Has a huge list of potential recruits with perks that aren’t that useful and are often flat-out bad

>Has a huge list of potential recruits with perks that aren’t that useful and are often flat-out bad
>You have to go out of your way or be INCREDIBLY bad to have someone actually die because of how forgiving the death system is
>Missions aren’t based on strategy or clever thinking, it’s literally “do things exactly like this or you will lose”
>Shocktroopers can’t move very far, meaning the unit meant for assaulting enemy positions often can’t get to them in a single turn
>Narrative is messy and all over the place in tone
>Fouzen: “This is an infiltration mission where the idea is to get through without being detected, so you’re free to loudly kill enemies and we sent you in with a tank”
>No way to gauge how far your units can move, meaning you could end up with a unit just outside of cover and have to waste another point to move them three feet
>Main character is corny as fuck, isn’t respected by his troops, and is a bad leader in general but gets rewarded and praised throughout the game
>Game lies to you about what you need to do (Armored car mission)

God I hate this fucking game.

Attached: CADF092A-A49B-475D-9BE8-8AE3FC80E1AF.jpg (616x353, 301K)

Other urls found in this thread:

valkyria.wikia.com/wiki/Command_Point
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Quit after the unnecessarily hard mega-tank mission. What a shit show.

>play the game larping squad ops moving behind tanks and moving as an unit at the start
>end up using alicia with awaken potential to complete missions in 1 turn

Attached: 1479685070467.jpg (1100x1464, 329K)

I called it quits after the mission where you have to stop the armored car. If you block the roads with the tank, the car just moves to the outskirts of the map and it takes forever to catch it, and you have to deal with all the troops they call in.

If you let it come down the street and try to chase it, it outruns the tank and you can’t do enough damage to stop it.

The only way to win is to put three shocktroopers at the first intersection it comes down and attack it as a group. Despite the game telling you to cut it off and get around it.

Middle is unironically the best and I absolutely despise weeb shit. Top and bottom both have the same issues, bottom just has text about the issues. Both take themselves too seriously for a game where Japanese teenagers with lances lead military units against the axis powers in WW2.

At least 2 looks like it's aware of how ridiculous and corny looking that garbage is. Imagine playing such a stupid game with a stupid concept and caring about how realistically it is presented.

>>No way to gauge how far your units can move, meaning you could end up with a unit just outside of cover and have to waste another point to move them three feet
Double digit iq

Try 2 and 3 on the psp, both are better and much fun

I’m assuming you mean the yellow bar at the bottom? Doesn’t tell you how far you can move. Would have been nice to have something like a circle around your unit showing how far they can move in any given direction with the current AP they have.

Why would you lie to this man?

You should be able to roughly estimate that in your head, brainlet.

Valid criticism of the game. I still find it fun, it's a niche tittle not for everyone.
>Shocktroopers can’t move very far, meaning the unit meant for assaulting enemy positions often can’t get to them in a single turn
Scouts move far and spot enemies, shocktroopers have higher defense and attack. What would be the point of scouts if other units could do the same job but better.

VC is beloved for what it could have been, friendo. Even its most ardent fans acknowledge its faults.

Why even use anything other than scouts

Scouts are still better at taking out units in most cases. They have better range and accuracy, and they can just hit and run if need be. You often have to use two or more points to get shocks in position to attack.

Shocktroopers are only really good for defending positions with reaction fire, they should have been called defenders.

Wrong picture

Attached: H2x1_NSwitch_FireEmblemThreeHouses_image1600w.jpg (1600x800, 262K)

>three shock troopers
You can do it with one

If you have the right orders. I didn’t.

Better question. What's the point of using anything other than scouts? They pretty much designed the game and all win conditions around scouts and everything is worse at everything compared to scouts. I don't think making other classes more viable would be a bad thing.

Side note: Why is it ok for random evasions against snipers who are aiming from across the map? That's some serious bull.

I did it with 1, no orders. You can control the same unit more than once per turn, you know.

>this game is too easy
>it doesn't require any thought
>OMG THIS MISSION IS TOO HARD!
>OMG WHY DOESN'T THE GAME HOLD MY HAND!
>*RAGEQUITS*
huh, that really makes one think.

Attached: 1512355167311.jpg (4480x2520, 2.8M)

Scouts will get raped by tanks, shocktroopers, and emplaced MGs. You use your other units to clear the path for them.

Scouts are redundant and fuck up all balance.

Cut out scouts and make players use Engineers if they want semi-rifle users with the longest running distance. They're actually balanced when put up against Shocktroopers and Snipers, so you'd have a balanced team.

