Why the fuck was this game's plot so pessimistic?

Why the fuck was this game's plot so pessimistic?

Attached: SG Logo.jpg (204x128, 6K)

The parts where girls actually get killed caught me offguard desu. Or any of the "villain" characters' story lines really.

Why should a story about world ending evil be happyB

How so?

Filia is terminally ill, I believe

Painwheel is secretly Filia's best friend who got abducted after school one day

Cerebella is a hitman for the mob

Peacock was in a fatal accident that warped her brain

Ms. Fortune was in a gang of thieves until she got caught and cut into pieces.

Not sure about the nurse

Parasoul is fucked up somehow and she's missing on of her eyes.

dont know about the rest of the characters but I imagine it's also morbid in some way

The Skull Heart is a Monkey's Paw. There is no wish that won't backfire.

>Peacock
>Accident
Peacock was straight-up murdered, dismembered, and her eyes gouged out. Marie is using the Skull Heart to avenge her.

because they wanted it to be.

>Not sure about the nurse
Her entire clan was killed or some shit like that.

yeah....

Attached: 1565064730370.jpg (1280x1261, 152K)

who the fuck is playing fighting games for the story?

>Fortune gets killed in one ending
>Fortune gets turned into an infinite blood drink for Eliza
Being Nadia is suffering

Attached: 02_msfortune_1p.png (334x263, 59K)

Skullgirls is pretty macabre behind the art style and sexy girls.

Because we never got a True Path of the main story cause Lab Zero got screwed out of budget.

Big Band is literally walking around in a iron lung mech suit after being the target of a mob hit by corrupt cops

Squigly is a zombie brought back by the skull girl after being assassinated by that same mob, and Leviathan is the only thing keeping her from being a mindless monster

which they probably wouldn't have if it had been made a main stage game at that one EVO

Beowulf is the answer

I'm upset this isn't a gif

The threads of Fate were mistake

Threads of Fate?

Everyone has a sad backstory and most of the characters have a Monkey's Paw ending or regular Bad End in other character's endings. The only characters that really escape this are Peacock/Ms. Fortune, who have a little character growth and end up killing mobsters/moving on to live with their new adoptive family respectively. That said,

>Ms. Fortune's entire family/gang gets killed after a heist gone wrong, Fortune herself is tortured, cut to pieces, and dumped in a river
>Filia was a Medici heiress, gets infected by Sampson who is slowly hollowing out her body. Her best friend gets abducted and experimented on horribly. Her ending saves Painwheel but she'll eventually turn into the next Skullgirl
>Parasoul's mother was the previous Skullgirl, and she had to train her entire life to kill the next one. Her ending is wishing that her younger sister will never become the Skullgirl, which dooms her to turning into it instead. She has to now train her sister to kill her.
>Painwheel was a normal schoolgirl until a mad scientist kidnapped her and filled her with parasites that causes her constant agony.
>Peacock was an orphan who got killed by Medici gangsters. She had her eyes gouged out and her limbs chopped off. Another scientist managed to save her body, but the trauma permanently warped her mind.
>Marie was Peacock's friend at the orphanage, similarly killed, but revived by the Skullheart. She kills gangsters, but the power of the Skullheart eventually bends her to the Trinity's will, so she has to be put down.
>Valentine's ninja gang gets killed by Double, and she's forced to work with her afterwards.
>Cerebella is forever the pawn of a Medici don that manipulates her love for his own gain.

Playing the villains is even worse. Eliza's ending has her turning Fortune into a blood-fountain slave, kills Cerebella, and takes Filia as a kind of prize. No one has a good time in this universe.

Except Beowulf

And Beowulfs s tiry us basically just a retelling of the old English story of the same name except L0 made theirs an even bigger loser and fraud.

valentine is an evil nurse complicit in experiments on humans and also some sort of assassin ninja

Its a fighting game. The fuck did you expect?

>Robofortune enfing fucking genocides the entire world with mechas

That's how real life works

lol

Attached: 1561390905619.png (300x300, 202K)

Beowulf's story was great, though. He finds out he was a sham, moves on from it, and then has a rematch against the dude he got a fake win against and beats him. Then he becomes a star on a kids show. It's great.

I want the gif too but it's all I got

Attached: MAHVEL.gif (500x395, 142K)

I honestly don't have a problem with it other than him playing second fiddle to another character for his own ending. He still starts off and ends better than any other character as far as his place in the world which is something.

>I honestly don't have a problem with it other than him playing second fiddle to another character for his own ending.
This is actually hilarious because R. Mika's ending in Street Fighter Alpha 3 is her playing second fiddle to Zangief in her own ending. Maybe it was intentional.

Cerebella's was kind of the fuckiest for me because her solution to get that "I'm unkillable stone" from Ms Fortune was to compress her like a diamond into a new one.

