N64 was a miserable pile of shit

Fighting games were shit on the N64
>b-b-but Smash Brothers
Would be a 6/10 on a console with Tekken 3, and that god awful N64 controller was just not fit for fighters.

JRPGs were shit and nearly nonexistent on the N64
>b-b-but Paper Mario
Would be a 7/10 on a console with the FF trilogy, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Breath of Fire 3 and 4, etc. Seriously, the amount of them is massive on PS1

SHMUPS were nonexistent on the N64
>B-b-but... uhm...
AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAH OH MY GOD WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT - ONE OF THE MOST BASIC GENRES THAT EVEN THE SUPER NINTENDO COULD DO

If there's one place the N64 actually crushes it, it's FPSes. PS1 is abysmal when it comes to them. The fact that one of the best FPSes is a bad version of the N64 version of TWINE, then you know you got problems. Hell, FPSes on N64 make Dreamcast FPSes kinda embarrassed, they're that good.

Attached: n64 rpgs lq.jpg (1064x681, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html
metacritic.com/game/playstation/tekken-3
metacritic.com/game/nintendo-64/super-smash-bros
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I agree

Star Fox 64

This faggot really out here saying FF8 and Chrono Cross were good

Attached: best girl.jpg (576x573, 61K)

>SHMUPS were nonexistent on the N64

Bangaioh and Sin & Punishment were great sweaty.

>Japanese only

lmao

It'd be like Symphony of the Night being Japan only:

Nobody would care

>Fighting games were shit on the N64

Attached: CzRT1.jpg (976x665, 300K)

>not having an N64 solely for Mario Party
best economic simulator for those who didn't have a PC

>consolewar thread about a 20 year old console
There comes a time for every shitposter when he must look at what he's doing and not hit "post"

More like:

>RPG developers in the late 90s
Fuck N64 owners.

R E N T F R E E

Attached: 7EF97B3F-C532-40DF-A3D8-039D9CA68FD7.png (633x568, 105K)

The salty ass president of Nintendo literally said "fuck JRPGs"

So let's say you were crazy enough to want to do an RPG for the N64. Would Nintendo market it? Would Nintendo fans even buy it? If the console is not known for JRPGs, your game might absolutely flounder, no matter how good it is.

And I think a good JRPG could come out on the N64, it would just look like Harvest Moon - but who would waste the effort when the PS1 is right there and is cultivating the right audience?

Pure, unadulterated autism.

Plus JRPG devs had been realizing that they could use the space of a CD for voice music and cinematics for a while. Why neuter your games of their selling point so Nintendo could fuck you on cartridge costs?

N64 unironically did nothing wrong. Non-action oriented RPGs aged like milk, even your previous Final Fantasy, come the advent of Youtube

Like your life, but nobody judges you... too much.

I doubt he "literally" said that

Pic related

Not literally. Paraphrasing again, but he said something akin to that "RPGs were for basement dwellers"

Actually a lot of the action games haven't held up because there are better versions of them available now.

But if you want a story like Xenogears or Chrono Cross, you gotta play Xenogears or Chrono Cross.

Quit gettin mad at video games.

>N64 is a pile of shit

In other news, water is wet

Not OP, Star Fox 64 is great, but it's also essentially scripted. It's a country mile smoother to play than most other N64 games for a reason.

I believe Yamauchi's line was "RPGs for those who like to play slow games in their rooms all day". Actually not a baseless statement, and the JRPG's time as easy spectacle has certainly past, but it was just a part of Nintendo's asserting just how much they were willing to go their own way.

The thing about the fuck RPGs shit that stings the most is that it was caused by Enix changing Dragon Quest to the PS1.
Mind you, Enix had been working to get DQ to the 64 for years, they basically lost the entire 5th gen because of this with DQ7 being released in 2000, years after the SNES release of 6. But Nintendo wouldn't cooperate, they were going to release DQ to the 64DD and ultimately had to cancel since Nintendo allowed that to flop. Only then, after so much, did they move to the PS1, to release a 2D game that barely used the potential of the console because it was meant for the 64.
So the dude basically fucks Enix over hard and then is like "oh boo hoo my stocks fell because DQ is moving to the PSX, fuck RPGs"
Thanks god for Iwata

>and the JRPG's time as easy spectacle has certainly past

One of the biggest games going now is Persona 5 with Nintenbronies literally begging for ports of it and the main character appeared in Smash for fuck sakes. I can't believe N64 cope posters are still posting.

This is mostly correct, but aside from the longstanding caveat that only Nintendo consoles get Nintendo games, which are generally excellent, the N64 Rareware games are enough to make the console worth it.

Is Persona 5 selling 10 million copies? You know what I meant by that.

Chrono Cross was great. if your really wanted to play chrono trigger on a gen 5 console, you could do that on Playstation, but not n64.

I wonder if Nintendo is just cursed when it comes to RPGs, because as soon as Monster Hunter left Nintendo, World outsold all the Nintendo exclusives by millions.

capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

No but Monster Hunter is selling millions not on Nintendo

>Tekken 3
Imagine thinking for more than one second that's the best example of a good fighting game you can come up with. Imagine.

metacritic.com/game/playstation/tekken-3

metacritic.com/game/nintendo-64/super-smash-bros

NOOOOOO

My point was that JRPGs are currently not the perceived console banner-bearers they were made out to be in the late 90's, that all.

Fair enough, but I feel like they're making a comeback. The 360/PS3 gen really fucked them into the dirt

I don't know why would it be considered a curse. MH was selling well on Nintendo handhelds, it was kinda expected for it to sell more on the best selling console this gen.
I would expect the same if Zelda, Mario or even Halo somehow hit the PS4.

