Slow burn horror

Lets discuss some "slow burn" horror games that build atmosphere and do not rely on cheap jump scares

Attached: alone.webm (854x480, 2.46M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y8Qdrzi4cDY
youtube.com/watch?v=DuYCxuVKZkc
youtube.com/watch?v=vUrxdSORO2Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Amnesia anybody?

killer7

darkwood

Silent Hill

Eternal Darkness

Attached: 1556711900283.jpg (800x1120, 184K)

>posting selfies

>slow burn
>>>/reddit/

>bone-chilling, snot-tingling, knee-shaking, onions-stealing, poop-smearing, nazi-killing slow burn

Attached: 1565203657442.png (1159x665, 231K)

>atmospheric horror is suddenly not okay anymore because of a shitty Yea Forums meme
I guess slender is the epitome of horror games

>has jumpscares
YIKES!

>2019
>liking things
reddit is that way, kid

OMGGGG SLOW BURNN ITS SO ATMOSPHERIC...... I HATE JUMPSCARES AND LAKE MUNGO IS A GOOD FILM

Attached: soygument.png (660x752, 496K)

Let's get this started

Attached: 1.jpg (2296x2301, 1.37M)

Scratches, rarely see people talking about it too.

Fk off plebs

NPCment detected.

Attached: 1535336251165.jpg (2000x1651, 1.01M)

most scary thing about scratches was that one jumpscare during nightmare. But game was good.

Thanks for the recs

Do you actually prefer shitty jusmpscares?

OK, what movies/video games do you enjoy? :-)

Imagine being so gay that you keep an image like this

Basedgument detected.

NPCment, see

>slow burn
I got a slow burn for ya

Attached: slow burn.gif (399x451, 55K)

Yeah, I also have amnesia, I don't know what that have to do with the thread but I hate not being able to remember a lot of shit.

If you want to experience that just go to Switzerland. Bunkers go on for miles and you will get lost.

This is the dumbest shit I've ever seen

How do you remember having amnesia?

Watch "Memento".

Name some good horror games

I like Prey, but I'm easily scared so I'm not sure if it counts as horror.

The arguments in that image are what you guys are parroting. Holy kek this image is pure kino.

Attached: 6d383c0389f38359455d5bdd609432f7.png (400x225, 48K)

>purposely taking off the movies you like
weak, post the full image

I think this is the fully updated one

Asking someone to list games they enjoy isn't an argument

Isn't Slender part of the non-onions horror?

HAHA LE ONIONS LE BASEDYYYY LE ONIONS ONIONS

that game isn't scary at all

It's a sòygument tho

Attached: 1.png (454x520, 6K)

Anything that could do that sort of game would be called a walking sim and trashed by Yea Forums and even the the ending would be a let down because there's no way to do good horror through a lens.

The Last Door was unironically the best horror game I've ever played.

Attached: 0c583719f30da3880d8b8a12f95bb193_original.png (1552x873, 594K)

>pixel shit
um yikes sweaty

Yeah, pity it was in two parts and the second was literally just schlock lovecraft.

I wish this user was a big tittied goth chick so I could fuck her into sharing my opinions

Attached: 1565185751326.jpg (576x575, 55K)

>I wish this user was a big tittied goth chick so I could fuck her into sharing my opinions

Attached: filename.png (454x520, 6K)

I know these are ironic but You're Next was objectively just a bad movie

The pixelated artstyle actually makes it more scary. Really good writing in the first episode but as says it drops off a bit. still loved it though

Midsommar is kino

That and Lake Mungo. It was getting shilled hard so I actually watched it. Biggest waste of my life ever.

Attached: Snapchat-1723543287.jpg (640x480, 37K)

You're Next was hilarious though

And the best part is no matter how many s󠀀oyjaks you post you still can't disprove that you're a chick with huge hooters

Attached: mfwthinkingofyousuffering.png (572x553, 738K)

>And the best part is no matter how many s󠀀oyjaks you post you still can't disprove that you're a chick with huge hooters

Attached: bitchboyyyyy what sort of nigga fantasises over men, bruh look at this dood 😂😂😂😂😂.png (454x520, 6K)

This, the first one. I still have nightmare about those little shits sometimes.

