Why was this so meh?

Why was this so meh?

Did the series peak with Galaxy, I cannot see where they go from there desu

Attached: H2x1_NSwitch_SuperMarioOdyssey.jpg (2000x1000, 1.11M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3vdMbB_tL-U
youtube.com/watch?v=Egsz3TciHLU
youtube.com/watch?v=s8Mx18uR1dY
youtube.com/watch?v=QKUFFiZXuE8
youtube.com/watch?v=hLPsqY79BAE
youtube.com/watch?v=lllIhkq57Rc
youtube.com/watch?v=4vWAZfLuNoE
youtube.com/watch?v=H4SomOznbiE
youtube.com/watch?v=9d76GIP090E
youtube.com/watch?v=aprvDnM5H6A
youtube.com/watch?v=lv2YYE99ak0
youtube.com/watch?v=xpYK8q6mw88
youtube.com/watch?v=ZcE34q0EIHU
youtube.com/watch?v=FDipmAmLC38
youtube.com/watch?v=EmD9WnLYR5I
youtube.com/watch?v=zokxa9mG358
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

thanks for the desu your opinion is now void

fuck off desu

Odyssey's ok
3D Mario is far from having peaked and retains a ton of potential. Something like Galaxy's level design slapped on a game that isn't slow as molasses with shallow movement options would be great.

Odyssey was better than Galaxy, though.

YAWN

Attached: bing_different.png (1920x1080, 1016K)

Nah, Mario controls the worst in this out of all the 3D ones

Its like they took the Mario from 3D world and put him into a 64/Sunshine designed game

he feels slow, jumps are way too low and swims like shit

Nope, sorry.

>Why was this so meh?
It wasn't

>meh

Go back to playing Bloodborne on your PS4 then

No, I am playing this along with Zelda and Katana Zero

PS4 is dead until november

>Did the series peak with Galaxy
>the game that stripped Mario of ALL momentum-based movement/physics while attempting a severely under-utilized planetoid mechanic that took a backseat in latter levels and the sequel to attempt floating obstacles similar to what would later appear in 3D Land/World except with the same floaty space physics so even basic platforming was super unsatisfying and sluggish

>Where can Nintendo go from here
Nintendo makes a game with a heavy focus on user customisation and being able to modify the game, featuring editors with a wide variety of powerful tools for creating levels or possibly entirely new game mechanics.
Nintendo then runs a service where users can publish their modifications and browse each-others' modifications.
As a result, players can customise the game to suit their personal interests.
>Where will Nintendo go from here
Shut down fan projects at the speed of light and fart out a half-assed "editor" that can't do even 1/10th of what a decent rom editor can.
Earn literally a billion dollars because Nintendo fans will buy low quality products and support the C&Ding of superior fan projects as long as Nintendo does it.

>muh momentum based gameplay

go and play sonic if thats your thing, and sunshine didn'thave it either, not to the extent of 64

>and sunshine didn'thave it either
>FLUDD and water literally let Mario transform any surface into a water slide that quickly accelerates his ground speed which carries over to flips and subsequent chains of jumps
>the spin jump
>snappiest side-somersault and fastest wall jumps

Sunshine has a faster dive you can repeat into the weird corkscrew(?) hop and you can make a slip and slide almost anywhere.

Attached: ss_sms_pre117.jpg (600x450, 53K)

>go and play sonic if thats your thing
Or he could play 64/Sunshine/Odyssey. Galaxy 1 & 2 are essentially building blocks for 3D World.

Attached: 1320817611232.jpg (1024x768, 211K)

>he feels slow
he's faster but the long jump got nerfed
>jumps are way too low
yeah
long jump, spin jump, and flip are too low
>and swims like shit
sunshine still has the worst swimming out of all the 3d marios

SMO is great and the galaxy games were shit.

>Out of all
He's using the Galaxy style of movement. Not the 64/Sunshine. So it is equal between those three games. 64/Sunshine movement is infinitely superior, feels better and allows you more freedom in movement. I couldn't do half of what I used to do in Sunshine in Odyssey or Galaxy.

Mario Galaxy is literally in the top 5 best games of all time, its platforming perfection

Sick of niggas who prefer that shitty sunshine game, FLOOD was fucking awful

No it is not.
Galaxy was wonky and janky beyond belief. Stop acting like it's the best just because it was the first that you played.

