I just finished Mass Effect. What did Yea Forums think of it?

I just finished Mass Effect. What did Yea Forums think of it?

Attached: mass-effect.jpg (960x960, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/104
twitter.com/AnonBabble

its a classic

Also why does the ps3 say it will take 800 minutes to download Mass Effect 2 when a similarly sized games takes ten minutes to download on the ps4?

Why do you need our opinion? Just make your own.

Attached: tyresegibsonb1.jpg (1080x608, 137K)

I liked it. It has that feeling that's missing from the sequels. That comfy feeling of a classy space opera.

Pretty good. I've beaten it 4 times, three times paragon and once renegade. What do you wanna talk about OP? Are you gonna play me2 and me3?

It was good for it's time, aged like shit

Which were the nicest places to go to?

For me it was the moon. Popping over the ridge and seeing Earth was nice.

I never understood what "aging" meant. It runs on modern systems just fine.

it looks unappealing these days and the gameplay is archaic as fuck

>looks unappealing
The aesthetics are great though.

I liked it at the time, but in retrospect it's very bog-standard mechanically, very simple with inventory and RPG mechanics, it goes really cheap with the Unity-tier Mako maps. Characters are underwritten, quests are sparse and very basic in design. SFX is bad, it still has that Bioware automated animation for conversations, so on and so forth.

The one thing it did well was knowing when to shut the fuck up and just drop you in these giant levels of long-dead and long-ruined civilizations.

That's probably where the sequels really lost me. Sure, the combat got nicer production values and they got their money's worth out of those fucking Unreal Engine shaders, it may have lost the Mako and any shred of complexity an already simple game had, but it just explained too fucking much.

Attached: mass effect 1.png (830x467, 526K)

ME1 has that one time when the colonists are mind-controlled and you can either shoot your way through them or use a limited supply of stun grenades to try and get past them without casualties. I think that kind of choice where your Paragon/Renegade decisions is actually implemented through gameplay is really cool and they never did anything like it in any of the other games.
Or even in ME1 for that matter.

Nice game, writing a bit sterile, planetary/lunar exploration should've been expanded, not removed, it was a great concept.

>it looks unappealing these days
There's mods for that

It's boring, bland and generic as fuck. Why Zoomers like this piss poor excuse of sci-fi and rpg I'll never understand. The only positive I can think of is titty but most cùmbrains flaunt over the human girl painted blue with a weird haircut.

Attached: 1563983507820.png (609x460, 532K)

What is the best, modern scifi rpg?

Maybe Sci-fi and rpg simply isn't meant to be together user. I can name a plethora of really good sci-fi fps' but zero traditional rpg. You can say System Shock and Deus Ex are an rpg but that's really stretching it.

Attached: 1561758328767m.jpg (1024x684, 55K)

Noveria is the best for me, nice Spectre investigation segment

It's a Bioware game that came from the same old Bioware mold.

How is Deus Ex (assuming you mean the one from 2000) a stretch for being an RPG?

It's not a traditional rpg.

I hated the mako and regret grinding through the mako content.

Name a good RPG.

RPGs are tabletop games. No video game is a traditional RPG.

Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, Fallout's 1,2 and New Vegas.

Replaying them right now actually, only because I just found out there's a mod that fixes the ending for mass effect 3 to make it less shitty (so long as you do everything right). I'm still fucking salty about mass effect 3's rushed, half assed, bullshit of an ending. Hopefully the new one is as good as all the comments have said. I'm still only so salty because besides 3's ending I fucking loved all three games.

Although the day one dlc for mass effect 3 was also bullshit. Especially when people found out that the dlc files were already in the fucking game, which means they had it blocked unless you paid.

Maybe traditional is the wrong word. Both System Shock and Deus Ex play more like shooters than an rpg.

10/10 would have lesbian sex with a blue alien again

I liked it, my only really complaint is the combat is pretty stiff and the planetary rover stuff could've been more fleshed out. ME2 is also good and I genuinely don't understand why Yea Forums hates it so much. I never got around to playing 3 but is it any good? I know about the ending but I'm fine with that as long as the rest of the game is good.

>lesbian sex
>playing as a woman
Go dilate.

One of the best series ever!

Why do sci-fi fps' have more sci-fi stuff than Mass Effect? Half-Life had Xen with all the alien creatures and the Combine, Halo had the Covenant, the Forerunners and the Flood what the fuck did Mass Effect have? Everything looked like shit with nothing interesting.

Attached: 1562538430026m.jpg (1024x511, 40K)

have sex incel

I don't think you know what the sci in sci-fi stands for.

