How to smash

Starting to get more into smash with this newest update.
Anybody got some tips on getting good?
How to do movement, spacing and such?

Attached: 250px-DragonQuestIIIRender.png (250x250, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/2JRDgUc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Keep your eyes on your opp not yourself. If you can't figure out how to get round a certain tool, study your replays or watch what top players do in similar situations

stop being retarded and play the game you big fag

Attached: 1560895370032.jpg (274x273, 42K)

Before my sessions I go to big battlefield and or FD and practice my movement, on stage and platform. Sometimes I shadow box. I also practice my forward and backwards jumps for spacing reasons. Movement tip: you can cancel your run with shield (you have to do it while running or else you’ll get that laggy ass skidding animation) this is good for run up shield. That skidding animation I mentioned can be canceled with attacks.

One thing I forgot to mention is, if you’re running and you turn around, the animation is very laggy. I learned that if you put the stick in neutral you can dash the other direction way faster.

>pay $5.99 to obtain Joker
>congratulations, you have won EVO 2019!

>*What is FD?

Final destination.

What do you mean by shadowbox, like you do your attacks againts imaginairy opponents?

>Set tilt attacks to the right stick. They're very important attacks for most characters and it sucks to have to baby your left stick to do them, just slam that right stick in the direction you want to tilt.
>Remember to spot dodge when there's a situation where you might be grabbed or a character is going to run through you (shield button and press down)
>Be sure to tech. Just as you're about to hit the stage, press the shield button. Your character will get up faster. There are very few situations where you wouldn't want to tech so just start practicing now.
>Go off stage for kills if you think they're in a vulnerable position, you'll take many stocks like this. A safe bet with most characters is to run off the stage instead of jump if they're recovering low, then you'll get better at more risky stuff down the line.
>Learn your character's kill moves. It's not always intuitive which moves will kill opponents at higher percentages so look it up for your character.

Yes. Earlier I messed around with Fox I practicing downtilt into back air. I typically do with with specific techniques like you can do run up shield into an aerial. Or reverse aerial rushes (RAR) I cant really explain the execution for this but it if very useful I recommend looking it up.

Now try not to flame to hard, but is gaming smash on a 55 inch as bad as i hear or is it like the 64/128 tick bullshit for CS

>go onto Online
>suddenly feel like I barely have any control over my character due to anxiety or input delay

Hahaha kill me.

Accept that you're gonna lose all the time even if you git gud. I consistently rank between top 8 and top 5 in locals and I can still have some days online where I can barely scrape a win or two and my local scene is not the biggest. I'm french Canadian and the Montreal scene has some of the best players in the world who rek my shit like I've never even touched the game before. tldr there's always gonna be someone better than you.

If you play online, prepare for disrespect, keep your ego in check and don't let it get to you. Many players use disrespect to throw off your play so try to stay stoic.

Look up in your area for a local scene. Local meets are THE optimal way to git gud and better players will coach you. Also LAN is aeons better than online for practice, but online is good practice also. Practice is practice.

Play the game before you get into technical shit. If you don't hone yourself first by conditioning yourself through simply playing the game, it's useless trying to figure out spacing, bait, footsies, etc. When I started I tried jusy that, looked up tutorials and tried hard to study and it didn't help at all.

Learn patience. By that I mean even if you rushdown, learn to know when the timing is right. Otherwise you're recklessly rushing like a retard and giving free punishes

Don't shield too much, don't roll too much, mix-up your options, don't always rely on one option.

Have fun. If you don't have fun anymore, take a break. I've burnt myself out a lot before I learned to take a break. Don't play if you're at the verge of punching your TV. I broke a controller in autistic rage once.

And finally, Pay attention. To the game, to your opponents and to yourself mentally. Your biggest obstacles are always gonna be mental. Giting gud is therapy. It teaches you to overcome personal issues.

Characters don't win tournaments, shitposter.
Rosterfags not allowed.