The problem is how samey the missions are, move this distance, kill this guy, take this base, scout tends to be best unless there is a tank sitting there or something.

If the missions three attack waves a ton you, assaults in defensive positions would be critical, if they had high value long distance harassment snipers would be much more valuable, but mostly it's just the same shit, so you can just use scouts

*threw attack waves at you
Jesus Christ autocorrect

I think with certain weapons (armor penetrating automatics) they can do it in a single turn to boot, but it's been a long ass time

Yeah, VC has tons of wasted potential, the system is there, but the lack of good mission design kind ruins the game.

Attached: 2009-02-10-143039.jpg (1024x729, 106K)

That's exactly what he was saying, you can only roughly estimate it, so sometimes you end up running out an inch away from cover.

>”do this thing to complete the mission”
>”okay”
>”now do this other thing to complete the mission”
>”okay”
>”you failed the mission because you did everything we told you to do”
>”...”

All of this game's problems could be fixed by fixing the map design.

Got over halfway through and it just became "everything's fucking far away even with midpoints so there's literally never any point to use anything but a scout to run"

I wanted to like this game so bad, but I really don't understand the hype. I've never seen map design kill a game THIS thoroughly.

There's nothing wrong with that, it's part of the challenge.

brainlet

Swapping Shock Trooper and Engineer movement ranges would solve a lot of the annoyance. I agree though, the game is at its best with smaller maps.

Sounds like the Army to me...

>>Main character is corny as fuck, isn’t respected by his troops, and is a bad leader in general but gets rewarded and praised throughout the game
He's a good strategist and tactician that gets his squad through thick and thin.
Would you be happy to serve under someone like that or someone that behaves more like your ideal "great leader" but gets his soldiers killed?
Or are you suggesting the protag should've been great in every single way with no flaws or quirks?

Attached: 1414600250750.gif (220x212, 2.57M)

Following you reasoning middle it's still the shittiest, being aware to being shit not made it adapt to a non ww2

>thinks the middle looks best when it's just generic japanese school kids with tanks in the background
>in games about soldiers fighting a war
Your taste is in the dumpster.

>Swapping Shock Trooper and Engineer movement ranges would solve a lot of the annoyance.

Holy shit, this.
If you use Engineers in their intended role (support), they’ll never be too far from the tank or other troops, which means they won’t need to move around that much except to follow those units.

They still need to clear mine fields and repair bunkers and shit, but it might work out

The gameplay is SO slow. That's my problem with the game. Just boring as fuck, constantly waiting to zoom in and zoom out of each character's perspective.

>VC series officially dead since sega can't market for shit
>same with tons of other sega games like Justice
>sakura wars is the next victim of sega's incompetence

Attached: ss-057.jpg (720x486, 52K)

Take your Aderall.

The game needed more missions like the night one where you can take like only three units and you have to sneak along the map to destroy the tanks. Really, the core of the game basically being "capture the flag" hurt it a lot.

Reducing their movement makes little sense since they're rarely used anyway. You pretty much only have 1 and they function like shitty scouts that can clear mines, repair tanks and heal allies a little better. Most of the time they just hug a tanks as or some shit.

>thought the game was too easy
>still having some fun though
>find out about equipping new weapons at the 2nd to last mission
seriously glad i didn't know about them any sooner

Attached: 1551977603989.jpg (416x535, 100K)

One of his soldiers constantly argues and insults his tank driver (who is also his sister) because she’s a Darcsen. He never does anything to stop that from happening, often times straight-up ignoring it as it happens right in front of him.

Now, you can argue that he shouldn’t let personal feelings or relationships get in the way of the mission, but letting something like that go unchecked sets a bad example and shows he isn’t willing to put his foot down and be a leader.

On top of that, most of his exploits beyond the early bridge mission aren’t done by him, it by his squad. He doesn’t even do anything in the armored car mission, and yet he’s the one who gets awarded the Medal of Honor.

Meant for

everything, except for the first 2, is all bullshit.

Attached: 66543.jpg (480x380, 60K)

Maybe take some Testosterone or something if you don't find this game extremely gay lol

Well, go on then, explain why.

What about 4? Is it better or worse?

>One of his soldiers constantly argues and insults his tank driver (who is also his sister) because she’s a Darcsen. He never does anything to stop that from happening, often times straight-up ignoring it as it happens right in front of him.
Because he knows telling people that are obviously stubborn "no, you're wrong" will get them nowhere and only start arguments. They already clearly have issues with authority.
Did it slip your mind how he noticed this early on and decided to convince them with actions instead of words?

