Left: One dedicated fan with no budget

Left: One dedicated fan with no budget
Right: Company that owns the most successful franchise on earth

Attached: What-Pokemon-Sword-Shield-SHOULD-Look-Like.jpg (1600x900, 261K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9y_vXBaadw0
arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2007/07/research-optimal-copyright-term-is-14-years/
nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190425e.pdf
businessinsider.com/jk-rowling-is-no-longer-a-billionaire-booted-off-forbes-list-2012-3
youtube.com/watch?v=C1Y_d_Lhp60
youtu.be/hqwP6uuYOWo
youtube.com/watch?v=hqwP6uuYOWo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

NINTENDO HIRE THIS MAN

Left looks nice but what's the deal with the 100% plain background on it? Out of these two still images without any knowledge of anything else in their worlds, I would actually prefer the right.

youtu.be/9y_vXBaadw0
It's an alpha version

Right looks better.

Stop being entitled. Game Freak does thekr best, you need to take what you can get.

This looks like it could be the comfiest game in existence and assuming it would have full pokemon battles, I'd almost be tempted to donate.

we know dude, it's fucking sad. apologists on here are dumbshits. and yes, we know it gets complicated with stats and battles, but that shouldn't even be an issue with millions at stake.

What would Pokemon look like without the perversion of copyright?
Continuing with Pokemon as an example, let's imagine for a minute that copyright worked the way a modern researcher determined would be mathematically optimal - 15 years automatically with no renewal.
arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2007/07/research-optimal-copyright-term-is-14-years/

It may seem crazy, but let's roll with it.

Copyright begins at publication. For Pokemon, this was 1996 - but not all of Pokemon. Some elements did not premiere until later. Therefore, certain elements would enter the public domain later than others. For example:

1996 - Pokemon Red and Blue
2000 - Pokemon Gold and Silver
2003 - Pokemon Ruby and Saphire

Hypothetically, these ideas would enter public domain 15 years later, in:

2011 - All 150 Pokemon
2015 - 235 Pokemon
2018 - All Pokemon from Ruby and Saphire

This means that, by 2018, anyone could publish their own Pokemon using every character, planet, concept from the original games (like Red and Blue, Pokemon Snap, and Stadium) and have it available for sale on the shelves of Gamestop. And any producer with the funds could greenlight any game.

Just like that, suddenly entertainment business would need to compete to bring us the best possible Pokemon they could. Bethesda, Sony, Disney would all be sending scripts to Veronica Taylor and Ikue Otani - tripping over themselves to write the best story they could create - trying to convince them to take the role. Copies sent off to Satoshi for that incredibly valuable "author approved" signature.

Attached: 1561165964911.jpg (1769x2005, 583K)

What did we get in 2018 instead? Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! And everybody got tricked into spending $60 for it.

Which version of 2018 would you prefer? As it is, Nintendo can offer whatever quality they want - even if it's garbage. They have a monopoly on the property. They could decided tomorrow that they don't want any more new Pokemon. They could sit on the property for 50 years, publishing nothing - no new books, films, games, nothing - and there's not a thing we could do about it. A cornerstone of our culture...complete control.

Wouldn't this be unfair to Satoshi and original creators? No. Fifteen years is a long time.

>By 2018, Nintendo's annual income was $1.79 BILLION
nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190425e.pdf

Not bad...an entire generation of fans had thanked them for adding to our culture by giving them a huge pile of money. And, since the property would be free to anyone there would be nothing stopping Nintendo from continuing to sell stories from the world they created. As a bonus, anything with its name attached would always have the advantage in game sales.

Another example to look at would be J.K. Rowling. Fifteen years after she published Sorceror's Stone, Rowling was already so tired of being a billionaire
businessinsider.com/jk-rowling-is-no-longer-a-billionaire-booted-off-forbes-list-2012-3 that she donated $160 million to charity. Again, not a bad trade for enriching our culture by sharing her idea. Fifteen years is a long time.

What does this mean?
Established brands are much easier to market, and therefore less risky. This makes everlasting copyright an important tool for the giants of modern entertainment like Disney. Why fund a director's new idea for a superhero when you can just pump out Spider-Man 17? Or Toy Story 5? Or Star Wars Episode 21?

