Only 2.5m

What the hell happened. This game had so much hype and it had literally everything. AAA budget and marketing, Microsoft marketing etc it had everything going for it and yet 5 months later it's only at 2.5m and got outsold by Sekiro which not only came out later but is at 3.8m

I guess DMC really is niche. You can't say Capcom didn't try cause DMC5 was awesome and had lots of exposure

Attached: Devil-May-Cry-5-livestream.jpg (1920x1080, 869K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Oi7WH7_NO9I
segmentnext.com/2019/05/10/devil-may-cry-5-capcom/
capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html
steamcharts.com/app/601150
steamcharts.com/app/524220
youtube.com/watch?v=ArhUi5VY5LU
youtube.com/watch?v=sQc3H11NL08
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

only hardcore fans cared the world moved on

>AAA budget and marketing
this game had like no budget user. scanning in models was way cheaper than creating them by hand like in previous games.

and it's free if you buy a sapphire rx 570,580,590

>only
>in 4 months

p.s whats with all the DMC hate threads recently? i've seen 4 today alone

anyone got a music link

Attached: 2019-02-12 (17).png (1233x968, 87K)

You know a game did well when a few psychopathic Yea Forumsirgins obsess over shitposting it daily. You can also tell they're autistic morons because they have to start inventing false realities where their claims are somehow proof that X is done for.

"DMC is done for, how will Capcom continue to support this series that can drive millions of sales after a ten year lull?"

Like does OP know what it looks like when a game actually flops?

it's exclusively not on switch, hence the shitposting.

It was and always has been a niche franchise. Normie plebs can't into complex gameplay with fighting game style inputs. It doesn't have a MUH EMOTIONAL MATURE NARRATIVE either so all the normies get filtered hard.

That said, Capcom is not retarded anymore and DMC5 had the right budget and sold exactly, in fact slightly above, what Capcom was expecting.
Even before release, DMC5's sales expectations were at 2 million. and it surpassed them. You retards can stop with the doomposting

youtube.com/watch?v=Oi7WH7_NO9I
best song

sekiro was the better game. period.

AS I STARE INTO THE EYE OF THE COMING

Attached: 1549058603296.jpg (599x945, 89K)

This. DMC5 was too short and felt rushed. Sekiro felt like a complete game. When is Dragon's Dogma 2. Capcom needs to stop pandering to CHRUUAZYYYYfags already.

VERGIL DLC

Tkys

>Sekiro felt like a complete game
>worst Souls game ever made alongside DaS2
Really makes you think

It's because they changed subhuman.
Honestly I like the original more, it has more energy

Yes the game with 12 bosses with rehashes and "minibosses" that were also rehashed; a last area that was fully rehashed and fuck all for enemy variety was more complete than an action with 3 completely different and unique characters with insane depth, a wide variety of unique bosses and mini bosses and just overall better visuals felt incomplete.
I like Sekiro too, dont get me wrong, but you're fucking retarded

Autism. There have been a fuckton of Persona 5 hate threads recently for no fucking reason, yet the game was celebrated when it first released.

Dmc was always a niche title. The thing is that before you wouldn't call a failure a game that has sold more than two million copies in four months.

Barry going into overdrive

Just a reminder that these are the general copies sold

Attached: Screenshot_742.png (624x720, 41K)

Between inflation and overall increase in cost of game dev how the fuck can anybody say dmc5 didn't flop? Somebody link me a quote of '2mil units is considered a success' cause it sounds like pure headcanon.

So is Dante in 5 the single most complex action game character ever created? How many mechanics does he have exactly?

>Every individual Style and what each Style allows you to do
>Style switching
>switching melee weapons and guns at the same time
>pause combos
>DSD's Swords Formation (and its inputs in Swordmaster in general)
>Balrog's switching between Blow and Kick Modes
>Balrog's Ignition
>charging King Cerberus'
>charging E&I and Coyote-A
>Dr. Faust's gambling mechanic
>setting Dr. Faust on enemies
>Hat Trick
>option to equip however many weapons you want including the Full Custom option which allows you to equip EVERYTHING at once
>Devil Trigger which after you gain DSD gives you Swords Formation by default
>SDT
>Quad SSS
>Enemy Step
>Taunting
>Air Taunting

Does that cover everything? I CAN'T HOLD THIS MUCH STYLE

Attached: 50e.png (250x250, 36K)

>DMC 3

RULES WITH NO EXCEPTION LASTS ETERNALLY

Too bad the overall combat is worse than 4.

because they didn't release a finished game, just wait for the special edition

This game didn't have a huge budget. How the fuck could you ever think that when the lack of budget is so fucking obvious when you play the game?

segmentnext.com/2019/05/10/devil-may-cry-5-capcom/

>This game had everything!!!
>but other game!!!
>but also I like it!! dont shit on me!!!
This template is stale already, try something new for once.

