Fuck movie games

Why the fuck are movie games so popular nowaday? I mean I remember how as a kid I loved rpgs but normies around me couldn't get into them because they had "too much dialogue and story". Yet somehow these days everyone plays "games" which are basically just that for the most part. Yet unlike these old rpgs they have less interactivity in the cutscenes and often worse gameplay in general.

Can someone explain this to me?

Attached: RDR2_Outlaws_For_Life.jpg (670x377, 85K)

You're probably having a real hard time understanding because you think fucking RDR2 is a ""movie game"".

Isnt red dead 2 an open world

>Can someone explain this to me?
It's very simple. Imagine how stupid the average person is and then look up the sales numbers for RDR2 or GTAV or how many plays fortnite. The average person is a retard and ONLY plays games their friends recommends or because of ads

I don't think it's one, it is one.

Semi. It's open-world but the moment you start a mission the story becomes delived purely through cutscenes and dialogue. Then you're lock into that mission with a set linear path until you finish it. Moving slighly away from the set up path will trigger a fail state at this point.

You literally have never played a minute of RDR2

It's not. It's less of a movie game than MGS. What a shitty thread.

>Can someone explain this completely obvious thing to me?
Uh...different people have different tastes. I like game. Be mad I guess.

>Everything I don't like is a "movie"
Seethe more you fucking loser

Attached: 1563226074293.jpg (882x863, 235K)

Literally nothing you said is remotely true.

I've literally just done the mission with the veteran who's horse has taken away his leg and you had to get it back.

I'm not even saying movies games like RDR 2 are bad. I'm just mad at the hypocracy, not that these games are popular.

>clickbait
Ok

Play the game first.

He's 100% right. Riding from one place to another to trigger a cutscene or walking and listening to characters blather about shit does not constitute gameplay.

im playing uncharted 4 for the first time and its good but i have to take breaks bc i cant watch 30 mins of cutscenes for 20 mins of gameplay

Another thread by 'bing-bing whahoo'
Nintendo shouldn't be discussed on this board but on >>>/toy.

I wasn't talking about japanese rpgs in the OP.

I got a PS4 just a few weeks ago having last played consoles since God of War 3 came out on PS3.

The games suck. At least all the ones I didn't already play on PC like MGS5 and Witcher 3.

Nioh is ugly as hell. Final Fantasy XV is shallow and dated as fuck. The Last Guardian is a boring tech demo.

What am I missing? Where are the good games this gen? I'm half inclined to sell my PS4 after a week of owning it.

bloodborne

Play Bloodborne, Gravity Rush and the SotC remake. Then you can sell it.

What a piece of shit. Fuck that was a waste of money.

>SotC remake
One of the best current gen games is a remake of a game I played nearly two decades ago?
Fuck

It's great, but there are current gen games that are better.

The best games were always on PC, so it's not like anything has changed.

I'm more than an average gamer (Have played Dark souls series and Bloodborne) and i play fortnite and Red Dead

cringe

Movie game is probably the single most meaningless buzzword that gets regurgitated here

What the fuck is that even supposed to mean? Do you mean games with lots of cutscenes? Because there are games with cutscenes that get praised here, like MGS, Yakuza, Bayonetta, and so on while there are games with relatively short cutscenes, like Last of Us or Uncharted, that get criticized for being movies, or games with a low cutscene-to-gameplay ration, like RDR, that also get criticized as being movies

The damage control response to this is probably going to be "yeah but those games that you mentioned have a lot of walking in them!". Well guess what, there are games like Morrowind, Dragon's Dogma, Shadow of the Colossus, Ocarina of Time and so on that have long stretches of walking, and those get praised here too. What about games that are focused on exploration, like Myst, or just adventure games in general? What about any game with open world elements to them, like BoTW or Mario Odyssey?

Then the next damage control response is going to be "yeah but those walking sequences are non-interactive!" So we're saying "non-interactive" = movie game now? What about all of the JRPGs where you sit down through walls and walls of text and dialogue (such as Persona, the Tales series, Xenogears, Final Fantasy in general, etc) that effectively serve as in-game cutscenes that take away any and all control? What about turn-based combat in general, you order your characters around but you technically have no control over their movements, are you playing a half-movie half-game hybrid? And realistically what difference does this make from games with a shitton of cutscenes anyways?

Where does a game like Gone Home fall into all of this? You technically control all of your walking but are you seriously going to claim it's more of a game than the Last of Us because of that?

Movie game doesn't fucking mean anything. It's a buzzword.

ITT: Cock gobbler known as OP can't cope with the fact that he has shit taste in vidya.

>when I was a kid people didnt like what I like
>now something that I dont like is popular
>and its worse than what I used to like
Congratulations. That's three strikes on the "I'm an idiot" scale

>What the fuck is that even supposed to mean? Do you mean games with lots of cutscenes? Because there are games with cutscenes that get praised here, like MGS, Yakuza, Bayonetta, and so on while there are games with relatively short cutscenes, like Last of Us or Uncharted, that get criticized for being movies, or games with a low cutscene-to-gameplay ration, like RDR, that also get criticized as being movies
Yes, all of those are movie games. Though they do have at least some emphasis and thought put into the gameplay. Also, none of them are as popular.

Movie game is when the narrative in the game is delivered mostly through cutscenes that are mostly non-interactive or the interactivity is sparse/doesn't really influence the story.
>Morrowind, Dragon's Dogma, Shadow of the Colossus, Ocarina of Time
Those games have practically no cutscenes compared to the above mentioned games. In Morrowind you get to choose which dialogues you want and you can leave the conversation 95% of the time. Ocarina has quite a bit of cutscenes at the beginning, but that's just the first hour or so.
>Then the next damage control response is going to be "yeah but those walking sequences are non-interactive!" So we're saying "non-interactive" = movie game now? What about all of the JRPGs where you sit down through walls and walls of text and dialogue (such as Persona, the Tales series, Xenogears, Final Fantasy in general, etc) that effectively serve as in-game cutscenes that take away any and all control? What about turn-based combat in general, you order your characters around but you technically have no control over their movements, are you playing a half-movie half-game hybrid? And realistically what difference does this make from games with a shitton of cutscenes anyways?
JRPGs for the most part isn't any better. The rest of what you wrote is retarded. Turn based combat is gameplay. Strategy games aren't movie games.

If shit taste mean = pointing out hypocracy then sure.

normie consumers want more cutting edge presentation. it's a shame because this philosophy is clearly reducing the output of game releases considerably.

it's hippocracy, for hippocratic oath