Why is Final Fantasy VII universally considered the gold standard of JRPGs?

Why is Final Fantasy VII universally considered the gold standard of JRPGs?

Attached: D3xvaJCWAAATo5-.jpg (768x1200, 299K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aIkYOR5kgxM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: classic.jpg (544x469, 145K)

It's literally not

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-09 pqMaP7k png (PNG Image, 830 × 972 pixels) - Scaled (75%).png (780x387, 123K)

FF6 BOYS ROLL UP

>FF6-kun at it again

The universe consists of more than just you and your mates.

>""""""critics""""""

Attached: hah.jpg (500x706, 141K)

My favorite RPG is actually Final Fantasy X, but sure continue Avatar fagging

No but its great anyways. There is no gold standard of JRPGs, they tend to be one step forward, one step backwards and iterations in a series usually take some good stuff, but try to reinvent the wheel in unnecessary ways.

Maybe Suikoden 2 would be up there though.

Was Panzer Dragoon Saga actually that good?

Take it to .

Attached: FinalMovieVII.png (418x596, 248K)

>My favorite RPG is actually one of the worst Final Fantasies

Congrats on having dogshit taste

>The Movie
>13 Hours

Yes but most people didn't play it because Sega is unbelievably retarded, but still not as Retarded as those faggots at Nintendo.

> Popular Bad
> Niche Good

Seething kike animal. I like how nobody even mentions Jews and you hooknosed foreskin eaters still need to act like victims.

This but unironically.

>terrible voice acting
>worst protagonist
>just a bunch of straight line corridors
>no overworld
>shit levelling system
>not a single memorable villain (seymour is a joke)

It's a shit game. And you're using the argument that I think popular=bad even though you're arguing FFVII isn't the best in the series, even though it is by far the most popular.

>Kaho never did Tifa jav with cosplay this good

COMEBACK MY SWEET QUEEN

Attached: burninginside.jpg (567x562, 23K)

>worst protagonist

Attached: Vaan.PNG.png (1915x1463, 2.39M)

SoulCalibur is fucking incredible, and i say this as a filthy Wii/Xbox 360 baby

Vaan is better than Tidus, because at least Vaan doesn't pretend to be the hero and interject himself into every scenario and conversation. Instead he and Penelo know they are on the sidelines of a much more epic story and are tagging along for the adventure, observing greater heroes like Balthier, Ashe, and Basch. The art of telling the story from the POV of the lowliest onlookers was a common theme of Kurosawa's films, you'd know that if you weren't a pleb. FFXII is an infinitely better game than FFX in every conceivable respect.

>incredibly better music youtube.com/watch?v=aIkYOR5kgxM
>better combat system
>better voice acting and dialogue
>villain (Vayne Solidor) is actually one of the best in video game history who's motives are noble and he wants to liberate humanity from slavery by morally apathetic gods

came out at the right time and had top tier waifus

Attached: tifa.webm (850x530, 2.9M)

I disagree. I think Vaan adds nothing to the story, and the game would have been better off just not having him at all. I believe he was added later in development as a narrative vessel through which plot could be explained to the audience.

To add, I feel like the music while indeed technically more impressive, feels wholly generic and lacks any sort of coherent theme or identity, save for a few key stand out pieces. FFX on the other hand has a very strong Pacific island undercurrent and Polynesian theme that reflects its oceanic setting.

I completely agree with you on voice acting and dialogue, though I will cut FFX a break for being Sqare's first foray into a fully voiced game.

I can't really challenge you on the combat I feel the games are just too different and distinct to be easily comparable. FFX feels like a continuation and refinement of the ATB system they pioneered in the genre whereas FFXII's gambit system is something completely different and unique. It being such a departure from previous titles did subject it to a lot of criticism at the time though I feel much of that was unearned.

Yeah, I'm gonna need some sauce right away.

Monitoring thread for sauce

Nostalgia. It's not the gold standard by a long shot these days but it was pretty god damn impressive back in the day. It's really fun overall, there's a lot of personality in the setting and characters(still one of the best villain spreads in the genre), the minigames are some of the best in the series, the soundtrack is pretty banging especially for the system limitations. Tifa has big tiddies. But there's been dozens of better raw gameplay RPGs released since then and I'm sure real Final Fantasy snobs can argue why many of the previous six were better. However FF7 is significantly better than many FFs that would follow it so it's still above average to this day, within its own series and within the genre overall.

Pretty sure it's redmoa

>redmoa
My boner thanks you, kind sir.

>I disagree. I think Vaan adds nothing to the story, and the game would have been better off just not having him at all. I believe he was added later in development as a narrative vessel through which plot could be explained to the audience.

He and Penelo are part of a Kurosawa tradition of telling a story through the eyes of lowly characters who tag along with the heroes. George Lucas kind of implemented it in the first Star Wars, where C3PO and R2D2 were kind of like this early on in the film. Vaan and Penelo aren't the heroes of the story, they are just two orphans who tag along. They are meant to represent the audience, we are just tagging along observing much greater heroes at play from the sidelines. It's also like how Sherlock Holmes novels are always told from the POV of Watson, it's an old storytelling technique.

>I can't really challenge you on the combat I feel the games are just too different and distinct to be easily comparable. FFX feels like a continuation and refinement of the ATB system they pioneered in the genre whereas FFXII's gambit system is something completely different and unique. It being such a departure from previous titles did subject it to a lot of criticism at the time though I feel much of that was unearned.

FFX's turn based was nothing new, it was the barebones turn based of NES era Final Fantasy games, it didn't have the ATB of FFVII where character's gauges filled up, it was just a simple straight-forward turn based as I recall.

FFXII was a revolutionary combination of ATB in real time, and the gambit system was entirely optional, it was not meant for new fights or boss fights where you would need to strategise on the go, but for fights where you already knew what to expect. Like when grinding or fighting masses of enemies, or when you have a heal character and you don't want to have to remember to heal every so often because the battle flows so quick and you might forget.

Reminder that squirting is just piss.

So...Kaho is a cosplayer since retiring?