DMC's fanbase is consistent. Any luck 5 will still have legs for a bit more. That 4 is still the highest selling game is kind of hilarious. I guess pandering to fujos did work.

>DmC5
>DmC6

>Outsold DmC's lifetime sales in a few months

All I wanted. Vindication.

>sekiro was the better game. period.

Worse and more shallow combat system (even with just 1 character)
Worse boss design
Worse combat

Only think Sekiro has over it is "atmosphere".

journos just can't let it go

>Too bad the overall combat is worse than 4.
>much better designed enemies (they're not designed entirely around ONE character for one thing)
>much better boss fights with many more of them in the game than in 4
>"worse than 4"
Get the fuck out of here

capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

Attached: 1543891230079.webm (1046x1920, 2.91M)

As a kid dmc was one of my favorite games ever. Played the first on PlayStation tons of times, but later moved to pc. Downloaded the demo to try it out but it gave me no explanation at all on how to play. I just couldn't get a feel for it and it felt kinda lame, not how I remembered it at all. Maybe if they had added more of a showcase on what can be achieved etc more people would've bought it.

If it's not made by Rockstar or Nintendo, 99% of its lifetime sales will only be from the first few days.

>SF5 sold 600k this year

Fuck me. I guess all the new characters are giving the game huge legs.

Itsuno's DMC plays way differently than Krillin's

It's more a symptom of the times. AAA gaming is about time sinks with continuous content, and consumers can only play so many of those at a time.
Either way, concrete singleplayer experiences selling 2-4 million copies is a success most of the time.

>Great gimmicks that reward skilful play between his timed exceed attacks and mechanical arms that break on damage/have limited uses and have to be used in order so you're stuck with what you get
>Got the best theme in the game
How can Dante even compete?

Attached: dmc5nero.png (672x372, 197K)

I know exactly one person who wanted DMC5.

I was excited for sekiro, so was 2 of my friends
We all got it and loved the shit out of it because the world.
DMC was always really cool but I never played it much compared to NG

>Got the best theme in the game
that's not nusubhuman

why are you bringing up enemies and bosses when im strictly talking about the combat you burnt ass nigger? fuck off

Honestly, it's not bad, but considering that DMC4 came out when the potential playerbase was much smaller and still sold more, it sure could be better. Unless I'm missing something.

>enemies and bosses are not part of the combat
So your idea of good gameplay is hitting a training dummy for hours.

I mean, Nero is Itsuno's baby. Dante hasn't had a good battle theme since DMC3.

Attached: ._..png (611x759, 561K)

Because combat includes enemy and bosses, retard. What's good is a complex combat system if the things you fight are retarded and never bother fighting you? Either way, you're retarded since 5's combat still kicks the shit out of 4's. Fuck your obscure, esoteric glitches. Dante and Nero are both far more complex and deeper than they were in 4;

How much did 4 sell in it's first month?

>What the hell happened.
The game was shit.

>not a new ip
lel

Devil May Cry 5 is basically the "It gets good after 50 hours" meme.

DMC5 is designed around replayablity. It even goes as far as introducing a new game mechanic on the very last mission because it wants to invite you to stick around and get better at the game. That's the true strength of the game.

The average joe doesn't really care about this and most people end up playing DMC5 maybe 1-2 times. It's game design is too niche.

I guess it has to do with the fact that DMC4 came out 2 years after arguably the best game of the series and DMC5 did after DMC4 being half a game, DmC being a shit game and DMC4 SE being a good game that mainly appeals to very good combo autists

>DMC5
>game design
>gets good ever

The game LITERALLY flatlined in player counts.

steamcharts.com/app/601150

This is unheard of for AAA games. It was a fucking blunder.

>Devil May Cry 5 is basically the "It gets good after 50 hours" meme.
I see what you mean about the replayability but maybe it's because I'm a huge DMCfag but I loved every single fucking moment of it my first playthrough.

>The average joe doesn't really care about this and most people end up playing DMC5 maybe 1-2 times. It's game design is too niche.
Yeah unfortunately, most people are fucking stupid and will only play through a game once and never bother learning anything about advanced tech or even just explore the base combat system much. Or try to find hidden secrets. They do the bare minimum, beat it (if even that) then move on to the next thing or just play more Fortnite these days.

reposting for later

Attached: Devil May Cry Series Sales, June 30th, 2019.png (684x1417, 458K)

user, did you actually examine the flat line? Or are you so retarded you thought that meant nobody was playing it?

