ITT: Amazing games with horrible Final bosses

ITT: Amazing games with horrible Final bosses

Attached: file.png (837x576, 921K)

>brainlet didn't get it

What's horrible about it?

>entire final disc about fighting kuja
>lol here's an out of nowhere metaphor for death that was never mentioned once

Summoner 2 is only of my favourite games, but it went full retard at the final boss fight.

Darksiders 2, the demon guy right before him was harder.

Ah, I see. So was right after all.

Attached: Water's great eh junior.jpg (1280x720, 72K)

I would love to know the explanation because I clearly missed it.

I see, I see. That explains it perfectly.

>game's theme is fear of death
>you fight death at the end
?

kuja destroys the crystal which provides life to the universe so this guy thinks everyone wants to die and has come to kill everyone

It’s a callback to cloud of darkness/zeromus. He was supposed to be build up more but they were hitting the limit with space on the ps1. As a result Necron seems pretty random as final boss.

The Grand Cross

I dont think he destroys it because then all life would simply have ended, no need for necron to come up.

Well, he tries to destroy it with his final ultima. I don't think we see the crystal after that. But then again it's been years. Might give it a replay, feeling a bit nostalgic

That's the coolest boss attack in the entire franchise.

That's just what happens when you die. Necron shows up to reap your soul. If you manage to fight him off, you retroactively cancel your death.

Yakuza Kiwami, that fat guy near the beginning of the game that takes way too long to beat

Why does Necron have boobies?

Why do you?

>retards actually defend this literal who final boss

I don't have boobies though

He doesn't destroy the crystal he just kills the party. And Necron isn't really death he is the other heart of the Iifa Tree (which as the warden of the soul transfer essentially makes him death), hence why killing Necron kills the Iifa Tree and stops the soul transfer.

Those are called pecs you mong.

>Exdeath and Necron have the same signature move
>They're both really trees

But literal who final bosses are literally a staple of final fantasy

Yeah, like, c'mon, that clown from Final Fantasy 6 was a literal who that only appeared in the final battle.

>Kefka
>Exdeath
>Sephiroth

And maybe Ultimecia because even though you don't meet her until the end she's like sort of kind of there as well

Don't forget Emprah from FF2.

>Garland
>technically you ran into him once but the whole tweest is that the boss is a literal who

>Emperor
>Your actual nemesis throughout the game

>Cloud of Darkness
>Literal Who

>Zeromus
>Literal Who

>Exdeath
>Your nemesis you fight throughout the game

>Kefka

>Sephiroth

>Ultimecia
>Literal Who

>Necron
>Literal Who

>Yu Yevon
>Mystery Nigga you've heard about all game

>Vayne
>Public hero you've heard about all game

>Orphan
>Mystery Nigga you've heard about all game

>Ardyn

It's tit for tat, but half the games you do end up fighting some rando or the puppet master after taking care of your nemesis.

>Ultimecia
>not Mystery Nigga you've heard about all game

ff9 was a love letter to classic FF and in classic FF a boss shows up out of nowhere at the last second.

What was she trying to do again? Collapse time or something right?

It's the other way around
Terrible game with good final boss

Pic unrelated?

nah the build up is there but the game got reworked a bit in the end. the last boss was supposed to be hades whos now the secret boss in memoria. all the numerous eye motifs throughout the game are foreshadowing to him watching and observing the story that transpires. but they scrapped hades for necron or eternal darkness or whatever he is called. idk why.

Compress time in a gambit to achieve godhood

concept art of hades in the last boss arena. notice the eyes on the colosseum as well.

Attached: Hill_of_Despair_FFIX_Art_1.jpg (834x888, 353K)

i love this game but Op is right this was a poor choice and it felt like Kuja was too easy and the embodiment of anticreation shows up. I mean Kuja was egotistical and all but feeling like he could summon the end of everything by his hate, which happens, is pretty egotistical me think. har har.

the honestly should have stuck with Hades, I mean an Eidolon doing what an Eidolon does goes into the theme of the game.

that sounds so much cooler than Necron though.

At least that boss wasn't scripted unlike Type-0's final boss.

Attached: 1534130249737.png (676x544, 518K)

>Slow ass single rocket launcher that can't hit you unless you stand still for ten whole seconds
>Useless timer that's way too long than anyone could reasonably take to finish
>Moving the cores all the way to the same button three times is a chore

Attached: 864301.jpg (1024x640, 134K)

i still think its funny how they use half torso giant sized monstrosities as Gods or some devine form to indicate they are all powerful.

>console
>impulse 101

Mechanically speaking, Necron's a lot of fun to fight

If only the game didn't take 5 second to load everytime you want to do a action in combat, combined with overtly long animations for abilities/summons/magic.
Having auto-regen on is like cheating due to how the heal tics

Honestly I'm glad they did. At least Necron fits the the existential theme of the game.

>Hades is watching you throughout the game

And? Some fat fuck is watching some dumb kids run around trying to stop an alien invasion masqueraded as an arms race now he wants a piece of you. How is that less random than fighting death.

because he is a Eidolon. the idea that he wanted the destruction of summoners, no all life would death over stepping its bounds.

Attached: 461B1C67-3588-4C43-91AE-5E3AA6A3066A.png (662x817, 460K)

Do people actually like the moon theme from IV?

it was what it was. it was my first Final Fantasy so i thought it was meant to be told like that.

>fits the the existential theme of the game.
the hades draft was wildly different from the final product. it wasnt just last boss that was switched. blank was the main character and zidane was a supporting tantalus member. protagonist had the same sort of story beat as in the final game since blank's model is like a corpse stitched together from patches of skin, an soulless "empty vessel" if you will. there was no "terra" instead you'd travel to hell (which was something like a combination of terra and memoria) through the portal and fight hades at the end.

whaaaaaat that some extra knowledge that I never heard. If the original draft was to make blank the main character why use the monkey king story of going hell.