Attached: file.png (1920x1080, 1.02M)

FUCK CEREBELLA AND FUCK ELIZA

Attached: Fortune.jpg (360x360, 51K)

>why is a game called skullgirls so morbid?

Attached: yourwaifu.jpg (320x320, 15K)

And this is canonically the purest girl in the setting too. Though admittedly it's based on the standards of an evil trinity of goddesses.

Also I think Mike Z's favoritism was writing that part of the story

Because the game is fucking cringe and the fan base are reddit fags

>morbid
More like morbidly obese lmao

Because Lovecraftian, get it? Little innsmouth get it? insignificance of man, get it? niggerman, get it?

Attached: lovecraftian.jpg (449x449, 90K)

Best boi

>rebuilt to fight the skullgirl
>has to kill her best friend to save her from herself
>goes on a murder spree for fun afterwards
The cartoon motif she has really glosses over how fucking mutilated she was

What other Lovecraft references are there besides the Innsmouth stage?

What was Robo-Fortune's ending?

most of the SG world is built on the insignificance of man horseshit that lovecraftfags love to circlejerk about

Why wasn't Beowulf allowed to have his own ending without getting shown up by an obnoxious Mary Sue?

>Beowolf is the only character who got a good ending
Why is he so based?

She wasnt actually murdered. In the skullgirls mobile game theres an origin story for characters and in her origin she is found when big band and valentine are raiding a mafia stronghold. The find her eyeless and armless and valentine even thinks of putting her out of her misery. Patricia wanted to fight so that's how she got taken in to big bands care and to dr avian.

She's pure all right
pure shit

Attached: 1542327852573.png (709x660, 393K)

SG world is just an amalgam of a bunch of mythologies that Ahad likes. He’s doing the same with Indivisible.

Joke ending basically making fun if how non canon she is.

>did the mob's bidding for daddy's cummies
>pure
Pick 1 (one)

Was it pessimistic or was it pessiSEXY?

That fans REALLY wanted Annie in the game, so that was the compromise, it's also the reason why she's the Skullgirls rep in Indivisible.

Aw, that's a shame
I hope if we ever get a 2, or the comic goes far, they somehow try and bullshit Robo-Fortune and best girl Fukua into the plot

Attached: 1510600993825.gif (192x224, 42K)

Hey this is the Skullheart talking, not me.

2 will never happen
Autumn is basically asking for half a million if LZ wants to own the IP and LZ otherwise doesnt want to work with Autumn.

>half a million
>almost as much as fucking 3 characters

Attached: 1544225846056.png (338x352, 316K)

I really doubt that, user. Annie looked like dogshit and had a retarded backstory, she was like some 12 year old girl's deviantart fan character.

Anne almost won the backer poll from the kickstarter both times, if I remember correctly

Annie is cool

She was in the top 3 of the poll both times.

>tfw deleted my skullgirls folder

Attached: 1479021352148.jpg (640x478, 63K)

Beowulf has a heart of gold and a soul that burns with JUSTICE. All the other girls sought the skull for selfish reasons, he just wanted to defend the city and reclaim his former glory with his own hands, no handouts.

Guilty Geat has a ppretty good story

As a huge fan of Skullgirls I’m gonna try and explain the plot in the simplest, yet most effective way I can without going into too much specifics
I might be getting things wrong since all this is just from me playing the game and hearing th occasional Ahad comment

>In the beginning, Gods called the trinity created man; Venus, goddess of space, Aeon goddess of time, and a third god we haven’t seen or heard named
>Aeon and Venus loved Man so much they decided to live with them on earth
>That all worked out well until Eliza (yes, THAT Eliza, she is very old, and at this point, went by Nefarti I think) decided she wanted to take over the world and killed both Goddesses
>Of course, they didn’t actually stay dead. But Eliza was such a fucking bastard that she made the two decide that man was not worth it and had to be punished.
>They didn’t flood the earth, though. To punish their creation, they made The Skullheart, a macguffin that looks like a skull and a heart (go figure) that can grant the wish of any woman as long as she’s pure of heart. If she’s not pure of heart, she’ll turn into a necromantic being of immense power called The Skullgirl, and usually go on a rampage until someone stops them or the power of the Heart destroys them
>Here’s the kicker; Venus and Aeon don’t think there IS a pure human. So anyone who makes a wish on the damn thing turns into a very angry litch, no matter how pure the wish
>Furthermore, there’s always going to be Skullgirls as long as people are on earth. Even if destroyed, it reappears after 7 years.