This is so deep into false flag teritorry that it's actually usable as an earnest list of recommendations if you cross your eyes just right.

What is it falseflagging though? Also I've watched a few from that list, and honestly they weren't scary or remarkable.

it has undertale in it, of course some of the games aren't scary

lmao now his mouth is closed

Attached: benis.png (454x520, 7K)

Oh it's the game version. I was talking about the movie version.

youtube.com/watch?v=y8Qdrzi4cDY

Why are you regurgitating Yea Forumsshit faggot crossposting redditard

>dude pagans are crazy lmao
If this is what's considered kino these days then film as an art form is dead

Attached: screen-shot-2017-03-29-at-3-41-14-pm.png (807x466, 533K)

>fk
dude, this isn't Reddit you're not gonna get banned for saying fuck

I got a retard added to my friend list who makes the exact same retarded onions posts over and over again. Laughing like an idiot to me in private about them and how he's made everyone ''seethe'' and any actual comments given his way about how retarded he is, he just tries to shove them away by hiding the fact he was actually hurt by them by just laughing more and saying how he's so happy that he got his replies and made everyone seethe. Retard can't stop talking in meme terms and buzzwords, everything in his life is just fucked so this is his only coping mechanism.

Take solace in knowing these posters always have it way worse than you and will likely never recover. At the same time, maybe feel bad for them as well and show them a bit of compassion, it's not entirely their fault that they were born with a mental deficit.

Attached: 1561411298291.jpg (300x375, 13K)

>complaining about crossboarding on fucking Yea Forums
This argument only holds merit in important boards like Yea Forums.

>swearing on a Christian website

They took every mildly interesting modern horror movie and called it "onions" because they're dementia rotted skulls can only process the braindead shit spewed out from the Conjuring cinematic universe

>important boards like Yea Forums.

Attached: 1489510345309.jpg (960x720, 63K)

lol true

Where am I wrong? This board is one of the worst boards on Yea Forums.

>filename
Your average 4channer in current year, might as well go to reddit at this point for vidya discussion

ill 2nd this so this thread has less shitposting

Omega Oof and Yikes

Attached: apenoises.jpg (251x236, 9K)

nu/a/ is a reddit tourist spot.

>>filename
>Your average 4channer in current year, might as well go to reddit at this point for vidya discussion

Attached: NOOO WHY DID YOU MAKE YOUR FILENAME DIFFERENT FUCKK FUXK FUCKKK ITS NOT FUCKING FAIRRRRR REEEE 😫� (454x520, 6K)

I liked an indie game simply called "Home". It was a simple 2d sprite point n click game which relies more on atmospheric horror and paranoia, but I thought Yea Forums might enjoy it

>action game
>slow burn
what?

need to polish this one up, doesn't work as well as the movie one
at least modify the headers

the VHS 2 cult segment was great

did you just wake up from a ten year long coma dude
Yea Forums is literally 90% shounenshit generals these days
even Yea Forums is arguably in a better state today

Cement Mixing Simulator 2013. It has arguably the BEST atmosphere and level design of any game, it is a walking sim though.

>Ok this is based... this is deep
Why does this phrase always make me cry laughing? It's just the fact that the person just says "OK, this based..". Fucking hell lmao

Attached: 1565122652614.jpg (250x241, 11K)

How do you feel about horror segments in otherwise non-horror games?

What's your favorite horror game user?

>if I put insults in the image then I'll be immune to criticism
this is some real faggot shit right here and it doesn't even work bitch

What's wrong with jumpscares?

Attached: 1545103798908.gif (637x900, 383K)

>dude muh cheap jump scares
>literally posts a webm with a jumpscare
huh

>not about the horror or slowly burning alive
weak

i dont see how anyone can be afraid of a game that looks like this

you should put Minecraft on this list

lol so true

Sòygument. See the image.
Chadment.