Ironically, this means that copyright has been twisted to now lead to less creativity and new ideas making it to film.

On the other hand, it also robs the commonwealth of the ability to express their own culture. The children who grew up with A New Hope turned 41 this year. Think about that...they were born into a world where Star Wars has always existed (from their perspective), they got education, careers, their own families. Some went to film school, or became writers because they were inspired by Star Wars. But sadly, they will most likely retire and die in a world where they never got to make a dollar adding to the thing they loved.

So who gets to make a Star Wars film instead? Only whoever Kathleen Kennedy (CEO of Lucasfilm) feels like...Rian Johnson and JJ Abrams, I guess. Out of an entire generation and culture.

You might mention fan films or fan fiction as a counter-point but this is irrelevant. By removing the ability to profit, these writers would be foolish to spend the time and energy (for writing) and the money (for filming) necessary to bring those stories to life. People need to eat, they can't go into crippling debt just to express their culture. So, without a way to profit, fan fiction and film will always be a very low tier of art - rushed out, passion projects or just for practice/experience - meaningless in the large scale of things.

>making a Pokémon fangame in current year
For what purpose? I like the effort, Nintendo's just gonna C&D it out of existence.

I don't get it? How would Gamefreak make any money if anybody could just use pokemon?

I like the effort, but*

Ok sóytendie

>that face
>those tiny hands
o h n o n o n o n o

jesus christ the 3d model on the left_ is horrible. probably a blendlet.

Okay, /vp/ we already know the new game is shit. Everybody does, even normalfags. But there's no use crying over it, We all know Gamefreak too well and they won't change shit. Just get another battle monster game. There are so many good ones out there.

Attached: 153.jpg (304x368, 56K)

Really, it's about the gameplay, not the graphics. Too bad GameFreak doesn't know how to make good gameplay.

You're largely preaching to the choir, but Pokemon is further complicated by trademarks. It's not just copyright. Trademark and copyright law are intertwined but completely different.
Copyright is the right to copy and distribute a work, trademark is the right to use a mark for trade. Copyright expiring would give people free reign to distribute and copy the older games, not the right to release their own Pokemon games with the pokemon, which trademark would prevent.

List them please. I want something to fill this hole.

There was a guy who would post pokémon replacements for people not happy with SS some months ago.
They're your usual Megami Tensei, SOME Digimon, Monster Rancher, Dragon Quest Monsters and some more obscure ones like Jade Cocoon

You do realize things regularly go into the public domain don't you? That's the intention of the original constitutional law. Sherlock Holmes is now public domain, Steamboat Willie is now public domain. Pokemon can also fall into the public domain.

The NASA logo is currently public domain, but you don't see people misusing that. The same can apply to all of these companies, and what you've been taught and brainwashed to believe in simply isn't true and meant to keep us in servitude to big corporations.

They can make new games, or they can continue making Pokemon games, they would just have to compete with other companies.

Oh, they can't compete? Well then they fail. That's capitalism, when it applies to big corporations and not just the little guy.

Some big company should just give competent fans a budget so they make a Pokemon rip-off that surpasses Pokemon. It really shouldn't be hard to surpass Pokemon in terms of quality.

To be more specific, when the copyright expires people would have the right to:

* Distribute the work freely, and air it freely.
* Copy and use the work as they see fit

It would (rightfully) rob the company of their exclusive right to distribute and continue to profit off of a piece of media that is more than 15 years old, forcing them to work harder to develop quality content at the present. Because of trademark, this would not give the right to the public to make and sell new works based on existing trademarks. So fans would still not be able to make and sell their own Star Wars and Pokemon media.

Copyright is exactly what it sounds like, the "right" to "copy". It does not grant ownership or right to build new things. Like it or not, this is a good thing. Imagine if everybody could make and release their own Star Wars, Pokemon, and Zelda media. The market would be flooded with a mixture of good and terrible copycats and what is actually part of a brand would be horribly diluted, even if the "canon" isn't changed.
You might argue that it hurts creativity, but it really doesn't. Similarities and game mechanics can't be copyrighted or trademarked for the most part (there are patents, but most game mechanics aren't covered by them), so you can create your clones with their own IP, you just can't reuse trademarked names or characters.

user, you should know GameFreak is a really small company with only 3 people working there and a budget that can’t even afford a coffee.

