What game has the best stealth?

What game has the best stealth?

Attached: thief3image.png (880x556, 335K)

Tenchu Z

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

I like it too, but...

Metal Gear Solid 2

with stealth games incorporate forms of stealth that doesn't involve completely concealing yourself?

Hitman I guess.

genuinely disgusting that chaos theory / splinter cell 1 hasn't been mention and is really systemic to what's wrong with this board... it's full of users born after 2005

Tenchu Z is the comfiest and most refined stealth game. I would assassinate for a PC port with a level editor.

Thief 3 wasn't really that bad, you have to commend Id for trying their best to emulate what made the first 2 amazing. Paradoxically, it was the better graphics that did the most damage as what tiles made what sound when walking across them became less clear the more subtle lighting gradient made it more difficult to know when you were hidden or not. The hub world was also awful so that didn't help and first person movement affected by the third person animations was also pretty annoying

Assassin's creed 2...

>Deus Ex: Human Revolution
It doesn't even have the best stealth in its own series.

Attached: 17327128128.jpg (2000x2000, 895K)

Why it was on Xbox rather than previous son exclusive?

>first person movement affected by the third person animations was also pretty annoying
It was fucking infuriating. Do any of the mods fix that? Because if not, I'm probably never going to replay it.

Never played that one. I was very impressed by HR's stealth though. The comparison to MGS is accurate. It's like the most refined version of MGS stealth mechanics, or what MGS was trying to go for

Thief 1 and Chaos Theory

Attached: i_just_saved_the_world_by_ogilac-d7njr0j.jpg (2000x2585, 2.24M)

>Never played that one. I was very impressed by HR's stealth though. The comparison to MGS is accurate. It's like the most refined version of MGS stealth mechanics, or what MGS was trying to go for

But MGS stealth mechanics are fundamentally flawed. Stealth should require you to be aware of your surroundings, not have a magical radar and an omniscient 3rd person viw that lets you see everything.

I know there are Hammerites with swords, but they hooded guy on the left is new for me.
Should make a skin. The TDP called 'Information' had a Hammerite killer/thief

>stealth game
>drops you into some environment where you have no idea where you're going
>easier to just knock all the guards out so you can freely explore the area
this is the problem with all stealth games

Which SC should I be playing, again? The first three?

shinobido

Either Thief 2 or CT, I'd go with CT.
Sniper Elite had a pretty nice stealth too if I remember right, but only the first one

Answer please. I get CT, but are any of the others worth it?

Thief 1 & 2, Hitman Blood money, Styx series, Escape from butcher bay,

The first one is worthless compared to the rest.
Second is real good, CT is supreme, DA is fine I guess, Conviction was never made and Blacklist is worse than DA but still eh kidnda whatever, I guess.

Thanks. I actually played Blacklist for some reason, and it was, well, pretty much that, I think.
So it's fine to start at PT?

Yes

>sticky cover and canned cutscene takedown animations
>refined

chaos theory is great if not the best
double agent has its moments

Styx: Master of Shadows

>Thief 3
now thats a game i havent played in a while. not since i started high school in fact. i still miss all those quiet comfy nights of playing thief, hitman, deus ex, and splinter cell on my mom's shitty computer. fuck bros i just want to go back, where did time go? its not fucking fair.

Attached: 1565131603679.png (951x645, 344K)

you posted it, the only games that comes close thief's stealth is chaos theory.
not only are the tenchu games hugely underrated as a franchise, tenchu z specifically is hugely overlooked and gets too much shit. it was hugely fun because of the amount of mobility you had, and getting a stealth kill was incredibly satisfying.

if only it literally didn't repeat the same level over and over again endlessly.

Attached: 1546896575257.png (486x672, 401K)

>It's like the most refined version of MGS stealth mechanics
With not even half the movement options, a heavy reliance on hiding behind waist-high walls which are all conveniently close to the patrol paths so you can take them down without even having to leave concealment instead of manipulating guards and avoiding their LOS, an alert system even more binary than MGS where they barely even try to look for you after you give them the slip, and a genuine fucking invisibility cloak that recharges?

>tfw so many stealth games don't even give you good stealth options or movements
>arbitrary difficulties or too easy enemies

In modern Hitman some guards can randomly see through their disguises and their is an option to turn on/off the ability to see them on the map. It seems so, crappy.

