What did you think of Darkwood?

What did you think of Darkwood?

Attached: Darkwood_cover.png (419x238, 77K)

very good, wish indie devs did more shit like this instead of tranny pixel shit like celeste or whatever

It's great

What should be my order of operations/immediate goals in this game? I started exploring and found some gas for the generator and a few other things, but had no idea what to do beyond that.

I thought it was very boring. Didnt finish it.

The beginning can be a little directionless so I always recommend new players head to the second area/village after only a few days. Basically when you have gathered as much as you can from the first area and have a decent starter weapon you can go.

I'm on the fence for buying it.

I have been playing the Switch release and am pretty close to beating it. Just take your time at first and get used to the controls. Fighting is difficult at first, my main tip is to swing a bit earlier than you feel you should. Make a nail board and then upgrade it with more nails. You will get plenty of materials so don't stress too much about what to keep. You can bait a moose into a bear trap then beat it down with a melee weapon. The moose drops antlers that are valuable at the trader.

Game is in sale right now on steam for super cheap. Buy it you fags.
I've played on PC with KMB and its definitely easier. I can see how playing on a controller can be harder, specially the shitty joycons.

Played it twice for a half hour, too spooky. I’m a puss and I probably won’t play again. Maybe maybe in the safety of day light in a police station parking lot or something. In the morning. On a Sunday.

I'm pretty sure the devs still have a functional version floating around in pirate land. They put it up there themselves, so just check it out and see if it's your thing. I love it, but it has a pretty particular appeal.

devsa re ok with you pirating it
it's good though
play it in the dark with headphones on

I never beat it... Always get stuck in the third area and I give up.

solid game. third area is fucking hard tho.

do this

Nice art. Goes to goofy land too quickly with shit like genius boy-child and eating wood, the art and SFX really carries it.

It's a bit too simple overall for how slow it is.

I miss him.

Attached: trader.png (400x578, 357K)

It was boring. Protagonist moves far too slowly, and that makes everything else feel like a chore. Scavenging, fighting, building, everything just takes way too fucking long. The skills are altogether pointless; the ones with benefits aren't good enough to offset the negatives, and you don't actually need any of them to beat the game anyway.

The top down 2d perspective completely neuters the horror aspect, making it difficult to actually figure out what you're looking at in the mass of other sprites layered onto every screen. And while I get what they were going for with the shitty static map, that kind of thing really only works in a more 3d environment where you can actually pick you landmarks in the distance to find your way by -with the 2d, you only ever have a vague sense of where you are because the environments all look the same and you just have to stumble around until a location pings red (and I mean seriously, if you were going to do that you might as well just have a red pin where you are anyway otherwise it just seems like a blatant attempt to annoy the player).

The night sections are probably the worst, though. Spending five fucking minutes huddled in a dark room with your thumb up your ass isn't fun, and it isn't scary. It's tedious. Yeah, yeah, sometimes monsters will bang on the windows and they might even be able to get through the sofa you pushed against the door, but as long as you positioned the lamps properly you might only have to fight one thing a night. But you can't really make it fun by setting up bear trap minefields and killing zones because the game's resource management doesn't allow for it.

I will say that the portrait art is really good, though.

Second area onwards I found it didn't matter how I positioned myself or what I threw in front of the doors and windows, the monster barrage was constant.

its enjoyable, but I really cant say that it would be worth buying. Its one of those indies that breaks some ground but not in a lasting way.

I didn't get bothered much in the second area, but by the third I had enough guns and bullets that it didn't matter if anything got in or not.

Honestly, I think I would have liked it a lot more if you just weren't forced to be in the hideouts. I would have loved being able to creep silently through the dark woods, dodging patrolling groups of savages or something.

How do the lamps work? I beat the game, but I just ignored them because it felt like it would attract too much attention and was too risky to move around. Past the second hide out, it always seemed 50/50 some giant piece of shit would start poking around the base regardless.

I like it but the Old Woods are kicking my ass.

Loved it, probably my favorite horror game next to SH2

The higher difficulties would have been better if they imposed a time limit as opposed to limited lives. You can always play as slow as your attention span can allow and eventually accrue a god awful amount of resources.

The light from the lamps can leak out through cracks in walls and the slats in boarded up windows, and the monsters that spawn around the house can see the light and it prompts them to attack.

That said, you can move the lamps around so that they illuminate rooms without leaking outside. It's supposed to be some clever defensive maneuver but it completely fails in that regard because, like you said, monsters will poke around the base regardless. It's the same with being quiet; not making noise is supposed to help keep the monsters away but it honestly doesn't matter if you run up and down the halls unloading a shotgun into the floorboards, monsters will attack just the same.

Do monsters home in on you at night despite the noise you make, or is it scripted when you hear faggots dicking around but never engage you? I guess it doesn't make as much of a difference in hideout 1 and 4, but the others seem like you can evade them.

And, damn, where'd you guys get all the shot shells? I felt like I was always making a choice between killing something slowly with traps and shovel or panicing and using shotgun.

I thought it was really great

Nevermind. I guess if you go pretty slowly, there's no real limit to how much ammo you can pile.

Start hoarding ammunition from traders from the onset. Everything else they sell can be found pretty easily in the world, ammo is the only thing you won't be finding reliably throughout the game.

Kinda makin me want to try again, lol. There's no bonus content from higher difficulties is there? Just showing off your dick?

I only ever played through it fully on hardcore so I can't say if there's anything different.

>Do monsters home in on you at night despite the noise you make, or is it scripted when you hear faggots dicking around but never engage you?

A lot of it is scripted, yeah, but they still do hone in on you. Even in the first hideout, you can have all the lights off and be absolutely silent and savages will still just stroll right in the front door like they own the place.

They will usually do a sweep of the place. Naturally it can be impossible to avoid them in smaller hideouts, but in the 3rd and 4th hideout you can actually move around to avoid them and they will leave after a while if you're undetected though it's very risky. The invisibility perk helps with that.

Well I finished it. It can be really atmospheric and creepy if you get into it (Lights off, headphones on). Took me about 40 days due to me taking my time and playing it safe.

Rush shovel, its the only melee weapon you need. Upgrade durability and damage and you will use it the whole game.

Start buying shotgun shells and pistol rounds from the trader every day from the very start.

Alcohol and bottles are more rare than you would expect. Craft a torch out of the alcohol, sell the torch, and then use the empty bottle to make a Molotov or lantern.

You can only take what you can carry into Chapter 2, so don't get too obsessed with hoarding every single item. Trader rep dosent come over either.

For nights try to find the room with the least number of entrances. Barricade everything. Put all your lamps in one room because sometimes they go out. Enemies usually walk straight towards you, so try to lure them into bear traps in your hideout.

Let me know if you have any other questions.