>its platforming perfection
I'd put 3, World, and every single fucking DKC game before it.

mario bros 3 was the first one I played zoomer I was 14 when Galaxy came out

kys

Fludd is inded fucking awful, which is why you use Mario's other movement options to maneuver around the stages. He's perfectly capable with limited to no usage of the Hover Nozzle. That, of course, would require actually commiting to the game, which is beyond the expectations that I have of you.

>platforming perfection
Look, I hated most of Sunshine, but Galaxy 1 was Wasted Potential: The Game. Despite the whole gravity gimmick, platforming was pretty basic, the difficulty barely ramps up, and then 2 practically threw everything away to be a generic jump game.

Attached: 6d8.jpg (238x480, 28K)

because you want straight line platforming. like you were used too with all the 3d land mario galaxy 2 mario maker.

Why would I neglect the main mechanic of the game

did you not use the spin move in Galaxy or Hat in Odyssey?

>14 when galaxy came out
Want a cookie, kid?

>Mario Galaxy is literally in the top 5 best games of all time
and 64 and Odyssey are above it lol

Dude it came out in 2007 hes 26 now

64 is nostalgia bait and has shitty designed stages

Odyssey feels souless, why the fuck are there so many useless collectables

>buzzwords
so much for bringing up the best games of all time lmao

It's just a worse Banjo Kazooie without the charm

Glad to see they're people who puts Galaxyfags on their place.

Attached: 1345282282277.jpg (300x300, 12K)

how is "shitty designed stages" a buzzword

cope

Go back to 64 (on unmodded hardware) and tell me with a straight face it still feels better to play
woah, didn't know you could spin jump or roll in Galaxy then

>He's using the Galaxy style of movement
He literally isn't.

Sunshinefags wouldnt know good platforming if it hit them in the face

go paint some more shit or whatever you guys do in that game

they went overboard with the amount of collectables to the point where it's quantity over quality.
it should've been 200/250 max, not fucking 830.

>if you shit on Galaxy, you must like Sunshine
They're both shit for different reasons
One is a piss easy snorefest with tacked on motion gimmick bloat shit and the other is a blatantly unfinished 3D Mario with a weak primary gimmick and 'secret' levels relying on tedious shit like leaf boats

I´m replaying Galaxy on stream right now and it feels pretty good, can´t really say it´s the best but goddamn is it fun

Attached: linchman.gif (400x224, 2.7M)

your stream, give it to me.

Beach bowl galaxy might be the best level in the game
youtube.com/watch?v=3vdMbB_tL-U

Since people are shitting on Galaxy, I might as well bring up my biggest peeve
>3D World, a game with more focus given on pure platforming gets shit on because the levels are "just floating around in space"
>Galaxy did the same exact shit with worse jump physics but it was okay because the background was space and the orchestra made it "epic"

Attached: 1452968201976.jpg (1920x1088, 168K)

Then what’s your favorite if neither of those are up to your standards?

no

Attached: 1564658015367.jpg (800x600, 173K)

I don't care for 3D Mario.

>Fun is a buzzword
Fucking hell user, I´d post the greentext with the goy predicting it in 2014 but fuck you people are retarded enought to make it happen

Attached: yotsuba.jpg (479x558, 65K)

Sunshine's platforming may be locked behind dumb secret areas, but it still controls better than Galaxy. Galaxy's movement is the soulless to 64 and Sunshine's soul.

Fair enough, most people hate 3D Zelda too.

galaxy 2 > the rest of them.
HH

Maeno

Attached: ping-pong-club-004.jpg (643x347, 34K)