The point of his character is also that he isn't a great leader at all, but he has a mind for military tactics and strategy.

>On top of that, most of his exploits beyond the early bridge mission aren’t done by him, it by his squad. He doesn’t even do anything in the armored car mission, and yet he’s the one who gets awarded the Medal of Honor.

Did it slip your mind that the one controlling all of the soldiers throughout the game is Welking (in the form of you, the player)?
This isn't C&C where you play as some faceless commander controling the troops, Welkin is the one doing it in-world.

Basically the same, it has a new indirect fire unit (some kind of mortar), but it doesn't shake stuff up much

>What about 4? Is it better or worse?
It's better. More refined, more interesting missions, some new stuff to play around with, etc.

4 is the best game in the series, but some prefer the edgey full-on anime of 3.

I really don't get why everyone says huge maps are great.

I think the series was far better on smaller maps since it wouldn't take forever to get your shocktroopers (or lord help you, your lancers) into position.

Both

4 is better except the inclusion of bosses is kind of disruptive, like I don't enjoy playing smear the queer every other turn because if I don't this chick with a crossbow will annihilate someone every turn

I want to have sex with Aika.

>Has a huge list of potential recruits with perks that aren’t that useful and are often flat-out bad
>You have to go out of your way or be INCREDIBLY bad to have someone actually die because of how forgiving the death system is
>Missions aren’t based on strategy or clever thinking, it’s literally “do things exactly like this or you will lose”
>Narrative is messy and all over the place in tone
>Fouzen: “This is an infiltration mission where the idea is to get through without being detected, so you’re free to loudly kill enemies and we sent you in with a tank”
>No way to gauge how far your units can move, meaning you could end up with a unit just outside of cover and have to waste another point to move them three feet
>Main character is corny as fuck, isn’t respected by his troops, and is a bad leader in general but gets rewarded and praised throughout the game

God I love this fucking game.

Autism engineer girl is the best girl.

Except he didn’t convince them of shit. His plan got them to shut up and follow his orders, it did nothing to stop the infighting between Rosie and Isara, which was the issue.

He should have put his foot down and said something to the effect of “you don’t have to like the people you’re fighting with, but you are going to respect them, and they are going to respect you. If you have a problem with that, find another squad. We have plenty of recruits waiting back at base.”

The fact that he didn’t do that shows he isn’t willing to discipline his troops, which means they will respect him less.

>tfw you use the drunk assault chick because she cute
>her perk causes her to shit the bed randomly during her turn
>later on she becomes a combat goddess when you complete her story and her perk changes into some kind of rape bonus
Feels good man

in the first game they're not melee weapons, they're launchers.

VC3=VC4>VC1>VC2

Attached: 1545737121033.png (400x301, 126K)

>Except he didn’t convince them of shit. His plan got them to shut up and follow his orders,
He flat out proved to them that they were wrong about him and that he is actually competent. Do you suffer from poor memory?

>it did nothing to stop the infighting between Rosie and Isara, which was the issue.

Ok, what should he have done. Told them to stop fighting, that's an order? Are you so demented that you truly believe that would've solved anything? If you order someone to "stop being racist" in what dimension would the situation improve? Fuck, it might actually get worse.

>He should have put his foot down and said something to the effect of “you don’t have to like the people you’re fighting with, but you are going to respect them, and they are going to respect you. If you have a problem with that, find another squad. We have plenty of recruits waiting back at base.”

You have very clearly never been around legit racists and don't know how they react to being told what to do and think. You're flat out naive.
In any case, point still stands. He's not supposed to be a great leader because he's a flawed character. If you want perfect characters go watch Star Wars and root for Rey.

The lances in 1 aren't melee weapons, they are oversized Panzerfausts.

Attached: HandTool.jpg (600x500, 261K)

This picture pisses me off to no end because ironically melee classes got nerfed to literal shit tier and are barely a part of the game and the amount of enemy lancers you encounter throughout the story is less than 20

>huge roster of characters
>no point of using any except thw story relevant ones cause they give extra action points and generally have better skills

Too bad they didn't put an anti material rifle in the game, those were pretty cool

If someone has enough of a problem with someone that they start an argument every time they’re around that other person? Get them out. I don’t care if it doesn’t change their mind, they’re a liability and a detriment to the integrity of the squad.

There’s a dozen other people waiting in the barracks to take your spot. Fuck off and find another unit.

VC3 is still king.

>huge roster of characters
>none of them matter to the story at all, to the point where no one reacts if any of them actually die

>can only be full on serious war game or completely wacky anime game no middle ground
VC1 is the best one precisely because it manages to find the perfect mix between the two.

