GOG has existed since 2008...

GOG has existed since 2008, if developers honestly believe Steam is a monopoly then why didn't they switch to publishing on GOG instead? They've had over a decade to do so.

Attached: (JPEG Image, 225 × 225 pixels).jpg (225x225, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

danbo.vg/2019/08/07/steam-exclusives.html
lootpots.com/articles/steamworld-quest-hand-of-gilgamech-comes-first-to-nintendo-switch-in-2019-23012019/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

probably because of the politics surrounding gog and cd projekt

>if developers honestly believe Steam is a monopoly
no one with triple digit IQ actually does
anyone who claims that is either a shill or pretending to be a shill for (you)s

Attached: 1513204557005.png (235x240, 95K)

Nobody with a double digit IQ believes it either. That's just a shill buzzword.

Because GOG is DRM free, and publishers have an autistic need to put DRM into every game they possibly can to secure their precious first few weeks of sales.

No matter how stupid a statement, there exists someone stupid enough to believe it

1. gog releases are all no DRM
2. the people who buy from gog are a small fraction of the people who buy from steam
3. you're a moron

A lot of publisher are now on GOG and are slowly bringing their games over.
>Blizzard is now on GOG too

nobody worth anything in the industry believes Steam is a monopoly, lad

well, I guess 75 iq brainlets like rami ismail do, but they mostly parrot that in hopes of epic stuffing their money covered dick down their throats

>the people who buy from gog are a small fraction of the people who buy from steam

also true for epic store, though. and it's not something that has any chance of changing in less than like, what, 5 years?

that only applies to the really, really bad publishers though.

>that only applies to the really, really bad publishers though
That would be a majority of them then user.

>2. the people who buy from gog are a small fraction of the people who buy from steam
Not an argument, just because it's user base is smaller than Steam's doesn't change the fact that it exists as a viable alternative.

because devs and publishers are dishonest, lying kikes

>danbo.vg/2019/08/07/steam-exclusives.html
>"Steam takes too much of my money."
>"Steam’s a monopoly"
>"I’d prefer to work with fewer DLC launcher apps and unaccountable companies, not more"
>Game isn't on GOG
Strange!

They just want Epic's bag of money. There's no monopoly on PC.

It's not that easy to get your games on GoG, they'll reject you if they don't think your game is a genre that sells well and if you launch on Steam first and prove yourself there they'll still reject you until you resubmit it so it launches with a Title Update.

TinyBuild refused to update their games on GOG because of "piracy" on GOG. Lmfao.
As if their games on Steam aren't cracked and pirated immediately.

>they'll reject you if they don't think your game is a genre that sells well
How horrible, gatekeeping like this is disgusting. Imagine just how much better off GoG would be if it did away with these ridiculous standards of theirs.

Attached: ss_b208def4d78a761118a0a79ed9f9d93992d831c4.1920x1080.0.jpg (1200x800, 35K)

Epic bribed the devs. Epic had a storefront before Fortnite was a thing and noone came either.

Only once they had an infinite money printing machine did other games really started getting locked into exclusive deals.

$$$

Attached: afd.jpg_large.jpg (680x389, 24K)

Because
>most people don't even know gog exists
>many publishers don't want their games to be drm free

Thronebreaker was a game that was very well received by critics and players. It is set in the Witcher universe as well.
The game sold so poorly on gog that they had to put it on Steam.

It's not that Steam was a proper monopoly, but a pseudo one. As in if your game wasn't on Steam on PC, it didn't sell.
Even if buying the game on gog was a better idea, most people simply buys it on Steam.

Attached: 1440060554381.gif (170x123, 1.57M)

>TinyBuild
literally who? but that's amoral and disgusting. imagine shitting on your paying customers this much. if I were one of them I would make sure to pirate their shit in the future out of principle alone

>console gamer giving his shitty opinion on PC gaming again
Day 1 pirate all this "dev" games from now on.