It has the flaw a lot of indie games have in that, instead of trying to be its own thing, it focused too heavily on trying to recreate one thing, that one thing in this case being "overarching worlds that have several stars (moons) in them", without really realizing why it worked in 64 (and to a lesser extent, Sunshine).
64's worlds aren't just good because they're big, they also have well designed stars- every star is usually behind some kind of unique platforming challenge or a unique puzzle. That's not to say Odyssey has no unique platforming challenges or puzzles, or that Odyssey has no good moons, there are plenty, but the sheer fucking number of ultra-easy Moons where the challenge is "look around this corner" or "ground pound on the glowing spot" MASSIVELY dilutes the fun of finding them all. After you've beaten the game it just feels like a list of chores to get all the moons instead of feeling like a scavenger hunt.
Also, you're rarely in any actual danger- enemies are almost always just a puzzle element, rather than being anything close to being described as a threat.
Speaking of, the capture system is kinda lame. A great idea in concept, but in execution the enemies don't feel like unique ways to play the game and just feel like rigid puzzle pieces. Almost every enemy is boxed into a specific area, if they're even that mobile and aren't physically incapable of moving around outside of the immediate area. I think the Cheep Cheeps are the only capture that actually feels like a direct upgrade to Mario and that's just because the swimming in this game outside of Cheep Cheeps is awful.
That being said, the game was still alright. The initial playthrough was still pretty fun even if the post-game wasn't particularly interesting. It definitely holds promise that Nintendo put effort into expanding Mario's movement options, especially physics-based rolling which was completely unnecessary but made many areas far more fun to explore.

It was a space themed game with a gravity gimmick dipshit

galaxy 1 has the best atmosphere in the entire franchise, but the gameplay was pretty meh half the time
galaxy 2 went backwards on the atmosphere but improved the gameplay a lot
odyssey has some nice visual design, fun story though not as comfy as galaxy games; it however shits on both those games when it come to pure fun and gameplay

>he feels slow
The long jump is slower but his running speed is clearly faster, and the rolling speed is one of the fastest movement options in the 3D Marios bar sliding on water (and BLJs if you want to count that).
>Jumps are way too low
You clearly didn't play the game then considering how absurdly OP Cappy makes Mario's movement. The guy can jump around wherever the fuck he wants.
>swims like shit
100% agree, but Cheep Cheeps negate this. I do wish his default swimming was better though.

In terms of creature design Galaxy was peak kino

Attached: Scarafetor_Madre.png (781x967, 695K)

A gimmick that was severely underutilized.
Give me Mario Galaxy 3 that actually focuses on the gravity shit built up in 1 and I'll praise it to the moon and back.

you've already been btfo'd by other anons; but:
>swims like shit
that's because they want to give you an incentive to transform into a cheep cheep, you know the main gimmick of the game

The Observatory alone BTFO anything in the other 3D games

Attached: d431be94c5e07d248e848e22c2c3782d.png (2560x1920, 2.79M)

>in 64 (and to a lesser extent, Sunshine).
>64's worlds aren't just good because they're big, they also have well designed stars- every star is usually behind some kind of unique platforming challenge or a unique puzzle.
Not excusing Odysseys flaws but most of 64s Stars are hardly well designed

D World, a game with more focus given on pure platforming gets shit on because the levels are "just floating around in space"
i dont think this was he actual biggest most common argument against 3d world
a lot of people who disliked 3d world, enjoyed 3d land much more; 3d world for some reason was just incredibly boring

GALAXY had so much fucking SOUL

youtube.com/watch?v=Egsz3TciHLU

Same it's my lowest rated 3d mario game.
My main problem are the filler moons. Theres so many moons you get for doing nothing or really obscure things and felt they were in there to pad the game out.

>it however shits on both those games when it come to pure fun and gameplay
Heavily, heavily disagree. The galaxy games had so much unique, interesting, fun things going on, all built around the spin. Even the wiimote stuff like pulling yourself to stars was fun. Cappy in odyssey felt either under-used or not used as well as it could have been. The movement options were nice and Mario felt good to control, but with a few exceptions, I felt bored through most of the game. It's a good game, but I don't even think it's in the same ballpark as the galaxy games. Even the music was (mostly) a let down compared to even 3DWorld, let alone the galaxies.

>all built around the spin
which made all the platforming extremely easy, and thus less fun

The best thing about galaxy were the unique levels and musical score. Other than that it doesn't do much better than the other games.
Still it's my favourite 3d mario game.

Huh? Usually if people like either of them, 3D World is almost always named the better one. I have seen people say Land is better, but they definitely seem to be the minority.

I mean, there's probably one to three stars that are just sitting around somewhere slightly obscured in 64, but compare that to moons being littered over every fucking square inch of the level. I'm not saying 64 is flawless, but it handles the concept a lot better.
And I'm only saying Sunshine to a lesser extent because Sunshine's shine sprites feel completely different- shine sprites are very rarely open-ended and just waiting for you to pick them up, the entire level shifts its focus on one shine at a time, which you can argue is better, but personally I feel it's too different to be particularly comparable.

Odyssey, when it even has platforming, is just as easy if not easier.