It's like Xcom or Darkest Dungeon.
Only the characters have character.

You get attached to them if you're not a heartless monster.

Did that new tl user said he was working on for vc3 ever come out?

Attached: An anon's vauge promises about a better and more complete translation that will pop out eventua (1175x699, 53K)

VC4 done that seriousness/goofyness mix way better than 1 did, though

The only really goofy thing in VC1 was the pig. Everything else was serious, but with levity. VC4 just flips back and forth between zany and melodramatic.

>sunny beach vacation chapter
>followed immediately by a chapter about concentration camps
>balance

I haven't seen that guy post in months.

Attached: gusurg f.png (944x535, 721K)

Bestgirl, with Alexis in 2 being close second

Attached: Wendy!.png (777x587, 608K)

Why did you have to remind me?

>XCOM
Makes sense that no one would care since you really wouldn’t expect a scientist or engineer to really have a connection with foot soldiers. Plus, if someone dies in a mission, it actually can effect the other members of that unit. In VC, if someone goes down, you only lose that person for two turns at most, then you can bring them back with no consequences.

>Darkest Dungeon
Again, sort of makes sense, since the person in charge sees everyone as expendable. I actually find DD much more enjoyable if you only recruit one of each class and try to get through the game with them.

Come on dude, spoilers.

Attached: 1538712176438.png (1920x1080, 3.39M)

Bad Game=VC3=VC4>VC1>VC2

Fuck.
Also spoil that shit, user.

Attached: __alicia_melchiott_senjou_no_valkyria_1_and_etc_drawn_by_baiguiyu__9844fe102bfbdf766d3a77f2b78d7c0c. (707x1000, 886K)

It doesn't fully fix some of the long standing issues with the series (ranking system) but thanks to some tweaks to the classes and the way missions are designed, scouts are far less essential and the other classes actually fulfill their roles. Definitely the better game for many reasons imo.

>Only medal/achievement I need is the Splintered Horn
>Decide to sacrifice Cezary since he's a prick
>Feel bad about it for a moment
>He curses you with his dying breath

Seriously, fuck Cezary.

Attached: Cezary_Regard.png (200x329, 62K)

Because the huge maps actually had some design, while small ones just copied the same few small maps in different order

I hate that I gave up on the second to last mission. I couldn't figure out how to do enough damage to him before he killed Welkin.

i used cheats to beat the game because i couldn't stand its absolute bullshit

Attached: homepage-d2e1124bbd.png (1200x630, 21K)

this is when i stopped playing too

is VC 4 better than this?

Best girl taking the stage, er... thread.

Attached: 2464684286.jpg (1907x1005, 999K)

*blocks your path*

Attached: 1540425569594.jpg (1918x1078, 514K)

>Beat VC1
>Beat VC2
>Beat VC3
>Beat VC4
>All post game content as well
>Want more but there's nothing like it
FUCK

Attached: 1536885040119.jpg (947x1280, 145K)

Oh there is, just Japan-Only and you'll never be able to find it unless you understand and type Japanese.

OP you casual fucking faggot
Which one? Three missions come to mind-

The battle against Alexander and Batomys, where you need to destroy a fuckkhuge tank, a mission which is fairly straightforward-shoot walls down, tank destroys walls, tank shows weakspots, destroy weakspots, destroy tank

The princess kidnapping mission, where the game outright tells you several times to not shell the tank because you need the princess alive, not as a paste

The last before mission, where the captain will tell you that the camps repair Jaegar's tank, so you need to seize them first, which is fairly easy to do

This is what made me dislike VC1. Literally any strategy that isn't scout rush will result in your troops dying and losing the mission. It's just a huge game of trial and error, any creative thinking is brutally punished.

>Best girl
>Loses attack power for doing her fucking job of rushing the enemy
>Negative modifier if she's anywhere near the best shocktrooper in the game
>yet another tsundere attentionwhore cunt
Really now

>any creative thinking is brutally punished
The fuck are you on about? You can easily decimate every single enemy unit in the game, and 20 turns is a fuckhuge amount of time to do it. The only thing that depends on your speed is rank and you dont need to give a fuck about that anyway

Chiara is cold. What do you do?

Attached: VC4 (17).jpg (3840x2160, 1.3M)

>(Armored car mission)
>Armored
>car
>mission

It tells you not to shell the car because it’ll kill the princess. Okay, makes sense. The game also tells you to block the road to stop the car and box it in. But if you do that, the car goes around the map and becomes almost impossible to chase down with anything but scouts, which get shredded by the machine gun it has.

