x168, 23K)

>didn't everybody beg Square to port this game?
Not quite. A bunch of Vitafags made a petition and begged square to bring over the PSP version for over a year then they announced the HD version on every current gen platform but Vita and they had a meltdown.
An english PSP version was being worked on right after it came out on PSP in Japan but they stopped midway into the english voice acting because PSP software sales had collapsed in the west due to piracy and they didn't think they'd make money on it.

I do quite agree.
I expected WoFF to be a cheap cash-grab not-KH clone, but was positively surprised of how much effort and soul was put into its production.

Attached: 1553497548375.jpg (1916x1054, 320K)

This worthless support character is doing SUPER TEDIOUS
S P P GRIND

and basically,
Type-Next literally never.

Click Here to Summon Bahamut Type-0

Attached: 20190812054304_1.jpg (1920x1080, 435K)

More of this? I really loved reading that. This is the kind of fun, charm and SOUL Final Fantasy has been missing

I'm claiming the honky tonky sensei

Attached: 1560951609400.png (553x878, 403K)

It is an amazing PSP game and a mediocre PS4 game. I had fun with it.

So it’s a good handheld game but a meh console/PC game?

Attached: 8744929E-550E-42B5-80DD-BB1490EC8A2C.jpg (502x1051, 50K)

MUH FULLY ERECT PENIS

INDIVIDUALLY MODELED PANTIES

she's way out of your league, m8

Attached: fftype0hd_2017_03_23_20_06_36_916.jpg (1920x1200, 394K)

It's like saying "it's a good PS2 game but a bad PS4 game". If you actually understand why it had to be technically limited, it's just as easy to enjoy it on any platform.
It doesn't have any "on and off" parts fit only for something portable, and it doesn't have any particularly archaic design choices that would bring it down today. The remaster doesn't, at least.

it is. PS4 unironically looks like shit and I feel like the music got downgraded missing some instruments.

I consider it to be a great game all around, but I for one still enjoy when games are being ACTUAL games, not some "cinematic kino experiences" that you could just as well Youtube through.

Attached: fftype0hd_2017_04_20_02_56_55_243.jpg (1920x1200, 503K)

only gamers played the psp version

normies played the ps4 version

I remember Yea Forums hating the game when it first came out
>not turn based? FF is dead
>fucking japs and the school setting shit, why can't it be cool like the MANIME I like
>eww disgusting how dare they model panties, I'm not a pervert
>fuck square I hand handheld games
>boring gameplay (not elaborated on)
And then the remaster came out and I saw much of the same negativity. Maybe there was some period in between where Yea Forums liked it, I must have missed it.

That makes no sense, some of the best games of all time are ps2 games or even earlier. If you've never played them before and play them in 2019 you'd get a better experience than playing a ps4 game with no "adjustment for technical limitations" required.

That was pretty much the point.

Then I just don't get it
>If you actually understand why it had to be technically limited, it's just as easy to enjoy it on any platform.
Why do you need to understand this in order to enjoy it? A good game is a good game. I could play a 25 year old game thinking it was released yesterday and it won't change my experience.

Story is too weird and get presented like a mess.
I like the war strategy aspect though. Wish they could expanded it further.

Because Yea Forums decided it hates Tabata for some retarded reason.

The story was damn great and intriguing if you ask me. Seldom does any media make the actual politics surrounding the wars actually interesting, and there's a lot of curious mind games going on with the game's story themes.

OP here. So who is your team? Right now I seem to be using Ace, King and Queen/Rem the most. Is the girl with the mace suppose to be terrible or am I just not using here right ? Because I can’t fathom the thought of ever using her. She attacks so slowly and can’t hit flying enemies at all.

Attached: AA181EB6-9B95-4022-8E8A-6483EB3FD572.jpg (1500x1500, 290K)

They focused too much on Machina and Rem who I don't give a shit about
Machina got away with everything
Characters pop up left and right and disappear from the main story, a few have mention in secret cutscenes that you have to go out of your way to unlock, the rest don't even have that luxury (remember that uber powerful Byakko l'Cie? Neither is the game).
The "true" ending suddenly have everyone living in your anime school life and everything else become irrelevant.