Curation is infinitely better than your storefront becoming Steam, where literally any dogshit """"game"""" is allowed onto. From atrocious asset flips to scams to school shooting simulators.

>Thronebreaker was a game that was very well received by critics and players. It is set in the Witcher universe as well.
it's a piece of shit card game and the card game market is extremely small, niche, oversaturated and competitive.
Valve ate shit with Artifact for that very same reason despite it being on your precious Steam and literally having billions of funds to throw at it.
the faggots who play cardshitter games exclusively stick to the established ones.
your example is retarded.

>t. too dumb to use a search bar
This isn't Walmart where your have to waddle past the pools and toilet paper to get to your video games.

Because GOG actually curates.

No, it's because Epic is currently spending millions and millions of dollars to try and force players to their storefronts while having those same developers alienate the people they're pandering towards. If I was Epic I'd be writing some very stern fucking emails.

>it's a piece of shit card game and the card game market is extremely small, niche, oversaturated and competitive.
You don't know wtf you're talking about, especially when you start dragging in shit like Artifact.

Card games are very popular right now, even indie ones. You're admitting that you're ignorant and sleeping under a rock. I bet you haven't even heard of titles like Slay the Spire.
I can't believe I even wasted a reply on yor stupid fucking ass. This is the only one you'll get.

Just buy games from G2A if you hate gaming companies.

Ignore the other guy, you're getting two replies. Good job, bud.

>too dumb to realize most people don't want trash and it severely hurts discoverability.

The very reason indie titles are doing so well on for example the Switch is because it isn't clogged with shit. It has even gotten to the point where they prioritize Switch over other platforms.

You think you're smart, but you're in fact dumb as fuck since you think that what you do is whateveryone else does. I'm not talking about me either, but the mass market.

It's little wonder that Steam ignores indie devs after the damage they've caused
>Steam curates their games and only lets ones they deem "high quality" in
>Indies complain because it's "gatekeeping"
>Steam relaxes requirements and begins allowing small waves of games through as voted by users
>Indies complain because "only popular games are getting through!"
>Steam further relaxes requirements and begins allowing basically anything through
>Indies complain that now too many games are on Steam and their super special amazing totally-not-an-asset-flip game is being drowned out by all the others
>Steam adds tags to help make finding relevant games easier
>Indies complain that tags are being used to "harass" them by tagging Android ports as Android ports, or walking sims as walking sims.
>Steam complies with government legislation in the most basic way possible by requiring 2 hours of less playtime for a refund
>Indies complain because people are now refunding their awful games
>Steam puts on a sale
>Indies complain because they made more money than usual but not as much money as they'd like.

Indies have been nothing but a cancer to Steam, I'd honestly rather go back to the days when it was nothing but AAA shit.

The only publishers willing to help YandereDev and get him a programmer that knows how to code which YandereDev "fired" because the code was so good, he had no fucking clue what does what despite documentation.

Valve wants minimal human management. This applies to customer service, etc. This is why they want to automate everything. But the automation is shit.

All my store front pages show high-quality stuff. I've never seen an asset flip without being direct-linked to it. Walking through my steam discovery queue only shows things that look interesting, or like they'd be interesting to someone who likes that style of game. I honestly don't know how you'd find shovelware without looking for it by name.

Ask Amazon about "discoverability". They seem to be doing fine.

Is there anyone more entitled than a game developer?

They'll tell you gamers are entitled, while conveniently forgetting they themselves are gamers.

>Is there anyone more entitled than a game developer?
Yea Forums

>Spend years pushing the narrative that DRM is an absolute necessity and that anyone who argues otherwise is an entitled baby who just wants to pirate
>People eventually go with the lesser of many evils and side with the DRM platform with the highest degree of convenience
>Large swathes of people end up with hundreds and even thousands of dollarsworth of games tied to this one platform
>Act surprised and even offended when those people show some degree of attachment to that platform and the huge amounts of money they have invested into it
If Steam is a monopoly (it isn't) then it's only that way because developers are to blame for pushing it.