The mega-tank mission tells you exactly what you need to do and it works; Drop the walls to force the tank to fire, climb up and destroy the radiators one by one, then destroy the tank itself.

Anyone have webms of vc3?

>The game also tells you to block the road to stop the car and box it in
That's your brainlet assumption, and it's stupid as fuck. The game will tell you that you can move your tank to block off the road, so that you can delay the car and buy yourself some time. In addition, the tight spots are clearly given in the map, you are meant to lead the tank into one of them and have shocktroopersvwaiting nearby do the job, not scouts.
Even if that's not the case, by then all your units will be level 7 at least, so you'll get damage boost order( demolition boost is from level 8) which, on Rosie, can end that mission in one fucking turn

There are plenty of viable approaches if your goal is just to win; it's not hard at all to slaughter everything with whatever unit types you prefer using. The problem is that mission performance is graded purely on speed, and scout-rushing is often the only way to get the highest rank.

If you block the road, the car won’t even come down it. Which means you have to either let it come down the street into the intersection and ambush it with shocks, or block the street and rush it with shocks, which will also get shredded by the machine gun.

I know how to beat the mission, I already have, but the information the game gives you on what to do and the actual way you have to beat it are completely different from each other.

>Which means you have to either let it come down the street into the intersection and ambush it with shocks
That is exactly what you're supposed to do, block off one point, while moving shocks to another intersection they are close to. The enemy tank will move towards that intersection literally roll into an ambush. You're supposed to use your tank to lead it into a trap

I want to see you play VC4 if you think Jaeger's mission was hard.

>wtf why doesn't the game tell me exactly what to do all the time!

Attached: 1511147516815.jpg (1920x1080, 2.11M)

Scouts are only in trouble if they get hit. They can outrange anything that's not a sniper, and they can kill nearly everything with help from orders.

BANG BANG BABY

You can do it in a single turn by using the armor-piercing command on a single shocktrooper and running them behind the car.

Attached: 1564161463573.jpg (600x482, 95K)

Are zoomers ITT unironically unable to finish Valkyria Chronicles without difficulty? It's such an easy fucking game that I can't believe you niggers would struggle with it, especially as all of the conversation post-release was about how easy it is to cheese the game and get A+++ ratings for every mission by using scouts.

Requiring 2 CP to use the tank was a mistake.

It was fixed in later entries at least

Take her to warmth and fug her while choking her to death for blowing up my tank so many times.

>you can't just scout your way through the 4th game, it requires more strategy!
>scout my way through the majority of the game

>ywn be a scientist given ample funds and the freedom to do what the fuck you want so you brainwash 2 qties to be your cocktroopers

Attached: Dv8JUi-UYAAUzQ6.jpeg.jpg (680x667, 45K)

Haven't completed VC4 yet but i've used more than scouts this time around. That and tanks.

This, it got to the point where I just never used it unless I had to because a fucking scout can do it's job better.

I feel like scouts have more of a utility role in VC4. Sure, they're still deadly, but their ability to ferry units across the map with Direct Command is the most useful. Plus VC4 has other viable offensive options like the Hafen, which rapes everything in its path, and mortars, which straight up invalidate the existence of lancers.
If you want to talk broken, though, look no further than the APC.

I didn't even realize at first just how game breaking orders are.

Fair enough, but I don't see why they can't have smaller maps with more detailed and varied designs in the future.

The way it is now, the optimal way to play is cheesing the game with scouts and orders as ranking is based solely on turn count (at least 80% based on turn count).

While ranking doesn't really matter, I think it's kind of poor design to reward you for not really using any strategy other than abusing scouts.

>you can't just scout your way through the 4th game, it requires more strategy!
>end up using the scouts as taxis

Attached: BaMN6TQ.jpg (960x960, 213K)

You didn't even list most of the issues the game has:

>Health regenerates every turn.
>You have an endless supply of healing Ragnaid.
>You have an endless supply of ammo.
>Dying has no real consequence. You can resurrect fallen allies simply by touching them, which brings them back into the same battle, at no cost.
>The ranking system punishes any tactic other than 'scout rush', depriving you of XP and money (not that it really matters, with how easy the game is).
>The cover system is very simplistic and protects you from all sides, even if an enemy attacks you from behind.
>The line of sight system is very simplistic, the map shows where enemies are even if your characters couldn't possibly see them from the spot they're positioned at.
>Orders feel like cheat codes and make the game even more of a joke, bestowing huge advantages on your units and huge disadvantages on enemy units.
>You can turn a single character into a one-man army by constantly spending CP on them. The enemy cannot do the same.
>Enemy stats are much lower than what the stats of player units, and enemy A.I. is artificially made stupid. This is not speculation, the wiki confirms it: valkyria.wikia.com/wiki/Command_Point
>Quote from the wiki: "The Valkyria Chronicles AI has some odd behaviours regarding Command Points; most obviously, the AI seems unable to control any unit more than twice in a single turn, no matter how advantageous it would be for them to do so. The AI also frequently uses CP on units which are not engaged in combat, simply having them patrol at their current location"