Original: Sice/Seven/Rem, Cater/Cinque/Deuce as secondary.
Started HD as Sice/Seven/Cater and sometimes Rem so I can spam summons if I ever need to or feel like it.
>Is the girl with the mace suppose to be terrible or am I just not using here right?
She just doesn't function most of the time when you have to dodge constantly and hit short killsights. I don't know who thought that mace was a good idea.

King always as the main. He's just OP.
Used to have Queen on board often, but Deuce won me over soon after. I tend to go through support characters on a whim.

Yeah, Cinque is pretty shit. I guess there might be some rare uses for her, plus getting more skills expands the arsenal of all cast members.

Attached: FFType0-KingRender2.png (560x1530, 574K)

I thought it was okay when I played it, but I thought that it's story structure was kind of weird and I stopped playing it. I actually don't remember much of the story. Also, there's only 3 or so characters worth playing while everyone else plays like ass. Might pirate it on PC and try it from the start at some point.

Cinque is basically unplayable until when she unlocks more skills.

TOOT is ridiculously OP if you know what you're doing. I beat some lvl 75 dungeons with her, no matter that she was like 45 at the time.

Attached: fftype0hd_2017_04_04_02_31_19_793.jpg (1920x1200, 714K)

Okay so she is just terrible. I was testing the waters out with all the characters and playing as her frustrated me to no end . I can’t get the instakill because when it prompts she is so slow to attack and flying enemies kept fucking me up. They really dropped the ball with her. I thought the flute girl was going to be terrible too but she’s actually pretty good as a support party member. Kept giving the party nice buffs.

Attached: EFF13E21-3A86-464E-A3A0-01126A1B343A.jpg (475x358, 22K)

does type 0 hd have online coop

She becomes OP later on? I’ve been using her as a buffer

Deuce is perfectly fine even when you forget that she's fucking broken, because her forward input melee attack is pretty much instant.

The fags that overhyped it as the best FF since FFX/XII/whatever ruined the game for me.
I expected some great shit, and ended up with a nonsensical story, repetitive gameplay that gets stale pretty quickly, one dimensional cast, no towns, Machina.

Did they ever fix the fucking motion blur effect when you turn the camera? Because that made me want to kill myself.

Only partially on consoles. Still can't fully disable it. PC version can though iirc.

Why is Machina bad?

Yeah, it's good.

Attached: spin.webm (1280x720, 2.33M)

He's a huge faggot.

>So when this game was still obscure
Which it never really was. It's a top selling PSP game in Japan, it was a highly requested localization, and the English patch was widely and positively received.

Things can exist between obscure and mainstream, and that's where Type-0 was. Anyone who was already interested in the game, which was a lot of people, tried it and formed their own opinions (generally positive) when the English patch came out. When the HD version came out, the game became accessible to a wider audience and a lot of people went in expecting something completely different. Some people hated it, some people loved it, but the reception was still generally positive; the people who hate it just happen to often be more vocal, which skews perception, though it's extremely obvious which ones to ignore when they start their argument with "the story made no sense."

Sleep mode grinding was on PSP, too. The official localization is also leagues worse than the fan one, which doesn't help.
>The HD port updates the main-characters' models to use the FMV ones
On top of this, the PSP models were built around PSP limitations and have shading accounted for in the textures, making the HD models look like garbage because the CG studio handles lighting in production.

The HD version does have some positive changes, though. They buffed up the weaker characters a bit and implemented every item into the main game.

This looks like someone shopped a PS2 game(right) next to a PS4 game(left).

Attached: 1562641814209.jpg (377x329, 56K)

Only the PSP version has online. The HD versions removed it.

>The official localization is also leagues worse than the fan one, which doesn't help.
I don't even speak jap but they clearly fucked it so hard.
>朱の目録 translated nicely into Crimson Codex
>uhhh Rubicus
>消費MP0 means you can guess what, but that sounds boring, so let's "translate" it the same we translated that status from FFXV which instead was originally called just "Lucky"
>Freecast
>Set- Setus- CAETUNA
Shit. I can see how the fan translation isn't perfect either, but it's nowhere as bad.
Time to learn Japanese.

is Type-0 HD Square's laziest port? everyone outside the main cast looks like complete shit

Attached: download.jfif.jpg (1024x643, 144K)

Cinque is cute! CUTE!