>There were 550 people playing it, then 450 people, then it flat lined! Haha! What a blunder!
>still 450 people playing it day to day

i like the game even if i did find it very disappointing, Sekiro wins on everything but gameplay but DMCV kinda wasted its potential.

>When is Dragon's Dogma 2.

This is all I really care about.

Attached: 1380297105154.png (1804x2040, 376K)

>for no fucking reason
switchfags didn't get the port they begged for. that's the reason.

it's been literally 10 years. if anything it's cool DMC5 did this well when the playerbase should've shrank because DMC4 had a divided reception, DmC was fucking DmC and even then it was another 5-6 years since the series was considered murdered by corporate incompetence and a lot of the nerds that played DMC1 and 3 were grown ass men with jobs and families and shit.

that's describing excactly what he said though

>The average joe doesn't really care about this and most people end up playing DMC5 maybe 1-2 times. It's game design is too niche.

1.8 million in like 2 and half months
Here's from September 30th 2009, 1.5 year after release and DMC5 already outsold it in 4 months.

Attached: 2009 3.png (1920x1946, 600K)

>450 people for a game released this year
Imagine thinking this is anything.

It's kinda sad that you're this predictable user, so I'll give you the expected predictable explanation: it doesn't matter how many people are trackable on SteamSpy playing a 10 hour single player game months after the initial release. You're trying to prove the whole is flawed using a percentage of a percentage.

steamcharts.com/app/524220
This is a good game. People are still playing it years later.

>ONLY 2.5

It's already outsold the rest of the series in the same amount of time. All of Capcom's sales figures include rereleases/HD editions.

But, consider that DMC5 is:
-a relatively niche title
-is the FIFTH game in a series and a direct sequel rather than a spin-off
-was something of a surprise announcement with about half a year of hype
-essentially had a 10 year gap from the last entry (5 if you count DmC, which most people didn't, but is still a long time)

Sekiro didn't have any of these limits. It was a new IP while managing to build on Dark Souls hype, was teased for a longer time, wasn't a surprise announcement, and fits into a more general "action adventure" genre better than DMC does.

I'm hoping the expansion DLC, whenever it inevitably arrives, adds a significant chunk of new content to boost extra sales. Perhaps have a smaller, self-contained story not laden with series storyline baggage so that it might get a couple extra new players.

Attached: Dante and Vergils final battle.jpg (1931x2145, 1.44M)

And? Seeing as the original point is that 2.5m sales on a single player AAA game after 4 months is somehow a "blunder", I'm not sure what your point is aside from your raging anti-DMC5 autism. Are you upset that there aren't more people concurrently playing a video game at the same time as proof of its poor quality? Are you lonely? Would you feel better playing the game if you could imagine more vividly that there's a few hundred more people each day also playing it?

Seeing as the number is entirely meaningless regarding the quality of the games or the sales there-in(it turns out the devs don't care how long you play a single player non-online game after you pay the initial purchase price) wouldn't it be easier to stop shitposting, play the game and just imagine the magical steam number is higher? Or you could play Nier too. Or you could calm down and have some tendies because DMC6 is guaranteed at this point.

>Yeah unfortunately, most people are fucking stupid and will only play through a game once and never bother learning anything about advanced tech or even just explore the base combat system much.
Another thing is retards jumping into the fifth entry without even trying out the other games. 5 is easy to get into but you're missing the build up to 5.

I can't handle 5 Dante with all weapons equipped. I can only play proficiently with 2, sometimes 3 weapons at a time.

>he thinks I'm going to read this damage contorl
enjoy never getting a sequel pleb

3.0 isn't including the special edition?

I can easily tell this is shitposting because no one actually believes Nier Automata has good combat or quests.

Also, the other thing is that being on Yea Forums would make you think that overall hype for the game was much bigger in the grand scheme of things than it really was.

Yea Forums had been CRAVING a new DMC for an entire decade while being somewhat tired of the Souls series (whose entirety was released in the same span amount of time). It's actually fucking insane that Capcom delivered such a knowingly fanservice-y game after spending the entire previous gen and then some chasing Call of Duty money.

Imagine going into a business meeting and trying to convince your shareholders to let you make a game that has very little chance of expanding the customer base? And that you want more time than normal to develop it. Especially with one of the IPs the previous entry tried to reboot.