1- Kuju suicide kills all of them when they fight at the crystal
2- When they beat necron they wake up on the roots of the iifa tree
3- When Kuja wakes up (who was not fighting against Necron) he was deeper in the roots closer to the trunk.

The Roots of the iifa tree were pulling in their souls to eat them.

Necron was the physical embodiment of nihilism and death. You fought against that despair in a method befitting the game's genre (JRPG): a boss battle. Not everything to be overcome is a person, some trials are in the form of ideas, and Necron represented the rotten idea that twisted the hearts of the game's villains and that so challenged its heroes: that nothing mattered and that life wasn't worth living.

That so many people think it's inappropriate or comes out of nowhere demonstrates a sort of juvenile media illiteracy. FFIX is basically still a game for children and young adults and it's depressing that this most basic high school-level analysis isn't immediately obvious to anyone who plays it.

I played it when I was 10 or so, I didn't grasp the intricacies of the themes in the game at the time, but battling a personification of death for the right to live was pretty obvious to me back then

But even knowing that, it doesn't it make it less shitty. Also this Reminder that even if you fully understand symbolisms and meanings, it doesn't automatically mean you appreciate them all.

>And Necron isn't really death he is the other heart of the Iifa Tree
No, he fucking isn't. Even Ultimania only describes him as something summoned from another dimension by Kuja's hatred. That's all there is to him; everything is just desperate fanwank by IXfags who can't accept that their favorite game has Jupiter-sized plot holes.

>nihilism
stop using this word, it doesnt make you sound smarter.

Why is it shitty? FFIX would have an inconsistent message if the final conflict was with another person, it'd just be one more murder (even if it was a necessary one) in a series of trauma and death. Better to fight the idea that perpetuates that cycle of violence and to stand strong for the will to live.

Necron in the original Japanese script is basically some dark divinity that Kuja accidentally awakens with his actions.
He then pulls the same shit as P4's final boss, deciding that Kuja's actions obviously meant every living being thinks in the same way.

>Thread about final bosses
>early boss
with that reading comprehension no wonder this place is shit

probably too edgy. might also be that blank was written to be another tabula rasa like squall and zidane slowly was written to be a more fleshed out character even in the supporting role. then they switched them around and restructured the story. it was pretty early in pre production so it isnt that noticeable unless you really dig into the concept art and developer blogs.

Yeah, Ultimecia is mentioned by name at the beginning of disc 3 and she technically comes into the picture as early as Timber. It's just poorly executed foreshadowing at that point, but she's far from literal who.

Shadow of Mordor

>FF9
>amazing

It sounds stupid on paper but I can sort of see where they were going with this. Like how Garland fucked himself over by messing with other worlds instead of fixing his own, Kuja nearly did the same by throwing stones in a interdimensional greenhouse.

It had a pretty neat soundtrack.

Attached: SH3.png (767x1079, 1.25M)

Isn't that any FF?

Attached: BeastGanon_1.jpg (1920x1080, 234K)

Kuja sucks too, what a lame motivation.

That one weird horror game on the dreamcast where the final boss is a disfigured Sonic.

>sequence of random dragon, Garland, Kuja, Trance Kuja, then Necron
>b-but the last one is the only that counts

yeah, always this same fucking thread

excuse me

Attached: 1523368049261.jpg (324x454, 43K)

Not particularly when I first played it, then I learned IV was supposed to be their "star wars" or something, and looking back, I don't mind it compared to the shit that's happened later in the franchise.

Illbleed?

The lava boat section right before it was the real final boss fight

Spla2n's final boss was such a fucking disappointment
Worst part, you have to do it 8 times to 100% the game

But...Zodick the Hellhog isn't the final boss, user.

Attached: c113f4de4e908a102290cb826c81fdaeb9489dd772d7ea82fdbd830c811775c8_large.jpg (610x343, 38K)

Is that the "beast with the two backs"?

So was the Bowser fight really a metaphor for Mario coming to terms with the fact that Peach and Bowser have a son?

Honestly, the majority of western games have terrible final boss fights even if the rest of the game is good. I think this is because the idea of a boss fight to most western devs seems to be "a regular enemy with 10x more HP".

I've consistently noticed that the final bosses which people seem to regard highly were always against characters who were introduced earlier. Necron might play into IX's narrative themes, but the issue people take with it is that the final boss is someone who they've never even heard of before. I'm convinced that 50% of a good final boss is how you build them up over the course of the game.

The problem is not fighting an abstract concept, is that is done with no nuance and presented in a traditional videogame boss way to the point is more ridiculous than anything.

How would you handle FFIX final boss anyway?
I think Necron could have at least appeared the moment you step in the last dungeon and appear after each boss fight to explain some lore about him or just taunt the party.

>How would you handle FFIX final boss anyway?
By foreshadowing little by little over the course of the game.

Yeah, it doesn't even have to be on your face, just something subtle.

This

>is stronger than the concept of death itself

Attached: hqdefault (4).jpg (480x360, 21K)

>>Ardyn
>>Your nemesis you fight throughout the game

no, it was the Empire that Ardyn destroyed off screen because they were no longer useful to them. Ardyn became the final boss because he was the only badguy left

1001x this

what the fuck was up ith ozma

>Crystal first mentioned at the end of disc 4
>nobody cares
>Necron first mentioned at the end of disc 4
>considered a huge insult and bad writing
Okay but why though?

Attached: b940efa65eebc3a6f0d5686ad969ba72.png (2312x3629, 607K)

What the fuck was up with the true final boss, anyway? That shit was nonsense.