Cutting edge: MGSV and SC Blacklist
Classic: SC Chaos Theory and Thief
Social: Hitman

Attached: 1564587083321.png (412x594, 461K)

The problem was there were too few areas (I think there were 4 or 5 total spread out over 50 levels) and the forced final boss sucked.

I did thoroughly enjoy it though, it was fun going for total stealth kills on every level.

Thief: The Dark Project

those sentries in nu hitman add some realistic challenge, it's better than just being able to walk through the whole map once you get a disguise and it be just too easy.

however there are choke points where they place the sentries which seem a little artificial and force you down specific paths, but otherwise it's a good system and they give you a lot of room to maneuver around them

Oblivion
/thread

They're akin to priests and appear only in Thief 3: Deadly shadows.

chaos theory is my pick as well. what did you think of blacklist, my man?

>cutting edge
You mean only graphics, right? Even fucking MGS 3 had a better-developed stealth system than V with all the camo index gimmick. Also, Nu-Hitman blows PP and Blacklist out of the water anyway.

I've never actually played Thief 3 or Deus Ex 2
Are they really that bad?

Skyrim.

Cutting edge in the sense the are stealth ops optimized in tools, armory and resources. Scarcity as concept is non-existent in Black and MGSV.

They add challenges, it just feels like they are arbitrary. Like, aside from the setting to see them/not see them there is no other way of knowing who they are?

If there was a way of observing people to see if they could see through their disguises, it would be better and mean you would have to be careful and observe an area.

Based as fuck
Cringe and Reddit-pilled

I like Styx because of how vertical levels are, especially in Shards of Darkness.
It really accentuates Styx's gobbo agility.

Thief 1.

thanks you made me remember the dark mod and how fucking nobody makes decent maps for it and now I'm mad

t. 19 year old

Microsoft published it, same with a couple other fromsoft titles around that time.

deadly shadows is good, especially thanks to teef giving us some perspective. it's got a great story, amazing atmosphere and plays pretty well, even though garret moves like a tank which is bizarre and takes some getting used to, but it works well enough.

invisible war is just not good. the writing and pacing is confusing and nonsensical, it guts a lot of the depth of the first one and the constant loading screens are hugely obnoxious. It's got some great moments though and a nice atmosphere at times, but the rest of it is hugely mediocre.

quite a few of them don’t have a ton of exploration

Having 10 gimmicks to make the same action does not mean the stealth is more refined/specialized
Example, in MGS V how to use an item as a distraction.
>throw/shoot something
>use a "mine" magazine to call for attention
>directly use a sex model card box to distract
>use a decoy to distract (same as the magazine, but now the enemies think it's you)
>use a body to distract

Still, 6 ways to do the same thing is just a gimmick way to bloat your game with "content" but is fundamentally all the same mechanic with barely any ramification.

Attached: 1548170181987s.jpg (250x165, 7K)

>aside from the setting to see them/not see them there is no other way of knowing who they are?
npcs and sentries that can see through your disguise have white circles over their head if I remember right

I would give the first game a try at least, it will only make you appreciate the improvements in CT more, 2 wasn't even made by the original team (they were working on CT while 2 got outsourced) and while it's not bad, it didn't hook me for some reason.
4 is only worth it if you can get the xbox version, also the only version made by CT team, but I didn't hate the next gen version either

I miss Michael Ironside.

Attached: 1565221629168.jpg (419x370, 7K)

This.
Being "stealth" in Human Revolution was as easy as just running through the whole level, agroing everyone along the way then hiding in an air vent for 30 seconds until they all de-agro'd.
It somehow had worse stealth than fucking MMORPGs even.

FFXI Online had good stealth mechanics. Different mobs agro'd differently; either sight agro, sound agro (proximity) or smell (being low HP around undead).
Some mobs also tracked your scent, so you could de-agro them by walking over water.
There were plenty of passive job abilities too that added increased chance of not being detected when in agro range and spells/abilities to make you invisible or muffled (make no sound).

Attached: 1556654746607.jpg (1440x868, 261K)

I think that's what he's complaining about, essentially that certain npcs see through your disguise just cause videogames, and not because they're a manager at whatever location your disguised in, or friends with the person you're disguised as. Idk how something more than a white dot would be implemented with modern AI tech, but I get what he's saying in that there's no context to somebody seeing theough your disguise outside of headcanon.

thanks for putting that together
guess I'm gonna have to give both games a chance at some point

You're completely braindead, there are different purposes for all of those. A magazine is one time use and cannot stop a vehicle, unlike a decoy. The cardboard box allows you to remain mobile near guards, and so on.