All these factors all add up to make VC incredibly forgiving. I can't even imagine how you could possibly lose a battle unless Welkin's tank gets destroyed (the possibility of which can be prevented rather easily by simply positioning the back of the tank against a wall or other piece of scenery).

Attached: 1537957063961.jpg (1920x1080, 387K)

I powered my way through the whole game. Can't say I'm a fan of it. Too much cinematic trash everywhere. I don't get Japan's obsession with putting a cutscene into every single part of the game. FFS. Not to mention the whole darksen deal pissed me off.

>these guys are actually innocent
>genocided into oblivion
>our country's response? "lol dude just forgive them, the darksens deserved it lol :)))))"

Should've razed the whole damn country with Valkyrir mode Alice. This whole "turn the other cheek" BS just resulted in the exact same crap happening in subsequent games.

>CP

Attached: 00c43907.png (986x995, 37K)

>>You have an endless supply of healing Ragnaid.
>>You have an endless supply of ammo.
Changing this alone would fix Scout rushing.

Well, 3 out of the 4 take place during the same war.

The main reason scouts were so broken in VC1 was that, with the exertion of a few missions, you insta-win when you cap the enemy CP. VC4 did a lot to mitigate the power of scouts by varying the win conditions quite a bit, and by making mortar reaction fire a considerable threat to infantry in general.

>>Has a huge list of potential recruits with perks that aren’t that useful and are often flat-out bad
yes, build the squad
>>You have to go out of your way or be INCREDIBLY bad to have someone actually die because of how forgiving the death system is
So it's too easy that's-
>>Missions aren’t based on strategy or clever thinking, it’s literally “do things exactly like this or you will lose”
wait what? So you think it's too hard and specific now?
>>Shocktroopers can’t move very far, meaning the unit meant for assaulting enemy positions often can’t get to them in a single turn
It's a good thing you can play the game over multiple turns
>>Narrative is messy and all over the place in tone
No more than most JRPG
>>Fouzen: “This is an infiltration mission where the idea is to get through without being detected, so you’re free to loudly kill enemies and we sent you in with a tank”
No one will detect you if all the detectors are dead
>>No way to gauge how far your units can move, meaning you could end up with a unit just outside of cover and have to waste another point to move them three feet
Stop fucking around and get there. Also there's a gauge, jackass
>>Main character is corny as fuck, isn’t respected by his troops, and is a bad leader in general but gets rewarded and praised throughout the game
Because he gets shit done
>>Game lies to you about what you need to do (Armored car mission)
Not at all.

3/10 bait

>ranking system is bullshit
Agreed. If there were multiple conditions to get A ranks, such as speed OR completely annihilating the enemy forces, that would make sense
They did take this into account, in that you get bonuses depending on the number of tanks and aces you kill in the skirmish, but these bonuses are so utterly pathetic, especially the early ZM kar guns which cant aim for shit and have such garbage range that units cant even use them for cover fire properly

>He curses you with his dying breath
To be fair, you did set him up to die, its not like you didnt deserve it

I played the game before reading too much about it on Yea Forums, I thought orders were supposed to be some useless buff and never used them, the game was hard, but fun.

Don't know about DD but in xcom thenamed characters are on few select missions and are tied to the win condition.
In VC its weird cause you can and no reason not to have a squad of just those story characters on every mission.
My biggest issue with VC is how action points are shared between you troops, making using just one (Alicia) per turn viable and often the best strategy

>the AI seems unable to control any unit more than twice in a single turn
Isn't this so you don't get one of your units gunned down instantly on your first turn and every turn after that by zerg rushes?

I forget which mission it was, but I quit exactly when they introduced black armored imps that can direct sniper shots to the head like it's absolutely nothing, and the entire enemy force was just that. I then realized I'm not supposed to fight anymore and just run so I completely lost any interest in the game from then on.

while i like the overall game mechanics the mission and map design is pretty horrid. its basically a "where the hell do i go" NES game dressed up a tactics games. you just do random and nonsensical things to complete missions.