People are too attached to the Pokemon designs, Digimon might have a chance

>stop being picky with products and just buy them goy
Hi Reggie.

GAMEFREAK
HIRE THIS MAN

I'm 99% sure that people posting the "they are trying their best" lines are posting it sarcastically.

i am convinced at this point that gamefreak has an AI that makes these games
no one is actually working there

Yes, but that's copyright, not trademark. Steamboat Willie being public domain doesn't give people the right to sell their own Micky Mouse merchandise or media, it gives people the right to distribute and copy it. Micky Mouse as a concept isn't public domain, pieces of media with him in it are. This is the difference. When Pokemon falls into the public domain, you'll have the right to copy and distribute it freely, not to use the IP as you see fit. The NASA example doesn't count, because NASA is not a private company, and does not have the name trademarked, but you still can not misrepresent yourself as being a member of it, as it is an agency of the government.
It's not about misuse really, it's about dilution of a brand. The purpose of a trademark is that the public should see a trademarked term and know what to expect from that term, and know that associated media of that term is explicitly granted by the owning company. If you want to make your own thing, make your own thing; nobody is stopping you, you just can't use somebody else's trademarks to do it.

You're arguing for shorter copyright terms, which most of us (probably all of us) would agree with, but what you describe isn't shorter copyright terms, but expiring trademarks, which would be insanity in a market economy unless the trademark term length is already extremely long (trademarks do, in fact, expire if a company isn't using it). Nobody would be able to trust that any brand is actually built by the company they might assume without doing tons of research on every name of everything they purchase.

Right is unironically better here.

How seething does this make you poke-nerds? lol. Buying this game because it's going to be fun as fuck.

>waaahhh there's not all the pokemon!!
>waahhh i can't use the charmander i've loved since I was a kid!!!
>waaaahhhh the graphics aren't like crysys on my PC!!!! DID YOU SEE THIS TREE?! ZELDA N64!!!

Have sex you retards hahaha

Attached: Capture.png (641x697, 89K)

>making sword and shield look better

Fuck you OP

Yeah I like to pretend I'm going to do something and then do the opposite too.

fpbp

After LGPE I don't know how anyone had expectations for gen 8

Attached: 1527677460320.png (1539x1082, 2.28M)

>all the nintendies pretending right looks better
lmao you just know theyre trying to cope with the fact that they will give gamefreak their money no matter what recycled low effort scam they come out with

>waahhh i can't use the charmander i've loved since I was a kid!!!
But Charmander's in the game

Eh, the only Pokémon games I've played to completion are Emerald and SoulSilver, and seeing how I'm too lazy to get a 3DS, let alone a Switch, that probably won't change for the foreseeable future
You do you, user

Left looks like a cheap unity clone done by some nerd in his basement.

Right actually has a vibrant artstyle that matches the Pokemon aesthetic.

>maximizing profits is bad
fuck off commie they're not forcing you to buy it

>muh vibrant
yikes, no wonder you buy amiibos

Looks like a generic Unity game.

No real reason to be so snide and shitty about it. I hope you enjoy the game. The problems with the game are enough to keep me from buying it. There's food that I don't like; I don't give a shit if other people enjoy it. Same thing with video games. Us not liking something and complaining about it doesn't mean we give a shit that you do like and enjoy it. The problems we have with it aren't suddenly unreal just because you don't care about them.

>The problems we have with it aren't suddenly unreal just because you don't care about them.

That's exactly what capitalism means though. These games sell as well or better than other pokemon games and all criticism before release is now falling on deaf ears. No need to fix what isn't broken.

>I don't know how anyone had expectations for gen 8
Maybe it was Gamefreak saying "LOL WE KNOW LGPE LOOKS LIKE SHIT, BUT IT'S INTENTIONAL BECAUSE WE'RE FOCUSING ALL OUR POWER ON GEN 8".
I fell for that.

