Characters have established surnames

>Characters have established surnames.
>Dialogue never uses them, but says shit like "Mr. Cecil" instead.

Attached: 1550974865232.jpg (320x240, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9U0F14TB_Wo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>english translation still leaves in japanese honorifics

Attached: 1563005917231.jpg (480x480, 24K)

>western artist uses "ara-ara"

Attached: buypreview-5-m.png (580x630, 330K)

I will defend this. Western honorifics just don't work the same way. It's hugely important for relationships and social status.

Honorifics arent important in english other than jerking off people with status.
In writing, you are taught "show, not tell". I dont need a constant reminder of their relationship everytime they talk after the first or second time

>fufufu

Attached: 1443751763299.jpg (636x651, 39K)

What does it even mean

Attached: 1564671262822.jpg (1000x750, 67K)

not every relationship is fleshed out to that extend. Doesn't mean it's not important to the story. By removing honorifics information gets lost.

What does "fufufu" even sound like?
I have to like warp it into the kind of laugh you do when you push air between your teeth and lip. I refuse to beleive people are wring people and intend their laugh to sound like "Foo Foo Foo"

youtube.com/watch?v=9U0F14TB_Wo

>game set in japan
>about jap people
>the jap voice lines use honorifics (and there is no dub)
>the text does not
god I fucking hate that shit

Attached: 1395108265263.jpg (836x798, 41K)

You wanted a translation not a localization so here's your cecil san bro

What the actual fuck

Attached: 1560573999606.jpg (771x886, 138K)

It makes more sense when you understand the japanese character for hu is read as fu a lot of the time. I don't know why the laugh thing was romanized with f's though.

What about "nishishishi"?

See... I get it. I do. The character needs to say something that has that bit of extra respect to it, and "Mr."/"Ms." is a somewhat close approximation. What bugs me about it is that nobody fucking says "Mr. [Forename]" to show that respect. Either write the involved characters' earlier interactions to include the surname and have them say "Mr. [Surname]", or just have them say something general and polite like "Sir" with no name attached.

That's rewriting the script and it ruins the artistic vision

Respectfully disagree. Some things just don't translate directly, and if the super-exact nuances change a bit in preventing the target-language script from sounding awkward to the target audience, that's something I'm willing to accept.

>character has twelve names, fourteen titles, five ranks each in nine different organizations, and two-hundred and sixty seven different relations he's called by
fuck you fyodor you russian prick

and that's exactly why you leave it in
you're not redrawing the fucking film to "show, not tell", and since it's not important in English, and English lacks the same nuance there, information is lost by trying to translate it.

yikes!

Then thats a flaw of japanese writing.
If your whole relationship dynamic is lost by removing a word then you need to show it better in the medium.

Attached: 1550697613864.gif (480x396, 608K)

It's fine if it's a Japanese setting. If it's clearly western inspired then whoever is translating it needs to fuck off.