>Darkest Dungeon
>Again, sort of makes sense, since the person in charge sees everyone as expendable. I actually find DD much more enjoyable if you only recruit one of each class and try to get through the game with them.

THIS GUY GETS IT

Attached: 1514394653173.png (720x741, 163K)

darkest dungeon has the unforgivable mechanic of letting you over level your fighters but blocking you from using fighters if they have too high a level to take on story missions.

How many of you would take the Empire's side if they made a VC with 3H style setup?

Attached: 142149801237.jpg (3065x2100, 993K)

shit, it's as if the game is fucked at the core. honestly, just don't let you command the same unit twice without special orders or some shit.

>still no HD ports of II and III

Attached: 60154479_1166975776837697_6662584751112585216_n.jpg (623x414, 24K)

Yes, that is the biggest gay of the game if you try to play it with each class being a person, but thankfully you can fix that easily with mods. I usually compromise by never taking more than one of each class to an expedition

Attached: 1532321036202.png (488x626, 223K)

Man, we'd be getting so much shitposting if the Selvaria clone was anything like Edelgard. Real monkey paw shit.

Attached: 014.jpg (1920x1080, 240K)

they already fixed scout rushing. split maps are superior.

>where Japanese teenagers with lances lead military units against the axis powers in WW2.
What are you even smoking? I don't know about VC3 or 4, but in VC1 your troops are almost equally divided in half in between adults and teenagers, with the former more often than not being Lancers, Engineers and Shocktroopers, while the latter are mostly scouts and snipers. Also they're guerrilla, not part of the official army, despite taking direct orders from them.
The whole appeal of VC1 to me was that it was a silly setting that takes itself somewhat seriously.

I wish I didn't suck at Grand Strategy. Love threads about it though

No joke, I barely remember this game but I remember I quit here too. I think they were trying to get me to throw grenades in slots or something? It was a fucking joke. I actually look fondly on this series but that was the worst fucking stage. I actually straight up abandoned the game after figuring it out. Absolutely shattered my faith and goodwill in the developers.

How exactly can you balance the ranking system? Fulfill certain objectives that's not just speed? As it is right now with VC4, rushing and ignoring most enemies is the best way unless the goal is to rout. Also orders are broken as shit.
>Didn't use orders as much until you get the last one which is at the end of the game
>you can take out an armored super weapon on 1-2 turns with just one unit + stacking orders + Weak Spot order

Attached: 16289416_p0.jpg (750x750, 210K)

i think you are confusing this with something else. Grand Strategy games have you manage entire countries (economy, politics, military, etc) VC is a unit-based tactics game that has a novel real time movement system.

is Edelgard that bad? I haven't played 3H yet

>valkyria
>grand strategy
what are you smoking? dick?

Should I bother with the first game, or just go straight to 4?

>killing best girl in a cutscene after all the shit she went through im not talking about selvaria

I will never, ever not be mad

Isara really did deserve better. And maybe even adopted onii-chan's dick

yes

She's madly in love with your character and is kind of the main love interest. She's also the main villain and (eventual) empress of the evil Red empire that invades the Blue kingdom. Her goals are pretty noble, enough so that some of the goodguys come to admire her and try to carry them out after she dies, but her methods are shit. In VC terms, her personality is like if somebody combined Maximilian with Selvaria. She's cold, taciturn, ruthless, and commanding, but has a hidden nice side for you. She even has the whole "experimented on as a child due to her unique heritage turning her into a super soldier" (and turning her hair white).

Attached: 135315208.jpg (1600x900, 219K)

>yes, build the squad
There’s no point. Non of the characters besides the main ones offer anything else that another person couldn’t.

>So you think it’s too hard and specific now?
A strategy or tactics game should be about the player coming up with their own idea to win, not following a predestined path.

>It’s a good thing you can play the game over multiple turns.
Still doesn’t excuse the fact that your ASSAULT units can’t move to attack worth shit.

>Also there’s a gauge jackass.
Which doesn’t do anything except give you a rough estimate of how far you can move.

Edelgard doesn't want to be a soldier or empress and begrudges her super powered heritage. She bemoans the fact that she can't just kick back and enjoy life. She only embraces her role as a means to an end. Selvaria, on the other hand, only sees herself as a tool of war for Max. They're quite different if you peel back the layers.

Her death was bullshit and convoluted for many reasons, I quit the game after that part out of pure anger

3 houses has garbage writing

Play 1 for sure. It’s cheaper and gives you a very good idea of what 4 will be like.