Attached: 1554000174537.jpg (542x540, 62K)

NINTENDO

If at least one of these "NINTENDO, HIRE THIS MAN" fangames ever see the light of day without either getting unceremoniously cancelled or C&D'd to oblivion, I'll eat my hat

LGPE cemented in my mind that they literally didn't give a fuck

I'm sure you'd be perfectly fine with all of your other favorite games becoming public domain and being bastardized as well.

All new pokemon would be copyrighted for the time since their release, not start of the franchise.
So I guess they would have to put effort into new games enough to compete with people using old ones.

Attached: thinken.jpg (480x480, 26K)

Left: One guy who used a bunch of premade assets to make a basic location and doesn't understand animation or level design
Right: An entire company of guys who use a bunch of premade assets to make basic locations and don't understand animation or level design.
Why add another turd to the pile?

>So I guess they would have to put effort into new games enough to compete with people using old ones.
but gamefreak wouldn't be able to survive if that happened...

>Actively posting updates of a fan game
Expect this to be shut down within the year.

I absolutely would. You'd have to be retarded not to. If the exstence of bad games prevents you from enjoying good ones, you;re fucked in the head mate.
My favourite games get bastardized anyway without being public domain every year.
The difference is, people bastardizing them can also pull good versions off sotrefronts and block other more talented people from using the IP.

A charmader, in the wide open, nah fuck that.

The fact that they debuted their mainline console tenure with a cash-in on Pokémon GO should've been a huge neon red flag by itself for longtime fans. Although maybe it's only more obvious to me as a semi-outsider (I haven't touched a mainline game since BW2).

whats your point? Right looks SO much better, so much more soul.

left may be HQ but it's souless and ugly, i mean just look at the character, ew. no thanks.

Cope

That's totally not happening with Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Pokemon.

By making the best version of Pokémon. Think of properties like Sherlock Holmes or Dracula that are in the public domain. Those things still make people money, companies still put millions of dollars behind them, even though anyone can make their version of it.

Copyright is a relatively recent invention that needlessly stifles creativity. Abolish copyright. Your work should stand on its own. The execution of a thing should be what's commended and protected, not the concepts behind it.

You assume the fans would make good games in the first place.

In this case it would be more fair to put the links awakening remake next to it.
Not that LGPE isn't just looking like an upscaled mobile game

Star Wars and Indiana Jones aren't public domain.

While I see where you're coming from I think it's worth noting that Pokemon still hasn't really diverged from the LGPE style, at least not fully.

Thread theme youtube.com/watch?v=C1Y_d_Lhp60

Link’s Awakening won’t sell as much as LGPE did.

Left really should focus on making the game less brown.
Fucking indies and their stupid orange lighting shader tints. These people never go out and see what real life looks like, I swear.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND

Attached: Game Freak vs Chink Bootleg.webm (854x478, 1.74M)

It would take amazing mathematical skill to mortar land your water bombs.

I agree. I'm still going to bitch, though. It being successful means that enough people like it to justify the company making it the way that they did, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with popular opinion or keep complaints to myself. Tons of popular things have obvious issues that the general population either ignores or doesn't care about.

youtu.be/hqwP6uuYOWo

>Tons of popular things have obvious issues that the general population either ignores or doesn't care about.

Do not take my comments as a dismissal of this point. I agree with you entirely. I just wish the criticisms meant more with products that are generally popular. Now-a-days unless you get a gigantic twitter campaign together, any critiques will most likely be ignored.

Even if they are not ignored, you get general PR statements that say basically nothing. And the only changes that will take place if the product does not perform well. Ends up making you feel powerless which is why so many people bitch as much as they can. Just wish it mattered more.

That's not what public domain means. Public domain does not give you free access to a trademark. If a company is still using its trademark regularly, older works falling out of copyright does not give people the right to use the IPs to make their own products, only to distribute, copy, share, and sell the older works.
Please, if you're making arguments about copyright terms, understand the basics of copyright and trademark law. Don't push for something based on a premise you don't understand.

Never underestimate the fat guy with the hydro-cannons on his back.