It's nothing short of a miracle that it actually fucking happened, AND that it was really damn good to boot.

Attached: dante math.jpg (900x650, 78K)

That must be why four times as many people are playing it lol

rent free

>future dmc's will follow the same formula as 5
as said by capcom

Attached: 1540875382389.jpg (1635x523, 130K)

It was less about Capcom and more about Itsuno pushing for it. The story goes that Itsuno was fed up with CC's bs and he was getting ready to leave when the execs called him in and asked him what he wanted. He said he wanted DMC5 and DD2, so CC told him to start with DMC5. That's also why people are so sure that DD2 is already in the works.

>DmCuck can't shitpost about the reboot being higher

Attached: 1555059357085.jpg (223x227, 12K)

All the people who love the game, discuss it when it comes out and move on. The only people afterwards who bring up the game in a negative light do so for (You)s or are of those people who get their ass ruptured and ruined in these threads and now hold an autistic crusade against that game.

Sekiro isn't a Souls game.

I think DMC5 is still the highest selling DMC game

>source: my personal ass
>unlimited replies
Until at least one of these gets confirmed, it's null.

Resetera Discord is active in their shitposting of late, when they HATE a game those autists will shitpost it to oblivion.

you probably wrote this yourself. you faggots are pathetic enough.

>Barry going into overdrive

this. He was shitting up a FF6 thread earlier because people were dunking on FF15:

Attached: 1564461699443.png (692x786, 345K)

Not really, 4 was just one of those games that was good enough to take advantage of releasing early in the last gen.
Plus it had goodwill from 3.

Oh gee, I wonder why
The soundtrack was excellent

Attached: 54675478.jpg (707x1000, 89K)

4's sales are cumulative of all the years it's been out, also counting 75% off sales and such.

damage control

>fastest selling dmc game ever, on track to surpass every other game in the franchise
>which came after Donte's dmc and we all know initial sales of the next game in a series after a bad entry are normally shit (see dmc3 after dmc2)
>exclusively positive responses from Itsuno, Matt and the others after first week sales and very good reception from both fans and reviewers
>capcom officials talk about dmc5 "successfully reinvigorating" the series
what's exactly the problem here?

Attached: 1553110660227.webm (640x460, 2.95M)

The new version was more bearable to listen too, but didn't have the impact and melodic parts in the original. Glad this fan version with both exists.

youtube.com/watch?v=ArhUi5VY5LU

Literally see

Making Nero the star didn't help

Well persona 5 is a legitimate bad game

Did you miss all the negative AC7 threads after it was released and it being the best selling Ace Combat that Bamco has had?

Well they still have to approve Itsuno's request. And DMC5 isn't the only good thing the company as a whole has done recently. They've made a serious return to form the last 5 or so years, and they thankfully have the sales to prove it. I mean, mainline Resident Evil is a horror series again, despite everything after 4 going further and further into action territory. There was a new Megaman, and Monster Hunter is doing really well (despite some hardcores having relatively mild gripes) too. All with minimal DLC fuckery like before.

They still have a ways to go, but they're definitely refocused as a company.

The franchise ended at 3. Also, V gameplay was a disaster.

What a nice idea for a mod.

Attached: 313-1564141265-337782155.jpg (3619x2113, 1.35M)

I'm pretty sure the CEO asked Itsuno which one he wanted to do first, so there was at least implied approval for DD2

SWORDO MASTAH

MOVE FAST, BABY - DON'T BE SLOW
STEP ASIDE – RELOAD – TIME TO GO
I CAN'T SEEM TO CONTROL
ALL THIS RAGE THAT'S INSIDE ME
PULLIN' SHOTS - AIMIN' DOTS - YEAH I DON'T MISS
BRANDED BY FIRE – BORN IN THE ABYSS
RED HOT TEMPER – I JUST CAN'T RESIST
ALL THIS VENGEANCE INSIDE ME
ALL OF THESE THOUGHTS RUNNIN' THROUGH MY HEAD
ARM ON FIRE, VEINS BURNIN' RED
FRUSTRATION IS GETTIN' BIGGER
BANG BANG BANG – PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER!

You realize DMC5 only has 12 bosses too right?

Between the triple successes of Monster Hunter: World, Resident Evil 2: Remake and Devil May Cry V, all three of which managed to undo years worth of reputation damage in the span of less than a year, I think the Capcom suits have probably learned to shut the fuck up and let the lead devs make what they want.

There's something like this that changes the colors on the UI. Also, when did everyone agree that RG was green?