Mine is 50 and no problems, guess it depends on how far you sit away. Smash is 1080p so it's not as bad as some Switch games.

Don't forget to mention that you can't mash the right stick for attacks, it just shuts off if you try. So say if you have a character like Metaknight who has a combo of tilts you either have to time your presses accordingly or mash A after the first tilt. I wish I found out about this sooner

Three words: short hop. Learn to short hop consistently and on demand without using the aerial attack shortcut.

Yoshi, Fox, Lucina and Ike are the best characters for brainlets, mess around with them for a while until you feel comfortable with movement, then explore the rest of the roster.

Master tilt. Besides the damage-based variable physics, It's what differentiates Smash from fighting games more than anything. Learn to orient your character left/right without dashing by using tilt, the quicker and slighter the stick movement, the better. Buffer a tilt during moves (crucial for the side roll) to come out facing the direction you want. Tilt attacks are also generally safe and quick, and you can map them to the right stick if you want.

Apart from that, it's fighting game rules as standard. Don't waste movement. Stay calm and focused. Plug the holes in your defense. Block your opponents unsafe moves and punish them.

Attached: maxreousdefault.jpg (1280x720, 83K)

fox dies in like 3 hits

And most of all, as a beginner, stick and focus on your fundamentals. Even as an advanced player, your fundamentals are the pillars of your entire playstyle. Tons of player spend hours and hours practicing flowchart combos and looking up frame data, but have abyssmally SHIT fundamentals that make it that if they can't manage to touch you, they'll never plug their combos they've invested hundreds of hours in or will not be prepared for the fact you can DI out of them, air dodge or that they no longer work past certain % of damage, so even though they look like they are fucking pros when they get the combo, if you just wait for the right timing, you can stomp them with basic moves and no combos. Winning is not about looking like you know how to play, it's about sticking to what works.
You can't run before learning how to walk basically, so don't try too much to imitate pros because you'll get discouraged quick. Learn when to use your moves, when to block and not to block, when to roll and not to roll, WHERE to roll and where not to roll, etc. These are the crucial elements of being good.

So what? He's still extremelly noob friendly and is relatively hard to punish because of how fast he is so you can get away with far more mistakes than you would otherwise with more technical characters.
A glass canon is not a bad character.

Live in a small city (55k) so finding a good local scene will be tough, till now it's only been casual matches with friends and decided to pick up the game myself.

>Play the game
Willl spirits mode help?

What even are the fundamentals

Yeah pretty much
How do you usually deal with inputs, do you "spam" the controller with the inouts you want to do, or do you not have as many apm?
Does your (imagining GC) controller sound like guitar hero sesion or a 2048 sesion

Attached: mugi playing osu.png (930x618, 1.01M)

>What even are the fundamentals

Dash
Tilt
Smash
Specials
Block
Roll
Jump
Recovery
Fast falling

Attached: 0369-applause-zelda-link.jpg (900x1200, 129K)

Don't forget to fast fall. Press down in the air when the character is at their max height and you'll fall faster. Different feel for each character.
Also when you feel like you have the basic game mechanics down with one character, try out more. You tend to break some bad habits on one character if you play other.

>What even are the fundamentals.
I repeat:

When to shield and not to shield
Overreliance on shield gives free grabs to opponents and even I still struggle with this at times. Many players will love to run up and dash attack, but if you expect them to run up attack all the time, they'll catch on to you and grab instead. That is, if they are not idiots. Make sure you know they are stupid or not before relying on shield all the time. + some players have great shield pressure and shields break easily in this game. So use shield sparingly and WHEN YOU NEED TO.

When to roll and not to roll
Many noobs roll all around the stage and that has been so since the dawn of smash, they rely on rolling as their main means of spacing or escape. Granted it can be hard to deal against a roll abuser because they are fucking obnoxious as fuck, they become very predictable and easy to punish and, trust me, you are gonna get SHAT ON out there if you do it too often. That and the game has a penalty on rolling too much (each roll getting slower after a while). You have TONS of defensive and getaway movement options. Jumping, spotdodging, directional airdodging and, of course, simply running out of range rather than roll.