To be entirely honest, I'm glad for this upset. Things like this and people getting widely upset are often what spurs companies who see the potential market to come in and try to fill the space. Pokemon has been lazy for a while (I'd say since Gen 3 at least), and I'd like to see more in the "collectable fighter RPG" area (or whatever you want to call it) by different companies with different ideas.
If the displeasure continues, expect to see new blood in the arena in the next few years.

my point exactly.

I got fooled too, I was expecting they put out LGPE so they could spend all their real efforts making a gigantic BOTW exploration pokemon game of my dreams and instead got... some inbetween n64 and gamecube looking pokemon 2019 travesty.

The fact that LGPE existed at all torpedo'd any and all hopes I had in this franchise. I knew they were lying through their teeth when they said that shit.

And you think being available for everyone to do what they want with them will make them suddenly the best things ever?

>>waaaahhhh the graphics aren't like crysys on my PC
When the reason they're culling pokemon is to improve graphical quality then damn right that's a fair criticism.

BOTW is the bare minimum for it to be acceptable to me

Attached: Main-Day.jpg (1280x720, 246K)

Take off the piss filter and then we can talk.

Maybe it's supposed to be dawn or dusk. That color would be acceptable for those periods.

>15 years
Where did the author pull that from, his ass? It's 70 years under common law for things to enter public domain.

Left: not a playable game at this time
Right: playable video game

Call me when this single person makes an actual game and not the equivalent of concept art.

Maybe 10 years? I guess we can wait.

uronically kill yourself,the most painful better.

arrest yourself

Left looks empty as fuck.

>gets copyright strikes from the company that he admires
>never actually asked to work for said company
being a fan is suffering

its fine, in 10 years gamefreak will never make a game people with a brain want to play

>Left: not a playable game at this time
Is the person who made the left actually making a fan game based on that? Because that's a first.

>Maybe 10 years? I guess we can wait.
>he seriously think it'll take 10 years for 1 person to make a fully playable game based on OP's pic on the left when most devs with patrons can barley even push out shitty 2D sprite games in that time frame

Attached: 1560214718612.jpg (1280x720, 51K)

He pulled it from the link that was right below that paragraph.

Left: not a game
Right: a game

left: a game in alpha
right: a shitty rushed game devoid of soul

I don't need all that crap in my RPGs, when will they fucking learn.

this. modeling and animating a character and letting it move on standard terrain assets is not the same as a whole game with tons of systems coming together.
source: I make games for years as a hobby and have experience with every big engine and popular framework. OPs source is worth a week of work and faaaaaar away from a complete or even playable game.

Gens 5 through 7 being complete shit didn't tip you off to the fact that Game Freak wasn't trying anymore?

>faaaaaar away from a complete or even playable game
Heh, I noticed the video didn't include him interacting with anything he plopped down and was like "Oh lol we're SUPER early alpha"

Left: can't meme
Right: best masterpiece

>Gen V
>shit

Attached: homin.jpg (300x450, 17K)

youtube.com/watch?v=hqwP6uuYOWo
STOP POSTING UPDATES!

>OPs source is worth a week of work and faaaaaar away from a complete or even playable game.
B-but user, it's on Unreal Engine 4! And it has BLOOM! And particle effects! Why aren't Nintendo hiring this man like right now?!?!

Everything about gen 5 was shit.

>last video before this was 3 years ago
LOL

that is probably the only good video on that channel

watch
less updates=less chance of C&D
no updates until game is completed=no chance of C&D (optimal)

>STOP POSTING UPDATES!
BUT HOW ELSE WILL MY SUBSCRIBERS BELIEVE ME AND CONTINUE TO DONATE TO ME AFTER I CRY ABOUT MY TAKE DOWN?

Oh my fucking god, I even watched the post you linked and said "yeah that's a good idea" and here I am shitposting about how he's not uploading. God I can be such a retard.