It had green orbs in 3 i guess thats why

>AAA budget and marketing
It absolutely was not AAA
Action games generally fall into the A to AA range, anywhere from $10 to $60 million
at 2.5 million units sold for $60 a pop, this game made $150 million easy.

What the other guy said. Really though, RG should be purple and TS should be green.

That's right. I guess so. RG isn't very green to me.

the game had much more weight in 3/4. 5 is amazing but slightly casualized making the payoff for combat not as good. theres tons of options which is amazing but the actual base feeling of the combat isnt as refined imo

The best casualization in V is that prices of moves and equipment don't fucking skyrocket with every subsequent purchase. I absolutely despised that feature and I'm glad it was dumpstered.

This. I'm not even a DMC fag but it did well for capcom who considered it a success, it helps they didnt put a gorillion into it like AAA western publishers.

Attached: 1560723961157.jpg (958x959, 85K)

It also helps that the RE Engine outputs some stunning visuals while also being absurdly performance friendly.

It's crazy how it's the Japs these days focusing on maximum optimization with their game engines while the west overblows everything for MUH GRAFIX even to the detriment of framerates on consoles.

I haven't beaten SoS yet but I've been learning how to play with 4 weapons of each. I'm no master yet by any means, since I can't really get all combo vid stylish but I'm surprising myself but how much I can handle all of it at once considering that I never really bothered to git gid with Dante in 4. But then I find his moveset in 5 so much more fun to work with so I'm so much more motivated.

I think Devil Trigger is one of my favorite battle themes ever. Like holy shit, it's so fucking good.

It's a damn shame that Subhuman is still not really that good when DT and Crimson Cloud are both so good.

Silver Bullet grew on me so fucking hard when I wasn't sure what the hell I was listening to at first.

>Only 2.5m
I hate that we're in a world that someone can say this for a niche genre. It's ONLY the most successful of it's kind, who cares when this one mainstream thing did way better am I right?
BRB, driving twenty minutes to a Starbucks instead of the five minutes to the mom and pop coffee shop that is actually better than Starbucks but fuck that they only make 1% of what Starbucks makes!

is Vergil the most profitable capcom character?

Im not saying in terms of TOTAL profit...but are there any other characters that can justify an entire rerelease of a game JUST to include them and ONLY them?

>Look mom I made the thread again!

silver bullet got me in such a mood that i couldnt stop restarting just for the drop

>dmc announcement in two weeks
excite

WHAT
GAMESCHUM?

DT and Silver Bullet are so fucking good that I fucking SWEAR when I become a big-time vidya designer, I'm going to try as hard as I can to put in battle themes like that in all or most of the games I make.

all i know is that capcom made an official statement saying the game "reinvigorated the franchise" so i doubt the series ends here

I don't think there's another genre where one character would matter that much for that to be possible.

barry needs something to do

working out to silver bullet is unmatched

>silver bullet got me in such a mood that i couldnt stop restarting just for the drop
I only like the transition from violin to the beginning of sb

my favorite part about vergil is that capcom and fans are both equally as infatuated with him. Vergil guarantees sales and guarantees a good game. Hes the equivalent of a Nintendo seal of approval

that is teh same as vanilla DMC4 in less than an year. that is actually bibg numbers for the genre

DMC V is shit
goblino characters, shitty story, and the V sections were fucking awful
also the devs lied and said V was his own character prerelease despite how obvious it was that he was just related to virgil
DMC V is shit just like DEMAKE 2
CRAPCOM is japanese EA.

It'll be smart for Capcom to do the Vergil expansion now and then a special edition later to ensure more sales. But they should include some qol in whatever expansion they decide to do.

>not a new ip
stop responding to yourself barry

Silver Bullet is an amazing remix that takes the main theme and reintroduce it in a very organic way. It's like a natural progression of what Devil Trigger should be. Also I agree, that drop and transition is just so satisfying. Who knew an EDM track for a boss fight can be so hyped when done right.

That transition from violin to the drop and Nero's fuck you. That's how you do a climax.

youtube.com/watch?v=sQc3H11NL08

Yeah, because people can't possibly like what you don't. Not like different people like different things.

Normalfags have shit tastes, this has been proven time and time again for the past 2 decades.

2.5 million is still pretty good though.

Attached: 1426356935758.png (3000x1360, 923K)

You don't get newcomers with a fifth part in a series.

>That video
God it's such a fucking sick track that goes hard but the fight is too short.

Dont forget
>Got barely any SFM

Attached: 1364201552000.png (211x208, 32K)