1/2

Attached: E5A72177-424C-4386-A405-88F668AF3E86.gif (500x463, 196K)

Little innsmouth is more named that because it's chinatown for fish people and cthulhu = fish person or something

Fast forward a couple thousand years; this is where things get a bit complicated because a lot of plot points start anywhere from one year, to seven years, to 30 years before the plot; Annie’s starts shortly after Eliza dooms us all. So for convenience’s sake, we’re just going to focus on how the final boss starts the plot. Her name is Marie

>By this time, it’s something like 1 year before the plot, and the world is kinda shit at large
>The country the game takes place in (The Canopy Kingdom) was built upon war. Lots of it. So most places that aren’t big countries are pretty shit
>Like the country of Rommelgrad. Marie and Peacock(at this point going by her real name, Patricia) hail from there.
>Rommelgrad had a lot of refugees after the war, Patricia and Marie included
>They get picked up by some slave traders (as young children without homes are wont to do) and get bought by the Medici Mafia (The biggest, most organized crime syndicate in the Kingdom). They then get forced into being maids.
>Patricia, being the scrappy child she is, objects to how she and Marie were being treated, and is promptly turned into a nugget (no arms, no teeth, eyes gauged out no legs)
>Marie fucking hates the Medicis now with all the hate a 13 year old an muster (quite a lot)
>You know what reacts well to that kind of hate? The Skullheart
>Double, a shape shifting flesh monster who does the Godesses’ will on earth, finds Marie and offers to turn her into the next Skullgirl. She accepts, and decides to use her power to fuck up the Medicis, and by extension, new Meridian.

Literally everything beyond this point depends on who you pick for the story mode and just kind of gets into character backstories, so that’s where basic lore ends

Attached: B08D885F-FAD6-4434-B78C-D811E209C470.gif (1232x803, 1.71M)

why is eliza is such a cunt

compromises sure are funny

>Eliza was intended to be a risk-reward character who can do strong attacks with the blood she spills around the stage from taking damage
>oh wait we can't do that because if we have her bleed from getting attacked (spilling blood of your own accord is ok, see Ms Fortune) because of the ESRB rating
>ok she's just a basic rushdown character with a blood theme then lol

Attached: file.png (1003x1065, 1.52M)

>try game as my first fighter
>love everything about it but realize I don't like anime fighters
Shit like 100+ hit combos and assists stress me out, just me gameslike SF or KoF.

should've given her a bar that filled up as she took damage that she could burn to make her attacks more powerful, or like Sin Kiske but change the hunger to restore it when you take a hit

Her original idea sounded cool but fuck

who cares about long combos. if you can win neutral 100% of the time they'll never get a chance to combo you.

I think they also said it was too expensive to implement, which I think was the real reason. Her animations were more expensive then they had expected.

nah it has nothing to do with ESRB, mike is just a lazy asshole and no I have no e-mails to read today

who would win in a fight? skullheart or calypso

Attached: asshole.jpg (480x480, 32K)

>anime
>neutral

okay, define neutral and i'll tell you exactly why your notion of skullgirls lacking neutral is wrong

That sounds a bit like how Carmine plays and I like how Carmine plays.

No one knows! All we know about her is this

>She’s old as Egypt
>She’s only lived this long because of her Parasite, Sekhmet(Parasites are incredibly powerful Montsers that take the place of one of your body parts, but grant you immense power. Sekhmet can suck blood and make blood constructs, the former of which keeps the host young forever)
>She let Sekhmet become her skeleton specifically to stay young and beautiful forever. They’ve been merged so long the line between Eliza and Sekhmet is so blurred it may as well not even be there
>She went on a shitload of rampages until she found a way to blend into society, at which point she became a performer and held blood drives to stay young
>Literally every parasite knows her because she’s a cunt and used to hunt other parasites for sport
>She killed Samson’s host way way back in the day and he’s still not over it. Eliza kind of wants Samson to merge with her and Sekhmet to be even more powerful than she is

Ahad once said she was going to be the villain of Skullgirls 2 if they ever made it and yknow, I can really see it

Attached: 82746245-C480-42E6-925B-2431DE068299.jpg (350x554, 87K)

Any point both players aren't attacking or engaging each other

I really like the idea that her and her parasite are so close that they basically exist as one entity due to both being the eviliest cunts. Even Squigly and Leviathen aren't that close.

I want to so bad

Attached: 1558040403468.jpg (1024x742, 129K)

>murdered
She was captured and kept as a literal fucknugget.

I love Eliza!

Attached: eliza.gif (396x223, 3.4M)

If they didn't have her two goons as part of her moveset she could have been more focused and her skeleton gimmick could have at least been made more useful. Instead she's kind of a hodgepodge of half baked concepts.

No, not physically

Attached: Headless Nadia.jpg (1280x720, 470K)

And that's just to own the IP. Not to actually get any development done.

it also helps that Sekhmet is a parasite down to a more physical level than others. Sekhmet replaces her entire skeleton, the rest of her body is just constructed from blood she can control while if there's anything actually 'left' of Eliza, it's her brain inside of Sekhmet's skull.

i want to rape eliza's cunt so much she stops being a cunt to everybody else

who were some characters you would have wanted from a design standpoint?