>everybody needs to add to culture because they grew up with it
no, that's how you get clusterfucks, try working with just 10 people on something who all have a different idea of what it should be. And even if you did release to general public, there wouldn't really be anything good, if pokemon is so easy to make as in the OP screenshot why have there never been any decent one man clones of it? Because making a demo is easy and making a game is hard. The only good fangames we have are romhacks and those have already had most of the work done for them by the company. Even if it did get released to the general public we wouldn't get shit, all we would get is there guarantee that there would be nothing new for ages, and without a hierachy of sorts we fall into chaos, if everyone and their dog could make something star wars related you think we would get something good? maybe like a decent book or two but would be out of hundreds, if everyone could write a star wars book or make a movie we would end up with thousands of products but very few of them good, in fact, the only good stuff would likely come out of other major companies, so essentially it would be the same shit different company.

His Naruto LP was pretty funny once he roped Reggie in, their Katamari LP was also pretty decent with the tonnes of Katamari facts Woolie was dropping, race wars is an interesting concept, and DMCV was worth it just for the Virgil reveal, Sin Devil Trigger and Nero DT reactions.

>no updates until game is completed=no chance of C&D
except for selling their games.

oh, and DMCV also had the couple of minutes when Woolie didn't understand that Dr. Faust is a gun and kept on wanting to see what its Swordmaster style was.

Gen V was the beginning of the end by introducing friendly rivals, a linear region, and piss-easy difficulty including nurses to heal you in caves.

Most people making fan projects aren't doing it to sell. There are a few, but I think they are rare.

The dedicated man on the left would never be able to make a full game so his efforts are pointless.

Nintendo will LITERALLY kill the whole family of whoever makes a fangame that looks better than the oficial ones.

Gen III was the beginning of the end by making it crystal-clear that they were going to lazily recycle effectively the same game over and over again.
Gen I did something interesting and pretty unique for a fun, quaint, monster-collecting RPG.
Gen II expanded upon and improved Gen I in every way, fixing tons of the useability issues with it and basically being a better version of it, with some additions on top. It was ok that they re-used the same formula of getting a rival, grabbing a fire/water/grass pokemon at the beginning, going through 8 gyms and a series of cities, fighting an evil team, beating the champions at the end, and grabbing a legendary Pokemon, because the game was effectively a refinement.
Gen III reusing the exact same formula again was the sign that the series was going to stagnate. Gen I was buggy and had a ton of sharp corners. Gen III had no excuse to not go another direction, or experiment with the structure anymore. From then on, it was clear that they'd be basically releasing the same game formula every time with one or two gimmicks thrown in and some other minimal changes, but effectively being slightly changed mechanics and a new set of Pokemon on the exact same structure.

>Its a "Some faggot did some assets on unreal engine and everyone sucks their Dicks" episode

Oh boy

>The only good fangames we have are romhacks
SMBX is unironically better than Mario Maker, the Metroid fangame is pretty good to.

Left looks ugly. I thought le brown meme died years ago, and there's literally nothing else

didn't they send goons to some dudes house that got one of the pokemon games early and started leaking info about it

>apologists on here are dumbshits
it's even worse elsewhere- just head over to selectbutton's SwSh thread, for example

Nothing different from Gamefreak's deprived of style water and n64 trees

That was Border Lands 3.

One of these things has to run on mobile tier hardware

>How would Gamefreak make any money if anybody could just use pokemon?
Who the fuck cares? Do you have stock on the company?

>Destiny
What a pretentious name. It's like when the Sonic community makes Sonic fan games that sound like it's "the ideal Sonic". Took this fanbase long enough to end up in the same position.

Also, this isn't really that interesting. It doesn't really feel like a game, more like a simulation of the anime, namely the first 3 gens.

But no one is the rightful heir to pokemon. They have to be handpicked by Nintendo or else I won't play their game. Game Freak is trying their be- Oh god I can't keep this up. I was just pretending to be retarded. That post, the few other similar posts, and this one except for this breakdown.

Right unironically looks better than left

Pokemon doesn't need to try because there are literally millions of retards who will buy anything with the Pokemon Logo on it solely due to brand recognition.

Right has more soul

What if someone made a complete fangame that was miles better than whatever gamefreak puts out, and set up a bitcoin address for payment? Bitcoin is anonymous too right? Can they really C&D if the owner covered his tracks for website hosting and bitcoin address?