Where's the jumpscare?

Rewatch it, when you see it you'll shit bricks

Right here
*unzips dick voring you*

>STORYTELLING BAD
>ATMOSPHERE BAD
>IF YOU DEMAND QUALITY YOU'RE A BASEDBOY
Fuck off and back to FNAF, NPC

>wasting my time waiting for a skeletal edit

The best horror games aren't horror games.

Attached: 1560351968449.png (188x100, 7K)

Calling jump scares "cheap" doesn't make you sound intelligent. They're a necessary evil.
With the threat of a jumpscare, the slow burn actually work because it gives you something to be afraid of.
It's the same kind of fear as hearing someone break into your house at night and silently creeping around the investigate, the "slow burn" horror in that scenario comes from the fact that the invader could grab your shoulder at any moment, creating a jump scare.

i love cults shit so much
wish aster had cut down on the (un?)intentional comedy though

>tfw the last time I experienced a visceral feeling of horror was playing RE7 in VR
>tfw it gave me a skullcracking headache that lasted for like three days and I don't know if I can physically withstand the experience despite wanting to play some more

Fucking brain problems.

Attached: file.png (1919x1080, 2.48M)

The best kind of horror

The only thing scary about shit like this is the feeling that something will startle you. You don't want to be startled, but it's so dark and still, you feel like anything could do it.

You guys call this "good."

Then something startles you.

You guys call this "bad."

Jumpscares are a tool. Used competently, they can give fangs to the suspense. Used badly, they're just trying to startle you and hoping you equate that with horror.

I enjoyed it in VR, there is nothing more butthole clenching then getting up close and personal with mold and only two bullets in the mag.

>I'm so sick of jumpscares in horror games, they're so cheap!

Attached: 1564431653159.png (359x410, 33K)

Not so fast fuckboy, the image merely says that asking you to recommend some games is a sòygument.
I only ask which one is your favorite.
You're not getting out of having an opinion so easily.

I like games that take place in a spooky setting and have moments of horror, but at it's core, it's an adventure.
The horror aspects don't exactly take center stage, they're just there to make the player feel on edge so that the sense of adventure is far more genuine.
Does anyone get what I mean? It's like, if there's no sense of fear or danger, it's not really an adventure.

What are some games that utilize horror but aren't actually "horror" games? Aside from pic related.

Attached: 1482930172895.png (540x400, 128K)

I usually fly through horror games without a care in the world, but even literally just the first moment where you're going to enter the house, with the pitch black room looming ahead of you, filled me with dread. And then you just automatically turn on the flashlight, which I kind of felt like was the developers poking fun at you if you did get scared.

>What's wrong with jumpscares?
I'm a pussy bitch, user.

I really find much more enjoyment out of horror that builds on an oppressive feeling of dread. That's where the most kino spooky occurs in my opinion.

Basedjack has replaced fedora posting it seems

the shadow temple in Ocarina of Time

The Last Door.

That's the point, you want to keep a feeling of tension throughout the game.
You can spook a person as long as it doesn't immediately relieve you of the tenseness that you're feeling, hell you could have a monster stalking you as long as they lay down the idea that it's not the thing you should be worried about.

You can't do a scary game if the audience knows what to expect.
This is why Alien games will never scare you. "Oh the motion trackers beeping and it's getting closer! oh nooooooo I'm going to act surprised when I finally see the same monster I've seen a hundred times before!?!? Oh noooooooooooooo my squaddie got a face hugger on him but now he's okay! I'm totally gonna act surprised when an alien bursts out of his chest!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I set the self destruct but the alien didn't show up at all on my way to the escape pod!?!?!?!?!? I wonder where he could be hiding!!!!!!!!!!!??!?!??!?!?"
Good horror and suspense can only ever come from originality and very few games possess the slightest hint of originality.

Ah fuck you got me.
Honestly? I know it's top shit taste but Until Dawn. It was a B-Movie in essence but it kept the suspense theoughout.