Double's flesh monster aesthetic is wasted since it's only really for her standing/moving animations and a couple attacks so I really wanted Umbrella and Aeon. Hungern is like, Double the umbrella in terms of aesthetics, while Aeon did similar stuff with her body opening up with teeth to let out worms

Attached: file.png (1280x1317, 1.13M)

>they covered up fortune almost entirely for the web cartoon being made
What shit. Yes she was in her shredded death cloths, but her whole thing is breaking herself apart and bleeding. Jeans and a coat isn't really conductive to using that ability.

this lad right here

Attached: panzerchad.png (600x581, 245K)

I really liked Scythana and what they would have done with Molly. Panzerfaust looked cool too since he had a fucking tank on his arm.

Attached: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png (245x209, 44K)

Beowulf, bigband, and eliza where pitched as interesting mechanical concepts and kind of fell flat on their gimmicks aside from Beowulfs chain grapples maybe.

The phone girl and adding in a mortal kombat like character for her inputs would have been interesting though as would any of the characters that used dead bodies.

ANNIE
FUCKING ANNIE
SOL BADLOLI IS THE TIGHTEST SHIT EVER AAAHHHHHH
Really an immortal girl fighting skullgirls throughout history is great.

Attached: annie sheet.jpg (981x1920, 740K)

would Scythana even work with her being 12 feet tall? it'd be like fucking Big Zam.

Attached: file.png (1280x728, 990K)

Make her huge. I don't give a shit.

Attached: 07_msfortune_1p.png (244x195, 33K)

Ridley was too big for smash bros but they made him work. i believe Mike and Alex could've made Scythana work similar to that

There are a lot of characters I would've liked to have seen from that poll (Stanley, Scynthana, Brain Drain, Aeon) but Issac was by far my favorite. I'm so pissed that they had a prototype for him made. Fuck, why is animation so God damn expensive?

Attached: Isaac ken copy.jpg (640x480, 149K)

>because of the ESRB rating

Woah, is there a source for that? I thought mike just couldnt make the mechanic work

The one and only. Honestly i think a very fast balrog character with SG’s gameplay design philosophy would be extremely fun.

Forgot pic

Attached: 3139386B-7103-491E-8950-F9F0657959FA.png (1051x1061, 606K)

what the fuck

They had to change the way sprites worked to get Big Band in the game. They’d do it for Scythana if they had to

>They had to change the way sprites worked to get Big Band in the game
o rly? where can i read more on that?

>Autumn Games, which contains none of the people that own skullgirls, own skullgirls, and will only sell the IP back to the creators for half a million
>Lab Zero has bad blood with Autumn Games and don't want to work under/for them to make them a new Skullgirls game

What a shitty situation. At this point I'm not even sure if it's worth trying to convince whales to give money to the mobile game because Autumn Games owns it, and if it does well it'll just convince them not to let go of the Skullgirls IP, or if I should be happy to see it crumble and fall despite being the only continuation of the brand currently available right now.

Robo fortune writes a fanfic about how she commits global genocide and how all the dlc characters that didn't get in stop her.

Attached: 761523716.jpg (1024x575, 195K)

kek

My favorite compromise was how the Red fucking Cross made them change Valentines's red crosses on her uniform and the ones she uses for attacks into slightly violet crosses because they somehow own the concept of 255/0/0 colored crosses.

THIS

I’m so glad someone else realizes how much mythology is built into SG

>Filia is terminally ill
>parasoul is missing one of her eyes
Is this revealed in the mobile game, or did i miss something?

Reminder that Aeon is a NEET

Attached: AeonAndVenus.png (1280x720, 944K)

Keep playing the game as it is because a skullgirls 2 would fracture the community in the same way that any new game would.
Like. If you liked darkstalkers you would not want a new one to be fucking desecrated you just play darkstalkers. Same with SG
Otherwise you can support them directly via their new original work, commissions, or the royalties they still get from sg but that's split with autumn

Nice Valentine tits

I just wish we got playable Mary.

Where can i find the origin stories from the mobile game?

Story Mode

Pretty sure their publishers at the time made them do it preemptively to avoid shit with the red cross. Im pretty sure the reason red cross has that symbol reserved is because its such a large humanitarian organization they dont want anyone impersonating them

Attached: 1558048626447.png (5850x4254, 3.49M)

Post Dedede Big Band

Attached: Man+king+dedede+has+lost+a+lot+of+weight+after+_50e5245fe15ad719ea770845c7edb515.png (812x823, 681K)

Just google it, it’s on Youtube

>Too Many Spoons

Why would I do that when Jotaro Big Band is superior in every way

Attached: 489462065_preview_check out this shit.jpg (1920x1080, 446K)

based user

Cute.