Odessey is the hardest 3d mario by far. I wish it was easier.

agree

I never felt "good" after getting moons as they were just handed out like candy, Stars felt like an actual reward for your skill

64 and sunshine are harder than odyssey, but come on man
kek

I didn’t find Odyssey all that difficult, except for the beach volleyball moons.

Galaxy 2 is perfection so obviously it wasn't going to be better than that. If you thought that then you were just being stupid.

3D World, for all its flaws, is still a far more cohesive experience, frontloaded with fun and challenge instead of tucked away in secret like in Odyssey.

>peak with galaxy
lol

I guess it's subjective and I'll agree to disagree, but I don't know how you can possibly think that.

odyssey is a walk in the park

>couldn't use baby tier fludd movement in oddysey
cry more, you big baby

Attached: 1555102838572.jpg (670x670, 54K)

Galaxy 2 has shit atmosphere just like the 3D Land/World games

You have 10 seconds to explain why you are a grown man that still plays Mario games

Attached: 1565022605765.jpg (640x800, 61K)

>with a gravity gimmick
There are more levels that DON'T use the gimmick than ones that do
Shit, look at the levels that use the wii remote. You don't even go upside down in most of those, they could easily be slapped into any other Mario game (manta ray, bird, bubbles)

So? Go play Metroid if you want atmosphere and play Mario if you want good platforming.

That's like saying Battletoads is the worst Shakespearian play ever.

Who said I was a grown man

not really. the only thing more linear than the observatory was galaxy 2's godawful map and the stupid face ship.
but the observatory had nice music.

An underused gimmick is still better than a shit one
plus those wii remote sections were really fun

They all have great atmosphere as far as Mario games go, what are you talking about?

Grown men played the original Super Mario Bros.

>Odessey is the hardest 3d mario by far
It's not. Sunshine is the hardest, but for the wrong reasons.
>pachinko has weird physics
>leaf and lava boats control like shit
>tedious things like watermelon festival or waiting on slow platforms with yoshi who can't swim now
>blue coins making up a significant amount of shines

Because its the only pure platforming series still going and I have been playing them for 20 years

is that okay?

I think Odyssey has the best 3D Mario controls, but the blandest worlds. The fact it's fun to just move around is neat.

That's all optional though, except the boat. Galaxy 2 has the hardest main game.

>Odyssey is the hardest

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 62K)

Galaxy 2's main game is a cakewalk, though not as easy as Galaxy 1. Green stars and Grandmaster are optional.

Okay, imagine Galaxy with those controls. Perfect.

64, Sunshine and Galaxy had amazing soundtracks.

Name me a track other than Jump up Super Star that compares to stuff like Delphino Plaza or Gusty Garden Galaxy. You probably can't and music carries mario a long way.

I haven't played one since galaxy 1 came out

>imagine Galaxy with those controls
It doesn't work because you get too little to run on before the next cutscene star launches you to another linear isolated section of platforms.

the first dinosaur stage and new donk festival had great music but thats about it

damn shame

I mean, you're going to shit on them regardless but whatever.
youtube.com/watch?v=QKUFFiZXuE8
youtube.com/watch?v=hLPsqY79BAE
youtube.com/watch?v=lllIhkq57Rc
youtube.com/watch?v=4vWAZfLuNoE
youtube.com/watch?v=H4SomOznbiE

Are you retarded? This is the most versatile moveset in a 3D Mario since Sunshine.

youtube.com/watch?v=9d76GIP090E
youtube.com/watch?v=aprvDnM5H6A
youtube.com/watch?v=lv2YYE99ak0
youtube.com/watch?v=xpYK8q6mw88
youtube.com/watch?v=ZcE34q0EIHU
youtube.com/watch?v=FDipmAmLC38

I liked the rabbit mecha battle one.

Delphino Plaza?

You call that music? What are you, gay? This is what Mario sounds like.

youtube.com/watch?v=EmD9WnLYR5I

>Are you retarded?
he literally said it's like they took a mario with grid-locked movement as a result of accommodating the wii remote for easy multiplayer control access and put it in a different game when odyssey mario has full analog
of course he's retarded

youtube.com/watch?v=zokxa9mG358

Delphino plaza is literally the only music I remember of Sunshine, and that's because it is in smash. Sunshine was forgettable in every aspect, worst 3d Mario by far