Open world

>Open world

Attached: nsfkvbh4kmr11.jpg (720x644, 42K)

I hope the open world meme ends one day. Sick of it.

Linear is superior of course besides a FEW exceptios

Attached: 45689867645664.jpg (1440x1440, 582K)

It was almost fucking dead, then BotW had to happen and now everyone has to ape that game.

>Survival

Attached: 1518947269161.png (469x452, 277K)

based and redpilled

>open world
>some sections of the world are blocked off for later parts of the story

Attached: wvv561t6ceyy.jpg (2048x1546, 187K)

>Crafting

Attached: Pepe Bada Bing Bada Boom.jpg (418x405, 13K)

>30+ hour campaign

That’s a no from me dog

>game tries to be political
>it ends up being judicial

Attached: 1555374089148.png (608x540, 331K)

What’s so special about this image?

>closed world

Attached: 1472868743459.jpg (236x236, 12K)

It's not even about linear vs non-linear, my man. It's about scale. Open world games are too fucking big and padded up the asshole. It's boring as fuck.

You can have good non-linear non-open world games. Just look at a bunch of the more popular Metroid-likes like Hollow Knight, for example..

>NOOOOOOO STOP GIVING ME CHOICES AND UNSCRIPTED GAMEPLAY I HATE THIS

Are there any games like Minecraft where the world just goes on and on forever the further you venture?

Nah. Even if Bore of the Wild hadn't come out, CDPR was still corrupted by the open world meme. First The Witcher 3, now Cyberpunk 2077. They no longer make good games now.

90% of them have fast travel for all the ADHD kids so I'm not sure where you're going with that.

>I WANT TO ROAM LARGE EMPTY SHIT THAT HURTS THE NARRATIVE
Huh

terraria, starbound, no man's sky, elite:dangerous

>HURTS THE NARRATIVE
what?

Elder Scrolls Arena. That game might be 3 decades old at this point. It's shit btw.

>what
Witcher 3

I've been playing Daggerfall Unity last few days and I've come to the conclusion that huge mostly empty lands actually add to the game immensely, you get a sense of being just 1 tiny spec of sand in a vast desert.

>choices
Pretty much only BotW is like that. All the other open garbage games are basically: "here it's a list of all the useless busywork you can do, whenever you want to keep going with the extremely linear progression system. then go to this specific point".

>We made a gigantic map that is not fun to explore because it has very low content density and is either empty or filled with copy-pasted encounters
>BUT YOU CAN JUST SKIP ALL OF IT, IF YOU WANT
That's just a shitty bandaid that tries to hide the problem in a half-assed way. It doesn't actually solve it.

Attached: 400.jpg (536x400, 78K)

>world is littered with shitty side content that i have to go out of my way to do and ruins my immersion
>end up feeling shame and regret because i didn't actually complete the game

Attached: 1524643886052.png (350x420, 15K)

I bet border collies give sheep a lot of narrative and immersion too.

BotW didn't invent that. Bethesda games are like 90% side quests and no one does the main quests.

>HURTS THE NARRATIVE
Kill all storyniggers

cringe

Open world games are a good concept, the issue is that they require a lot of time, resources and effort to make them good and most studios would be better off giving their game a smaller world.

There has yet to be a game released that was in development AFTER BotW released. The "open world meme" took off because of Skyrims success in Japan, which is why it's been applied to franchises like Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Dynasty Warriors, etc.

This is why I don't understand why people praise the Xenoblade series

It did because you have multiple ways to reach the ending, not only one.

A few years ago, I thought we were finally gonna steer away from this meme, but then CDPR and Nintendo and even Square Enix fell for it, so there's at least another decade of this shit.