Science like the Resonance Cascade or the Halo Array or Stroggification. I don't know what stupid shit happens in Mass Effect because it was that boring and uninteresting.

My point was that what we call RPGs at this point in the context of video games is just a game that utilizes gameplay systems and storytelling techniques invented in tabletop RPGs. Deus Ex and System Shock both avail themselves to such techniques, and do so to great success.
Mass Effect is space opera, those are rarely high-concept pieces. Until recent decades, at least.

Mass Effect had mass effect, a phenomenon with a significantly more rigorous scientific basis than Resonance Cascade. Biotics, FTL travel and eezo are all tied to it.

>Resonance Cascade
Literal magic.
>Halo Array
Also literal magic. How the fuck do you kill everything EXCEPT the Flood? Makes no sense.
> I don't know what stupid shit happens in Mass Effect because I never actually played it
Oh okay.

>Mass Effect
This is a sci-fi concept in itself
By giving an object negative mass you change what C is.
Did you actually play the game?

Shame they never made sequels

>Halo Array
>literal magic
Actually no it disintigrates everything with a central nervous system. Not plants, not microbial life and not spore capsules which is the bedrock of the Flood lifeform.

>it disintigrates everything with a central nervous system
So it's magic, gotcha.

Not willingly since it was gifted to me by my girlfriend. Biggest fucking disappointment I had to slog through and pretend to like with her.

Wait, so they made superweapons to destroy a specific alien race, but those ended up being effective at destroying almost all life with a few exceptions, one of them being this alien race?

Attached: aoc.jpg (920x700, 112K)

only played 2 & 3. is it worth it playing 1? or are the systems less refined, and bogged down by stupid bullshit?

No, they made a weapon to kill everything else so the Flood would starve, because making a weapon to kill the Flood would be too smart.

No stupid they made a superweapon to kill off the parasitic alien lifeforms food and hosts which is anything with a central nervous system.
Low iq post here because the flood would still exist as microscophic spores so they were impossible to kill without destroying an entire planet rendering it uninhabitable.

1 is the best game, user
unless your a zoomer

Seeing the earth like that was definitely one of my highlights, I also really enjoyed arriving at the citadel and getting to spend a few hours just running around. 1 has by far the best citadel, with 3 a close second.

So not only is the superweapon magic but the Flood is also magic.
Amazing science fiction concepts there.

played it on PS3, and for some stupid reason they released 2 before 1 on it.

>It's not a traditional rpg.
Neither is Mass Effect. In fact, Mass Effect is even less of an rpg. In Deus Ex you have different play styles like stealth, shooting, melee, etc. whereas Mass Effect always plays like a third-person shooter.

Attached: 12388128123.jpg (201x201, 5K)

>473604081
You're retarded purpously misreading the context posting smoothbrained replies and not deserving of anymore (You)'s

What annoys me about Javik is that if he’d been a main non dlc character he could have been more fully integrated into the plot. Imagine how things would have changed with a full on prothean on your crew. As a result of him being dlc and not everybody having him, he was far less integral to the plot and all we ultimately got were a few lines of dialogue. I will admit his involvement in Thessia was pretty cool though.

How long ago did the Halo rings get fired before the first game user?

No, The Flood is more magic because it is able to resist the magic superweapon made specifically to destroy it. The superweapon does kill everyone else though.

user, seriously though. Halo doesn't explain shit, those things just work that way just because.

It has the best atmosphere and writing. It's also them trying things way outta their comfort zone and it shows. It's mishmash of things they couldn't make work but were practically forced to push out. Still works in the end.

Half-Life at least tells us which part of theoretical physics all the bullshit is happening because of.

>Maybe Sci-fi and rpg simply isn't meant to be together user.
The problem with Mass Effect is that it isn't really an rpg, it's just a third-person shooter (and a crappy one, at that) with superficial RPG elements.

What I found especially lame is that the rpg elements didn't even utilize the space opera setting, e.g. no skills related to piloting or deciphering alien language. They literally just copy-pasted lightside/darkside from their last game, kotor and renamed it paragon/renegade. And biotics are just force powers.

Attached: 19812821.jpg (600x600, 32K)

100,000 years ago and after the all-clear of Flood contamination was viewed the Forerunner Ark ships were sent across the galaxy re-seeding complex life back into the habital planets that were cataloged, all with neolithic level intelligence to properly rebuild civilization.

>, all with neolithic level intelligence to properly rebuild civilization.
Yeah that's totally realistic too.

>I just finished Mass Effect. What did Yea Forums think of it?