Human revolution pissed me off with the rewards at the end of each mission. You basically have to ghost each mission to maximize the rewards so it just amounts to quick saving and doing everything perfectly.

They are all distractions. Also, the silent tranq gun is still the best stealth approach for any mission.

I had a combo of using rocket punch (because ignores helmets) and infinite Fulton d-dog. The best distraction is not having to make a distraction at all, just remove the "distracted" from the equation.

>playing for the first time
>just went full ghost, ignoring all the guards on my way
>talk to the guy and saved the hostage
>one hostage died because I didn't explore the map
Fuck that game and his braindead cover "stealth".

It's not actual stealth were the best outcome is ghosting, it's """stealth""", were the best outcome is KO-ing every enemy with a canned animation by pressing F.
On the flip side, it's fun to hide people in vents.

Attached: Holy Trintity of Stealth Games.jpg (920x310, 101K)

Is there anything specifically wrong about Thief Gold? Does the gold somehow make it worse?

It adds Thieve's Guild, the worst level in the series.

Rad. I love that new editions almost never do a game good.

yeah but just be warned there's compatability issues up the ass for modern hardware that will need fixing. Worst case scenario, look into emulation or backwards compatibility

Mark of the ninja

Attached: 83DA96BD-8E07-4FE6-B163-A22DC53AD3EB.jpg (739x415, 33K)

So do I cop the first 2 thief-s on GOG right now? Give me an approximate clunk-rating, from System Shock 1 to Quake 3.

if you already played system shock 2 it won't feel different at all

Unfortunately no afaik. I think ripping out the entire third-person view would be too complex for a mod, or at least doing it so it fixes the movement issues would be.
At least T3Gold fixed the hub/loading screens which already makes it a lot more playable.

That was a flawless comparison, thank you.

Dude just stop. You only like this game because you had a little weeb boner as a kid. The stealth in this series is awful.

For me its Ghost Recon Future Soldier.

Attached: 6765676576.jpg (1280x720, 155K)

They're both worth playing, but both suffer from switching to new engines and moreover the switch to Xbox, which means levels needed to shrink significantly, but also inexplicably the rope arrow was removed and "replaced" with a (contextual) climbing glove for example. IW I would only play if you're a big DX fan (certainly don't start with it as your first DX game) but it has plenty of redeeming qualities as well, the writing is decent if somewhat more shlocky and less coherent and you'll get used to the tiny levels after a while, it still has some great design here and there.

If you're going to play T3 then grab the Gold patch which merges parts of the City hub so you don't get loading screens too often. T3 was actually my first Thief game and I played the originals not long after so it's not a bad introduction to the series, just expect the originals to be significantly better on most fronts.

The only stealth games that I can enjoy are Commandos and it's clones, regular stealth games are boring because the challenge is mostly about waiting, you know what you have to do, but you have to wait for the AI to let you do it, in tactical stealth games because you have multiple characters to manage, you can always do something else while another character is waiting and the puzzle like nature of the gameplay that requires you to use your character's abilities to support each other makes the experience far more engaging than corner peek and waiting.
Hitman's formula does spice things up a bit, but I felt it to be too gimmicky reliant.

Attached: st (2).jpg (1920x1080, 412K)

Nothing even compares.

Attached: 642004.jpg (1920x1080, 161K)

My nigga. Your pic is one of most underrated games this gen. I love it.

What do you think about Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood?

I still have to play that one, I only have played Commandos 1 & 2, Desperados and Shadow Tactics.

Attached: Desperados-WantedDeadOrAlive-04-Hang'mHigh!.jpg (2560x1408, 573K)

nope

Well it's my personal favorite, but mostly because I enjoy the setting and the sword fighting.

As a sandbox stealth game, yes.
As a Stealth game, no.

Does it do anything different from other games in the genre?

You go through Robin Hood's story: rob caravans, raise an army of merry men, take cities, etc.
Also there's a bigger focus on fighting.

Attached: image.jpg (1024x576, 92K)

haha

only correct answer

Attached: image.jpg (1000x562, 173K)

It also added the Opera house which is great so it balances out

I did the ultimate stealth protag, not even Snake or agent 47 can track her. She can still wear disguises or blend in as an object in the environment.

How can I make her even stealthier? How can someone even beat her?