Attached: cinque a cute.png (1525x1450, 893K)

>Jack to parry everything
>Ace for flying enemies
>Duece for buffs
best party

Attached: FFType0-JackRender2.png (910x1250, 646K)

The main cast too. They swapped the models, but the lighting fucking shits on them. I actually miss the PSP models.

Why every fanfic like shipping Ace x Deuce so much?

They bearly talk each other in the game

A bunch of people begged after the translation patch came out for a regular release, but then people actually played it after it did get a regular release and realized it really wasn't a good game in the slightest and requires well over 80 hours of investment just to understand what is going on in the story and even then the story isn't really explained. Mother is a perfect example of a character who doesn't really make much sense even after you read everything, she's basically God or something close to it and she's essentially experimenting using Class Agito as her guinea pigs.

>dude here are those cool summons you know and love
>oh by the way you can literally never use them if you ever want a good score

The in-game fanfic ships Ace and Mutsuki, and I'm pretty sure they don't interact at all.
Such an awful alt ending, honestly.

>though it's extremely obvious which ones to ignore when they start their argument with "the story made no sense."
Except the story does make sense until you reach roughly the point where the dragon girl dies, and then it goes all over the place. Even if you know about the loop with the characters the school getting attacked by unkillable monsters and the entire final boss isn't really clear at all. The unkillable monsters are because when all crystals are obtained by one region all hell breaks loose, but that's about it in terms of things being explained clearly in the game, and the game does nothing to help explain a lot of things, particularly with Mother. They explain Mother's plan with the kids, but that's about as far as they go with her without you reading in between the lines.

>he doesn't know

Exploiting reraise with Rem will still count as a death and shit up the ranking.

Just kill yourself my man.

Attached: viper.png (760x109, 135K)

i-i knew that

Attached: 1497038745594.jpg (720x720, 91K)

>no one chose the scamming Haruhi Suzumiya
You DID support her valiant causes, didn't you?

Attached: fftype0hd_2017_04_02_00_30_16_432.jpg (1920x1200, 370K)

Because it's garbage. The edgy "muh kids are fighting a war and they die by the hundreds and no one even remembers them :(" concept can only take a game so far.

The kill sight system makes the combat tedious as fuck.
Story is half assed and ends abruptly.
The lore isn't fleshed out at all either.
The characters are absolute ass, not a single memorable personality either on the protagonist or on the antagonist side.
Have to level up characters individually, and you can only switch party members in certain places.
Obvious PSP hardware liimitations fuck the game hard as well.

It's just not good at all. The music is the single thing it has going for it.

crisis core is better, and so is war of the lions. this was pretty good though, i was quite surprised because FF has been shit as of the post XII era

I disagree on just about every single thing you just said.

Attached: fftype0hd_2017_04_06_22_12_45_082.jpg (1920x1200, 317K)

>unlock guns that INFLICT DEATH
>literal fucking Death Incarnate mode activated

Attached: fftype0hd_2017_04_06_17_40_06_928.jpg (1920x1200, 404K)

more like claim your favorite PANTSU

Attached: ff type 0 pantsu.jpg (2908x1080, 1.17M)

This game was so edgy that I lost interest.

I hate JRPGs but this actually looks interesting.
Is there like an English patch for the PSP version?
I have a modded Vita

>crisis core

dumb ff7 fanfiction with slots need not apply

trash game that get memed by tabata fanboys

I didn't even know who the fuck Tabatha was before long after playing the game. Your argument is moot.

>Is there like an English patch for the PSP version?
yes, but I don't know if it works outside of PPSSPP.

Attached: 1403941908050.png (1920x1080, 2.42M)

>crisis core is better
I don't even like type-0 that much but it certainly plays better than that shit heap.

Worst game I've ever played.

>pic
PSP has soul.

Not only does it work outside PPSSPP, it works on a fucking vita. The sleepmode training too.
I don't see why it wouldn't, if anything it would not work in PPSSPP if it was a plugin.