4 is basically a rebalanced 1 with an extra class, vehicle type, and varied objectives.

>someone gets shot
>the medic who can always save people, even people who have taken direct hits from tank shells and lancers, can’t save them

play 1, 3 and 4

2's good, too.

Then again, her death is why Alicia won the welkinbowl and was required to redeem Rosie who at the time, was a bit of a cunt

I just hate the drops grind.

Okay, I'll give you that one.

Still a fun game, but the credit system didn't need to exist.

>main character doesn’t even cry at his sister dying
Fuck Welkin, even >Claude from 4 is better

>what is gameplay and cutscene separation

Who's the most autistic MC and why is it Kurt?

Attached: 1547258444985.webm (1280x720, 1.79M)

>enemy commander standing out in the open
>shoot the unarmed girl instead

kurt is based

I had a decent amount of fun with the game, but it's definitely flawed.
The story was a real disappointment. Conceptually it's great but the writing was simply not up to the task. And it has some really retarded plot points like the characters not wanting to use valkyrie powers for some reason even though they have literally zero downsides while being insanely powerful. Ironically Valkyria Chronicles would have been better without the valkyria.

The first half of it is fine, the second half where that bitch can snipe you from across the map is really annoying.

Not gonna lie, I thought they were about to get shot by a sniper or a stonk.

It was honestly hilarious how little Welkin gave a shit about his sister even barely reacting to her death yet screamed about a woman he knew for a couple months.

>Characters have flaws as well as perks
You mean like any well-designed character? Learn to deal with the flaws, you dipshit.
>Too easy
This was not my experience at all. The game can and will fuck you up for one or two mistakes.
>Poorly designed
Again, not my experience at all. Many times I had to think long and hard to figure out the best way to approach or to get myself out of a bad situation.
>Shocktroopers are slow
Here's an idea: you capture a typically less well fortified minor base closer to the main base, then deploy your sock troopers to attack the main base/objective are.
>Narrative is messy
I agree, but I don't give a shit about narrative anyway.
>Bad stealth
I agree with this, too. It was just an avoid the spotlight mission where avoiding the spotlights didn't matter much. This could have been much better. It could have been more like that mission where what's-there-names had to sneak around at night because what's-her-name was injured.
>I'm bad at the game.
Get good. I had no trouble with gauging distance at all.
>Bad characters
I agree.
>False or misleading information.
I don't remember a lot of details from that mission but I don't remember having any trouble understanding what I had to do. Wasn't it just "don't destroy the car and block it's path as much as possible"?

Fuck Darscens and fuck janitors too

I don't normally defend beach episodes but you're talking about an optional cutscene-only chapter that you have to pay to unlock. The player doesn't watch it immediately before Fouzen, it's just placed there chronologically.

To say you're being disingenuous is an understatement.

Is VC3 as edgy as people make it out to be?

Yep, the magical princesses ruined it to me, game was better as an anime not WW2

The biggest problem i have with it is that it’s not like in 3 where individual character have a skill tree.

The Edelweiss can be super useful but I almost never saw the point of using the Shamrock. It's just flat-out worse.

protagonist wasn't corny, he was just autistic for nature

There need to be way more factors to a rank.
>number of enemies killed (killing all enemies gives a bonus, not killing anyone also gives a bonus)
>number of units KO'd/dead
>number of checkpoints taken
>number of turns (reduced weight but still relevant)
Could also introduce optional goals/challenges that boost rank.

>Fuck Darscens
I wish.

Attached: 068.jpg (2354x3487, 2.26M)

Chestlets, out

VC2 and 3 have massively better gameplay than 1 and 4. I'm glad I ignored the "VC2 is bad" meme and played it for myself, any idiot that thinks they need to grind in that game is either completely retarded or shit at any kind of strategy game.

I didn't really need to grind, I just wanted to experiment with the different classes.

Flame thrower equiped Shamrock win the mission "Alicia went a full valkyria-retard and then shit herself and you have to defend the camp from two-side attacks" for me. It was burning the living shit out of reinforcements coming from north, after the lancer destroyed this fucking mortar tank here. This way the rest of the squad was free to absolutely rape anything comming form south part of the map.

It was also usefull as a mobile cover in the mission when you have to take back Welkin's home town and there are couple of enemy snipers covering the approach route.

No. The premise is retarded though.

The larger maps create a sense of scale and make better use of variance in terrain. Crossing open terrain is a constant challenge in military tactics and provides some of the best and most thrilling moments in VC1 and 4 while being an aspect of combat that is totally lost in VC2 and 3.