It doesn't matter if you feel that your Steam is fine. Indie games sell better on other systems, like Switch, for the very reason of poor exposure.

If people actively have to start digging for games (remember, most people do not keep tabs on the latest release dates, etc.) the most people won't bother. If the first thing someone sees when they enter the storefront are a bunch of new indie releases then that's what they will click on and look more at.

Also the Steam systems, discovery queue or whatever is fucking garbage. I've spent what feels like years trying to tell if what I want and don't want to see yet it keeps throwing utter garbage in my face. Like what in the fuck is the garbage pictured? Never have I played dating sims, visual novels, added them to wishlist, choosing anything but ignore, etc. yet trash like this still shows up.

Attached: Capture.jpg (1041x636, 119K)

>if developers honestly believe Steam is a monopoly
They don't have a problem with a monopoly, they just say they do when they get handed a fat stack of cash because the person who gave it to them told them to.

>>Act surprised and even offended when those people show some degree of attachment to that platform and the huge amounts of money they have invested into it
That's simple-mindedness. The same kind mobile games prey upon with their microtransaction methods.
Any game you own on steam automatically has less value than owning the same game on gog.

Show me sales figures.

I'd love for this to be true, but I sometimes feel bad about buying games on GOG that have workshop features in the steam version.

It was a pseudo monopoly because if your game wasn't on steam it wouldn't sell. This is what Valve abused. So the word "monopoly" might not be entirely accurate, but that doesn't make the problem any less of a problem.

>Example is an indie card game rather than what people think of as "real" games.
You know damn well those already have trouble making decent sales and get their money from a small pool of players who keep paying in.

>I'd love for this to be true

I prefer to actually own my games. Maybe you don't.

>if your game wasn't on steam it wouldn't sell
There's plenty of counter examples to your claim. Should we start, or are you going to admit you're full of shit?

>If people actively have to start digging for games (remember, most people do not keep tabs on the latest release dates, etc.) the most people won't bother.
>tfw I actually do this and find it enjoyable.
Going on game expeditions is fun, and it's way easier than it used to be. Just going by recent releases is boring, and I end up not witnessing interesting stuff.

You're misreading my post. I prefer buying on GOG. Fortunately, my tastes are such that workshop features are rarely important. But it's hard to deny the value to a developer of the modding distribution system Valve created.

Sales figures of what?
Also do you think people just bookmark a million shit on demand so they can try and convince ignorant people? Yeah, no. I don't give a shit if you want to remain ignorant and delusional. It's a waste of time trying to convince the close-minded.
It's not like you can see this pattern all the fucking time in the news, from indie devs statements and w/e
lootpots.com/articles/steamworld-quest-hand-of-gilgamech-comes-first-to-nintendo-switch-in-2019-23012019/

So by all means stay ignorant, you fuck.

no chinese money as support

Valve has become the Combine

>There's plenty of counter examples to your claim

Prime example has already been mentioned with Thronebreaker.
If you're gonna shit out shit like Battle.net or some shit you're pretty fucking retarded.
But go ahead and believe if you had the same kind of exposure on storefronts other than Steam. Go right ahead.

Why are steamdrones such angry militant weirdos? What about virtual toy stores makes you so emotional?

>If developers think steam is a monopoly why didn't developers just put their games on this "competing platform" that takes the same cut, is less popular, and only exists to make piracy easier

Attached: 15534561235.png (617x673, 139K)

>I don't give a shit if you want to remain ignorant
Asking for more info is the literal opposite of wanting to remain ignorant.

>Going on game expeditions is fun
Doesn't matter what you think, the average consumer doesn't.
It's the same kind of mentality as
>well i don't buy lootboxes, so why do they sell?

>Buh why don't people get mad at games being exclusive to Steam???
Because that's the dev/publisher's choice, dipshit. The only reason they're "exclusive" is because they didn't bother to put it up on their own website to purchase independently.