Imagine being proud of having normalfag -tier taste in games. Imagine.

Smash was incredibly normalfagtier, it was just low on the normalfag tier quality list

>SHMUPS were nonexistent on the N64
you clearly haven't heard of sin & punishment

Attached: 1560117221264.png (210x178, 95K)

>Japan only

99% of western audiences didn't

Worth it for GoldenEye and Ocarina of time alone. GoldenEye may have aged like dogshit icecream on a hot day but OoT has held up.

>fighting games
there were plenty
>jrpgs
who cares
>shmups
only legitimate complaint

>b-but it doesn't matter because it's japanese only
get fucked

Attached: 1552837143390.jpg (285x327, 20K)

FPS, 3D platformers and just in general Nintendo owned IP was all great on N64 stop being a fag. Also it was good for racing games and wrestling games. N64 was more specialized in its strengths than its competitors. PS1 was pretty much the all rounder type of console and Saturn was, well lets just say Saturn was a flop and not dis it any harsher than that.

Playstation wrestling games were far better.

Only really Smackdown and Smackdown 2 though

Haha, you are so right bro, how am I supposed to hold this controller without 3 hands?

Counter-argument: Ace Combat 2
Or 3, if you're a Jap

The thing about JRPG makes me think that they never had to put those FMV in the game. They could have just did the cutscenes with the actual game graphics the way you see done with so many other games.

>They could have just did the cutscenes with the actual game graphics the way you see done with so many other games.

They probably farmed out cinematics so they don't have to create them in game. So while the devs are working on the game, CG artists are rendering.

Well yeah, how are you supposed to?

>n64 not fit for fighters
It had the same dpad as the snes. Its good.
>japanese only
>baby cant figure out physical region locking
Lol

>imagine making a thread bashing the n64 every fucking day
Did a N64 rape your mother or some shit?

Attached: 1534116528880.jpg (522x451, 59K)

>Smash Bros BAD
>Paper Mario BAD
Fuck SHMUPS

>Final Fantasy
>better than other RPGs
>largely any of them
Uh-huh. Whatever you say, mister mister! You're all growed up now so you can say BIG BOY OPINIONS on the internet!

Its the thinking mans game. Of course you wouldnt like them.

>Having a mental breakdown over an outdated 23 year old console aimed for kids
Dilate

Parents needed to buy it

Forget shmups, how about games like Symphony of the Night? Couldn't do that on the Ass64

My god you have got to be kidding me with this shitty post. Not even close.

>Japan matters
By that logic N64 fags even the SEGA Saturn takes a massive shit on tne N64 can't have it both ways you know

Attached: accdfd82-dba6-11e5-9e5c-6f452c2571a5.jpg (700x525, 70K)

FUQ VIDYA

Fuck rpg fans?

Ok, yeah, sure, when ALL THE 3RD PARTY DEVS LEFT NINTENDO! Its easy to say that, try making an FF7 in an era when only Squaresoft was good at that, asshole.

This, its a widely known fact that n64 wrestlers wete top tier. This was acknowledged back in the day by PS1 fans too.

star soldier and bangai-o were on the 64 and both are good

saturn was pretty good, what's your point?

No Saturn game was on par with games like BK, OoT, SM64, or PD, though.

I didnt like star soldier 64, i wished so hard we got s&p. It'd be rare as fuck today.

Sorry you missed it dude, it was a really fun console

It was good, but in the US, no one bought the damn thing. Blame sega for releasing it with no prior warning, even to retailers, that it was launching on E3.

>that kid who only had n64 or psx

Attached: SI_WiiVC_FZeroX_image1600w.jpg (1600x800, 180K)

>sin & punishment
rail shooters arent shmups user

This alone makes it better than N64

Attached: unnamed.jpg (1023x838, 249K)

Super Mario 64 and OOT were the definitive games from that era. The only games on PlayStation that have come close are final fantasy 7 and metal gear solid, however even those games aren't as groundbreaking as super Mario 64. New things with SM64 are still being discovered to this day.

Railshooters like SF and S&P are shmups you fucking faggot, the only difference is the perspective.

nah

Not the same genre, but they are decent.

yah

Why would I play the worst version of SotN?

Why are there so many fucking fifth gen console wars threads recently?

Worst version of SoTN still shits on N64.

Attached: shake shake.png (256x336, 8K)

/vr/ got too fed up with them

everytime I see an N64 I go "Hey is that a mini?" because of how fucking HUGE the controller is

>that god awful N64 controller was just not fit for fighters.
I don't remember the dpad being particularly bad. There are also 6 face buttons.

C buttons were ultimately impractical for fighters

JUST

N64 is such a freaking case of JUST jobbing
>Really spowerful and cheap hardware
>Easy to program for
And then they went and fucked themselves in the ass hard by going for cartridges they did 90% everything right

Attached: 3569.jpg (576x576, 70K)

Cry more

Everyone knows the library was underwhelming. We all know this shit, so why is it every time I look at Yea Forums the last 2 weeks there is a THE N64 WAS BAD!!!!! thread? Why spend so much time a console that is hardly relevant anymore?
No one is starting SATURN WAS A FAILURE threads.

Dilate

A console with no games?

Attached: 1484925804747.jpg (1360x768, 66K)

SEGA isn't as relevant as Nintendo

I liked FF8

Attached: 1404535389999.gif (253x230, 78K)

>Playstation
OHNONONO

Attached: n2lPCcx.gif (1024x1024, 959K)