Doom 3. Monster closets excluded it did unsettle me quiet a bit especially as you got closer into Delta Labs

It's actually a pretty good recommendation list, thanks !

Correct me if im wrong but isn't "slow burn" used to describe fanfiction?

That's why DDLC is good. Mixing upbeat anime life with unsettling elements is top tier

Donut County

Absolutely based.

Attached: 1538069560838.png (360x340, 7K)

Is this any good?

Attached: H2x1_NSwitchDS_Observer_image1600w[1].jpg (1600x800, 196K)

Play it, then.

lol so true

>NPCment
>"Imagine actually spending time making that image"
The image is shit but this is spot on, people saying that are NPCs.
>imagine actually spending time on something you wanted to make that you weren't ordered to do by Mr.Goldstein, what a waste of time how can you spend time not turning the hamster wheel for money?????

Slow burn is used to describe a lot of things. Lemon is a fanfic term, but that's not what anyone's talking about when they say they have lemon-scented disinfectant (hopefully).

sound design

The real horror experience is getting a boot error on your computer. It seems to have been a false alarm though. Hopefully.

Attached: giphy[5].gif (498x281, 1006K)

bro how did ppl entertain themselves b4 computers dam

this. not my type of game, but the first few nights were genuinely fucking scary
>completely silent for a minute straight
>sudden knocking on the door
>stops a minute later
>complete silence until dawn
so fucking simple but it genuinely gave me chills

>Midsommar is kino

Attached: 1521463483043.gif (413x243, 51K)

doesn't it have furries?

It's why old timey families had like 16 kids.

I'm so fucking tired of these spooky house themepark indie horror games.

>Villain kills millions of innocent men, women, and children for absolutely no reason
Vidya for this awful feel

Attached: 783_v9_ba.jpg (1080x1440, 285K)

no

What, you don't like the majesty of corporate terrorism bearing down your throat?

your moms pussy is a slow burn

If you're a zoomer you're probably really scared by pools or empty rooms so maybe play Counter-Strike custom levels?

yeah, Hitler really had a tough time fighting that villain Stalin

>wojak shit

Attached: 1559323362634.png (936x1404, 1.74M)

>he didn't answer the door
Missed out, buddy.

Imagine spending time making this. Just imagine. Notice they refuse to recommend anything, too. Just sling meme names at anyone who calls you out for being a massive sperg. These are truly the most NPC and s|o|y posts imaginable.

Imagine posting on Yea Forums

The outer wilds made me feel bad, in a scary way

I was genuinely too scared, it was on the other side of the house where I didn't have lamps. does anything happen or are you pulling my leg

>buying a game for the horror
>knowing it's a horror game
>the suspense is now ruined because you know what kind of game it is
why can't we get more surprise horror games?

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 72K)

See You're literally an NPC who immediately says "wow imagine spending time on thing". As opposed to what, seething over the image? Get some testosterone in you, fast.

there's nothing there except a letter on the ground, it's an invitation to a wedding. Which leads to a very cool and pants-shitting event.

>Watched
>Movie
Kill yourself

might actually reinstall now, thanks

best sherlock holmes game.

> cheap jump sca-
yeah shut the fuck up

Attached: 1556710219493.webm (640x360, 374K)

their are only few good jump scares in gaming history.

Alone in the Dark 1 and Resident Evil 1.

It happens like the first or second night, so you won't have to get far in. There's honestly a lot of cool shit that's very easy to miss.

many jumpscares are cheap though. good jumpscares are a payoff of built up tension, a game should never rely on it

>Half-Life
>Scary

Can't be both.

Why is /tv absolutely the worst board on Yea Forums(nel)?

>boo

Attached: v1fpxrg2o5q21.png (1920x1080, 2.6M)

only issue I had with the game was the inventory management stuff and crafting. I wish they would've pulled off the survival aspect without it

no, not even close. take a stroll around /r9k/ and come back

Must suck being such a faggot

>"n-no cheap jumpscares!"
a whole thread of effeminate males!