Attached: Better_platform_than_Epic_AND_Steam.png (1087x343, 173K)

>they'll reject you if they don't think your game is a genre that sells well
Your game looked like shit, user, I'm sorry. They don't discriminate by genre. They let fucking VNs, JRPGs and card games on the storefront.

>politics surrounding gog
What?

>It would be stupid to put your game on two stores to get double money instead of one store to get some money!
Good job, wojack poster.

>actually own
everything is LICENSED to you. you don't own any games unless you made them. if your definition of ownership is that it's DRM-free and can't be taken from you, you get as much "ownership" from piracy.

I didn't submit a game, I'm relating the experiences of game dev friends who have. And they were legit games from real genres. One was a Shmup and the other was an Crusader: No Remorse style action game

In what kind of bubble do you live?
I was a huge fan of Gwent but the Homecoming patch BUTCHERED the game and most people I talked too feel the same about it. They fucked up.

>taking it literally
Being able to lose access to a "library" of digitally owned games because the storefront dies, decides to remove games, ban you, etc. is not something I will ever support.
I don't even buy games on Steam anymore.

Steam was big from the get go because of Dota 2.

>Prime example has already been mentioned with Thronebreaker.
>GUYS THIS ONE SPECIFIC GAME DID BAD DESPITE BEING GOOD THAT MEANS THERE'S NO ACTUAL COMPETITION!!!
You're a fucking disingenuous jackass and you know it.
We could just ignore the Uplays and the Origins and the battle.nets and the epic and ignore weird situations like Square Enix (yeah, their MMOs are on Steam, but you're fucking crazy if you think even a fraction of the playerbase uses those versions), or even your shitty korean mmos and stuff, but I get this feeling that so long as I use a successful game as an example of a game being successful without Steam you'll argue that it doesn't count despite your argument being that Steam is needed for success.

Let's get to the heart of it. You're letting it slip with phrasing like
>But go ahead and believe if you had the same kind of exposure on storefronts other than Steam.
that you're a salty ass indie. Your failures are your own, user. Your game doesn't sell because you failed to market it, you failed to make it engaging, and you failed to build an audience. That's not on any storefront or decision to put it here or there. That's on you.

>thronebreaker is gwent
They're two seperate games. Thronebreaker uses different rules and is focused on narrative, exploration, choices and puzzles.

That last one sounds like it could be fun though.

Steam was big because of counter strike and later hl2 and cs:s etc. dota shit was like decade later.

You realize GOG has a lot of shooters of both varieties already, right? That's not a "this genre doesn't sell well" thing. That's a "they think your game is shit and won't sell" thing.

What storefronts were actual competition to Steam?
If you think either Uplay or Origin were legit competitors to Steam you're not very bright.

>They can't succeed!
>Tons of shit succeeds.
>B-but they aren't COMPETITION!
Keep moving those goalposts. We were talking about individual games, not platforms. I used those names as shorthand for games that launched exclusively on them.

Jews fear the DRM-free

Is it a universal truth that wojack posts are always dogshit?

GOG, origin, Uplay, Microsoft's store
>N-no those weren't real competition!
And real communism has never been tried before, amirite?

It's not just retarded publishers that think Steam's DRM somehow matters but dumbfuck indie devs as well who release their games on Steam but not on GOG despite the game not even needing DRM in the first place.

Just because they lose doesn't mean they aren't competitors.

So you're telling me Uplay, Origin, etc. were filled with games from other publishers and devs? Is this what you're saying?
Or do you consider attempts to move away from Steam's revenue split, etc. and create their own storefronts for their own games to be legit competition to Steam?
Even though they also eventually allowed their games back on Steam anyway (but if their games sold so well, then clearly they would have no reason to do this).
No, go ahead and educate me oh wise one.

Because 95% of the PC audience think Steam is synonymous with PC games and will not buy any game that isn't on Steam.