Yes it works, just grab a pre-patched .iso

eats battery like a motherfucker on Vita just like it does on PSP though.

It does, that's how I played it

>I'm having more fun playing this then I did with Final Fantasy XV.
Wow, so hard!

7 is the best girl followed by Queen. Give 7 Back her cape
Jack and Eight are best boys and by far the most fun to play

if you ask me, T-0 is the true FF15 and 13, both in one. It is also the last remaining member of the now dead and buried FNC saga.

Attached: fnc.png (900x563, 558K)

What do you mean? XIII+2+LR are still FNC, and it's arguable which one is deader.

>XIII+2+LR are still FNC
That's only arguable. They all still do possess elements of the FNC saga (even FF15), even make some of the T-0's stuff easier to understand (ie. the whole Etro biz), but I doubt that the FF13 trilogy as it is now quite reflects the original plans.

Them skirts make me feel funny

Attached: REM.png (840x1254, 569K)

based

cute tummies!

Attached: fftype0hd_2017_04_05_01_06_32_595.jpg (1920x1200, 446K)

It's actually good. Shame about the grind, otherwise I would have probably played through it

best girl

Attached: FFAgito_Cater_Close-up.png (605x708, 505K)

I liked it until the game pulled a drakengard all of a sudden and it stopped making sense

One of my favorite Final Fantasy games, and maybe just games of all time. It is crimincally underrated for the follwing reasons:
1. It came out on the PSP (nobody owned a PSP outside of Japan)
2. It's re-release that came out on the PS4 mostly just used the PSP assets except for the main characters, creating a jarring and unpleasant look, which turned off a lot of people
Its world, its gameplay, its characters are all great though, and more people should give it a shot.

Attached: shimapan.png (1385x706, 1.1M)

>Shame about the grind
What grind? I did just OK by merely walking everywhere and fighting everything I faced. A quick round at the caves with EXP boosting items grants ya ton of experience too.
The story quest especially are piss easy for the most part.

...so up until the very end?
Or did you ignore the crazy shit earlier on?

It would also seem like many folks did not even try to play NG+ ?

Attached: 1320066819616.jpg (2878x1588, 196K)

Attached: 1320067816822.jpg (2878x1588, 197K)

Import fags hype everything as the second coming.

Made a bit of sense in the world of SNES, Saturn, N64 titles like Sin & Punishment, maybe PS2 to some extent, but the world has long moved on.

>Import fags hype everything as the second coming.
I completely missed that, but for once I do think they had a point. The HD port ended up being one of my favorite games this decade, and one of the most favorite FF games to boot.

I've been totally spoiled by the HD's smooth and soft pantsu.

Attached: fftype0hd_2017_04_02_21_42_19_603.jpg (1920x1200, 777K)

It was funner in the PSP version though because on the PSP the skirts flopped around all the time like a skirt naturally would, so you'd see their pantsu whenever they did any move or just jumping around etc. In the HD remake, they made it so their skirts are all stiff as a board, so you'd have to use camera gimmicks just to see them.

So is the FF Type franchise over with?

Tabata left, and SE never gave much shit about it, so yeah, almost certainly.

Best thing Type-0 ever did was porting its characters' hairstyles to FF14.

My god, a Type-0 thread on Yea Forums? Am I dreaming? Probably one of my favourite FF games, completed it 100% on Finis difficulty. I will still wait for Type-Next even if Tabata is gone.

good concept ruined by low budget tier production and weak as shit psp hardware. gameplay is shit. missions are shit, world map is shit.

I was too much of a brainlet for this game. There was a lot psychedlic shit going on in the story and I had no idea what was real or fake anymore.

So is this game good or not wtf

The wikia explains a lot of stuff, New Game + is definitely recommended if you wish to understand more about the game though. It’s very interesting.

Sice, Eight and Jackwhen I just want to have fun. Solo Rem if I want to tryhard.

She's an AoE killing machine when unlock all her combos.

>It would also seem like many folks did not even try to play NG+ ?
Yes, despite the game more or less telling you that you've only played half the game many people choose to ignore NG+ and the codex, then complain that nothing made sense.