Attached: more real steath.png (1066x1102, 84K)

Just attack the whole room.

The only good level from gold.

She can climb walls too, and what would prevent her from always be behind ya?

That's why I said the whole room.

A multiplayer FPS being sneaking in those games is very satisfying also another thing OW has failed in

Holy shit some people are nuts

agreed by you ruined this by writing /thread on your own comment 0/10 cringed and you are bluepilled

Attached: clowns2.gif (256x192, 1.04M)

I actually genuinely think the first Splinter Cell is the best in the series. It's the most grounded. Most people prefer CT, and it's very good too, but I felt it was way goofier in tone.

this
fucking de:hr mentioned before splinter cell? jesus

world of warcraft

ct and bm are really easy stealth games tho

I used to enjoy payday 2 way back when it first released but I heard it got really gay is the stealth still any fun?

I'm gonna take the fall and out myself as a retard here, but I unironically liked and completed Invisible War and you're still wrong. The stealth was shit. It might have been modelled on Thief, but it was a shit implementation of that, and in practice relied entirely on locating the incredibly convenient vents everywhere or just turning yourself invisible with your superpowers.
Human Revolution's stealth wasn't great, but it was better than that.

hope they make more shadow tactics

They are making a new Desperados

I'll be honest, I only enjoy "arcade" stealth. Where you're rapidly avoiding vision cones and still jumping around the place. Your Mark of the Ninja, Dishonoured, Metal Gear 1 through Metal Gear Solid 2.

Stealth that tries to emulate what stealthing is actually like, just bores me to tears.
Haven't tried Splinter Cell or Hitman yet, though.

Thief 1 and 2

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1024x768, 118K)

I quite like Dishonored and Bamahm style.
It's cathartic to be a super powered predator in total control of the situation.

I liked the future modern vibe in ct
I remember a common complaint against ct that the plots were too subdued and political and that they even had "no plot" compared to mgs. which is dumb, I love them plots in sc.

league of legends

Those plots seem a lot more congruous with the idea of a stealth game than MGS to me. You go and do sneaky shit in little countries that don't seem to matter but have strategic value to the US/Russia/China. Your little victories are things like recording a conversation, or investigating the death of a diplomat.

SC convictions co-op mode

>Bamahm
Possibly the worst case of "crouch to become completely undetectable and get behind enemies for a silent canned animation 1 button take down".
I've seen talks about that game and mobs are programmed to never look back when you are behind them.
Absolutely deplorable.

it works in the design of the game.

There are a lot of things iffy with Invisible War's mechanics, it's as if they've got the idea on paper but the forgot to draw the complete thing on paper. Too bad the current devs won't be able to correct/improve themselves on the next game. Fuck Square Enix.

Joke.

Although you get most of the experience by hacking and doing silent takedowns, you don't really need all the augs. I fucked up a few times and even then, I had all the necessary augs by 3/4 of the game.
I mean, who in their right mind would take shit like Hacking Fortify and Hacking Analyze? The Stealth augs are fucking useless too. I mean the stuff like cones of vision and alarm time, not the cloak aug.

> Drop all paxis points in invisibility perk and battery upgrades
> Ghost through the entire game without effort

Attached: Screenshot_from_20190722_034000.png (338x265, 110K)

Thief the dark project (1998)

Attached: tumblr_pje9jhKMZk1w0zjvdo2_500.png (500x472, 132K)

underrated

>nd not because they're a manager at whatever location your disguised in
but usually thats the case in nu-hitman

dude
>*plop*
>*reload*
>zzzz
>*fulton extraction*
stealth lmao

based and btfo

Alien Isolation has some nice stealth segments that are fucking nerve wracking. I don't even want to play it anymore

Attached: apps.17952.68893806363683384.55eaca3a-8306-4de9-86b3-fbdbb6e226cd.be481c00-f050-4ec5-b815-6e74ab2826 (1920x1080, 265K)

shame the alien AI is built to make the game scary, rather than for good stealth

Probably dishonored 2 (corvo). Or hit man (the new one)

thief and deus ex HR are the most fun i've had sneaking around

dishonored is comfy but makes the mistake of having it be WAY too easy to juke guards making my personal problem of feeling like there's no point in not quickloading after getting found even worse- the only even vaguely challenging part of the game is maintaining complete stealth, the game is a fucking cakewalk if I wanted to go on a murderous rampage.