>Even though they also eventually allowed their games back on Steam anyway
Some of them, for the extra bux because why not, but not all of them. Look at Apex, that shit still isn't on Steam and made some damn nice money. It's not making fortnite bucks anymore, but it was a success.

Are you done moving goalposts or are you willing to admit games can absolutely succeed without Steam? Should we bring in Minecraft? Because Minecraft proves you wrong without a shadow of a doubt. Why does that not count? Go on.

How are they even remotely competitors to Steam? Just because they exist doesn't make them relevant. Valve could've give less of a shit about them because most people do not give a shit about those storefronts. Most people do not use them. Most games don't get released on them, etc.

If a game is avaliable on say GoG and Steam, where would most people buy it on? On Steam of course. Even though it'd be a worse deal since they get less, it's not DRM free, Valve doesn't modify the executables to actually run (VtMB for example doesn't run by default on newer systems while the GoG version does), etc.
There are a bunch of people (on Yea Forums as well) that go to bat for Valve. They're actual fanboys of Steam.

But no, go ahead and believe that there are no problems with Steam and everyone that even suggests anything remotely negative about it are lying idiots. Steam and Valve are perfect and saviours of the indsutry.

GOG didn't offer them a fat wad of cash upfront.

>But no, go ahead and believe that there are no problems with Steam
Nobody said that you schizophrenic fuck. You made stupid sweeping statements and keep moving the goalposts every time you're proven wrong.

>Some of them, for the extra bux because why not, but not all of them
No, most of them. Exceptions are rare.

>Look at Apex, that shit still isn't on Steam and made some damn nice money
Yes, exceptions prove the norm. Thanks for having my back.
You also conventiently forgot that other devs and publishers don't put their games on those storefronts. If they do they are few and far betwee. Exceptions.

> It's not making fortnite bucks anymore, but it was a success.
Because they got lucky and wisely invested in streamers to market the game for them. But Im sure you're going to tell me indie devs can do this. The ones that are hurt the most by Steam's lack of good discoverability. The most EGC is convicing to move away from Steam. The ones prioritizing the Switch over PC.

You're so incredibly delusional and close-minded it's staggering. The fact that you think exceptions support your claims when they do the exact opposite is also impressively stupid.

TICK TOCK STEAMDRONES
TICK TOCK

>No, most of them. Exceptions are rare.
And? Your argument is that it was neither viable nor possible. There's proof that your claim is wrong, which is actually impressive given how few devs even try.
>You also conventiently forgot that other devs and publishers don't put their games on those storefronts.
I didn't? You said nobody could be successful outside of Steam. I'm pointing out that yes, they can.
>But Im sure you're going to tell me indie devs can do this.
Again, heart of the issue. You're just an autistic fuck who failed with his passion project and you're screaming and raving about Steam now, ignoring your own arguments and moving the goalposts as you shit yourself with fury.

Get the fuck over yourself. Nobody's arguing that Steam has the lion's share of the market or that developers are often too cowardly to strike out and do their own thing. Nobody's arguing that it's not difficult for indies to make their own mark outside of Steam.

But they can.
You're just another fucking failure in the pile.

The fuck?

Why would developers give a fuck? They just want money.

Because they want DRM

GoG's practices just don't make sense sometimes, like that time they refused to carry Opus Magnum, but had all the other zachtronics games.

like Bethesda? or EA? or Blizz-Activision? or...

Yes

Because until a few years ago everything on GoG were games that cdpr bought licenses for, the revenue was 100% theirs.

This. Any amount of work is too much work.

Based retard.

Not all developers like the idea of releasing their games with absolutely no DRM.

Not only that, but the curation is insane. They want you to bend over backwards for them so they can release your game without corporate fuckery. It's the opposite of how it should be.

GOG.com doesn't has a monopoly on DRM-free stores.

>Card games are very popular right now, even indie ones.
>I bet you haven't even heard of titles like Slay the Spire.
Lol, ok you nerd.

I wish GOG would go back to excactly that: Good Old Games, and start acquiring and release games pre 1999. So much modern shit now.