Attached: soy.png (231x218, 8K)

it's the simple things, this place really is funny sometimes

yeah I'm not the biggest fan of crafting stuff but I like the scavenging for wood to barricade doors and windows part at least. once you slap on a durability upgrade to whatever weapon you're using it gets a lot less annoying, though.

this image makes zero sense, I don't even know where to fucking start

Rent free and hypocrites, if you fags really dislike reddit so much, how are you so good at recognising reddit memes,buzzwords and the post format.

I've coming to this shithole since before reddit existed and everything I know about it is from you flaseflagging, virtue signaling zoomers pretending like you used the internet before mommy bought you a smartphone

Attached: thumbnail_6261870483793942863.jpg (400x300, 37K)

"cheap jumpscares" implies there's another, better variation of jumpscares, so there's nothing wrong with that sentence

I'm glad I'm not the only one who laughs at the smallest things

Ikana Canyon in Majoras Mask still scares me. That fucking soundtrack.
youtube.com/watch?v=DuYCxuVKZkc

Attached: ikana_canyon_by_tmcomics_d83fco4-fullview.jpg (1024x724, 108K)

Man this takes me back to my urban-exploration days.

>Rent free and hypocrites, if you fags really dislike reddit so much, how are you so good at recognising reddit memes,buzzwords and the post format.
>I've coming to this shithole since before reddit existed and everything I know about it is from you flaseflagging, virtue signaling zoomers pretending like you used the internet before mommy bought you a smartphone

Attached: tu.png (454x520, 6K)

Any jumpscare that makes you piss your slim fit jeans are 'cheap', I'd wager.

Wojak is getting worse than pepe, holy shit.

Attached: 1565369018352.png (481x394, 103K)

no, just the ones that are overused. I like a couple of good jumpscares to release tension

>Rent free and hypocrites, if you fags really dislike reddit so much, how are you so good at recognising reddit memes,buzzwords and the post format.
>I've coming to this shithole since before reddit existed and everything I know about it is from you flaseflagging, virtue signaling zoomers pretending like you used the internet before mommy bought you a smartphone

Attached: 1559902960197.jpg (1281x1200, 120K)

on that, i really enjoyed the jumpscares that were in White Day, how they'd be incorporated into the enemy AI and occasionally pull a fast one when you thought you were in the clear, -maybe-. That shit really got me.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 12K)

Horror is like everything else that involves having specific tastes. "Action" is well categorized and has a defined set of things it has to follow in order for it to be action. This is generally speaking about films/shows. For horror specifically, this becomes a problem. A game can be classified as "action horror", but how? Resident Evil 4. Some horrifying abominations right there, and the general atmosphere is one of horror. Then Leon German suplexes a couple of dudes, and the horror kind of goes out the window. But it still, in general, works well. Similarly, Bloodborne is almost entirely based on existential and cosmic horror, yet there is action-based combat. It still works.

MIXING horror with something else (for games) is generally a very good idea. Pure horror is far, far more difficult to implement. First of all, people find different things scary or unsettling. Some of you may prefer jumpscared, some of you prefer the slow burn atmospheric type horror. Some of you may find the real horror is in notes, lore, backstories, character motivations, etc.

It's just different for everyone. What we know so far is that a good level design and a great lighting system and atmosphere is typically the best place to start when it comes to games. Sound design is incredibly important as well (see: P.T.) because it gives the player a sense of true immersion. The blowing wind, the dark corners, the one dim light illuminating a large empty room. The rest is really a gamble.

Attached: 1564454845584.jpg (827x1000, 94K)

Attached: f54.jpg (1378x1142, 98K)

anything on that list that resembles event horizon? love that movie to death.

Keep saying it

The duality of man

Attached: 1.png (526x521, 132K)

Attached: fc,550x550,white.u2.jpg (550x550, 22K)

Attached: 214271-call-of-cthulhu-dark-corners-of-the-earth-windows-front-cover.jpg (800x1132, 137K)

Keep saying it

Being startled is not being scared. You can get one, maybe two good jumpscares in a game before it feels cheap and trite, and over reliance will cause even that to lose effect. Proper atmospheric dread will just keep building.