>too much class overlap, most classes played virtually the same
>character progression is entirely vertical, no such thing as different builds
>itemization is boring and uninteresting, each piece of gear has the same 3 basic stat affixes that give you a .1%~ increase in attack/defense/etc
>abundance of useless gear, giving you plenty of omni-gel to bypass the hacking/lockpicking mechanics, making their respective skills useless
>a whopping 4-fucking weapon types, all of which played the same, weapon mods did little to fix this
>every weapon is the same recolored fish gun until you get into late game where you also get recolored box guns
>clunky, sluggish movement
>generic cover-based shooting
>guns feel like wet-farts when firing
>useless squadmate AI
>unable to directly control squadmates like a normal squad-based RPG
>enemy AI's idea of tactics was to either turtle behind cover or directly run up to you and shoot you in the face
>side missions consisted of going to a barren, recolored planet and finding one of the same crate-filled copy-pasted bunkers you've seen on other planets
>free roam mako missions consisted of driving in a straight line across said barren planets until you got to said copy-pasted bunkers
>main mission mako segments consisted of driving along a linear path, stopping every 30 seconds to wipe out a group of harmless ground troops, or to chip away at geth armatures/rocket towers which fired comically slow-moving projectiles at you
>every squadmate is a boring cutout except for garrus and wrex
And its most sinful fuckup:
>gave us the dialogue wheel

There's probably a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting, as well, but it's been a while since I've played this pile of shit.

Attached: phoenix_armor.png (519x799, 314K)

When you're a tier 1 civilization that can create artificial stars and move entire star clusters around to make the night skies on your home planet look nicer yes it is.

very sci-fi of them to do so

The shooting gameplay was bad back in the day too. It was always about the story

Attached: Choose carefully.jpg (1920x1080, 162K)

Shit

What was up with the necks in this game?

New Vegas isn't a good RPG

Why are there still daily Mass Effect threads?

>planetary/lunar exploration should've been expanded
one (only?) thing andromeda did mostly right

I don't know. Maybe "withdrawal syndromes" is an appropriate term?

Attached: 1555185212256.jpg (431x604, 47K)

Way better than Trash effect.
Autistic Zoomers with no taste.

Never got that cutscene in 5 playthroughs. I guess it's because I'm a faithful kind of guy. Also, Ash is red-pilled as fuck. If you don't wife Ash, you're literally playing the game wrong.

What is Tali's accent called?

Attached: Drunk Tali.jpg (1161x763, 96K)

>Autistic Zoomers with no taste.
Let me guess, Oblivion is your favourite RPG?

Quarian?

No, in real life.

Sand nigger.

It's not a real accent. It's part made up by the voice actress and part made up by digital processing.

I would actually say the cover based shooting is worse than the standard as it feels unnecessarily clunky and like the studio had never done a shooter before.

>clearly eastern european
>sand nigger

Americans, I tell ya.

Attached: Tali.png (500x368, 255K)

you think "damn I'm glad I left that bitch on Virmire"

Name one thing Ash was wrong about

Being a woman in the military.

Attached: 1446666763911.jpg (1920x1080, 277K)

Look at that slut.
>long hair
>lip gloss
>eyeliner
She has business in the battlefield, only on a catwalk.

Ash

Attached: 1489342950875.png (596x1440, 1.14M)

100% doubt you had sex cuck

only the vignette effect annoys me

Attached: Mass Effect Screenshot 2019.08.08 - 20.25.37.83.png (1920x1080, 3.64M)

is that CA? I don't remember there being any last time I played

Attached: 1554497921437.jpg (561x1632, 176K)

Based

>I'll take 'what's in the options menu' for 2000, alex

>i don't like this game
>name a game you like
>"game"
>hahahaha you fucken retard "game" fucken sucks

Attached: aquafresh.jpg (400x400, 36K)

Only the film grain and motion blur are optional nigga

I'm not this "Yea Forums" you speak of, but I thought it had the airs of a masterpiece when it came to lore, plot, characters and dialogue. Atmosphere was absolutely amazing too. Gameplay was rather weak but I thought the sequel greatly improved on that.

Ok I guess you're right

Neither. Ashley is just annoying and Liara is just boring. Only worthwhile romance option in the series is Kelly and she fucks dogs so that says a lot about your other options.

If only they had made best girl romanceable.

Attached: Chakwas.png (1500x2160, 1.89M)

nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/104

Shit I'm retarted. I just pulled MEUITM and ALOT from the nexus and i missed this. Thanks

Attached: HitDBS.jpg (1280x545, 278K)

Microsoft published 1 and owned the license until EA bought it off them to sell the trilogy as a whole.

i love this game

Attached: Solcrum.webm (1920x1080, 2.58M)

Damn that ass is fiiiiiine

How can you tell? It's so dark...