Do you know how to mix-up your recovery? If not, you're gonna get punished off stage all the time. Don't always recover from a single angle, learn to edgeguard, etc

Otherwise, learn to not jump too much because you're gonna get anti-air'd, don't always rely on the same move or same combo, don't spam, don't mash buttons, don't just run recklessly towards your enemy like a fucking idiot expecting your attack to work, learn spacing, the range of your moves, what moves you can use against your opponent in certain situations. Wall teching, floorteching and mixing up ledge recovery. shorthopping.

Imagine not playing melee

Attached: lo9l.jpg (125x111, 3K)

imagine not smelling like garbage

I speak as a meleefag when I say this.
Don't bring your elitist cancer into this thread, fucker. Let the guy get accustomed to Smash before he gets into the most technically deep title of the bunch.

>practice short hops constantly and can pull them off well
>go online
>somehow can't short hop to save my life
Fucking nerves man.

Attached: EBbF-JGWkAA3glc.jpeg.jpg (916x1024, 118K)

imagine not shitting in hot tubs

The first line here is actually quite true. I'm nothing special but I find I play best with characters whose kits I know well enough to do this.

Imagine not taking showers

Smash bros get in here QUICK

discord.gg/2JRDgUc

discord.gg/2JRDgUc

discord.gg/2JRDgUc

Attached: banjo.jpg (900x900, 78K)

Play tournaments or arenas if you aren't confident you won't send your main to a permanent low gsp hell. If you host an arena, you won't be kicked. If you play in someone else's arena and get kicked, just go find another one.

There is a tiny bit of GSP hell, but I've lost 4 million points and gained them back in the same day once.

Learn every character's recovery options, and the most predictable patterns they fall into. Learn what your character's best edge guarding tools are. Punish predictable recoveries first, and if your opponent is good enough to mix up or get around them, start adapting to their workarounds.

Learn how to fall. Smash is a floaty game, and being above your opponent is one of your most vulnerable states. Figure out how to land safely, which attacks you have that can put a hitbox around you to save you from threats below you, how many jumps your character has, what their fall speed is, etc.

Get comfortable with a few basic combos or strings that you can use, especially at low to mid percents, and commit them to muscle memory. Don't fall into using them flowchart style, but always have them on hand for when a punish presents itself.

Learn how to get up off the ledge. Know what options your opponent can reliably cover: roll, get up, get up attack, jump, and release. This is a really vulnerable state. If they're reading you and you can't get back on the stage, you need to change what you're doing. Don't pick the same option over and over.

Learn how to tech. Not teching can often let your opponent chase you down easily or jab lock you, and may result in free kills if they stage spike you.

Learn some safe options for the neutral that you can 'throw out' without endangering your life. Don't just go dash attacking your opponent's shield. Be able to default to your safer options when you are tempted to panic or aren't sure how to approach.

Learn how to DI. Again, this is a reflexive skill that can only help you, and if you don't know how to do it, many of your opponents' moves will become free combos. Your opponent will know if you're not DIing and abuse you.

Understand who has the lead and who needs to take risks. If it's the last stock and you're at 30% and your opponent is at 150%, play the midstage.

Do not watch your character. Watch your opponent.

Smash bros get in here QUICK-

discord.gg/2JRDgUc

discord.gg/2JRDgUc

discord.gg/2JRDgUc

Attached: banjo2.jpg (900x900, 260K)

Nice, I've never been that lucky if I lose a lot of points. It usually takes a while for me to get them back. I'm trying to get some fighters out of hell, but even my best aren't in elite. I think I was 4.2m last time I checked, but it's been a while. It's okay if I never get there as long as I'm improving.

Smash bros get in here QUICK'

discord.gg/2JRDgUc

discord.gg/2JRDgUc

discord.gg/2JRDgUc

Attached: banjo2.jpg (900x900, 260K)