Of course, if you burn out your ability to feel fear regarding fiction, atmosphere and storytelling becomes all that much more important, while jumpscares only become annoying.

this thread fucking sucks. play mandrill maze or something

dilate

formerly feeds and seeds

Attached: 611fc6b41a3dd2a6bd8a9ffb0ea31c07.jpg (700x477, 53K)

Keep saying it

One more just for you sweety

Attached: images.jpg (260x194, 9K)

Off yourselves.

lol so true

Keep saying it

Chadment.

Fuck this thread is gay shit

I love when a game isn't even really a horror game but still has that weird segment where everything is scary as shit.

Silent Hill: Alchemilla HL2 mod, to a fault.

This thread is what happens when you combine Yea Forums and Yea Forums

Well hello smegmaking

This thread is like half of Yea Forums's cancer concentrated. All it needs is some console war shit and it'd have everything.

ps3 sux

first half of underhell was fucking horrifying, something was so fucking off in that house even when nothing was happening. the source engine is really good for horror when I think about it

Spine chilling though?

more like
no games station 3

What the fucking fuck is this thread?

Also Subnautica first playthrough has great spooky atmosphere.

it's some awful new meme from Yea Forums
also I found the artstyle of subnautica a bit too cartoony to actually be scary

anyone remember that car horror game? Beware?

Have you played all of it? Legit question, because I found entering the Blood Kelp Forest or going outside the Crater Edge to be fucking terrifying.

nope, not much. I'm not that big into crafting games, just gave it a shot

You get /tb/ - tuberculosis?

Dunno wtf you're talking about bro it's not like anyone says alien is good because the jumpscares are super epin and sick, it's the tension trying to avoid the alien. Like holy shit you're a fag, honestly. Of all the shitty jumpscare games you could use you pick one of the best horror games ever that happens to have jumpscares like what a retard.

But you're right when you know the game is going to scare you it loses effect. That's why straight "horror" games aren't that scary. Whereas you throw something in like the cult level from SWAT or the nightmares from Max Payne it takes you off guard and spooks you

Prey isn't really scary to me, but I'll admit that the Nightmare appearing sometimes makes me jump a bit

What the fuck is wrong with this board, half the posts are bait and wojak edits

Yes I love jewish propaganda too

>YES!!!! HORROR GAMES SHOULD NOT HAVE JUMPSCARES AT ALL!!!! IN FACT YOU SHOULDNT EVEN BE ABLE TO SEE THE ENEMIES!!!!!

Attached: 1565273632414.png (454x520, 219K)

No offense but you sound like a sissy.

lol so true

none taken, immersing myself in vidya is fun

this is you

Attached: 1546597614947.jpg (323x412, 40K)

@473531772
who are you quoting?

Attached: 1389948324015.gif (338x350, 960K)

>who are you quoting?

Attached: 1563527037568.png (805x851, 89K)

its a nice lil walking sim

how fucking massive is your soi folder? you've been going for hours

>how fucking massive is your soi folder? you've been going for hours

Attached: 1564001009283.png (475x619, 92K)

She says while posting over the top gookshit.

THAT FUCKING THING SCARED ME EVERYTIME I GO THROUGH THAT HALLWAY WHY

What’s that Japanese one?

wow it really is the same user, I was kinda hoping you had more to do by now

Here's what happens if you explore waterways in my homeland
youtube.com/watch?v=vUrxdSORO2Q

>Imagine actually spending time making that image
>"No I do not make images like that, how could you tell?

Attached: (Photo).png (300x337, 42K)

Based

>wow it really is the same user, I was kinda hoping you had more to do by now

Attached: 1564001891437.png (536x467, 147K)

>actually taking the effort of ban evading just to talk to me
fuck I'm so flattered

I just got a warning tranny

Attached: 1564001681295.jpg (785x731, 112K)

keep saying it

>warning tranny
are these some new Yea Forums special forces?