>playing as femshep
I hope you're an actual women

The whole series is rancid pile of turd.
>gears-like covershit
>redundant RPG system
>boring abilities
>shitty gunplay
>retarded weapons restrictions for classes
>party members are same cookie-cutter whiny cunts with daddy issues as in any other Bioware game
>generic Star Trek tier setting with painted humans having one defining quirk for entire race instead of aliens
>story went nowhere
>le choices meme
>dialogue wheel
>blue and red answers in dialogues in a game that isn't Star Wars where black and white morality system defines the whole setting
>key locations are tiny
>80% of side content is boring grind of copypasted shit
>harem waifufaggotry for self-inserting incels
>faggots
>inventory management in ME1

Attached: 1287151005679-1.png (556x711, 819K)

i thought grunts model was really graphically impressive back in the day

Kind of weird how much better looking Krogan look in the OT versus Andromeda.

Andromeda is such a wasted effort, holy shit. Playing it right now and the only thing I can think about is how good it could've been with proper direction.

Attached: 1550694619202.jpg (1205x940, 971K)

Heart says stay true to my own species
P0n0s tells to tap exotic sexy blue alien poon.

What do?

>One of these two will fuck random marines after the prologue to mass effect 2
>the other will go on a rampage, killing all who stand in her path to recover you. She will bring down the greatest independent intelligence network as revenge for messing with you.
Choose wisely user

Attached: threesome.jpg (1478x807, 125K)

>One of these two will fuck random marines after the prologue to mass effect 2
W-what?

This week has blown up with Mass Effect threads, what's happening?
I don't mind it, just asking.

>boring
>bland
>generic as fuck
>zoomers
Spoken like a true zoomer.

Snowball effect or whatever you call it. Someone makes thread for whatever reason, people get exited about it, then they start making threads....

Attached: 1549496245693.webm (1280x720, 1.62M)

Is there a way to make Andromeda passable without causing myself brain damage first?

>I keep going back to that night before Ilos, our night.... I haven't let myself think about those memories for more than a year now.
What do you think she was doing during the year she wasn't letting herself think of you?
Why do you think she hooks up with Vega in Citadel if you dump her?

No. There's no way to fix the writing.

Attached: MEA - Teach male krogan not to rape.jpg (855x1200, 302K)

Watch shit tons of Marvel Capeshit, then play it.
As that's basically where the dialogue and villains came from.

>What do you think she was doing during the year she wasn't letting herself think of you?
I dunno.

>Why do you think she hooks up with Vega in Citadel if you dump her?
Why not?

Storygame garbage that is the perfect example of why gaming should fucking crash and burn. Gaming isn't about fucking story garbage with a small dose of shit gaming added on top.

>Vega Bull Jr.
BIGBEEF MCHUGE is still kickin' I see.

>Blasto 6: Partners in crime
This comes out in the opening days of the Reaper Invasion.
How does the Andromeda Initiative have a copy?

>Storygame garbage
Yeah all games should be Tekken.

Best description of ME1 ever posted here.

Finished it last year. It was desu still as good as I remembered it, but gameplay a little less so. The missions on the random planets weren't fun, just copy pasted locations so I think they were the worst part.
Hadn't played mass effect since 2010 so hearing all the music and seeing the locations again was quite something. Started in ME2 as well, just haven't continued it

Wait for Tali

Attached: 5d69545c586e1e2a782cbfeb1c6eae35.jpg (450x720, 43K)

It felt more like a film than like a game, gameplay was mostly redundant, mecahnics didn't play any role at all, It was as if i was watching a film and every certain time i turned my back on it and started playing a pretty bad rpg shooter to later return to the film.
The sci-fi film i liked pretty much, it's a well constructed argument that makes the 'cosmic horror' theme work pretty well.

A good set-up that doesn't pay off thanks to the next two games.

First post best post, also its one of bioware's last good games.

Nothing makes sense in ME:Andromeda. They've retconned a lot of shit to fit the writers' personal agenda.
They have left the Milky Way during the events of ME2 but somehow the Krogan society on Andromeda is more progressive (females everywhere, even the leader of the Krogan colony is female) and the effects of the genophage have been toned down while they were in cryo.

deeply flawed, equally great

Attached: tali dance 2.webm (1920x1080, 1.61M)

You do make some valid points

Dr. Saleon was an innocent man.